IMDb > The Bounty Hunter (2010/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Bounty Hunter

The Bounty Hunter More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

2 hours I will never get back...Aaaargh!

Author: Craig Somerville from Scotland
22 March 2010

Went to see this with pretty low expectations, thanks to some mainly negative reviews. However, Gerard Butler's performances are usually quite fun to watch, and although not her biggest fan I still quite like Jennifer Anniston as a comedy performer. The trailers looked OK, so all in all not the worst foundations for a potential enjoyable flick ( if you ignore the reviews anyway ).

Oh how wrong I am, like so many Hollywood "Comedies" these days, the trailers draw you in as they have ALL the funny parts of the movie. Unfortunately this means we have to endure the rest of the movie minus 2 minutes of amusement.

The script writers should hold there heads in shame. Its like a 10 year old wrote this. No quirkiness, no wit, no flair, even a usually charismatic Mr Butler came across as a twit thanks to this poor script. Why do films like these ever see the light of day.

Not enough laughs to be a comedy, not enough romance to be romantic, a severe lack of tension to be a thriller, not enough action to be a action flick. I'm not sure what it was trying to be. I don't think the film-makers did either to be honest.

Another thing, there were loads of "surely this can't be this bad" moments. Gerards dancing then kissing a colleague, talking about the horse incident, pretend torture scenes, Jennifers colleague and every scene he is in. I could go on and on.

Avoid this movie at all costs, its not even a worthy DVD rental.

There was nothing memorable here.

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
2 April 2010

Do you ever see Midnight Run(1989), or how about Bird on a Wire(1990), well The Bounty Hunter pretty much reminds you that you did. As it tries to bring elements of what was memorable about those two films, and it really misses the boat.

The story begins with Milo(Gerard Butler) an ex cop, who is now a down on his luck bounty hunter, is told that he will be set for life if he brings in his ex-wife Nicole(Jennifer Aniston) who jumped bail, and she is a journalist, working on a story that might get her killed. When Milo gets Nicole, and tries to bring her back to jail, a question comes to mind, will they make it, or get killed, or kill each other?

Gerard Butler just doesn't bring the same amount of comedic charm that he did in The Ugly Truth. He is unfunny and unpleasant to watch, I couldn't tell if he was recovering from a hangover or he was channeling Seth Rogan. Jennifer Aniston was alright, nothing really interesting here. The story is very half baked, never really explains itself. Too many undeveloped characters that keep getting thrown in the mix. Movies that are better than this are

Midnight Run(1989)

Bird on a Wire(1990)

The Rundown(2003).

So bad that it's somewhat good

Author: brejo57 from United States
29 March 2010

Don't get me wrong by any means, this movie was horrible. Usually I try to hold back on my way out of a movie, but not with this one. "That movie was horrible" is what I muttered to my date on the way to the car.

However, if you do your best to make all your experiences positive, you will sit back and laugh at how bad this movie is. It worked for me, and made the night worth it in that respect. Oh yeah, if you're a guy, Jennifer Aniston is fun to look at. And from what I hear, Gerard Butler makes for good eye candy for the ladies.

Have fun.

A genuinely repulsive and vomiting movie

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
1 April 2010

The Bounty Hunter is one of those pieces of crap which were made with the only purpose of showing two popular and attractive actors, and without even the minimum effort in the screenplay and the direction.However, it would be simpler to describe this movie as what it is NOT: it is not funny, it is not exciting, it is not entertaining.In summary: it is absolutely nothing.It is simply 110 minutes of Gerard Butler and Jennifer Aniston discussing without any passion and running without a purpose.So, it should not surprise us that there is not any ingenuity on the screenplay or credibility in the performances.However, I do not think they could be considered as "performances".

This is not the first time Aniston tries to buoy a bad movie with the bright of her "star" (Along Came Polly and Rumor Has It are two examples which come to my mind in this moment).However, I think this is the first time she brings us such a horrible performance with the mere hook of her charisma and physical attractive.As for Butler, the least I say, the better.His dramatic development is generally competent (like, for example, in 300 and Law Abiding Citizen); however, it is obvious he lacks of talent for the comedy because, as he made in The Ugly Truth, he exaggerates his dialogs and attitudes too much.And if we combine those two pathetic performances with the inexistent substance from the characters and story, we have as a final result a disaster which first of all, provokes embarrassment, and then irritation for having invested time and money on this piece of junk.

The screenplay is even worse than the performances: an absolutely flat screenplay, without any energy or the most elementary narrative push to make the spectator to get interested in the story.Finally, I have to mention the soundtrack, which puts effort in convincing us we are having fun; needless to say that the only thing the use of songs gets is making the torture worse, because even though the songs are not inherently bad, they feel as weak distractions which are incompatible with the dull tone from the movie, so they end up stressing its antipathy on their intention of disguising it.

I recommend you to stay very far away from this movie.It is obvious this movie was made with reluctance, so it is natural that my answer was exactly the same.In summary, The Bounty Hunter is an execrable movie which truly damages the cinema.

An old fashioned adventure-honest unbiased review!

Author: LVmomt from United States
22 March 2010

This is not Oscar worthy or modern action. What it is: reminiscent of the Smoky and The Bandit or a 1960's adventure/comedy movie. Glamorous, pretty, stylish. There are no painful embarrassing moments to suffer through. You have action and a tiny bit of suspense-a twist where you are not sure who is guilty and who is not. There's a bit of bickering between the main characters to laugh at, and action for the guys. I think the reviews I've seen are colored by Aniston hate and a lot of people used to high tech action flicks. This is more of a Doris Day ,young Sally Field, young James Garner type of movie, pretty innocent and just made to entertain. If you are looking for something to spend 2 hours blowing you out of your seat, or blatantly sexy, this isn't for you. If you want just a nice simple pain free romance with some action for date night, then this will fit the bill.

This coming from an Aniston fan

Author: sweetseventeen
19 March 2010

I love romantic comedies like 27 Dresses, sappy dramas like The Notebook & laugh-out-loud comedies like The Hangover. I've always been a fan of Jennifer Aniston, as she's beautiful, likable & relatable. I can say that I've never really connected with Gerard Butler. Saw him in The Ugly Truth, which was a better movie than this, but for me, I don't think these are the types of movies he should be making. He's a good looking guy, but something about him just doesn't translate well in the rom-coms. That being said, I went into this movie with low expectations. Much of the humor used was stupid, I can't even recall a "funniest" moment. And for a rom-com, it also lacked the "cute" moment.

Skip it.

This movie was really funny...when it was called Midnight Run

Author: Jackpollins from United States
19 March 2010

The Bounty Hunter would have been a word by word shot by shot ripoff of Midnight Run if it weren't for one of the 2 main characters being a woman. The film stars Gerald Butler as Milo, an ex-cop who's now a bounty hunter. He takes people who skips their court dates to jail. Enter Nicole (Jennifer Aniston), a successful reporter and Milo's ex-wife. Milo is more than happy to pick up Nicole and bring her to jail for $5,000. The problem with the film is that they just spend the whole film fighting. Both are so unlikable, and even know both are unlikeable, you still can not see why they were ever together. There's no plot, just a bunch of random jokes. Jason Sudekis, a funny guy, plays Nicole's co-worker Stewart, who basically stalks her. This isn't funny, and Sudekis has an unnecessary mustache. He doesn't have a mustache in real life, so there's no reason he needed a mustache here. I like both Aniston and Butler, but they are stuck with a lame script and dull characters. The film also features very, very, very one-dimensional bad guys who don't really do anything interesting nor bad. The film is overall a predictable and painful rip-off of Midnight Run. A talented cast is wasted here, and that's painful enough, but there's so much more painful stuff in this film.

"The Bounty Hunter" Is A Bust!

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
21 March 2010

"The Bounty Hunter" is not a rewarding experience. This lightweight but disposable comedy of errors about a grumpy bail bondsman up to his ears in gambling debts who must track down his investigative journalist ex-wife and take her into custody for bumping an NYPD police horse lacks momentum, coherence, and surprises. Indeed, the two leads--gorgeous blond Jennifer Aniston and rugged unshaven Gerard Butler--radiate more than enough physical chemistry, but a lackluster script lets them down. "Hitch" director Andy Tennant and "See Jane Run" scenarist Sarah Thorp have created an interesting premise packed with irony, but they blew it by having our attractive leads bicker with each other more often bash the bad guys in this lolly-gagging 110 minute misfire. Although it struggles to combine comedy with suspense as hilariously as both the Robert De Niro & Charles Grodin bounty hunting comedy "Midnight Run" (1988) and the witty Clint Eastwood & Bernadette Peters saga "Pink Cadillac" (1989) did, "The Bounty Hunter" rarely succeeds with either comedy or suspense. Nothing adds up here in this artificial romance about a divorced couple who rediscover their affection for each other.

New York Daily Times investigative reporter Nicole Hurley (Jennifer Aniston of "Marley & Me") receives a tip that a NYPD cop who leaped off a rooftop may not have committed suicide. Meanwhile, she ignores a summons to appear in court and pursues a red hot lead that may land her a scoop about the cop's mysterious death as well as police corruption. Nicole ditches her court date when her informant, Jimmy (Adam Rose of "The Squid and the Whale"), calls her up frantically as she is about to set foot in the courthouse and demands $500 with the story of a lifetime. Before our heroine can reach Jimmy, a trigger-happy thug with a gun, Mahler (Peter Greene of "Pulp Fiction"), abducts him in broad daylight. Back at the courthouse, the irate judge (Lynda Gravatt of "Landlocked") issues a bench warrant for Nicole's arrest. Ironically, former NYPD Detective Milo Boyd (Gerard Butler of "300") is pleading for more jobs when his boss Sid (Jeff Garlin of "RoboCop 3") hands him the task of hauling his ex-spouse to the hoosegow. Sid wonders if he is making the right decision when Milo reacts with ecstatic joy. Nicole and he were married for all of nine months before they got a divorce. Nicole's career soared as a result of their divorce, while Milo's career went down the crapper.

Simultaneously, Milo has been dodging two tenacious debt collectors. He owes them approximately $11-thousand dollars and needs the dough from Nicole's bond to pay them off. Naturally, when he cannot find Nicole, Milo contacts his former mother-in-law, a loony Atlantic City lounge singer, Kitty Hurley (Christine Baranski of "Mamma Mia!"), who sends him off to a nearby racetrack. Nicole, it seems, believes that she can take advantage of all the good luck that abandons other people at the racetrack to help her in her quest. Nicole's bubble bursts when Milo shows up and stuffs her unceremoniously into the trunk of a powder-blue limo. Inevitably, this leads to a succession of Nicole escaping from Milo and Milo recapturing her before our hero finally encounters Mahler. Not only does the murderous Mahler sideswipe Milo's car to get at Nicole, but he also exchanges gunfire with Milo. Milo starts taking Nicole seriously, especially when she implicates his former NYPD detective partner Bobby (Dorian Missick of "Rachel Getting Married") as a dirty cop. Naturally, Milo refuses to believe that Bobby, who gave Nicole to him at their wedding, could be involved in corruption of any kind.

An array of harebrained supporting characters does nothing to supplement the humor in "The Bounty Hunter," except to make it seem even more labored. First, Irene (Cathy Moriarty of "Raging Bull") dispatches two incompetent morons to collect the big bucks that Milo owes her. Neither nitwit has any success, however, at recouping Irene's dough. Second, rather than nabbing Milo, they mistake an idiotic New York Daily News reporter, Stewart (Jason Sudeikis of "The Rocker"), for Milo. Stewart desperately wants to team up with Nicole on the suicide story. Nicole refuses to have anything to do with Stewart, but he stubbornly declines to take no for an answer. Repeatedly, Nicole turns Stewart down every time that he pleads to collaborate with her. Eventually, Stewart ends up following Milo around so that he can contact Nicole. At one point, Stewart checks the trunk of Milo's car because he thinks that Milo may still have Nicole stashed in it. One of the debt collectors traces Milo's car. When he sees Stewart tampering with the trunk, he assumes that Stewart is Milo. Nothing that Stewart can say persuades the debt collector to let him go. Instead, the debt collector brings Stewart back so Irene can torture him. Irene and company go to work on Stewart before they discover that they are breaking the wrong guy's legs! This exasperating routine turns into a running gag that lacks humor. Eventually, Irene and her henchmen realize that they have made a terrible mistake. Consequently, they call in a racetrack physician who brandishes a giant syringe filled with horse tranquilizer to alleviate Stewart's pain. Unfortunately, this subplot generates little humor, largely because Stewart gets what he deserves for behaving like such an obnoxious lout.

Predictably, everything works out for our heroic couple, but the story is so incoherent and humorless that you don't care what happens to them, or for that matter Stewart in this lackluster opposites-attract-romantic-comedy-thriller.

Waste of time!

Author: jlj9675-1 from United States
19 March 2010

The only reason this horrible film did not get a rating of R is because they did not use the F word. And there are no overt sex scenes. But every other element of a morally repugnant film was present. The majority of characters are thugs (crooked cops, drug dealers, unethical bail bondsmen, snitches for their own benefit, sleazy reporters, slutty performers, hit men, etc.) employing disgusting language nonetheless and the venues bespeak the very dregs of society. The whole thing is offensive and I'm surprised Anniston agreed to be in it. The only interesting part is the mystery, which is why I stayed till the end, and that was not effectively revealed. All in all, a waste of time and money.

Excellent entertainment

Author: ray115 from Estonia
29 March 2010

The movie is surprisingly funny, all the people next to us were laughing many times. Also there is good action going all the time, nothing boring. The best of it was chemistry between Jennifer and Gerard.

Some jokes were maybe a bit true cruel but this doesn't bother too much. I liked this movie more than Mr. & Mrs. Smith which contained pointless shooting and so on.

Go to see this movie if You want to have good heart-warming feeling all day long and for entire week. Just turn off Your brain and enjoy pure sweet entertainment in romantic sauce.

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]