IMDb > "Jonas" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Jonas"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Jonas" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Cute but nothing Earth shattering

Author: caitybates from United States
13 May 2009

Okay, so this show isn't at all what I had expected. The format is much, much too similar to Hannah Montana. I was really disappointed that it wasn't given another angle other than a famous band trying to live as normal kids. That scenario is now a wee bit tired.

That being said, while you can't call them good actors by any stretch of the imagination, they are really, really endearing. Some jokes really made me laugh out loud and I think they all have great chemistry with one another, it's really super fun to see them just be brothers! The show definitely works best when it focuses on the relationship between the three brothers, whereas the episodes that explore love interests can get a little boring. The placement of the music in the show is hit or miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's hilarious and sometimes I wished I could have fast- forwarded through it.

The show didn't meet my expectations, but I find it cute nevertheless.

It's not that bad...

Author: danielle russo from United States
20 May 2009

what were you expecting? the jonas brothers are not actors they have said it like 1000 times. the plot is not great but is not the worst thing ever either. the show has its funny moments and it's very kid friendly (ages 6 -12 ) for a Disney channel TV show is not that bad .. its not like it will air on fox,abc and those channels where the adult TV shows air ;) just give them a break and if you don't like it don't watch it like with any other TV show. besides it will probably be only 1 season, because that's what the contract said ;). I personally thought it was OK (and I'm 18) it just really depends on what you like :) I like those kinds of TV shows because they remind me of when I was younger and I didn't have to worry about anything but having fun.

Great fun!

Author: Alyx Sandborg from Sweden, United States
12 June 2009

Yes, I'm an adult. Yes, my kids are mostly grown and certainly out of the age range of the usual Disney TV fan. But I am old enough to remember the happy randomness of Beatles movies and The Monkees on Saturday morning television -- and that's what "Jonas" brings to mind.

I love the innocence and silliness of this show. IMO, the brothers have an easy rapport on camera and great comedic timing. And I have to say that Nick should pursue a career in acting in the future if he doesn't want to be in the music business. He's got real leading man potential.

Do you remember when you were a kid and you just felt like laughing about nothing and didn't care what grownups (or anyone else) thought? When you could look at your brother or BFF and whisper something like "shoehorn" and dissolve into laughter? Please view this program with that mood in mind. Sit back, smile and don't take life so seriously.

Hey, Hey We're The Jonas Brothers

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
3 May 2009

The much ballyhooed Jonas show starring the Jonas Brothers finally made its debut on the Disney Channel last night. One hopes that when the brothers have had their run as teen idols they'll have invested their money wisely because it will take some considerable doing for them to have careers as musicians and/or actors when the vogue for them has passed.

As kids they're cute, pleasant and easy to take even for people over the age of 15. Their music isn't too bad either. What the Disney Studio did was reach back into rock and roll history and modeled this show on that first show about a rock band, The Monkees. The Jonas Brothers even have a fourth brother, little Frankie who can make it a quartet to have adventures just like the Monkees.

Don't look for much plot, the show is just another venue for their music which is in fact their bread and butter. Every show will have some kind of story to play between music videos. It worked fine for the Monkees, it should work for Joe, Kevin, Nick, and sometimes Frankie Jonas.

Is this a joke? Seriously?

Author: emily-faubert from Canada
12 July 2009

Okay, the Jonas brothers are cute, talented, moderately funny, but they need to get more imaginative writers for their TV show. The first two episodes I saw (Where they ruined the family videos and re-taped them, and when they all liked the same girl) consisted of the same plot I had seen on a billion other TV shows. It was actually painful to watch. After half the show, I only kept watching in hopes that the plot would get better, and it didn't. I started to question why this was called a comedy show, because the only people with funny lines were Frankie Jonas and Macy, who only have short lines then are gone!

There was not a whole lot of exceptional acting, which can be expected from a comedy aimed toward teens (being one myself, it is kind of insulting to my intelligence, but I digress) and the show is only really centered around the Jonas brothers. But I thought Nicole Gale Anderson did a great job as Macy, being really cute, funny and obsessive all at once! I hope they expand her character a little more, and stop her from feeding off the one gag of her almost hitting people with sports equipment.

Now, any die-hard fans of the Jonas brothers, buy their CD, go to their concerts, secretly drool over poster of them, whatever, BUT DON'T WATCH THIS SHOW! It will taint your love for them!

The Jonas brothers get their own TV show on Disney. SURPRISE SURPRISE

Author: chelseaxsmile777 from United States
19 July 2009

Now honestly I've watched this show with my little sister because like most girls from the ages of 9-15 she's a huge Jonas brother fan. Now unlike the previous comment, that person has the stupidest idea of what is good on TV. Jonas isn't the best show on Disney channel, there's no avoiding it. It's more of Disney keeping trying to cash in on what's popular. Hannah Montana is a very lousy singer and an even worse actress. It's funny how her co-starts Mitchell Musso and emily osement sing better and act better then her. The Joans brothers are decent singers and especially for the pop rock genre there's no denying it. Their acting isn't TERRIBLE but it's not worth a gold star. Kevin's acting is funny because he's aware of how terrible he is but just rolls with it. Nick always has that same look on his face like he's in pain to be on camera. But you think he'd be use to it being a major music star for the past 4 years. All in all, you might not enjoy it the way you'd enjoy other shows such as phineas and pherb. But it's Disney channel, you really can't expect anything more then unpromising shows. Jonas isn't the worst, but it's certainly far from the best.

it'll grow in time hopefully

Author: azn_vision from Australia
28 July 2009

I'm sure the Jonas Brothers aren't the best actors in the world, but if you're gonna try something new, you have to start somewhere; so I guess this is where they're building up. No, it's not the best series, no it's not very original but I'm still enjoying the cheesy comedy that they put into it. And hopefully in time, they'll become better actors just like what Miley Cyrus did with Hannah Montana. It's one of their first acting jobs so I didn't really expect to much out of them but Disney really, really might wanna consider more original scripts and outlines or at least give Jonas a twist to it because right now it's just a little too plain for a lot of people.

It's a funny show to watch with my kids!

Author: jnjmitch from St Louis, MO
30 July 2009

I agree with several previous reviewers that the format of the show is similar to that of a Monkees series and/or Beatles movie in that there really doesn't have to be much of a plot. I don't feel it's true there is NO plot, the plot is just VERY weak and simple. I mean why is Kevin, a 21 year old, going to the same high school as Nick and Joe for heaven's sake? However, I personally enjoy the fact that they play ORIGINAL music and you can look forward to a new song every episode or so (unlike Mylie Cyrus where you're lucky to hear a fragment of one old song every now and then). Basically, as far as I'm concerned, the best part of the show is that you get to see the Jonas brothers UP CLOSE: talking, singing, being silly, being insecure, and often they share interesting tid bits about their real lives (ie: family videos, visit with Queen). So if you have to watch TV with your kids, I am glad that iCarly, Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place and Jonas are different formats so it is not so redundant.

No plot?

Author: clueless_kitty435 from United States
7 June 2009

It's obvious that Disney didn't put that much effort into the plot with this show, unlike other ones. The storyline is pretty much the fact that they're famous and they go to school, which I think anyone could really come up with. It seems Disney thought this show would be successful anyway just because the Jonas Brothers are in it, which is true; if this was a new show without a celebrity to promote it, I really don't think it would be successful. At all.

On the upside, it really does have its moments. I have laughed out loud at some jokes. I personally think Joe and Kevin are pretty good actors. I'm not sure about Nick...maybe that's just his character. But it just seems as if the comedy comes to Joe & Kevin naturally.

I think they did this for fun, and didn't expect it to go far. Which is fair enough. It's a decent show, but it's not a favorite. 5/10, probably.

Why I liked this show

Author: jwhale9382 from Maryland
1 June 2011

When I first heard that there was going to be a TV show starring the Jonas Brothers, I had to roll my eyes. Yeah, it's just another attempt for the JoBros' to milk their fame for all it was worth. But when I finally saw the show, I found it to be surprisingly entertaining.

Now, I'm not a teenage girl, so you can be sure I didn't watch the show to see the Jonas Brothers. Although, Chelsea Kane and Nicole Anderson were kinda cute. But no, the real reason I loved this show was the humor. It's a rare kind of humor we don't see much of anymore. It's a kind of humor based on antics as opposed to witty dialog. It was almost a throwback to the kind of antics we saw on Saved By the Bell. The show also didn't have a laugh track, so we didn't have to be told when to laugh.

The characters were great as well. The boys almost remind me of Alvin and the Chipmunks; Kevin, the lovable dumb one (Theodore), Nick, the smart one (Simon), and Joe, the egotistic one (Alvin). My favorite character had to be Macy, Jonas' "#1 Superfan." She's so sweet and lovable, and she so funny to watch.

Having said all that, I thought Season 1 was better than Season 2. Season 2 had less focus on humor and was trying more to be a teen drama. And there, I think it lost a lot of its appeal. But it was still a good show.

The show has been canceled, unfortunately, but if you can find it on DVD, I say check it out. I would mostly recommend it for teens and fans of the Jonas Brothers, but if you like comedies, this one doesn't disappoint.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]