IMDb > The Bounty Hunter (2010/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Bounty Hunter More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Fighting Couple can't make this Funny

Author: SnoopyStyle
1 December 2013

Nicole Hurley (Jennifer Aniston) is a reporter working on a cover up. She misses a court date from a fender bender with a cop. Milo Boyd (Gerard Butler) is her ex-husband bounty hunter. He jumps on the chance to catch her. When he catches up, it sets off a series of adventures.

Jennifer Aniston is loud and smart. Gerard Butler is loud and brash. They have some chemistry together because they're basically the same person. But their sparring doesn't quite translate into hilarity.

The bad guys and their caper lead them to a friend from their past. The goons aren't funny enough. And quite frankly, neither is the movie. This movie needs better joke writers than relying on the Bickersons to argue a comedy out of it.

Don't believe the haters!

Author: sgtGiggsy from Hungary
1 September 2013

I don't understand why reviewers hated so much this film. It's a typical romantic comedy, with a little action, and an okay investigation part. I don't say it's an exceptionally good mix of these things, but still a really enjoyable one. The plot isn't very original, generally it's a witty love story of two people who used to love each other very much, but now can't stand each other. Actually it has some similarities with the earlier Jennifer Aniston movie 'The Break-up' just it's much better. The jokes are funnier, the plot doesn't consist the drama which isn't needed in a romantic comedy, and the chemistry between Aniston and Butler is far-far better. I think some people may expected more from this movie than this actually is. If you look for an easy to enjoy comedy, and not the finest of the movie history, it's a good choice for you. If you like good, not chick-flick type romantic comedies, try it, and I promise you won't be disappointed.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'll even wager that Knight and Day is better.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
19 May 2011

Had it been made in the 70s, The Bounty Hunter might have seen hunky Ryan O'Neal and lovable Goldie Hawn as its stars; in the 80s cheeky bit o' rough Mel Gibson would have signed on the dotted line (once again with Goldie as co-star); Mel might even have been in the running in the 90s, partnered by sexy girl-next-door Sandra Bullock (what with Goldie being too long in the tooth by then, and her equally lovable daughter Kate still a tad too young for such roles).

This being 2011, however, the likable, physically attractive stars signed up to make The Bounty Hunter appeal to the masses are adorable Jennifer Aniston and rugged Gerard Butler. With Jen squeezed into a figure hugging dress for the duration, making the most of her fine tits and ass, and Butler baring his chest for the ladies during a shower scene, there's something for both sexes, making the film the obvious choice for a 'date movie'.

But as lovely as I, and presumably most men, find the delectable Ms. Aniston, and as irresistible as I am sure Mr. Butler must be to many women (despite his wonky mouth), the stars share very little on-screen chemistry, and as a romantic comedy/thriller The Bounty Hunter is a complete failure. With not much in the way of either romance, comedy or thrills, and with predictable plot developments, irritating characters, and a complete absence of charm or originality, the film can only be considered a disappointment.

Rachel's Getting Arrested

Author: thesar-2 from United States
2 January 2011

The best thing I can say about The Bounty Hunter, was that this didn't star Katherine Heigl, because…this movie has her name written all over it. Instead, we have the EVER RACHEL (Friends) Jennifer Aniston – hell, does she even have it in her contract she can NEVER change that Rachel hair 'do?

But, the worst I can say about the movie is that it's too…damn...LONG. It's not a terrible movie, as a lot of people/critics are saying, but stretching an 85 minute, already predictable concept for an additional 26 minutes is just torture.

The other problem involved too many subplots. The ENTIRE gambling debt/Cathy Moriarty scenes NEEDED TO BE CUT. Not even added into the special features or any Easter Eggs. Don't get me wrong; I love Cathy – I'll never forget her in Soapdish. But, the movie would've been tighter if they briefly mentioned he had a gambling problem for it was completely irrelevant to the central plot or why these two (obviously) need to be together.

And here we go: the always perky, though down-on-his-luck, bounty hunter Milo's (Butler) next assignment is his ex-wife, Nicole (Aniston.) She's working on a suicide story for a newspaper and of course, her getting picked up by Milo is a major distraction.

On a side note, she's not much of a gambler – that we know of or that they established, but she allows herself to be a wide-open target at a horse track in Atlantic City, NJ. Sure, it took Milo a little wit to find her, but perhaps that was another scene that could've been cut or re-written.

At any rate, he gets her and he gambles while there – in the most realistic scene in the movie, he leaves happy to go to the games, he returns drunk and totally drained…BEEN THERE. Incredibly – well, they do explain, but it's weak – he agrees to delay her trip to jail so they can solve her police corruption/suicide story.

Hilarity (if you're into this kind of screwball comedy) ensues and the question of the most obvious conclusion arrives: will they get back together?

For the most part, the movie's harmless, but it needed to be shorter. Rachel, er, Aniston needed to be someone different for once…Seriously, it's not just her hair. The woman cannot act. She cannot be ANYONE but Rachel.

On the brightside…at least the role didn't go to the dreadful Heigl (SEE: the 1½ star The Ugly Truth, also starring Butler or the dreadful Killers – the movie that I simply couldn't get past 10 minutes and I turned it off.)

Side Notes: Just for the record, I did like her in Knocked Up – but that was it. Also, on a completely unrated subject: I hate gambling scenes in movies. They make me look away as if someone's guts were being spilled. Why? Again, been there, done that and we almost ALWAYS get the same results: Hopeful target with a smile, a SURPRISE win on the first roll or turn of the cards (not really, since we knew it was coming, but still…) and the inevitable crash and burn. The minute a gambling scene happens in a movie, I almost always turn away…because both the end result is predictable but also…I don't wish to revisit that same feeling.

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
31 December 2010

Gerard Butler is a bounty hunter who has not fully recovered from his divorce with news reporter Jennifer Aniston, not to mention that he's "in the hole" regarding debts owed to multiple people. Butler believes he's hit the jackpot when Aniston, who failed to show up for her court date due to a "hot lead"(but she doesn't get there in time), bond revoked, is to be picked up. Aniston got arrested for "a parking ticket", as well as, "assaulting a police officer", and this is why she's in her current situation. So is the movie's "joke". Milo believes this assignment will be a piece of cake, but we know such will not be the case and that Nicole shall be a constant nuisance. I found THE BOUNTY HUNTER a poor excuse for Jennifer Aniston to wear tight clothes to reveal her nice curves and tanned complexion. She has a knock-out figure and a fine pair of legs(I've always liked her body in those one-piece dresses which hug to her skin), and I reckon women find Butler's rugged bear-of-a-man her equal in sexiness. That's the point, isn't it? Bickering exes who haven't completely gotten over each other, a shopworn premise recycled over and over to infinity and beyond. Sex appeal is all this has going for it. That and Nicole's "source" given her up to a creep who wants her mouth shut. Of course Milo and Nicole hit Atlantic City because she entices the gambler in him to attempt to seduce Lady Luck..yeah, I know, fat chance. This movie has the obligatory "Nicole blows on dice, with Milo winning constantly" only to end, as you'd expect, with the two walking away from the table in the same shape as they came to it. Meanwhile, Milo has thugs looking to find him over money he owes them, and his former cop partner could be a crook who signed off on the suicide of a policeman which might be covering up another crime. The romantic comedy traits are all here. The spark reignites, their burning flame still dormant and just needing an adventure eluding those who want to harm them.

Please, Jennifer no more romantic comedies

Author: MLDinTN from TN
21 December 2010

For some reason Jennifer Anniston just can't pick a great movie script. She keeps trying her craft at romantic comedies and continues to fail. She keeps picking scripts that offer nothing new and have been done many times. But because of her success with Friends, movie studios just keep throwing the same kind of movie role at her. She should really try something else, like an autobiography or really serious drama. About the only role I can think of that she was good in was the Good Girl, which was a drama. Imagine that: she should really try to get a role more like that.

Any ways, another problem with this film besides been done a million times was that Anniston and Gerard Butler had little chemistry. Seeing them on screen makes you wonder how they would have gotten married in the first place. And in the end when you know they were going to eventually rekindle the romance, it was almost laughable. They just didn't have anything going for them.

FINAL VERDICT: Sure it had a few cute scenes, but you've seen it before. Not worth a viewing.

Dreadful romantic comedy, does nothing to reinvent the genre.

Author: callanvass
18 December 2010

(Credit IMDb) Milo Boyd, a down-on-his-luck bounty hunter, gets his dream job when he is assigned to track down his bail-jumping ex-wife, reporter Nicole Hurly. He thinks all that's ahead is an easy payday, but when Nicole gives him the slip so she can chase a lead on a murder cover-up, Milo realizes that nothing ever goes simply with him and Nicole. The exes continually one-up each other - until they find themselves on the run for their lives. They thought their promise to love, honor and obey was tough - staying alive is going to be a whole lot tougher.

Considering I like both Butler and Aniston, I had hopes of enjoyment for this movie. Boy was I dead wrong. Not only is it lazy in it's approach, the characters Butler and Aniston play are purely despicable. They had no chemistry with one-another, nor did I find them appealing. Butler is a cocky whiner who I just wanted to slap, and Aniston's constant, poor-me attitude drove me crazy. Bounty Hunter also confuses the viewer and itself in my opinion, on how it's supposed to be marketed towards the audience. At times it feels like a Romantic, Comedy, at times it feels like an Action/Comedy. It doesn't have the proper balance it needs. I really had an awful viewing experience with this movie, and I plan on staying away from it in the near future.

Performances. Gerard Butler is usually very charismatic, but I couldn't stand the sight of his character. He tries his best with the material he is given, but can't do anything with it. I don't blame him, I blame the material. Jennifer Aniston is easy to look at, but she seems to be going through the motions here, and her character is very easy to dislike. Chemistry was also lacking with Butler. Christine Baranski is OK as the mom, nothing more.

Bottom line. Maybe I am being overly harsh with this movie, but the fact is I disliked it that much. It's boring, unfunny, and completely tired. Heed my advice, and look at some better works of Aniston and Butler, thank me later. Who knows, maybe you'll end up enjoying it more then I did.

Author: clanto03 from United States
13 December 2010

In the film, The Bounty Hunter, Milo Boyd (Gerard Butler) a bounty hunter who was given an assignment to bring his ex-wife Nichole Hurley (Jennifer Aniston) to jail for skipping out on her court appearance. Throughout the movie Nichole tries to inform Milo that she could not go to jail because she has been so close to breaking a suicide case. As she tries to convince Milo that the suicide was actually a murder, Milo had to find out the hard way by a gun fight with a dirty cop named Carl Mahler (Peter Greene, The Mask). After Mahler escapes the gun fight, Milo wants to know about the case that Nichole was working on. As the two teamed up to crack the suicide/murder case they became close again and willing to give their relationship another try. But before they could give their relationship another go, Milo still had to take Nichole to jail first, despite of their reconnection.

The theme of this film to me was no matter how far love has squandered off, somehow it finds its way back in our hearts. No matter what the circumstances maybe working together to sort out the differences in a relationship may rekindle the fire that was burn out.

Along with the plot of Milo getting Nichole to jail, a few other plots that occurred throughout the film; the bookies trying to collect money that Milo owes, and the Steward (Jason Sudeikis, Happens in Vegas) will stop at nothing to confess his dying love for Nichole. These two plots are used in the film as other obstacles that Nichole and Milo have to deal with in order to solve the murder case.

The lighting in the hotel room that Milo and Nichole spent the night in, seem to give off a cozy warmth feeling that the room was worth every penny that "she" paid for. Throughout the hotel room sequence, the lighting was not too bright and not too dark; it was very soft and well lit for each scene. In the scene where Milo comes back from gambling off his paycheck, the room was dark and lit by reddish light. The lighting in this scene set the mood for their romantic chat. The way the lighting was produced in this scene, gave off the sense that something intimate was about to occur. Most of the film was shot outdoors using natural lighting. Using the outdoor lighting gave the film a sense of adventure. Depending on the scene one would get caught into the action of the film, for example, when Milo and Nichole went into the police inventory department. The lighting in this scene was dark but lit in a small area of the room,that cast shadows throughout the room, giving the scene a sense of danger may occur at any given moment. Even though it may be hard to deal with a circumstance that involves the one you love the most, such as being a cop and a family member attacks someone, one must take the responsibility to still do the job that was given to them. A job is a job!

Divorce. Not always a bad thing.

Author: reelcouples from United States
12 December 2010

Have you ever had a sense of impending doom? Felt like there was a heavy weight pressing on your chest making it hard to breathe? If so, you were either having warning signs of a heart attack, or, like K and I, anticipating the premiere of The Bounty Hunter.

Adding to our reluctance, as BH hit theaters on Friday, spring hit New York. It was warm and sunny and, wow, so not the kind of weather that makes a gal want to go to the movies. We faced a moral dilemma: Should we see if these two are The Reel Thing, or should we sit outside at our favorite Mexican place and have fish tacos and margaritas? Let's just say…the guacamole was delicious! That left me on my own to see the movie over the weekend. Saturday afternoon was out, since it was seventy-two degrees and the park was calling. Saturday evening I met friends for dinner and tried roping them into it. (Note to self: Get more gullible friends.) Finally, on Sunday, I headed to the theater, armed with an industrial-sized iced coffee smuggled in my bag. The usher directed me up to the attic, reserved for movies that have either been out since the beginning of time or should never have been made in the first place. There were seven of us brave souls in the audience, including one guy who clearly deserved a boyfriend-of-the-year award. Five of us lasted until the end.

(At this point, you may be wondering: Why hasn't she said anything about the couple yet? The answer is: Because I like you!) But, okay, fine, no more postponing the inevitable. Milo Boyd is a washed up ex-cop turned bounty hunter with a gambling problem and enough hostility toward his ex-wife to keep a flock of therapists busily at work for the rest of his life. Nicole Hurly, no less bitter after their divorce, is an ambitious Daily News reporter who misses a court date while hot on the trail of a story about a suicide that might be murder and thus winds up on the wrong side of the law herself.

Naturally, because there are only 8 million people in New York, Milo is hired to bring Nicole in when her bail is revoked. The two squabble (possibly this is supposed to be banter) and run around a lot, and people shoot at them, and eventually they solve the case.

Along the way, we're left to wonder not why they got divorced after nine short months, but how they ever got married in the first place. They have the sort of long-suffering, irritated vibe of people stuck together in an interminable line at Costco. Milo hates Nicole's job and blames her ambition for the problems in their relationship. Nicole can't seem to find a single redeeming quality in Milo (and honestly, she's not alone there). The situation doesn't change much over the course of the movie, and their intention to get back together makes about as much sense as…well, their decision to get married in the first place.

Maybe the whole thing would be a little more understandable if there was some kind of smoldering chemistry lurking beneath the obvious dislike, but their relationship has all the spark of a dead battery. There's not one, but two, rounds of hijinks with handcuffs, and in both cases, it's about as titillating as a Tupperware party. If they hadn't mentioned dating for six months, I would have guessed they got trashed in Atlantic City one night and woke up married as complete strangers.

I give this reunion a zero percent chance of success, but lay even odds that one of them ends up in jail during the attempt. The moral of the story: Divorce. Not always a bad thing.

www.reel-couples.com

Another nail in the Hollywood coffin

Author: ian959 from Australia
24 October 2010

Okay, just to get it out of the way real quick, this is not a very good movie. I suppose it is meant to be an action romantic comedy but it fails on both counts. Its just another 100 minutes of Hollywood clichés that we have seen dozens of times before in assorted guises and they weren't very good the first time round. It takes about the first minute of the film to work out where this one ends up in the romantic side of things. The action is wildly lame. The characters are grotesquely under developed and grotesquely stereotyped. There are completely unnecessary characters that do less than nothing to move the stolid story along at anything but a snails pace. What I find terribly depressing is why Hollywood producers seem to think this short of regurgitated rubbish is worthy of actually committing to celluloid. On this sort of evidence you have to wonder why the film companies don't just save themselves hundreds of millions of dollars and just close down production. Be better than wasting money making this sort of unwatchable drivel. Oh, and the casting is atrocious (can anyone explain to me why Jennifer Aniston keeps on getting parts?). She cannot act, has all the emotive powers of the local rubbish dump and seems incapable of actually doing anything other than regurgitate the same character ad nauseam. Gerard Butler seems to be ready to rehash the same chauvinistic character ad nauseam too. You would really be struggling to find an actor in this drivel.