Le bal des actrices (2009)
Clint Eastwood's "Gran Torino" was named best foreign film of the year, beating out last year's Oscar winner "Slumdog Millionaire" and this year's blue contender, "Avatar."
Meanwhile, "Avatar's" Sigourney Weaver presented Harrison Ford with a Cesar of Honor award. Aw...
Here's the list of nominees and winners of the 35th annual Cesar Awards (winners are highlighted):
A l.Origine, Xavier Giannoli
Le Concert, Radu Mihaileanu
Les Herbes Folles, Alain Resnais
La Journee de la Jupe, Jean-Paul Lilienfeld
Rapt, Lucas Belvaux
Un Prophete, Jacques Audiard
Welcome, Philippe Lioret
#10: Inglourious Basterds
I certainly didn't put it there because of the quality of its script. In fact, I found it as simple as - minus the violence - a comic book for children (the fight of the good against the evil). However, let's render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's: Christopher Waltz, Mélanie Laurent and Brad Pitt rock!
#9: In the Loop
What happens when you give a comedy to an aficionado of politics like me? You get an aficionado of politics who wish he did In the Loop, despite its few flaws, in order to laugh at politicians regardless of their nationalities.
A female movie director (Maïwenn Le Besco) is making a documentary about what it means to be an actress in France with an Hdv camera. In the process, Maïwenn conducts interviews actresses that are either well-known, more or less known and unknown.
Mélanie Doutey, a blockbuster actress, receives a lot of script to read, clothes/jewels from fashion companies (ex: Chanel) to wear at big-shot events and deals from magazines that want to put her face (note from the editor: and what a lovely one!) on their cover.
Best film of 2009:
* Un prophète, by Jacques Audiard.
* Welcome, by Philippe Lioret.
* Oss 117: Rio ne répond plus, by Michel Hazanavicius.
* Le concert, by Radu Mihaileanu.
* À l'origine, by Xavier Giannoli.
Best actress of 2009
* Isabelle Adjani in La journée de la jupe.
* Chiara Mastroianni in "Non ma fille, tu n'iras pas danser".
* Kristin Scott Thomas in Partir.
* Marie-Josée Croze in Je l'aimais.
* Maïwenn Le Besco in Le bal des actrices.
Best actor of 2009
* Vincent Lindon in Welcome.
* Tahar Rahim in Un prophète.
* Yvan Attal in Partir.
* Jean Dujardin in Oss 117: Rio ne répond plus.
* François Cluzet in À l'origine.