IMDb > The Bounty Hunter (2010/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Bounty Hunter

The Bounty Hunter More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I waited weeks for this?

Author: kowgirl_tina-1 from United States
20 March 2010

I was excited when I first saw the previews of this movie. I am a HUGE Gerard Butler fan and I don't believe he's ever done a movie with Ms Anniston. The concept was fair enough...a romantic comedy with a little suspense thrown in. I left the theater feeling..."that's it?" Sure there were a couple cute things here and there, maybe a little suspense, but definitely not enough to carry a movie! The pace was much too slow for me, although I'm sure the actors did what they could with the script they were given. I loved seeing Gerard in Law Abiding Citizen, but this was truly disappointing! I am a big movie fan, but I wouldn't recommend seeing this to any of my friends :(

A shabby patchwork quilt of other movies' ideas

Author: StarDragyn from USA
19 March 2010

Just got back from the theater--walked in the door and turned on the computer--and am in agony! I was really excited about this movie and looking forward to seeing it ever since the previews came out. But, boy!, was I disappointed. All of the cute stuff (and pretty much the only cute stuff) was contained in those previews.

There is nothing original, and nothing funny enough or well-acted enough to make its unoriginality interesting. Jennifer Aniston did a decent job, given what she had to work with (though she does act like she does in most of her other movies). But the writing wasn't good, and the plot was weak and all over the place. Most everything you see, you've seen before--just done better somewhere else--and all of it combined into something very hodgepodge. It's like the storywriters just took a "pinch of this" and a "dash of that" from various comedies, romances, and action adventures, and tried to make a soup out of them.

The music was so bad I'm even giving it its own paragraph. I had no idea the music would make such a difference, normally I don't notice it's even there. Not so on this one! It was often agonizingly out of place, where you had to wonder what the score writers were thinking, or why they picked the song they did.

I left twice for the concession stand, and didn't even care to ask what had happened while I was gone. There were times I found that I was even having to remind myself to pay attention to the dialogue. As I don't go to the theater often, it's usually a treat to me, and most of the time I enjoy whatever I'm watching simply because it's relaxing and a chance to be out. But for once I was actually bored. It was about the quality of a TV show, but unfortunately lasted the length of a full movie.

The romantic/action with husband and wife fighting-yet-finding-they-might-still-love-each-other plot has been done before much better. "Mr and Mrs Smith" was GOOD. "Fool's Gold" was decent. "Bounty Hunter" was just downright poor. So disappointing!

A Misfire

Author: Apox66 from London, England
17 March 2010

Comedies are one of the luckiest genres in cinema. They can be wacky, ridiculous, absurd and totally unbelievable, and it won't matter as long as they make you laugh. Because of this loophole, comedies get away with almost anything as long as they keep the audience stocked up with belly laughs.

'The Bounty Hunter' commits the cardinal sin of comedies - it's completely ridiculous, at the same time as just not being funny. It's certainly ambitious; it weaves the story of Aniston & Butler together with a murder conspiracy, and a pretty big gambling debt collection. But ultimately I felt that it was trying desperately to keep you distracted from the fact that you're not laughing.

So, this comedy doesn't find the fabled comedy loophole - it's too absurd to take seriously, and not funny enough to get a free ride.

Almost mediocre

Author: wiseguyro from Romania
8 April 2010

Andy Tennant's movies have been hit and miss. He directed Anna and the King and Hitch, but also Fool's Gold and this. He should have a better hand at choosing his scripts by now cause this one is a mess.

It's a hybrid of romantic comedy and action movie. It fails in both categories. The characters are one dimensional and under developed. If it weren't for Butler's natural charm I would've ended up hating his character, a drunken gambler who got thrown out of the police force. The action is cliché for the small amount of time it graces us with its presence, and most of the humor falls flat, maybe because you've already seen/heard the jokes before, from other, better movies.

For all their likability, both Gerard Butler and Jennifer Aniston seem to be on auto pilot. Gerard is his own charming persona and Aniston is, well, Rachel from Friends, though they exhibit some chemistry. Neither will benefit from starring in this movie. Side note: Christine Baranski is wasted in a role far beneath her talent.

That's not to say this is a bad movie. It has some fun moments, though familiar, and it will not seem a total waste of time. On the other hand it isn't a particularly good movie and you will forget about it as soon as it is over.

Has some merit

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
17 March 2010

This movie is a romantic comedy - this is very clear from the poster and trailer - and a thriller. Except it's not very funny, not that romantic, and not very thrilling.

For all that, there's something likable about it, and that's probably Jennifer Aniston, even if she's delivering the same thing she's delivered in every other film she's ever been in. Gerard Butler's character is crass, has been thrown off the police force, has a severe gambling problem, is a smug git, and a bit of a bully. It's no surprise why the marriage between these two broke down, and it's a real surprise why she would ever consider getting back together with him.

There's a bit of excitement here and there, and the occasional sense of jeopardy. A reasonable quantity of story runs through it, but it isn't very believable.

On consideration, I'm surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did.

better than the reviews say

Author: gottaste from United States
18 April 2010

I really don't understand the harsh reviews here. Many are just not credible when they're overstating their dislike of the movie. What did they want? nudity, swearing, bathroom jokes? Jeez, not enough of that in Hollywood! This movie was exactly what I was expecting, so I liked it. This is not a Jim Carey movie so don't expect a silly, slapstick film. The script here is better than many movies I've seen lately that did better at the box office, so the only thing I can assume is that people went in with an expectation of a different type of film. If you don't go in with expectations of big laughs, but rather a nice movie about an ex in trouble and her slightly vindictive ex-husband taking pleasure in hauling her back for cash, you'll like this movie. That is, unless your more into just thinking what critics tell you to think. I'd like to see Butler do more of these movies.

Criminal

Author: jdesando from United States
22 March 2010

If there's a bounty hunter to haul in "criminal" comedies, then The Bounty Hunter" should receive capital punishment for murdering the romantic comedy genre. So far this year When in Rome looks even better now by contrast, and, well, She's Out of My League looks even cute.

But this one is a killer. Milo Boyd (Gerard Butler) is the titular cop who tries to take his ex-wife Nicole Hurley (Jenifer Aniston) to jail because she's jumped bail. Everyone associated with this film except the talented Christine Baranski as Nicole's cabaret-singing, swinging mother should be locked up. I laughed not even once given that the film is paint by numbers plot about exes who still love each other and fight almost to the end to disprove that situation.

Aniston's only observable talent here is to display a well-tended body in tight short skirt (even though she plays a reporter, most of whom could not go the News Awards looking half as good), and Butler shows he still has his 300 abs, muscular arms, and seductive lisp. After those attributes, the stars are on their own with lines to blush over and set ups trite as could ever be conjured.

A bounty hunter is not a real cop, and The Bounty Hunter is not a real comedy. Both want to be much more than they are but will never be. "Book 'em, Danno!"

The Aniston & Butler Show

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
16 July 2010

It is a well known fact that American comedies generally suffer from lackluster scripts, usually employed as vehicles for rising or established stars. The Bounty Hunter is no exception, as its charm lies solely in the joint presence of Gerard Butler and Jennifer Aniston, rather than in the fact that Andy Tennant (Hitch) is directing. Of course, even two fine actors such as those in this film are no good if the material is beneath their talent.

The story goes like this: Butler is an ex-cop who currently works as a bounty hunter. One day, he is given the opportunity to bring in his ex-wife (Aniston), who is wanted by the police after jumping bail. As he tracks her down and embarks on a hellish journey to take her back home, the two find themselves in the middle of a murky murder case, not to mention a series of situations that put their hatred for each other to the test.

On paper, there's plenty of potential for a moderately entertaining action comedy: think Midnight Run with a rom-com twist. Unfortunately, the film is an uneven mess, jumping from cringe-worthy "romantic" moments to OTT action scenes, complete with clichéd hotel room/strip club bits that have been out of fashion for quite some time. The tonal inconsistencies are reflected in the acting, as well: supporting performances range from passably straight (Jeff Garlin) to borderline ridiculous (Christine Baranski), whereas the leading duo does generally fine when they're together, less so separately, with Aniston being clearly more at ease with the less physically demanding stuff, while the opposite is true for Butler.

In short, The Bounty Hunter is an inconsistent picture that doesn't have enough laughs for a comedy, nor the appropriate direction for an action flick. The best option would be to ignore it altogether.

The trailer is the best part of this film.....pass

Author: IheartCali5882 from United States
22 July 2010

Normally I enjoy Aniston in romantic comedies, but this is highly disappointing. The dialogue and the storyline read like something from a children's cartoon. It's far too elementary and simple-minded to be taken seriously, even on an un-serious comedy level.

Jennifer Aniston plays an investigative reporter who has skipped her court date one too many times and finally gets a bench warrant under her name for failing to appear before the judge. Conveniently her estranged husband (Gerard Butler), is a bounty hunter who somehow finds out that she's skipped bail so naturally he will be the one to retrieve her. If you think you know where this story is going to go, you're absolutely right. Nothing in the film comes as a surprise. In fact, I kept thinking it couldn't get anymore predictable or cliché'd but it did to no avail.

Did either of these two actually read the script? I'm not exaggerating when I say I could write a better story right this minute with absolutely no cred to my name as a screenwriter. For two such likable actors, this film is hard to swallow. Total lack of creativity, shallow characters, and the unforgivable faux pas of giving a measly reporter a New York apartment that looks like it jumped straight from the pages of Good Housekeeping. No way she could ever afford that on her salary. And this is just one of many, many missteps in this film to make it nearly two-hours of unbelievable, cheesy fluff.

Do yourself a favor and skip it. You can thank me later.

This 'Bounty Hunter' is a real dog

Author: gregeichelberger from San Diego
19 March 2010

Remember when Hollywood couples who were actually together in real life made decent films (i.e. Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn, Laurence Olivier and Vivian Leigh, Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, Ronald Reagan and Nancy Davis - whoops, omit that last one)?

Now we get couples who are together for a few months but manage to get a movie in, most of which last longer than the relationship (i.e. Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez, Ben Affleck and Gwyneth Paltrow, Ben Affleck and Jennifer Gardner, Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn, etc., etc., etc.).

And currently, we get Jennifer Aniston with her latest, Gerard Butler ("Phantom of the Opera," "Nim's Island," "300"), in what is basically nothing more than a remake of a bad episode (okay, EVERY episode) of "Dog, The Bounty Hunter" mixed with "Mr. and Mrs. Smith (starring another real-life couple) and "Midnight Run," the classic comedy from 1988 with Charles Grodin and Robert DeNiro.

If this film were a) slightly interesting, b) somewhat novel and/or c) remotely funny, then I might have enjoyed it - a tad. Since it did not fulfill even one of the above specifications, however, I have to trudge into my office and write yet another negative review for a Jennifer Aniston picture - it isn't something I necessarily enjoy, either.

And, if these two are really romantically linked, then judging by their chemistry on screen, I'd get into counseling posthaste.

Here, Aniston plays reporter Nicole Hurley (not for one second did I believe she came anywhere NEAR that profession, by the way), who is working a story about murder, crooked cops and stolen drugs. She fails to appear in court as ordered. She's arrested for assault on a New York City police officer, but skips bail, causing a plot convenience device the size of the planet Pluto to be put into action.

That device is having her down-on-his-luck ex husband (a former cop, now a bounty hunter, hence the title), Milo Boyd (Butler), go after her. He tracks her down and while on his way to deliver her (he's a gambler, so he takes the scenic route back to NYC, through Atlantic City), goons try to kill both of them.

Now on the lam, the couple bickers, fights, argues and comes as close to sexual tension as Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt might have at one time in history.

They escape, but both are marked by various hoods for death. This frightful prospect does not keep the two from engaging in silly sexual high-jinx and stilted wordplay that would embarrass a 14-year-old on his first date. Every situation in this movie has been tried (and usually fallen flat) dozens of times.

I always try to find a few good things to say about any production (only because I know a little bit about the blood, sweat and tears it takes to bring something - ANYTHING - to the screen) and, except for a few minor characters who appear and then quickly exit, there is absolutely nothing noteworthy about "The Bounty Hunter."

I even tried to give some kudos to director Andy Tennant, who was responsible for the quirky "Ever After" and the semi-sweet "Hitch." But, then again, I realized he also directed "Sweet Home Alabama," "Fool's Gold" and now this. I therefore can no longer come up with anything positive to write about Mr. Tennant.

Plus, if 2009 set the lofty standard as the single worst year for comedies in motion picture history, then 2010, already featuring "Our Family Wedding," "Cop Out" and this bowl of slop, may just - as unbelievable as it may seem - lower that bar even further. This wasn't a movie where the trailer exhibited ALL of the good lines, this was a film where the trailer itself exhibited NO good lines.

The only reason I even saw this turkey was because I HAD to. Those readers who have NO such obligation, please - for the love of all that is holy - avoid this like the plague, or at least like "Love Happens."

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]