IMDb > Eyeborgs (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Eyeborgs

Eyeborgs More at IMDbPro »

Low-budget execution of a good concept

Author: equazcion (equazcion@gmail.com) from NYC
9 July 2010

With a name like "Eyeborgs", you know it has to either be really bad or really funny. And this movie isn't funny.

There are some redeeming qualities here though. You'll see in the end that it's a pretty original idea; it just suffers from mediocre execution, likely due to its low budget, which is a real shame. With a larger budget it could've been something of a ground-breaker.

As much as the title might otherwise imply, this is by all indications meant to be a serious, dramatic sci-fi thriller. Far from polished, the script was only "eh", and the fight choreography was worse, especially when the robots and humans fought hand-to-hand. The placement of CGI within real-world shots was generally not too believable, but that's somewhat understandable considering the budget. The 3D modeling and animation themselves, though, were probably the film's strongest elements. The little camera robots are cute, like tiny robotic gremlins going around killing people, with distinct and consistent personalities.

Unfortunately, the first hour or so of this isn't that absorbing. The concept itself is good though, and you won't fully appreciate it unless you sit through the entire movie to find out the real deal. The last 20 minutes are when things pick up and I actually felt absorbed by the movie, and I dare say, it may actually end up leaving you with something to think about.

Eyeborgs is a Sci-Fi flick that seems part Robocop part Predator. It is low-budgeted but pretty good for an Independent flick and worth at least a rental.

Author: Joecool1-1 from United States
29 June 2010

Eyeborgs on Blu-ray looks very good for an Independent low-budgeted film. Not surprisingly the Director was a former DP (Director Of Photography) and the visual effects won two awards. The story parallels the real-world anxiety during the Bush Administration with it's futuristic tale. The acting is a little shaky but most of it is the supporting cast with the exception of Supporting Actor extrordinaire Danny Trejo. The Eyeborgs themselves remind me a lot of the Ed-209's in Robocop (they even sound like them) at least the miniature ones do. The bigger Eyeborgs are another robot/creature entirely. The story rings true in lots of ways about losing privacy due to technology and too much power corrupts. You can read my full review here - http://www.movie-vault.com/reviews/eyeborgs-bluray/

Better than I thought

Author: moorek from Canada
7 November 2010

When I saw this I thought it was going to be a cheesy, low budget, poor acting movie. After all it had Adrian Paul in it so what else could it be. Well it is what I thought. BUT somewhere along the line it developed some interesting subplots and some greater social conscience. The movie wasn't able to maximize its potential but it still makes you think. So let's break movie down: ACTING. It's what you expect. Little or unknown actors with limited ability. But the acting is no worse than 90% of what we see on television.

CONTINUITY. The movie flows OK but there's so many unexplained bits and pieces that should have been linked or explained. The singer from the band and the girlfriend are killed in the car making the President's uncle the new lead singer. No connection to the movie's plot. Why sneak explosives into the building when you've already loaded tanks of explosive material in the basement with timers on them. Why have a running gun fight when the purpose is to explode the building? Just do it. How did the plot with guitar man mesh with the explosives in the basement? It's like two plots to kill the President. And why would the guitar man want to kill the President as the Vice-President would take over and it's clear the latter is more the hawk of the two? Plot line. The plot line is confusing at times. We never figure out who is controlling the eyeborgs (likely the VP) or if they are acting independently (AI). Sometimes it seems like it has to be the latter but the basic plot line only seems to benefit the VP.

GRAPHICS. Overall not too bad. The eyeborgs were fairly well done. The larger units looked a little too computer generated at times but other units, such as the soldier units, looked good.

So why give it a 6 instead of a 2 or 3? I found the movie unsettling as it is just a slightly more extreme example of what exists today. Our survelliance cameras might not be linked but they are everywhere. I read somewhere that in large cities, if you are walking on a city street, that you will likely be captured on tape by at least 14 cameras on average. Even if that stat is wrong and it's only 2-3, that's still a lot of times to have someone record you. In the movie people could never get away from the cameras. Even low end criminals selling guns, dope or plotting to kill the President couldn't keep them out of their houses.

Also found it unsettling how they relied on robots for all evidence such as film footage, blood samples and other crime scene investigations. Sort of a Magnus Robot Fighter environment. No one thinks for themselves.

Finally it has the feeling and the closing that would work well as a pilot for a TV show.

It's worth a rental or purchase in the low cost movie bin.

Think Robocop Meets Enemy of the State Meets the Forbin Project

Author: MyAvatar from United States
18 April 2011

I am giving this 10 out of 10 because it is a surprisingly good science fiction film that should have a much wider viewing than it is getting. If you know your science fiction you will easily see this film's pedigree. If you don't know your science fiction, you should do everyone a favor and stick to reviewing what you know and enjoy.

In Eyeborgs, we are treated to a near future surveillance and mechanized police state society gone to its logical extreme. It is done in a campy but satisfying way not unlike the Robocop movies. Many other movies have dealt with this subject matter but often they are not nearly this much fun.

If you like science fiction get your Jiffy Pop ready and spin this one up on your little DVD player or patch into your high speed internet and let the electrons and photons begin to stream.

Fun, Smart Sci-Fi Thriller

Author: rgn22 from United States
20 June 2010

I saw Eyeborgs at its premier screening in St. Pete Beach, and it is a fun "killer robot" movie wrapped around a moral/political message. If you want to pay attention, you can catch the allegories to real-life situations equally involving privacy of citizens, and trusting the media and government. However, in essence it is a fun movie about robots being used to take over society. An independent film with a very high production value and excellent special effects. The robots, especially the "Reapers" are extremely well done. Very good performance by Adrian Paul as the Department of Homeland Defense Agent. I definitely recommend this movie for sci-fi fans.

Ignore the negative reviews - this is a good, exciting movie!

Author: rcrudolph from Flanders, New Jersey
12 February 2011

I don't know where the barrage of negative reviews on this site comes from - given the plot of the movie, about out-of-control government surveillance, I'd almost believe they were part of a campaign to deter people from watching it.

The film is suspenseful, thought-provoking and well-acted. No,it isn't a mega-budget blockbuster, but it didn't have to be. The script was tight and literate and the direction and camera work kept me glued to the screen.

And given the premise, it raises a disturbing question of how much of what passes for news in the media is actually real - a photo-shopped picture of a monkey holding a semi-automatic handgun that was used by FOX News to illustrate a discredited story about monkeys being taught to kill U.S. soldiers - immediately comes to mind.

So if you are looking for a fast-moving, well-done and entertaining way of passing some time, don't believe the bad reviews. It may not be an Academy Award contender, but it is WELL WORTH WATCHING!!!

Some real flaws, but still does good job of being creepy.

Author: mfredenburg from United States
8 October 2010

As a Highlander Series fan I watched this film hoping for good things, but was disappointed.

At a high-level the plot and premise have real potential, but this potential is never realized because the actual script and directing are mediocre at best. Further the story flow is disjointed and uneven. Character development is also weak and you really don't get to know the characters or care about them much.

Adrian Paul's performance was competent, but uninspiring, probably due to mediocre dialog. Likewise, the other actors performances are hard to critique because they really did not have much with which to work.

Somehow, in spite of the above, the ever present cameras and Eyeborgs do create a really creepy atmosphere and made me think I do not want anything even close to a society infested with Eyeborgs.

So in spite of its many flaws, good special effects and just enough of everything else still allows Eyeborgs to achieve its objective of making us question an ends justifies the means approach to fighting terrorism.

Stage One of the inevitable robot-human war

Author: peteranderson975 from East Kilbride, Scotland
3 July 2011

In a near-future USA its citizens are under perpetual surveillance from Eyeborgs, mobile robotic cameras, used by the police to stop crime happening and to convict any criminals they see. A big hairy ranting paranoid man is arrested when tries to shoot Jarrett Hewes (Luke Eberl) the nephew of the American President as he is performing with his punk band. Agents from the Department of Homeland Security 'Gunner' Reynolds (Adrian Paul) and his partner Bradley investigate to see if there is any other threat. During the investigation Gunner become suspicious of the Eyeborgs and his suspicions are confirmed by evidence from TV reporter Barbara Hawkins (Megan Blake).

This film covers a lot of old ground but it is a pretty good take on the ideas that make up it main story. While 'The Matrix' and 'The Terminator' had humans at war with the machines this film suggests that their route to dominance and control may be through taking advantage of suspicion and fear to encourage humans to surrender their freedom to the machines.

The design of the robots was okay especially the little two-legged ones that almost look like toys but they turn out to have more in common with a certain silver ball from 'Phantasm'. This is film is worth a watch, not too deep and not too dumb.

Rating 7/10

You're Being Watched

Author: wes-connors from Earth
8 September 2014

In the near future, terrorist attacks on American soil have resulted in the United States taking significant steps to increase homeland security. Mainly, a couple of things have happened. First, all the surveillance cameras you see hanging around - everywhere from banks to the local convenience store - have been connected into one network - the Optical Defense Intelligence Network (ODIN). Second, a mobile robotic system of cameras have been introduced, called "Eyeborgs". Naturally these devices are there to protect our freedom, not take it away. However, it appears something has gone terribly wrong...

In the opening, young purple-haired punk rocker Lucas "Luke" Eberl (as Jarett Hewes) performs with his "Painful Daze" band. There is an attempt to assassinate Mr. Eberl, but he survives when handsome ODIN agent Adrian Paul (as Robert "Gunner" Reynolds) and his Eyeborgs make the scene. Pushy blonde TV reporter Megan Blake (as Barbara Hawkins) smells a story...

Curiously, Eberl is the nephew of the President of the United States. Even more curious, Mr. Paul's subsequent investigation of the killer reveals something disturbing about our protective Eyeborgs. Director Richard Clabaugh and his crew keep the action and intrigue levels high. Visual effects supervisor Christopher Howell Watson and his team received award notices for their animated creatures, which are designed and inserted well. Performances are fine, with Eberl taking the best role to the top. "Eyeborgs" would rank a couple notches higher if not for the shaky cameras. Some of the wobbling looks natural, but there are many times when the camera is shaking uncontrollably. It's not too bad during the erotic car wash, though...

****** Eyeborgs (4/29/09) Richard Clabaugh ~ Adrian Paul, Luke Eberl, Megan Blake, Danny Trejo

Fun fun fun

Author: MuggySphere from Adelaide, Australia
6 December 2013

I enjoyed this... This was fun.

Possible future in which an advanced AI has control of remote cameras that are now mobile and can move and act. And act they do. They chop, slice and dice anyone perceived as a threat.

I enjoyed the ride and plan to get this if it's on DVD.

I did have a plot point that bugged me. If the system was so intelligent it could fake the president why didn't it just announce itself and be done with? If the AI wants to be in total control of America why didn't it just seize control? Other then that minor nitpick I loved this.