IMDb > Parental Guidance (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Parental Guidance

Parental Guidance More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

More Movies Need to Be More Like This!

Author: Nolan Duncan
24 July 2013

From what I have witnessed, this movie is delightful. I haven't watch a film such as this in a very long while. The story itself puts so much family fun and creativity into it that it made me smile and laugh joyously from start to finish (not many movies can give me such a reaction). It was good-hearted and simple, and sometimes simplicity is the best way to go. The soundtrack itself was unique for this current generation of filmmaking. I felt like I was in a movie made ten years ago (that of which I really enjoyed); it felt nostalgic yet modern. Again, it isn't the type of movie to get all "thrilled" about. It honestly is a nice feature to sit down and relax with the whole family, and to be completely reassuring, I honestly would watch it again in the future.

Not worth the time spent

Author: murthy-adivirk from India
22 July 2013

The aim of a family film needs to be the analysis of the relations. The ambitions, the next generation, the generation gap, the parental aspirations, the learning on the job for parenthood, the triumphs and of course the laughs.

The film successfully fails on all these parameters. The topics are touched but never analyzed. The important issues aren't delved into but just mentioned and the textbook cliché is copied and pasted. It clearly looks like a film made using a template where somethings were changed but the original formula is the same.

One reason i picked up the film was because I'm a huge fan of Billy Crystal. A script which cant make the best of Billy Crystal, is a failure.

This film isn't simply worth the time spent. There is nothing new in it.

Needs Guidance!

Author: Art_Of_The_Underground from Dorset, UK.
11 July 2013

PG starts off OK with Artie's (Billy Crystal) Baseball commentating but as he loses his job it's not just Artie that loses the plot! Arties daughter asks Artie and his wife Diane (Bette Midler) if they can look after their 3 children while they go on a Work Vacation! But as Mum and Dad vacate the film crumbles!

PG remarks on rebuilding relationships, generation gaps, different parental styles and the over controlled environments some children live in. Unfortunately it doesn't really make any clear points, messages or morals, instead it leaves us with bad jokes and a jumbled film!

Over the years kids & family films have had to find ways to entertain a wide audience in terms of age range but PG didn't even convince the young kids that were watching! Overall an awkward 100 Minutes that was in severe need of Guidance!

Parental Guidance: Three Strikes and you're.. Not Out?

Author: SimGunther from United States
1 July 2013

What do you think of when you have to rent a movie for the kids to be distracted for about an hour and forty minutes? This movie might take the cake. "Parental Guidance" features a Baseball Announcer (Billy Crystal) that gets fired from his job just because he is not tech-savvy and is forced to babysit three annoying children for these type-A parents (Marisa Tomei and Tom Everett Scott) who are looking for a vacation away from their kids.

I honestly felt that the film took too few risks with the humor of the film from the "wetting your pants" gag to the fact that the children have an extremely strict diet. Even if the kids were supposed to be "annoying by design", it still does not change the fact that they are still annoying at times. The worst of the kids is the red-headed terror: Barker, who I just hated throughout the entire film, even if he did grow as a character. Harper is the overachiever of the three kids and I didn't mind her at all, except for the lines that were written for her. Turner is the kid that is shy and has a speech impediment. He was my favorite kid just because he's the least annoying kid of the three.

The highlight of the film is Billy Crystal, who "calls everything he sees", since it is in his nature as a baseball announcer. This sets up the only two sequences that made me laugh out loud: The speech therapy scene with Turner and the first baseball sequence with Turner. However, the rest of the film was filled with cliché humor and it knows it. Maybe it is designed to make fun of the "cliche family comedy" industry by trapping Billy Crystal in a world that is a "cliche family comedy movie" and we get to see his reaction as he tries to transforms this world into a unique comedy experience. Kind of reminds me of a slightly worse version of "Pleasantville".

Did it have it's genuine moments? Sure it did and that's what upped the movie's credit a few points, but otherwise just isn't worth it for those who are desensitized from the thousands of comedies that you've seen (like myself). If you are new to the comedy scene, maybe this movie will be a good distraction for your kids.

I will give this movie a (Billy Crystal-Ball Cake of Lies) out of 10.

Modern parenting, modern therapies and old-school - loved it!

Author: bruziene from Lithuania
18 June 2013

I am not sure why this movie got so many negative reviews - my guess it that people were hoping for something different from what this movie has to offer. I found it hilarious. The way modern parenting methods (Use your voice! or The game always ends in a tie so as not to traumatize children), therapies (we don't speak at speech therapies) is portrayed makes you laugh at the absurdity, but also realize that this is taken from real life. It may look overly absurd and exaggerated, but it makes you think whether or not all of these ways of politically correct and protective children raising really makes them happy? Yes, I would agree with some reviewers that some of the jokes are clichés, some of the situations are clichés, all seen in tens if not hundreds of other films, but this movie is not about them. I guess you need to have your kids and be able to see the differences between how we were raised, how our grandparents were raised and how we are supposed and urged to raise kids nowadays in order to appreciate what you see in this movie. 10/10 in spite of all clichés and minor drawbacks. Loved it!

What a Fun Movie!

Author: cynmull from DC
24 August 2014

I read the "expert" reviews when the movie hit the theaters. Subsequently I did not see the movie at that time. It has appeared on cable numerous times, & I have seen the movie more than I can count. I find something else to like about it each time I watch. It is a family focused movie - heartwarming & funny and at times, hysterical.

When grandparents Artie (Billy Crystal) and Diane (Bette Midler) are asked by their somewhat distant (emotionally and geographically) daughter Alice (Marisa Tomei) and son-in-law Phil (Tom Everett Scott) to care for their three children while the parents attend a work conference/mini-vacation, Bette is thrilled to try to connect with the family (especially the grand-kids). Artie has just been fired as the long-time announcer for the Fresno Grizzlies for being "old-school", so he's going into the situation a bit wounded. The fact that the young family has a talking/interactive house and car (which Phil invented/developed) is baffling and Artie takes the mispronunciation of his name personally (& it's just funny). The hyper-type A parenting style of Alice and Phil (especially Alice) is well balanced by the easy-going style of Diane and Artie. Artie allows his self-centeredness to interfere on occasion – that's when the most trouble arises. Still, Artie and Diane are a strong team and that heart is shared with Alice, Phil & and kids. The three children are distinctly different from each other, but all affected by the type-A parenting of Alice and Phil. A strong sense of family and love is what binds them together – warts and all.

I enjoy watching Billy Crystal movies, he does not disappoint in this movie as well. Bette Midler just glowed in this role – she held her own with Billy Crystal without dominating; Bette just made the scene better and believable. The movie has an all-around great cast; the acting is natural. LOVE the closing credits & final scene after the credits. This movie has become one of my recent favorites.

My oh my...Generation Gap

Author: gradyharp from United States
16 September 2013

Often in restaurants, eateries, while shopping, or while just observing behavior patterns wherever they occur one wonders whatever happened to parenting and discipline. Reasoning with public misbehaviors doesn't even lift an eyebrow for fear of damaging a child's freedom of expression. Place this depressing bit of generation gap on the screen and the result is this flimsy, trite, overacted, and wearisome PARENTAL GUIDANCE. The true test of patience is being able to resist turning it off. Sixty-something grandparents Artie (Billy Crystal) and Diane (Bette Midler), pushed into the background because of their old-fashioned structured ways of dealing with their grandchildren Harper (Bailee Madison), Turner (Joshua Rush), and Barker (Kyle Harrison Breitkopf) as raised in the permissive non-confrontational new parenting modes of daughter Alice (Marisa Tomei) and husband Phil (Tom Everett Scott). Asked to 'baby sit' for a week, the two forms of parenting clash and the result is a display of some of the most trite overindulged childish behavior ever screened. There are occasional moments of giggles - such as when Artie bribes the kids with money to do his will - but for the most part this is just a loud silly movie for the masses. There are some good actors here but by and large their acting is sub par and who can blame them. This is a film that falls into the 'must miss' category even if you love Marisa Tomei, Bette Midler, and Billy Crystal.

Grady Harp

The kids nullify the enjoyment a little bit, but it's not bad at all

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
31 August 2013

After all the success Billy Crystal has had, he's not exactly in dire need to make movies like he used too, but he has dropped out of the limelight a bit to say the least aside from some parts here and there. How did his venture back into movies go? Not bad, not bad at all. This manages to squeeze all it can out of its two charismatic leads in Crystal & Bette Midler. The kids themselves do what kids do; they tend to be spoiled brats on a lot of occasions. I had trouble relating to any of them except for Barker (Kyle Harrison Breitkopf) It does manage to have a fair amount of laughs, and watching Crystal & Midler chase after kids was actually rather fun. Favorite moment of the movie has to be the cake scene involving the kids. I howled at that one. Billy Crystal is funny as per usual. His chemistry with Midler is on, and he had some great lines. Nice to see you back Billy. Bette Midler is classy and very entertaining to watch, I dug her just as much as Crystal. Marisa Tomei has aged with grace, and she did well in her role, despite being slightly unsympathetic at points.

Final Thoughts: It was decent for a family film, and it is innocuous enough for the whole family to watch. Worth a look

5.5/10

badly acted but with great jokes and for the whole family to enjoy

Author: Loopnova
27 June 2013

I actually enjoyed the movie despite its low rating.it's really light hearted comedy.you really feel that whoever contributed to the movie had a strong bond with it.the story though,a little clichéd is actually entertaining.the moments between the family and those little memories are very touching and realistic.it leaves you with this weird yet wonderful "happy to be with family" feeling.i was extremely impressed with the script.it really helped the movie a lot.the jokes were also hilarious and like all other family comedies there was a character for everyone in the family to relate to.it was a good enough family movie and for the audience it was made for(families) it does really well but families are usually not judge mental of movies they watch together it's more for the fun of being together that's why plenty of users have given it a fairly decent rating.

i enjoyed it too but only as a family movie.after re watching on my own I realize there is stuff that bothers me.firstly I have to say the acting was terrible.i'm usually a fan of Marisa Tomei but I must say I hated her in this role.she tried to hard to be a stressed out parent and it was really over acted same goes for Bailee Madison.but I thought she pulled it together towards the end.the script as I mentioned earlier is very well written and very touching and with a little better casting this could have been much better but that does not mean it's a bad movie it just had more potential so as my final verdict i'd say its a really good family movie.great script,touching story,appropriate for kids and has very relate able characters(for everyone).for the type of audience it's for it thought it was wonderful.the acting which bothered me most is not a big enough reason to stop you from watching this....so have fun with your family or friends it ought to cheer you up :D

not so grand but Crystal and Midler were great

Author: lagudafuad from Nigeria
13 January 2013

Parental Guidance can be seen as a sit down family movie on a beautiful Saturday morning or a struggling sitcom trying to get off a Friday timeslot, don't go rushing to the cinema expecting a masterpiece just be patient for the DVD release. The movie is predictable, sloppy and at times out right outrageous to be taken seriously. Parental Guidance suffers also from lack of creativity, as some scenes and elements can be said to be taken from other family oriented movies like Cheaper by the Dozen (2003), which from my opinion is just lame.

The movie is directed by Race to Witch Mountain (2009) director Andy Fickman, and it stars Billy Crystal and Bette Midler. (who were the only reason I got up to go see the movie, and due to the box office performance of the movie I guess some people also fell for it, thinking their presence was a recipe for a good movie) Both Crystal and Midler play married grandparents who are called upon to babysit their grandkids for some days. Ironically, you will expect Marisa Tomei who plays Crystal and Midler's daughter to shine along with the two classic actors, but she fell short.

The movie plot is as I said is about two grandparents called upon by their daughter Alice (Marisa Tomei), to come babysit her kids as she and her husband plan a getaway together. Artie and Diane (Crystal and Midler) show up to find out their grandkids are raised in the most awkward way, as their parents practically allow them to do what they want, never saying no to them or correcting them.

Diane (Midler) wants to connect with her grandkids as she and Artie seem to be left out of their grandkids life, so she begs Artie to be at his best, but Artie who was still chasing a dream selfishly ignores Diane's warning and almost wrecked what was left of the family bond.

As far as acting go, Crystal and Midler were head and shoulders above everybody else, they were a fun couple and wonderful to see on screen, they did their portrayal pretty well enough, but their others counterparts in the movie were just below standard.

Parental Guidance had a bad rating from critics, holding a 19% rating on Rotten Tomatoes although 66% of audience enjoyed it, I enjoyed seeing Billy Crystal and Bette Midler but that is not a good enough reason for me to suggest to anyone to go watch this movie, but as I said wait for the DVD release and have fun watching it together with your family, because for me this movie should have been a TV movie or a B movie.

www.lagsreviews.com