IMDb > The Haunting of Molly Hartley (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Haunting of Molly Hartley
Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Just go read a book or plant a tree. Anything but this.

Author: stoneydoc from United States
31 October 2008

I actually registered on this site to post this comment. I feel it is my duty to save you precious moments of life that are better spent elsewhere.

This film used the normal scare tactics, i.e. suspenseful building music, quick appearance on camera of people or things, reflections in mirrors, etc., but nothing new or original. The little whispers in the background try to make you nervous, but it leads to a dead end.

Speaking of endings, just when you think the movie has built to where it will explain exactly what is going on, it ends. One minute it seems all hell is about to break loose, and then there is a very weak resolution and the movie is over. The best way to describe it is to take a movie that is 2 hours long, and cut out the last half hour except for the final few minutes. I actually had to go home and verify that the theater didn't skip a reel or two. Unfortunately for us, they didn't.

Words can not express how terribly this movie ends. I am amazed that this ever made it into a theater. Don't waste your time and money on the theater, or even a rental. Hell, don't even waste your time watching it for free on TV. I've had bowel movements much more interesting and fulfilling than this movie. Maybe the director had a vision in his head, I just wish he would have let everyone else in on it.

Let's put it this way...

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
12 November 2008

After this painful movie, I drank, I did illegal substances, I even beat myself with a shovel, and still I was in pain from watching this horrible movie! The Haunting of Molly Hartley or as I'm going to call it from this point on "pretty white kids with satanic problems", where do I eve begin on how awful this film was? OK, let's start with the actors, horrible horrible actors that only got their roles because they were just too beautiful to pass up on. The editing/scare tactics: let's make loud noise constantly, that'll make the audience jump. The script: let's make up a non-sense story about a teenage girl who has powers from Satan and we'll put her in high school with other pretty people and while she has to go through the hardships of being a teenager. Even though the story in no way makes sense, we have a Zac Efron look a like, so we're going to get a huge female teen audience and they'll love this film. Oh, boy, I'm rambling, OK, let's just say this, if you were, you'd see all the bruises on my head from banging it on the wall after watching this movie that I'll never know how it got green lighted.

Molly Hartley is the new girl at school who is very subtle about her strange side, she has headaches that lead to disillusions about her mother who tried to kill her a few years ago, she automatically stays away from people and is getting hit on by the most pretty rich boy in the whole school, but she is absolutely refusing to do anything until her father takes her to the hospital and they find a brain tumor, so it seems like everything will be all good after they remove it, but things are obviously not getting better when her mother escapes the insane asylum to kill Molly before she hits her 18th birthday to gain full powers of the devil... yeah, wow.

Oh, boy, I wish there was a rating lower than 1, because honestly this film is one of the worst I've ever seen in my life. It's just so odd to me that there are some films that people absolutely refuse to give a fair chance, yet this movie that has no right to be called a horror movie has a 3.4 rating? Come on, this belongs in the bottom 100 here on IMDb, I'm going to be a good citizen, please, stay away from this movie, save yourself the pain I had to endure. I had to take my cousin to see this, now I feel that I can never let her pick a film again, because for my health's sake, I just can never see a movie like this again, I'll go insane. Just trust me, this is a very very bad film, film? Why did I say that? This is trash, just trust me, the only thing horrific about this is that I wasted 90 minutes of my life that I will never get back... I could have watched paint dry, that has more meaning than this stupid movie ever will.

Very Boring

Author: axd92 from United States
2 November 2008

I went into the theater not knowing anything about this movie; I hadn't seen any previews on TV, no reviews on the Internet, nothing. A good buddy of mine wanted to go see it, so I thought "What the heck, it's Friday night and I don't have anything better to do", so we went. Boy, did I learn my lesson.

I can't believe I actually paid to see this movie. Do yourself a favor and just wait until this comes out on DVD. Actually, don't do that; this movie isn't even worth renting. This is one of the most boring and non-entertaining movies I have ever seen. Although this movie is labeled as "suspense" or "thriller", there is nothing even remotely suspenseful or scary about it. It uses all the scare tactics you're familiar with, and thus are not affected by anymore. For example, the bathroom mirror trick. Come on, how old is that trick?

As for the acting, I would say it is mediocre at best; no great performances from anybody that will save this movie. There were a couple of scenes in which I thought Haley Bennett (Molly Hartley) was going to be able to turn the movie around, but ultimately ending up crushing my hopes.

If you want to spare yourself two boring hours, don't go see this movie; it's just not worth the money. Also, remember to do your research. And don't trust your friends. (Just kidding)

A failure of a movie... a failure of humanity in general.

Author: karel747 from United States
14 November 2008

Horrendous. I've never written a review for a movie, good or bad, nor have I even been inspired to; but this absolute garbage of a movie made me furious enough to want to express what I feel: The failure of this movie can not be overstated.

If you want to know what watching this movie is like, combine the following: *A "noisy shocker" at least once every ten minutes (I wish that were an exaggeration). You all know the noisy shocker; like when a loud barking dog or a group of birds suddenly bursts into the otherwise quiet and peaceful scene in order to make you jump. Overuse of this dynamic is a sure tell of an uninspired and boring thriller/horror movie, and this movie totally engulfs the entire cake of it.

*A disgustingly sappy high school teen atmosphere. Complete with the sassy and rebellious cool girl, handsome and charismatic romantic interest, jealous girlfriend, and all the drama you might find in any teen show on TV. Rich cute white teens all around, for your viewing pleasure.

*About 20 minutes of plot. The rest of the movie deals with the stereotypical problems of the modern rich white high school teen. The first and last 10 minutes are where the plot takes place - the entire middle of this movie goes absolutely nowhere.

*A lazy and transparent religious undertone. We get it. Just accept Jesus as your lord and savior, or else. Everyone else will let you down.

*A twist so mind-numbingly ridiculous, nonsensical and frustrating, that it will leave you with a truck-full of questions (not good philosophical questions, but bad "WTF?" questions), as well as make you wish bad things happened to everyone involved in writing/directing/producing this movie, because they got paid to deliver this abomination of a movie.

All that said, if I had to dig for a good quality in this movie, I would say it is the acting. And that's the only praise I can think of really. All 3 stars I gave this movie are for the decent acting in the face of sheer stupidity.

So in conclusion, avoid this movie, unless dull, boring, lazy and banal high-school-teen based thrillers/horrors with a religious undertone and shockingly idiotic twist happen to be your favorite.

Worth a comment

Author: prestwich65 from Canada
12 January 2009

Pure garbage. I think that says it all, but I have to write 10 lines so here we go. Acting is terrible , story is terrible and I'm mad at myself for wasting my time watching it. I like watching horror movies and I even love a good cheesy one once in a while. This was just like a TV movie with zero scares. It is basically an episode of gossip girl and beverly hills 90210 combined with a few predictable and laughable murders. I gave it a one star ( its not even worthy of that)thats my lowest rating in the last few years and this is the first time I have ever commented. I could'nt in all good conscience let another person watch this without giving them fair warning.

Lame...at least everyone in the movie is good looking

Author: The_Amazing_Spy_Rises from United States
3 November 2008

Well, I didn't really want to see this movie at all. I work at a theater, and I was forced to watch this with my boss so I could talk with her about the promotion I've wanted for a very long time. By the time the credits rolled, "Molly Hartley" had injected me with insane predictability, zero plot, and good looking people to the point where I almost didn't want said promotion anymore.

Like I've already mentioned twice, the film's best and only strong point is the amount of good looking people in the movie. Even the geeky character is good looking. Haley Bennett manages to carry the movie in decent fashion, avoiding becoming laughable as most PG-13 horror movie heroines do *glares at Camilla Belle*. Chace Crawford was a presence I could have done without, while Shannon Woodward was the best performer (and had the best character) in the movie as Leah.

I will give this movie a bit of credit for not being formulaic for about 75% of the movie...while it avoids typical clichés most of the time, it arrives at a conclusion so obvious, stupid, rushed, and unfinished that you can't help but wonder who allowed this movie to be made. It doesn't go for cheap jump scares, which I appreciated, and is more of a satanic thriller than a straight up horror movie. Of course, it's my feeling that PG-13 horror movies not named "The Ring" are just as bad as the Disaster/Date/Superhero Movie franchise, but Molly Hartley manages to barely avoid being as disastrous as Prom Night or When A Stranger Calls. Don't take that as a compliment. It's very easy to beat those movies.

My biggest complaint would be the fact that the movie basically has no plot. We just follow Molly Hartley around aimlessly as the evidence of her being the hottest devil child ever builds up, and then "BAM", an epic fail of an ending comes, scroll goes the credits, and SMACK goes the sound of heads hitting desks. Whoever greenlit this movie is on crack, and I'm not joking.

Please don't waste your time.

Waste of Time

Author: E from United States
1 November 2008

I never post preferring only to read and see what other people say, but I felt I had to for this movie.

It is an utter waste of time and money. I spent the whole time in the theater going what? The story line is chunky. There is no character development. The ending leaves you going huh? It really makes no sense.

The film seems to almost move to fast and doesn't really explain everything as it moves on. The film would pick up a story line and drop just a quickly as they picked it up. I very seldom walk out of a theater and feel I got ripped off but I must say I wanted my money back. I was sorely disappointed and had more questions than answers.

Save your time and your money and just stay home. If your looking for a scare rent something else. This movie would be a total waste of your time.

rosemary's baby revisited

Author: overniteredhead from United States
2 November 2008

Well I typically don't read the comment before mine but I decided to take a little peak just to see if I was the only one that thought this movie was a waste of time. There is nothing extraordinary about this flick in fact its your typical fright fest though without the scares. Feel free to get up for a snack break or visit the bathroom at any time because you wont miss anything upon your return.

Its a film about your average teenager who is running from a secret past. Her father forces her to attend a new school in a new city even though the secrets from her past continue to haunt both her and her father. and well thats about it. With a very unoriginal plot I struggled to honor this movie with a three.

A Poor Attempt At Horror

Author: SquidlyShammers from Canada
1 November 2008

I feel it would be best to critique this film by providing a scenario for you: Girl Turns Around, the Music Screeches, Girl Screams, Girl then realizes that she was screaming at something completely safe (ie. A flock of birds).

THAT is The Haunting of Molly Hartley. An hour and a half of that, wrapped quickly in a story that seems to have completely forgot that plot holes are a BAD THING (Writers in a boardroom brainstorming: "No don't feel the need to explain the Satanic cult or how an entire school worships it, or even what the antagonist is, they'll just figure that out for themselves.")

My problem is that by the end of the film, I began to feel like Molly - Screaming at something that just wasn't scary.

A Predictable Collection of Clichés

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
7 February 2010

The bright atheist teenager Molly Hartley (Haley Bennett) moves from Boston to the Huntington Prep to start a new life with her father Robert Hartley (Jake Weber). Her mother Jane (Marin Hinkle) stabbed her on the chest trying to kill her and now she is confined in the Clayton Mental Institution, and Molly wants to forget her past. In her new school, Molly befriends the outcast religious girl Alexis White (Shanna Collins) but sooner the popular Joseph Young (Chace Crawford) flirts with her and she despises Alexis. On the eve of her eighteenth birthday, Molly's mother escapes from the asylum and explains to her that she died in the delivery. However, a woman promised to revive her but her soul would belong to the devil that would collect on her eighteenth birthday. Molly runs to the Christian Community Center seeking salvation, but would it be possible?

"The Haunting of Molly Hartley" is a predictable collection of clichés, with a plot that it is possible to anticipate what will happen on the next scene. The story uses the idea of the masterpiece "Rosemary's Baby" in a different approach; freely insults the Christian followers with a weird character; and has a terrible conclusion where evil wins without any explanation since the lead character decides to stab herself to save her soul and spare her father. Anyway this movie is not as bad as indicated in many IMDb reviews. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "Jovens Malditos" ("Damned Youngsters")

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]