IMDb > The Bounty Hunter (2010/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 14: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Good, but nothing spectacular

Author: Enchorde from Sweden
5 February 2011

Recap: Nicole is a busy journalist making a career at a big newspaper. And now, when she got a lead on a case with a mysterious death she is so busy that she misses her own court appointment, and her bail is revoked. That leads to her being hunted by Milo, a disgraced cop turned bounty hunter in need of cash. Actually, his bookies goons are out to get him already. So the 5000 dollar reward looks really nice, but what's really tempting is that he now got the chance to bring his ex-wife to jail. Oh, yeah, Nicole and Milo used to be married and it didn't end nice. So you bet there going to be trouble when they catch up.

Comments: I liked this one. A rather classic, "safe" relation/action comedy about two headstrong people that always seem to be fighting but end up finding one another. Safe meaning that this is nothing new, but it works well. And Bounty Hunter works really well. It got a good tempo, it is fun and entertaining to watch and about everything you could ask for.

That being said, safe also means it doesn't aspire to any new heights of movie experience. Aniston and Butler does their roles well, but they don't have any real chemistry as a couple. There are no sparks, those that are impossible to script but gives the movie that little extra. And there are no exceptional supporting character that throws in a gem now and then, everything is very focused on them as a couple. The subplots, with their personal respective problems does give some extra spice to the story though.

At the end credits a thought occurred to me. What if their roles had been reversed? Butler as a career minded journalist and Aniston as the tough bounty hunter? Probably to provocative gender based, and certainly not a safe bet. But handled well and with success it might have given this already good comedy an extra edge.

This is perfect for an evening with family or friends. A safe bet that everyone will enjoy. Simply a good, entertaining comedy, but with nothing extra.

To tell you the sad truth, I kind of liked it.

Author: Christian_Dimartino from United States
5 August 2010

Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler play ex-lovers in heat in the predictable but yet somewhat fun film, The Bounty hunter. When I saw the trailer for this film, I wanted to hate it. Not because of Jennifer Aniston but because of Gerard Bulter. But as it turns out, both actors kind of, surprisingly,won me over.

Butler plays Milo, a bounty hunter who is all over his next assignment:Pick up his ex wife(Jennifer Aniston) and take her to jail. But along the way, he realizes that whatever crime she committed(can't remember it), she is innocent. And they begin to fall for each other.

The Bounty hunter is your typical lovers in heat action romantic comedy. It's not as good as Knight and day but it makes up for the atrocious Killers.I actually laughed during this film, which really surprised me. Aniston is funny and cute,as always, and Butler really surprised me.

He plays your typical a-hole ex husband. But he's actually kind of likable, and less annoying. Which is the opposite of his performance in The ugly truth. The Bounty hunter is at least remotely enjoyable and sort of funny, unlike that movie.

The bounty hunter made me laugh here and there and I was kind of entertained. And the two actors are likable. I wish Aniston could find something different. Not a romantic comedy. She hasn't done a good movie in a while, besides Marley & me. Which is a shame. Because she's so likable. I wish she could star in something like Rock star or The Good girl. But for now, you're just going to have to deal with The Bounty hunter.

The Bounty hunter:B-

Highly contrived rom-com that has a few entertaining moments.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
25 July 2010

Last night we had a house full, for barbecue and birthday cake. If I counted correctly, 9 of us. In a sense this was the perfect movie for the evening because you didn't have to think too hard, you can get up to check the unexpected thunderstorm or take a phone call, and not miss to much. Plus it is one of those where one character explains everything to another at the end, just in case you missed anything.

Gerard Butler is Milo Boyd, bounty hunter, mostly sent by the bail bondsman to find those who have skipped bail. Milo is an ex-cop, and he claims he can be one again if he wants, but seems to be always operating on the financial edge, and often the wrong side of the edge.

As luck would have it (or maybe contrived script writing) his recent ex-wife, Jennifer Aniston as Nicole Hurley, is hot on a story that she believes will expose corruption in law enforcement and fails to show for her court date after being charged with striking an officer, actually the officer's horse with her car, in a rush to get around traffic. So Milo is hired to get her back and into jail, and collect $5,000 for his efforts (10% of the $50K bond).

So, with that basic premise, in and around New York and Atlantic City, Milo and Nicole play out this game to see if (1) he can take her in or (2) she can get the best of him and get back to her story. They weren't married long, and part of the story is for each of them to realize that perhaps it was a mistake for them to break up and end their marriage.

The corruption in law enforcement is just there to give the plot some additional meat and allow them to get to the point where they can foil the bad guys together.

The most fun in the whole movie was Christine Baranski as Atlantic City stage entertainer, Kitty Hurley. She happens to be Nicole's mother and as only Baransky can plays the role with great comedic timing and delivery.

Blah

Author: bigskalko from United States
14 July 2010

Nothing more than average here. The basic romantic-comedy with two big name actors that can bring an audience in purely because of name. Aniston is looking cute and tight at her age and Butler is looking fit besides for his soon to be turkey neck. Story line is quite boring and characters besides for Aniston and Butler have little description or background. It would have been nice to see characters such as Butlers old police 'kiss ass' to get more attention. A few cheap laughs here and there but overall a very average movie. If anyone is looking for an even more boring movie similar to this one, "Did You Hear About the Morgans?" is calling for you.

Shite Wrapped In A Stinking Turd!

Author: RobTheRedHead from Australia
3 February 2013

Gerard Butler and Jennifer Aniston stink to high Heaven in this seriously awful film.

I got as far as them talking at Cupid's Cabin and by then I felt my life slipping away and had to turn it off or I would have started self-harming.

The acting, direction, script, plot, in fact everything was s-h-i-t-e! Neither Aniston and Butler have on screen charisma and together it was a toxic mix.

It was like watching a Film Making for Dummies 1-0-1. Predictable. Cliché.

One of the worst films I have seen.

So Much Fun!

Author: Richard Wheeler from South Africa
19 September 2010

A comedy film would be no better if we didn't have witty Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler. It was just so amusing to watch an ex-married couple fight as it is so common these days! Most people do not have a successful love life after marriage. It just happens, and when they see each other again or see too much of each other, familiarity breeds contempt (they fight). I must say, it's so far fetched to be a bounty hunter who has to take his ex-wife to court! But it's realistic that you have to have thick skin to get through life e.g. - don't let people push you over, do not give a rat's ass about what people say, all you must do is get your job done. And , through the long run, you both reunite as friends and you both develop as characters e.g. - Fighting your own battles, being exposed to obstacles which you need to have thick skin and have respect for each other as both of you have to work like a team.

Don't want to be direct about what I'm saying as it will spoil the surprises in the movie! ;-)

This is from the same guy who brought us 1941?

Author: thekyles99 from Canada
3 August 2010

Oh boy where do i start with this one? Well it definitely was not what i was expecting considering Gerard Butler was in it, I can't say i don't like Gerard in a romantic comedy, he was awesome in the Ugly Truth a movie i actually own however i prefer is working genre to be action. I have definitely seen Jenn Aniston in way better. This supposed comedy had little and no laughs throughout. The storyline was weak as hell and had no general direction, still can't believe this made it to the theatre i mean i have seen way better straight to DVD releases then this! I'm totally taking note of director Andy Tennant and will make sure I make a thing of not seeing any movies under his tutelage again.

Far from perfect, but enjoyable

Author: crow30002003 from United States
18 June 2010

I have not been in a movie theater since April of last year. I recently went to the local $1.50 movie theater with some relatives to see The Bounty Hunter, a film starring Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler. The flick is a mix of action, comedy to offset the seriousness, with some subtle romance being the glue that mixes these together.

The film centers around Milo, a bounty hunter who was a former police officer, and his ex-wife Nicole, who is a journalist who is working on the case of a suicide. Milo finds out that his latest job is nabbing his former significant other due to her not appearing in court in favor of gathering information on the inside about said suicide. Her capture would pay the handsome sum of $5,000 dollars.

In the beginning, Milo and Nicole's relationship was virtually non-existent, with the two exchanging harsh words and even handcuffing each other to beds. However, as the film goes on, they do get back together, abet slowly and with several fake-outs along the way. In the end, Milo gets himself arrested after turning in Nicole, and the film ends with a kiss within a powder blue jail cell.

Most of the comedy comes from Nicole's work-mate and unrequited lover, Stewart, who looks like if Dave Coulier grew a mustache. He gets mistaken for Milo, and is kidnapped by the main villain of the movie, Earl. He is the comic relief butt monkey by any other name. He refers to himself as Nicole's self-proclaimed boyfriend, even to the point of "Breaking up" with her around the end.

There are some negatives about this film. For example, many clichés are rampant, but will not detract from the movie at all, it's just bait for the nit-picky film nut. Also, the film, though picking up almost within 5 minutes of the opening, tends to drag along with few moments of character development and the aforementioned fake-outs.

Otherwise, this is a solid flick with little to hold it back. Granted, it isn't the greatest film ever made, nor is it the world's best waste of celluloid.

Romcom at it's averagest

Author: siderite from Romania
7 June 2010

Gerald Butler, the new face of the manly man, with Jennifer Aniston the old face of the most romantic of pursuits... what could go wrong? Well, the script for once. The chemistry between the characters maybe. Also, only if one was malevolent in nature, it might be thought as possible that the soundtrack would be constructed out of catchy pop songs that are all the rage this very minute, but gone the next. Certainly, at least the acting would be without flaw.

Well, the correct choice is "all of the above" and they acted like they couldn't wait to end the movie sooner. Even the negative character had a bad time playing this. It was no. fun. at. all.

Bottom line: stop wasting our time with movies that are predictably bad, else you will lose the last shred of audience naive enough to actually pay to see your movies: romantic girls.

Gerry Can Do Better

Author: jalabelle from United States
25 March 2010

First, let me say that I am one of Gerard Butler's true and loyal fans. He's smart, good-looking and very talented. He can play Beowulf, Dracula, the Phantom, and a Spartan king. He can sing rock and opera, dance, seduce, and slaughter with finesse. But, lordy, lordy, why does he keep doing these romantic comedy things? Secondly, let me say that I'm just okay when it comes to Jennifer Aniston. She's just okay. Last Friday afternoon I paid the $9.50 to sit in my neighborhood theater and watch The Bounty Hunter. Positive comments first: Gerry looked and acted like a regular guy, and he really ate the food in the eating scenes. I liked this. (These directors who think we don't catch on to the fact that actors usually just move the food around on their plates really underestimate us. I hope he didn't use a spit bucket, either.) Although it seemed like Gerry was playing the straight man in most of the scenes, I liked his laughter and his energy. As leading man he really had the heavy work of holding up the film. My favorite bits were those where he was serious and possibly falling again for his ex-wife. He was very believable in those moments, and quite romantic. I also enjoyed the supporting characters, especially Sioban Fallon's Theresa. What a kick! And Jeff Garlin's Sid was fun, too.

Other comments: I've seen enough of Jennifer Aniston running for her life in a pencil skirt, high heels and a tank top to last me a lifetime. Enough already. She's famous. She's eye candy. But her acting in this was nothing new ... just okay.

Of course, with two big stars like Jennifer and Gerry, this film was well-advertised, and I suppose the general public will flock to see it. So far they seem enjoy it as part of the normal romantic comedy diet they are used to. But there is very little in this effort to give it a life of its own beyond the month of April. Come on, Gerry. We need to see you lift something heavier than Jennifer. I for one am waiting to see how Coriolanus turns out. I'm keeping the faith.

Page 11 of 14: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]