IMDb > Legion (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Legion

Legion More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The last 30 minutes undo the previous 70 minutes worth of good will.

Author: turkishjade from United States
23 January 2010

I wanted to like this film, the only problem is it has very large shoes to fill. The two films that come to mind, obviously, are "Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight" with Billy Zane (rated a 6.6/10 here) which tackled the whole "end of the world/standoff in diner/lone hero fighting alongside the little guys against a legion of bad guys" thing 10 times better and "The Prophecy" with Christopher Walken (also rated a 6.6/10 here) which tackled the whole "good angel versus bad angel/showdown on earth" thing 10 times better. Both came out in 1995 and while they didn't have the special effects that this one had, they had a cohesive story, GREAT acting and believable characters.

The internet is going to crucify this film, so I'm just going to break it down simply: The first hour or so is pretty good, and if it had stopped at the 70 minute mark, it could come close to the 6.x rating it's getting now. The last 30 minutes is a rushed, hatchet job that will make you regret seeing this film.

Also, SHAME on the editors of the film trailer for spoiling the two best scenes of the film (the old lady "reveal" and the ice cream man "reveal".) I hate when you do this. You stole all of the impact those scenes had and lowered my rating by a point.

Don't pay to see this film, rent "The Prophecy" and "Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight" instead.

A huge disappointment.

Author: juiceman10712 from Canada
23 January 2010

The overall premise of the film is a little silly yes, but it's incredibly original and it had so much potential.

The film suffers from a handful of serious flaws that ruin just about everything good that the film has going for it. The pacing is horrendous. The action scenes are few, far between and horribly rushed and the down time in between them slows to a crawl. This time is used for each of the uninteresting, two-dimensional characters to melodramatically shed out stories of their troubled pasts. We just don't care about ANY of them due to minuscule character development and a horrible script.

The whole film is terribly written with some questionable scenes that seemed to have been written only for the convenience of the characters. The plot is pretty simple but mostly unexplained and full of holes. SO much is left in the dark and the main point of the film isn't even explained so it's hard to care at all during the supposed dramatic moments.

Too much talking and not enough action for it to be a wicked B-movie and the overabundance of melodrama and terrible writing keep it from being a serious, dramatic epic.

There are slivers of a good film and some great ideas that occasionally appear and the few, brief action scenes are fairly entertaining, but everything else is so terribly executed that it isn't worth any kind of recommendation.

Awful, just plain awful

Author: monstar92 from United Kingdom
23 January 2010

Judging from the trailer this movie was supposed to be a whole lot of action while the talking takes a backseat, unfortunately the 30 second trailer contained all the action you are going to see over 100 minutes of the full movie.

The acting was entirely melodramatic while the script was TV level. Nothing was believable, far too often you found yourself watching these characters talk to each other, explaining their own background while you sit there realizing that you don't care at all. The character development was done so obviously that it made everything feel cheap.

Avoid this movie at all cost's, you'll have more fun reading a Bible than you would watching Legion.

Just plain bad

Author: torndownunit from Canada
26 January 2010

This movie just fails on every level.

I have seen some reviews/posts that claim people are 'missing the point' and that this is supposed to be a "B" movie in the vein of Evil Dead. Well, I love those type of movies and Legion does not compare to them, or appear that it attempted to be part of that genre in any way.

From an action movie standpoint, it basically lacks action. It has a few scenes I would categorize as 'decent'. The previews completely mislead viewers in this regard.

From a drama standpoint, the script is absolutely horrible. Even with good actors reading it, some of the dramatic parts drag on unbelievably. And there are just way too many of these parts for such a horrible script.

The plot and characters are underdeveloped, the acting is horrible, and the movie just drags on and on. I am hard pressed to find anything good to say about it other than that there are a few decent action scenes.

I know it's not the most 'wordy' review but it's really tough to say much else about this movie. It was the first time I have actually been angry at spending money in a theatre. I have never wrote a review on here, but the reviews for this movie are so completely misleading it motivated me to.

Either incomplete, or just plain lazy

Author: Lord_of_all_zombies from United States
12 February 2010

Sadly, Legion is a movie that one WANTS to enjoy... Unfortunately, there really is just nothing really "good" about this movie. The film doesn't particularly appeal to ANY group of movie-goers. The plot and character development wear very thin, so anyone watching the movie for a good story will be disappointed. Low-attention-spanned action-buffs will find dull, repetitive fights and action sequences. People looking for good, well-portrayed actors will find shoddy performances from almost every player in the movie.

Paul Bettany probably does the only DECENT performance in the film. I say decent, and not good, because that's all it really is. There is a SINGLE DECENT fight scene in the movie. Again, not good, only because of lazy choreography and being too short.

There is a lot of thought put into this film, it's fairly obvious. The problem is a lack of real determination from anyone in front of, or behind the camera. The film is overall, fairly forgettable.

A Late-January Misfire... What A Surprise...

Author: tj19 from United States
24 January 2010

Legion (2010) Directed by: Scott Stewart Starring: Paul Bettany, Lucas Black, Adrianne Palicki, Charles S. Dutton, Tyrese Gibson, Kevin Durand, and Dennis Quaid

When God loses faith in Mankind, Archangel Michael (Bettany) loses his faith in God. An out- of-the-way diner becomes an unlikely battleground for the survival of humankind as Michael and a group of strangers defend themselves against God's legion of angels. Michael must protect a mother (Palicki) and her baby, for it is the key to ending the Apocalypse. Let me start off by saying that Legion is not a good movie, however, it is not terrible by any means. Unlike recent biblical horrors (The Unborn comes to mind), Legion tries very hard not to follow the lame clichés of recent horrors; I always commend a film for trying to be good. Unfortunately, it takes itself a little to seriously with God's legion of zombies that are supposed to be possessed by angels. The film also was terribly written, ("What's your beef?" "Simmer down!" "Hold on white boy") with weird scenes that needed some serious editing. Besides the bad script and erratic editing, the acting was terrible. The only exceptions were Paul Bettany (who seemed to have flown into the wrong movie) and Lucas Black (Sling Blade, Friday Night Lights). Everyone else was uninspired and made the bad screenplay look much more terrible than it was. The action scenes are where this film soared. The fight between the two Archangels was incredible, and the visual effects were on par. Overall, Legion is a biblical Assault on Precinct 13. It lacks a good script, editing, cinematography, and acting. I commend it for trying to be less like recent horror films that really shouldn't even call themselves 'films". I think deep down, on the cutting room floor, there was something there, but we don't see it. Legion is by no means horrible, but I can't recommend it.

Rating: 5/10

A Nutshell Review: Legion

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
21 January 2010

The trailer had me thinking that this would be one heck of a slice and dice fest in the same vein as Feast or even The Mist, with a group of rag tag survivors being huddled together in a diner / supermarket, and the fight for survival against invading monsters of all shapes, sizes and surprises. The latter film also had a bible-thumper, and religion forms the basis of the premise here, when you see how it all becomes a modern day re-imagining of the tale of Mary, Joseph, and the prophetic messiah baby.

That's just my angle at making sense of the flimsy plot which didn't develop properly, despite ample time in the first half that had characters talking, rationalizing and reflecting on just what their predicament is, and how senseless it all seemed, at the expense of action sequences that undeniably got better as the film wore on. Amongst the action offered that I've not seen before involved the angel Gabriel (last done androgynously by Tilda Swinton in Constantine), which brings to mind just how angels would be clad for battle, with armour, close combat weapon with frills, and those metallic wings used both defensively and offensively in quite elegant ways as shield and blade combined in one sweeping motion. Not to forget, flight too.

Unfortunaately there are a number of close references to other films, most notably the Terminator movies and the Matrix combined for certain scenes that looked way too familiar. The beginning already had Terminator like arrival of the angel Michael (Paul Bettany) to our world, earmarked for destruction by God because he was losing faith in the bullshit of mankind. He's not following his book of Revelations though, as he sends his angelic force to earth mimicking how Terminator robots get sent back in time. Or the severe warping of the human face to indicate possession by a higher, in this case, spiritual force.

Basically, the world is God's matrix, and the angels being his agents sent to stop and destroy the birth of the prophetic Neo, who is but an unborn child in Charlie (Adrianne Palicki), an unwed mom who's waitressing at a diner out of nowhere aptly titled Paradise Falls, run by the estranged father and son team of Bob (Dennis Quaid) and Jeep Hanson (Lucas Black from Fast and Furious 3), who get thrown into the thick of the action together with the rest of their diner crew and customers, which can be easily read as fodder for the apocalypse, which came in the form of a spider granny, ice cream man and the likes.

For the film to work, you have to buy into its reasoning that God has decided to end the world through an unfair battle using his angels against humans, and the absence of the Devil whom a friend thought would actually either rejoice, or would have gathered new followers with the exodus of human souls now being abandoned by the holy one. If you don't subscribe to this premise, then everything will not hold water, and it'll become just another mindless action flick that flits from one sequence to another.

And let me know if you don't agree that the baby is the messiah (if I wanted to go one step further it could even be the second coming), since every angel bowed their heads in reverence, and stopped dead in their tracks. It wasn't explained why the baby held the key to the salvation of mankind, so that's my speculation. After all, Michael the angel did find it worthwhile to switch sides in order to find some glimmer of hope amongst mankind to change his master's mind.

Legion had an interesting potential but ultimately got let down by its half-baked plot development and references so close you'd think it was The Matrix or The Terminator. It got played out too seriously for its good, though with room given for a sequel if one ever gets made given the way it ended (really like The Terminator again), and this time maybe with room to deal with the demons now that angels are likely out of the way.

Author: shawn savage from United States
22 January 2010

If Feast, and Splinter have shown us anything, is that sometimes the claustrophobic feeling of a close quarters set can almost be an extra character in the film. Legion went for this, but failed. After seeing the trailers, I was hoping Legion would kickstart 2010's horror'ish lineup into full gear. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Legion is the holy roller's rendition of "The Terminator" mixing elements of classics from almost every genre of film. Sometimes, a film can pay homage to cult classics, and give birth to an all new sub-genre. Legion is more like an abortion than a birth.

Cheesy dialog during forced character background scenes fill up 3/4ths of the film. The action scenes are few and far between, and what little we are given, is very anti-climactic. From the trailer, we were all but promised plenty of zombie-like scenes of innocent people being possessed by angelic forces to facilitate the extermination of the human race. If this is what you're expecting.. don't. 90% of the "cool" scenes of possession are shown in the trailer, the rest are pretty much forgettable.

Having not seen "Daybreakers" yet, so far my 2010 has begun with a dud. Legion is insulting to the viewers intelligence. Save the cash, and wait for this turd to show up late night on the syfy channel.

All Heaven Breaks Loose!

Author: LawrenceOfAlabama (LawrenceOfAlabama@Gmail.com) from Birmingham Al
24 January 2010

I saw the film last night. It started out like a typical "Survival Horror" film. A group of different people. A mysterious stranger rolls into town. All Hell (excuse me...HEAVEN) breaks loose. Then just as soon as the film got going, someone stabbed a pitchfork in it and turned it over. It totally changed gears.

Once the film first set-piece ended it turned into a slower version of Night of the Living Dead. This is largely due to a plot point that set this rule into action: God put a restraining order on all ZombAngels. They were not allowed to get too close to the main protagonist. So without giving anything away; you can now imagine the pacing of the film up to the climax. Slow and uneventful.

The acting was a caliber above most Horror films. Quaid, Black, and Bettany were all fine. However none were memorable. Even the two main Godsends, Gabriel and Michael, managed to have conflict that was forgotten seconds after the next scene started.

So I would say it's a "Catch on Cable" viewing. Unless you're a huge Bettany fan. Then I would say avoid this like the plague.

Neat concept not very well done

Author: Quebec_Dragon from Canada
5 February 2010

Legion is about the apocalypse and one fallen angel who tries to save the last hope for humanity. With such a high concept, it's weird how it's actually taking place in a rather constrained space : a truck diner lost in an American desert. My first impression was that the special effects looked cheap (witness the first human transformation and the way "it" talks while barely moving its mouth). It's an impression that stayed with me throughout until perhaps the final antagonist. My second impression was that the acting wasn't that bad. I didn't recognize the actor playing the main angel character (Paul Bettany) until the day after while reading the credits. He's not one we usually see as an action hero in this kind of flick but he gave a decent performance as the strong stoic type. I also remembered Lucas Black (playing Jeep : what a lousy character's name) from the time he was a talented child actor. He still is. We also have the ever reliable Dennis Quaid in a supernatural thriller yet again.

My third impression was that the little old lady (seen in previews) reminded me of the crazy old gypsy woman from "Drag me to Hell". It's no wonder she's shown in previews, it's one of the best moments. However it spoils the surprise. My fourth impression was that following the granny, the "possessed" people were rather slow, stupid and not particularly menacing, very much like zombies even though they were not. My fifth impression was that at least the filmmakers were trying to achieve character moments instead of tiring us out with incessant action. My sixth impression ,after the film, was that considering the origin of the possessed humans and the objective desired, it was really ridiculous and unbelievable to proceed that way especially considering the supposedly superior intelligence at work. My last impression is that although it's certainly watchable as a distraction, it's not really effective or a particularly good film in the genre despite the "angels", seldom seen in features these days. Don't watch "Legion" expecting a big-budget epic fantasy, it's more like an intimate, closed space, last stand b-movie thriller without that many thrills.

Rating: 5 out of 10 for mediocre

P.S. Don't watch it expecting a "legion" of "angels" either. You would be disappointed.

Page 1 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]