IMDb > Silver Linings Playbook (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Silver Linings Playbook

Silver Linings Playbook More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 66:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Stunningly accurate look at the bipolar life.

Author: AdultAudienceMember from United States
29 December 2012

I am bi-polar. I have been that way since I was a young man. I am approaching 60. I have been in treatment for many years. There have been relapses and time spent in hospitals. There have been good times. Before I received good treated, I left a trail of emotional, professional, and relational disaster behind me. It broke apart the lives of others as much as it did my own.

I did not know what to expect from this movie. It is a stunningly accurate trip into the mind of a BP sufferer. It shows the disease from the outside, too. It is amazing in its accuracy. The mood swings, the detachment from reality, the failure to learn from past errors are there. Here is a guy who has so messed up he is in the hospital. He is released into the custody of his parents. He improves himself physically yet cannot see what he has done, what he is now, and what the future portends with any sort of reality.

There are other situations in the film which mirror the BP life. There are job losses, broken relationships, unlimited optimism, anger, and a feeling that no one understands you. But he doesn't even understand himself. He thinks he is the only sane person around. He is in complete denial yet goes along with treatment just to get along with others.

The obsession with his estranged wife drives him. Everything he does is to make himself look desirable to her.

Then there is the hair trigger and the propensity toward violence which ultimately put him into the hospital. He has the belief that he sees with much more clarity than anyone else. There is also the hatred of medications and the belief that he doesn't need them.

Yet, there is hope. There is no miraculous cure. There is a negotiated peace between his illness and the way he must be to survive in the world.

The only thing I felt was missing was the crushing depression. But I understand that. Depression makes for lousy movies. The film is strictly about a manic life that wants to be better but cannot accept that he is badly off dead center normal.

If you are bi-polar and under control, see this film! If you live with or deal with a BP, see this movie. If you are untreated, you won't get it because BP clouds the mind.

My new wife and I went to see it. Up front I told her that I had this mental illness. She still married me. She is a health care worker with an understanding of illness and of treatment. After the film she asked me what I thought.

I told her that I was a bit frightened to tell her that the portrayal is spot on and that I had seen all of it before.

But like all bipolar sufferers, I wanted her to know that "I was never that bad." The truth is, I was....but we BP people don't handle reality all that well.

Incredible, incredible, incredible!

Author: brighteyes53085 from United States
9 October 2012

I saw this at the Hamptons International Film Festival as the Spotlight film and it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. It is so relatable, even if you don't suffer from the same afflictions as the main characters, and its implications are so far-reaching that everyone, I believe, can learn a little something from Pat and Tiffany. The story sends such wonderful messages about finding the "silver lining" and is uplifting, even in the seemingly most dire circumstances. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper are phenomenal, and I found myself really attached to their characters. This is a must see for everyone! And I will be seeing it again when it hits theaters in November.

So very much more than meets the eye

Author: Nuss from New York
18 November 2012

At first glance, you would think this movie would be just another generic Katherine Heiglesque rom-com that dominates the box office and empties your soul. But classifying it as such is like saying Jaws was a nice little fishing movie. It's so very much more and what makes it all the more wonderful is that it comes as such a pleasant surprise.

I mean, seriously, who would have thought that Bradley Cooper could convey such angst and heartache? Or that De Niro still had a great performance in him after a decade of caricaturing his old self? And Jennifer Lawrence - just wow. There's so much more to say but best to just let you experience it for yourself.

Watch - this movie's rep will build through terrific word-of-mouth and it'll end up as a modern day classic. This is why you go see movies in the first place.

Excelsior Strategy

Author: David Ferguson (fergusontx@gmail.com) from Dallas, Texas
24 November 2012

Greetings again from the darkness. The film is exactly what you would expect from a screwball romantic comedy steeped in drama based on bipolar disorder, depression, OCD, Philadelphia Eagles fanatics, a ballroom dancing contest, adultery, Hemingway, and a lead character who jogs while wearing a trash bag. Maybe not exactly what you would expect, but more likely much more.

If you were told instead that the story is based on two damaged souls who help heal each other through dancing, you would have every reason to skip this one. However, as written and directed by David O Russell (The Fighter) and based on Matthew Quick's novel, this story is a frenetic, emotional roller coaster ride that provides a glimmer of hope for the two damaged lead characters, while reminding that each of us may be a bit off-center in some way. Now add in the best young actress working today (Jennifer Lawrence just turned 22), a rare performance from Robert DeNiro where he seems fully engaged, a pulling back the curtain on Bradley Cooper as much more than a pretty face, and one of the best and most precise soundtracks in recent history ... now you have one of the best films of the year.

What you notice very early on is that what could be considered a trite story line, is instead pounding you with sharp, witty dialogue that pulls no punches in directness. The many aspects of family and emotional support are given time thanks to Pat (Bradley Cooper) being released after 8 months in a mental institution. He was sent there when he snapped after finding his wife in a compromising position with another man. Perfectly understandable if you ask me, but clearly he is the explosive one despite his claims to the contrary. An uncomfortable dinner party introduces him to Tiffany (Ms. Lawrence) whose husband has recently died and her coping skills have been shared with most of those in her workplace. This odd couple spark immediately and the wild ride begins.

Pat's wife Nikki (Brea Bee) has issued a restraining order and Pat's strategy to win her back involves a positive attitude and maintaining control of his emotions. His supporters include his mother (Jacki Weaver, who was so great in Animal Kingdom), his OCD father (DeNiro) who so wants to re-connect with his son, his friend (John Ortiz) whose own marriage (to icy Julia Stiles) is a messy mess, his buddy from the asylum (a funny and not over the top Chris Tucker), and of course, Tiffany. The only real problem is that each of these supporters are teetering in their own way just like Pat.

The brilliance of this movie is the balance struck between the near violent emotional outbursts and the sharp, exacting words spouted by each of the characters. Director Russell once again shows his flair for working class northeasterners. He understands these tough as nails people who wear their emotions on their sleeves. These people are as likely to punch you as hug you ... and both are acts of love.

The soundtrack deserves special mention. It is very unique and varied, with each song serving an exact purpose. Especially keen are Stevie Wonder's "My Cherie Amour", Led Zeppelin's "What is and What Should Be", and "The Girl from the North Country" a Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash duet. When the music strikes a harmony with the scene, the movie is all the stronger. Rarely do we get the perfect storm of script, direction, acting, music and relevance.

I have NO Idea why this movie is getting such hype....

Author: pjamok-692-397387 from United States
18 January 2013

So, the acting in this film is excellent and that's why the one star. Other than that, this is a hot mess of a movie in terms of any sense of reality, common sense, and human behavior.

It makes is appear that bipolar is pretty much curable if a person meets the right hot girl and takes meds for a short time. And don't worry if the other crazy guy from the mental institution comes to visit as he's not really all that crazy, and the audience never figures out why he's there or what happens to him in the end.

Apparently anyone can enter a professional dance competition, regardless of ability or training, and book making is a viable job option for the unemployed. When a person gets out of the institution, he or she is apparently assigned their own personal police officer who just happens to show up day or night, kind of like a personal on-call bodyguard. Oh, and having a cra-cra dad who obviously passed his mental issues on to his son but isn't called on it at all is just part of the insanity that makes up this ridiculous movie. But, hey, if a person dances long enough their mental issues go away and all is well.

I'll be shaking my head for a long time as I cannot believe how this movie is getting the press and reviews I've seen. Excellent actors in a beyond stupid screenplay. Complete waste of time and money.

Most Enjoyable Film of 2012 So Far

Author: meggz3
23 October 2012

I don't even know where to begin when it comes to this film. First of all, I think it's about time I profess my love for David O'Russell because he keeps making movies that I simply can't get enough of. If there's one thing I've learned this year when it comes to movies, it's find a director you love and follow him or her blindly. There's styles you'll love, and styles you'll hate, find the ones you click with and never let go.

Silver Linings Playbook has generated a lot of hype since its worldwide premiere at TIFF, and frankly, as far as I'm concerned, it deserves all the praise its received. It is by far the best film I saw at the festival, and is easily one of the most memorable films of 2012. Based on the novel by Matthew Quick, Silver Linings follows the life of Pat (Bradley Cooper) as he moves back into his parents' house after spending months in a mental institution because of a violent outburst that occurred after he found his wife with another man. The movie follows Pat as he attempts to get back his life back, but he meets a new challenge as Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence, who is completely girl crush worthy) finds his way into his life.

I honestly can't remember the last time I enjoyed a movie more from beginning to end. O'Russell brilliantly tells a heartwarming, yet complicated and hilarious tale, that leaves you on the edge of the seat. The cast is wonderful, and all deserving of nominations in the 2012 award season. If people didn't know of Jennifer Lawrence before, they will now. She's quirky, complicated, hilarious, and you really just can't get enough of her. DeNiro also delivers a strong performance as Cooper's Philadelphia Eagle's loving, somewhat OCD father.

If there is one movie worth seeing this year, it's Silver Linings Playbook. The story may follow a family in a very serious situation, but we can all identity with the truth and emotions that comes with struggling through times. It's a story that's easy to connect with, and it's a film that will make you smile from beginning to end. Catch this movie when it comes out in November, and I promise you, you won't regret it.

For more Reviews Check out.

Silver Linings Playbook is a refreshing addition to the rom com genre

Author: Josh Cummings from United States
1 November 2012

While most romantic comedies usually contain bad acting, sappiness, and a large amount of predictable moments; Silver Linings Playbook is the exact opposite. There may be a little amount sappiness in this movie but there is bound to be some in any romantic situations. In reality though, all of the sap in Silver Linings Playbook can be overlooked due to the fact that the film is completely original, extremely funny, and contains outstanding acting from the two lead roles.

Written and directed by David O. Russell (The Fighter), Silver Linings Playbook is about a man, played by Bradley Cooper (Limitless, The Hangover), who was just released from an eight month stint in a psychiatric hospital. He wants to get his life back on track but is being held back by his parents and his unstable condition. After a little while, he strikes up an interesting friendship with a female played by Jennifer Lawrence (Winter's Bone, The Hunger Games). Both of these characters are going through somewhat of the same type of problems which makes their friendship even more quirky and thought-provoking.

Because a large amount of romantic comedies are stale and overdone, Silver Linings Playbook is a breath of fresh air. Usually movies in this genre follow a very particular road map that entails: man is at rock bottom but then finds the perfect girl. After a while, man loses girl and must win girl back in a very cliché and unrealistic fashion. What's original about Silver Linings Playbook is that it doesn't follow that mediocre story line in the slightest making it unpredictable but at the same time, more relateable. Chris Tucker is in this movie and even he isn't predictable. Chris Tucker, the loud-mouthed actor who hasn't been in a film without the words 'Rush Hour' in the title for almost 15 years, was surprisingly mellow. Even though he was mellow, he was still very comedic and played a great role in the film.

The most surprising aspect of Silver Linings Playbook, however, was the performance of Bradley Cooper. Even though this is a comedy, Cooper plays what is maybe one of the most serious roles he's ever performed. After audience members witness his work in this film, there shouldn't be any more doubt if the man can act or not. Silver Linings Playbook is without a doubt Cooper's best work thus far in his career. Jennifer Lawrence has a performance of equal caliber but that is expected from the young Academy Award nominated actress. What was surprising about Lawrence's role in the movie, was how adult it was. Fans of Lawrence's work may have been worried that she would be stuck in teenage roles after playing the character Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games, but she should silence those doubts after this film with a very adult, yet professional, performance.

Silver Linings Playbook is full of creativity and minimal on romance clichés. It is hands down one of the best romantic comedies to be made within the last couple of years. This film contains many laugh out loud moments and a number of scenes that will warm your heart to the point where you can't help but leave the theater smiling. Silver Linings Playbook is the perfect date movie that both men and women can easily enjoy. A-

One boring un-surprising movie

Author: devin-cook
1 January 2013

Wow, talk about a movie written to a well-worn Hollywood recipe.

There are 0 surprises is this movie. As soon as the two main characters meet at the dinner party the rest of the movie flows like a ad-lib.

Wow, she wrote the letter? What a surprise. Yawn.

Wow, they scored exactly what was needed to win the bet? Yawn.

Wow, he decides on the new girl instead of his old wife? Amazing, never saw that twist coming.....

And I thought M. Night Shyamalan had gotten bad at twists. Even my wife, who is a sucker for she flick comedies thought it was wayyyyy to predictable.

Putrid adolescent garbage

Author: pwiener-592-552778 from ANN ARBOR, Michigan
26 January 2013

One star because zero stars isn't an option, nor is a black hole icon. I should know better than to dis this film, as most films I hate only draw comments from idiots. But for the sheer pleasure of it, I'll say this: I hated the writing, the acting (especially deNiro, who has been doing this same role for at least ten years and has apparently abandoned the use of his talent, and his wife-character), the characters themselves, the directing, the cinematography, the casting, the scenic design and the overall conception - where a "silver lining" is imposed on the story rather than grows out of it. I didn't find a single scene emotionally believable, felt the script demeaned mental illness, thought the film pandered to blacks, sports, dancing-with-the-stars fans, Philly itself, endorsed gambling, rewarded incredible stupidity and risk-taking (deNiro's character is willing to throw away his entire family's future based on nothing other than an idiotic hunch by a sexpot) while the film pretends to endorse other "moral" life choices, thought the entire film depended on "cute" writing and cliché (where plot is a substitute for canned laughter), and that it was predictable after the first ten minutes. By the way, the audience I was with, maybe 50 people, didn't laugh that much. What's not to hate? Over many years I've learned that many people often think something is funny if someone else tells them it's supposed to be. I'm not one. Now go ahead and trash me if you like. But if I can keep one person from seeing it I'll have done my duty. And if one other IMDb reader has the guts to agree with me: brother, (or sister) - welcome to the real world!

Maybe I am missing something?

Author: ThanksForMutton from United States
10 December 2012

I really wanted to LOVE this movie, as I rarely get out to watch movies so I am very selective about the ones I will go watch. I love both Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence and the reviews have been so overwhelmingly positive I was sure I couldn't lose!

To me, this film is a typical clichéd rom com with some mental illness and character twists thrown in. Boy meets girl, boy and girl pretend to just be friends for a while, boy and girl get thrown into a situation where they have intense prolonged contact, boy and girl fall in love and end up together. YAWN. THIS is what is getting so much hype?

I found Bradley Cooper to be magnetic and intense. Great work. I have enjoyed him since his small role in Wedding Crashers and thought he was just superb in Limitless. He is the best part of this movie. The guy is super talented!

I really was not that impressed with the other performances despite the fact I thought I should be. To be fair, no one stunk it up or ruined the movie. But I thought anyone could have played the other roles. I like Jennifer Lawrence but I didn't think she was that great in this. I thought the parents were played well but again, I didn't think De Niro was that special in this.

I'm not really sure I'd recommend this. I'd probably either wait for DVD or even cable. It's OK.

Page 1 of 66:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]