IMDb > You and I (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
You and I

You and I More at IMDbPro »

WOW some seriously stupid crap

Author: Jon Death from United States
10 February 2012

There's no real story here. The movie relies on being foreign to make it interesting but it's just not. The characters are underwritten and majority of the events underwritten as well. The directing was equally as bad as the writing. I wonder how these actors have careers when they pick their scripts so poorly.

Then there is a happy ending that is incredibly convenient and boring. It's a failed attempt at a cutting edge, rock'n'roll flick that is really just glorifying karaoke.

The reviewer praising this with 10 stars and a deranged, raving positive review probably wrote this hunk of crap lol. Whenever I see a review so over the top for a movie so incredibly bad it's pretty much a given someone that worked on the movie wrote it.

Don't pay to see this and honestly, don't waste your time if you can see it for free.

not what i expected

Author: punkfish999 from United Kingdom
13 February 2013

The acting between the two lead ladies are brilliant, Barton in particular adapts to the Russian accent flawlessly, had I not been aware previously that she was an American I would have thought she was Russian, and I can honestly say that I've never seen a film like this before.

The plot is loose at times, highly unbelievable for one and poorly constructed for two. The script is probably what I am most ashamed of, in places it's dull, not needed and slightly childish.

After waiting since 2008 for this to come out I cannot say it was worth it. A delay of 5 years warrants a better end product i'm afraid.

Not to mention the DVD I was sent refused to play audio until I spent the good part of an hour tampering with the settings.

A mixed review

Author: jonathanruano from Canada
23 March 2013

The trailer proudly announces that "You and I" was directed by "two-time academy award nominee Roland Joffe." Indeed, as unbelievable as this may sound, Roland Joffe used to be a great director back in the 1980s. Joffe reached the pinnacle of his career with the Killing Fields (1984), a masterful film that combines two stories into one: a war correspondent (Sam Waterston) who covers the U.S. military intervention and the Khmer Rouge uprising in Cambodia before he is forced to leave; and his side kick Cambodian reporter Dith Pran (Haing Ngor) who is struggles to survive the Khmer Rouge's brutal concentration camp in the countryside. Amazingly this British director, who is capable of directing a magisterial film like the Killing Fields, has since then made one bad film after the other. "You and I" is just the latest in a litany of Roland Joffe travesties.

To be sure, the beginning of "You and I" did intrigue me. Two wild young women, Lana (Mischa Barton) and Janie (Shantel VanSanten), embark upon an endless night on the town (which lasts for days) amidst Moscow's high society and underground criminal world. They take a devil may care attitude to their colourful surroundings and, as one may expect, Janie in particular gets mixed up with the wrong kind of people and becomes thoroughly immersed in the dangerous world of illicit substances. Only love - in this case a lesbian relationship - can save Lana and Janie from their own self-destructive urges.

Unfortunately, the downfall of "You and I" is that the love which triumphs over adversity is not believable. Mischa Barton and Shantel VanSanten do share a lesbian sex scene in the middle of this picture which takes place largely beneath the bed covers. But there is nothing in the body language of either girl to suggest that they are physically attracted to each other to say nothing about being in love. Mischa Barton's performance illustrates the challenges of speaking Russian (with a Russian accent) and creating a character simultaneously. Although she is a British actress, Barton speaks Russian very well and her Russian accent is quite convincing. Unfortunately, she has not been able to create a character who could hold our interest. Shantel VanSanten, who kept her American accent, has also failed to do anything fresh with her own character. But the film's biggest problem is that the relationship between the two girls is neither plausible or interesting. If neither girl finds the other attractive, why should we care about whether their love triumphs over adversity? In fact, even if you approach this film as a guilty pleasure where the love story is obviously absurd but you are moved by it anyway (as is so often the case with romance novels), even on that level "You and I" fails. Roland Joffe and the producers must have recognized the serious flaws in their own film, because towards the end "You and I" introduces the TATU girls, Lena Katina and Yulia Volkova, who are charming and charismatic enough to blow the two previous women, VanSanten and Barton, right out of the water. But there is no logical reason for the TATU girls to be inveigled into the plot, which suggests to me that they were introduced at the end of "You and I" so that the film-makers could salvage something out of the wreckage. Instead of using them to hedge his bets, Roland Joffe perhaps should have made Lena Katina and Yulia Volkova the stars of his own picture.

You & I is an extraordinary story about two girls.

Author: clarissa6721 from United States
4 February 2011

They are both different, one wants to be a model (Lana), the other - party girl and lives with no worries (Janie). Very dynamic plot, not call you aside for a moment. Director and the actors are very well able to convey the atmosphere prevailing in their world. Both actresses have played the role perfectly. Mischa Barton in the role of a Russian girl looks good. And Shantel VanSanten who everyone probably knows now from THE CW'S One Tree Hill in the role of an American who has lived in Moscow for nearly a year does not look worse who is damn good in the role. I am telling you right now Shantel is going to be a huge star in the future, she is a really really good actress. She steals the movie for me, very good portrayal of this character.

Here, each character is her character, her experience ... I liked the combination of the glamorous life and the simple life somewhere in the outback. Very impressive scenes look at the club, and on the other hand shows the backwoods of Russia. The film shows the life of the big city (parties, sex, drugs, money problems, death, people with disabilities, transportation, poverty, wealth, love, hate, good and evil). The love/sex scenes between the girls, Janie and Lana, was shot very subtly and beautifully.

In general, liked the movie, very good directing and camera work!

I hope this gets a good release in America because it deserves it.

falls flat despite t.A.T.u. and pretty stars - but a very interesting train-wreck this one is!

Author: RavenGlamDVDCollector from South Africa
12 June 2016

A movie strongly flavored by Russian girl pop band t.A.T.u. and with Mischa Barton? I had to get this, though I took the negative reviews (not only those here on IMDb - just check out that link on Wikipedia, 'like a revue at an old age home, only the old people would be more fun' - you have a way with words, fella, but you don't know what you're saying) to heart and expected to be let down. It's surely not as bad as my colleague Mr. One-Star John Death here posted. That said, I would give it serious black marks for failing to live up to better expectations from any movie that stars two beautiful girls, and basks in the music of a hot girl group.

Make no mistake, this is not great. But Mischa fans will not be disappointed, and there is some vibrant club scenes with great pulsating music. The language is bit of problem, :) quickly gets into the way. Better to let Russians speak their own language, aided, for us, by subtitles. Right there when the movie began I actually thought "hoo s*** I got the Russian copy" but what relief when some English appeared. No, of course the movie is in English, but you're going to have to rely on those subtitles for some of the English bits in lots of places.

I felt a warm glow towards the end of the movie as the dreams of the losing party was being realized. If only that warm glow could have been with me from the start, because sure as Siberia this movie has some low points. But to give it only one star, as my strict disgruntled friend here did, no, that's coming down way too hard on it.

Wholeheartedly recommended for t.A.T.u. fans. Yes, the duo actually appears in person, with a live concert performance. They sound like a slice of heaven. Do I need to say more than that?

As for Mischa Barton, a surprising performance. Surely she must have been weighed down by the impediment of that faked Russian accent. She fares so well that anybody who hadn't ever seen her before, would certainly believe that she is Russki peasant girl come to city. So, to all her many (jealous, deeply envious) critics... take that!

Mischa most definitely wasn't into that girly circular revolving bed romp. Wonder what went through that pretty head? For this I gave up THE O.C.? For this I elected to have Marissa Cooper killed off? (Okay, just a personal thought, but I'd wager a lot that I'm right)

Has more reality than any other high grossing films out there.

Author: thefountainhead628
26 February 2013

I just saw this movie today and I can say it can be one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. It was about dreams, about life's troubles and happiness. Anything that happened in this movie, happened or happening in real life. The movie's story is really not impossible to happen. It happens. It can teach you a lesson. It can make you realize about your dreams.

The camera is great. The sounds are well played at the right time. It's really entertaining movie but there's a lot more to it. It got lessons. It got heart. It got reality. I can say it's life story. Not a fantasy or pure imagination. I'm not saying those are bad things. But I always prefer a movie that I can relate to, or depicts what I really see in this world. This one's for real!

Breakaway Film Review

Author: BreakawayDaily from Canada
7 March 2012

Been waiting for this movie for a while. Ever since I heard they were making a movie revolving around the popular Russian act T.A.T.U. I have always really enjoyed their music so I was stoked to see the movie. The movie was really good, I was really impressed by all the actual Russian dialogue and the actors (especially Misha Barton) did amazing at speaking the language and speaking with an accent. For the T.A.T.U fans, it is great that the girls actually appear in the film, too bad it wasn't longer. The plot was different too. It is not just a "lesbian" film, which was what I was expecting but a story of overcoming the tough road you have been dealt and making your way in the world. Both girls were living a difficult life. One rich but addicted to drugs, the other, poor with no future. Through music and finding each other they eventually ended up living a dream.

Breakaway Film http://breakawayradio.ca/film

A cute little gem that was worth the wait.

Author: (TerryOTHFitzgy@yahoo.com) from United States
11 February 2012

The film has incredibly beautiful camera work, the picture is amazing in the movie!

The entire film flows perfectly, a very short scene, every shot - taken separately is an important moment in the life of our two main characters, seemingly unrelated. Throughout the film the music of tATu's new album of WM, is ideally suited to all the action / / and bits of various artists. The acting from Mischa Barton and Shantel VanSanten is really good, they play their characters perfectly.

You an i-is the usual story, shown extraordinary. This is a story of love and jealousy, the feelings and the surprises inherent in every human being who can either save or destroy his life!

I say check it, worth a watch. The directing is unique and good, the acting is great by the two leads and Anton Yelchin. It is just a cute fun little gem that will come to be appreciated in the years to be.

a modern Cinderella story between two girls

Author: caitlinsinger67 from United States
11 February 2012

You and I film shows how difficult it is today without connections to win a place in the sun. This is a film about love between two girls, Lana provincial, who dreams of becoming a model, Janie who is an American, a free spirit party girl who lives with no worries.

This is a modern Cinderella story, which finds its Snow White through the Internet, and neither the stepmother nor the handsome prince, can not stop them being together. It is a dynamic story, it does not take you aside for a minute. Director and the actors are able to convey the atmosphere prevailing in our world. Acquainted on the Internet, having experienced the happiness of the first meeting, joint gatherings, girls did not differ after hearing each other.

And when there is not hope for the happy end, Janie finds the producer tATu, which brings Janie and Lana back together

... Together forever ...

Will the film be interested to non fans of tATu? I think so. The issues raised in the film does not leave anyone indifferent. For the theme of Respect individual drugs, I hope it does not soften ... I am glad that this is not trivial melodrama not a film about tATu, which would be of interest only to fans, tatu only has like a 4 minute cameo,but all that happens in one way or another connected with them.

The fact that the soundtrack is diluted with other performers, too, plus, the song is in harmony with the plot. Especially worth mentioning Shantel VanSanten from One Tree Hill - she does a great job in the film and bypasses Mischa Barton of The OC. Anton Yelchin does a good job playing the slimy yet hilarious Edward.

Author: Matt Davis
11 February 2012

Two girls, totally unlike each other and are real. We can find these on the street every day. Lana - provincial, dreams of escape from the city to become famous and Janie - troubled teen, whose lack of parental love. United on the basis of love tATu they go for a beautiful life, but get in big trouble. And each in her own. Thus the film is divided into two story lines.

In her "adventures" Lana discovers the true face of the fashion business, and it is far from perfect, but instead is covered with ugly pimples and sores. Lana realizes that in order to become a model you have to pay either in cash or in kind. "What's the difference: a slut or a model?" However, Lana is a difference. Refusing to become a litter for Edward, she goes to look for money, but even then she will be a complete fiasco.

As for Janie, she strikes up a close friendship with drugs. It would seem that her life is now a solid holiday: woke up, pricked, flew, etc. However, suicide is one of the drug abusers made ​​her think again. In fact, a very powerful scene. Probably my favorite of the film.

As for the movie, I watched it in one breath. Never got bored and wanted to yawn. There are moments where you laugh, cry, being scared. Actors, too, did not disappoint. It fit perfectly into the picture. Especially pleased with Shantel VanSanten in her drug-image and a deputy in the performances of Aleksandr Byelonogov and Anton Yelchin. And all of this is pumped by a great soundtrack.

Incidentally, the film is not about lesbians, same-sex love is there shown in very small doses, but rather some hints. But more about that immature child psychology (heroines 16 or 17 years) is open to all new, young people are searching for themselves in the world, fighting for their place in the sun, trying everything.

10/10 I say check it out.