IMDb > Iron Sky (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Funny and different

Author: Rune Hagen from Kongsberg, Norway
3 March 2012

I saw the film yesterday in Oslo and I must say I thought it was exhilarating, fresh and different. It's also one of those films that you either love or hate, I do not think it is one that you can be indifferent to.

The German language adds a nice touch, and the way it is used helps a lot with creating a believable atmosphere to some scenes. The actors are doing a good job of portraying the stereotypes that they need in order for the humor to work. The humor is pleasantly free from political correctness. And there are many nice references throughout the film, so if you have been living in a cave (or on the moon) for the last seventy years, I doubt you will find it as funny as I personally did.

The CGI is stunning when at it's best. It is not perfect everywhere, but all in all it is quite convincing. The style can best be described as toned down and with natural colors that work very well for this film.

The story is funny if you let it stand on it's own and accept it for what it is. Let yourself be entertained. I am sure that if you have a very critical mindset when going to see this film you will probably find something to pick on. Things could probably be a bit better and more consistent in a + $100M film, but I do not think we would see this expressive freedom in a + $100M film...

The soundtrack was also well thought of and added the needed atmosphere trough the whole film. Not one tune seemed misplaced and I thought it was very impressive.

I liked Iron Sky a lot, and I would recommend it in a heartbeat. I believe this film has the potential to be the cult film of the year. And I think it will do well for itself on cinemas around the world.

Excellent effort, worthy of viewing

Author: jf-47 from Berlin
14 February 2012

Saw this movie the 62nd Berlinale (Berlin Film Festival). Recommend its worth your time given a few caveats.

Lots of things to like about Timo's sophomore effort here. The movie is intentionally campy and plays to a number of eccentric stereotypes. Albeit, it feels very much a European view of some of the US eccentricities. The script was, by and large, well developed, the humor a little cheesy at times but generally spot on and large kudos should be paid to the FX, CGI teams for some outstanding segments in a sub $10M budgeted movie. The best parts include some great inside jokes specific to Americans and Germans, wonderful stereotyping of international ethnicities/prejudices, great attention to detail in costumes, sets, current culture trends and some above average acting by Julia Dietze, Goetze Otto and, of course, the wonderful Udo Kier. Oh, and the Laibach score for the movie was simply superb.

My caveats are that the cut I saw could have used slightly more surgical editing. Also, while I think Christopher Kirby has played well in other movies, I felt disappointed by this casting choice, as his role was central to the story line and the least "even" in terms of performance. Finally, it is intentional camp so expectations should be adjusted prior to entering the theater. I'm not sure the Mystery Science Theater guys could have come up with better lines than some that were already in the script of this movie.

In the end this felt much more thought out and a real "labor of love" than the traditional camp of Scary Movie, et al. This movie certainly has all the right elements of an instant cult classic. Putting it more simply, its about Nazis, living in a swastika shaped Moon base, trying to re-invade Earth!

My sincere thanks to the Iron Sky community for pulling the resources together to get this film made. For $7.5M I'd say, job very well done! This is probably, or usually, a ~7 IMDb score for this kind of a movie. I'm giving it 8 to balance out the previous reviewer.

Classic B-Movie

Author: slayerjmk95 from United States
21 February 2012

Out of all the films being released in 2012, Iron Sky is, without a doubt, one of the most fun films to be a part of the list. When Nazis build a giant space station on the Moon after the final days of World War II, they await for the day when the Fourth Reich can return to Earth and try to conquer it again.

Yes, it does seem a bit pro-Nazi, but when you watch the film it really isn't; if anything, it does the greatest job at making fun of Nazis. I've never had a more hysterical and enjoyable ride with a movie since Super 8. The script is absolutely cheesy, the visual effects are astonishing, and the action is non-stop. There isn't much to say about the film besides the fact that it's a strange yet entertaining time at the movies and you're sure to not forget it because, even though some people will hate it and others will like it, the story is just so random you can't not remember it. Definitely one to check out for yourself, but just a heads-up for everyone; there's NOTHING realistic about the film. That's another reason why it's really fun.

8.5/10 Stars***

Laughing my way through

Author: Michael from Netherlands
4 April 2012

I watched this at a Munich cinema (Munich is where Hitler actually started the Nazi movement) in original English version with a crowd of mostly Germans. The audience was laughing their way through the entire movie, with several long applauds.

I loved this movie for three reasons: the political mocking of the US, the CGI and the references to other movies. Some may find it a camp movie, but this did not distract from the storyline. The scrip hast enough depth to make you wish they had added another 20 minutes of footage.

The beginning and middle part were great, although I found the ending a bit anti-climactic. The ending does follow upon the outcome of events, unlike many Hollywood movies it doesn't have absurd twists.

Some of the acting was below standards. But it's a refreshing movie to see. It shows that a new era of independent movies has come about: Hollywood budgets no longer compete with original ideas. It will pose a problem to Hollywood (and America too), because people like myself are fed up with the same one-sided world-view we've been watching for decades now.

A Political - space fight - satire - Nazi - butt kicking.

Author: Sami Laulajainen from Finland
29 March 2012

OVERALL: The trailers say it all: Let's kick some Nazi butt! And this the film delivers with Hollywood quality effects. This alone put me into position that I was willing to buy a support ticket to the premiere. And it was worth it. Only reason it doesn't get 10/10 is the length. 1 hours 26 minutes just got me going and wanting for more.

VISUALS: Vuorensola himself says it's an effect movie, so lets start there. If the idea of Nazis on the moon won't blow you away, the visuals will. Green screen acting, level of details in the CGI, rendering, background vs. foreground lightning, CGI vs. actors interacting are all there. Nothing seems out of place so the illusion of being there on the flight deck fighting against the Nazi remains trough out the film. Endless debate will go on about the physics of some scenes but it's detail and doesn't kill the scene. Besides there are Nazis on the moon who fly helium3 powered fusion reactors. Frak physics and enjoy the space battle ride that Torssonen and his crew puts up.

POLITICS: This one was not in the trailer but can't be avoided: The criticism against Nazi ideology. The film manages to be more than just bad Nazi - good American. So much more. The film raises the long forgotten question of science fiction : "Who are the bad guys? What's happening now or in the future?" I have seen too many (mostly Hollywood) Sci Fi films that can't raise a single question about our society or the heading we are taking it. Films that only show you group A fighting with group B. I had my doubts about Mr. Vuorensola and his team, but they delivered. This is one of the reason I was sad to see the credits roll: There were so many questions and answers to be found. Of course you can't put them all in the same movie, so I'm eager to see the team's next film.

Iron Sky is a shiny mirror that challenges the western civilization to look at their own problems of today. It's not pointing towards Germany alone but takes aim at the rise of radical right throughout the world and reminds us that in 2018 there might be "nazis" among us. Weather they come from the dark side of the moon or too much power is given to radical groups is up to us to decide. And that time is now. Just like Dr. Strangelove, among others, reminded us about the horrors of nuclear war that almost took place from Cuba. Iron Sky manages to be a Sci Fi beacon and ask the mother of all questions : "What If".

Most of all the main political theme of Iron Sky is weather the power should be given to those who seek and want it or to those who don't.

SATIRE: Is it funny? Oh yeah, if you can laugh at your own society. Iron Sky toys with the political issues and curiosities of human nature and does it well. Visual gags work too. At least they worked for me. There are puns for many nations, genders and ages. You don't even have to be orientated in Sci Fi to enjoy this film.

WOMEN: Iron Sky continues the traditions of Alien saga, Startrek Voyager and many more to put strong women in strong roles. This gives new opportunities to view the themes of the film.

CONCLUSION: Iron Sky stands tall and without shame against any Hollywood monster that costs 20-40 times more and manages to deliver 20-40 times more film than some of the Hollywood monsters. The essence of film makers idea to have fun is still there to be seen and it captures the audience that helped to create and fund the film. Iron Sky sets a milestone in the creation process of this film and for that alone it will be quoted many times in the future. I highly recommend for you to see the film.

Sami, a wrecker.

Yes We Can!

Author: ttapola from Finland
16 March 2012

"Anyone familiar with Star Wreck?" director Timo Vuorensola asked today on an 'Iron Sky on Tour' screening. What seemed like everyone in the sold-out screening raised their hands.

"Anyone familiar with Moon Nazis?" he then asked. Somewhere in the back, someone raised their hand.

"You know, we did a survey and there *actually* are people in the real world who do believe there are Nazis on the dark side of the Moon. Oh, and the genre of this movie is Diesel-punk." (This from my memory - and translated into English.)

With this in mind, you know this movie is comparable to the immortal Airplane! and the best of the Python movies. Except that with barely 7.5M euros, the filmmakers have created a movie that contains, as the director explained, about as much CGI shots as Transformers: Dark of the Moon (now *that* reference must be very intentional as this is definitely the better movie) and looks about as good as a 2D version of that movie.

So, the camp humor may not be to some people's liking, but if you like camp, this is a nearly-perfect sci-fi specimen of the genre. In all categories of movie-making from script to screen, this is a triumph. Only nitpicks would complain. It's so hilarious, the audience roared in laughter throughout and even applauded in the middle of the movie. No one did that in a screening of Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

Not only "may" this be the cult hit of the year, it would be *very* surprising if the rest of the year brought along a bigger cult hit. This is a 9/10. Miss this at your peril. Or if you just lack a sense of humour and/or hate non-serious sci-fi.

Surprising

Author: petri puolakka from Finland
20 March 2012

Special FX, camp humor, Nazis, Star Wreck goofiness, fan funding and the genre background all have been major selling points for Iron Sky, and I have to say I was filled with doubt and skepticism walking into the theater. Because, you know, those selling points usually produce a passable having-a-laf-wid-geezers-over-a-beer-or-dozen-watching-a-turkey experience, but not a good movie.

But this film was something altogether different! This is a real movie! It has a story! That is filled with cutting satire! It tells us something about our world more than from the imagined world of the story. So I'll join others in placing this film in the near vicinity of Dr. Strangelove, where it belongs. This film too is saying: "This is us. Fear us. And by the way, you are us too."

I think that the part about Nazis is not where this film will get most of its flak. (Remember, they sold this to Israel too, that should tell you something about the way the Nazis are treated.) Rather it is the target of the satire that will yelp the loudest. Once this is more widely shown to the masses, I'll except to see some amusingly furious hate for Iron Sky.

Iron Sky is a fun little Sci-fi movie. Watch it, if only for the sake of curiosity

Author: WhatPayne from Finland
4 April 2012

I saw the Iron Sky recently in a preview screening. And, I quite liked it.

For those that do not know, Iron Sky is a Sci-fi action comedy from a team of Finnish "independent" film makers lead by Timo Vuorensola as the director. Iron Sky tells a story about 'freaking space Nazis from the dark side of the moon coming back to earth'.

For what it is, the movie works fine. It's not a masterpiece of dramatic cinematic flavor on line with Citizen Kane or Pianist with some deep philosophical dialog. No, its more in the line of campy Nazisploitation and over-the top action, as one would come to expect. And as one would expect, the movie is absolutely ridiculous. It has its many fun moments and true laugh out loud scenes, specially made for those viewers who are into internet/computer/pop culture related stuff, which presence makes sense considering the guys who made this film are "self taught" young film makers who basically 'grew up' making movies of their own, and are the children of the Internets.

Iron Sky has a really good cast who deliver consistently strong performance throughout the film. With Udo Kier being my absolute favorite who sadly goes somewhat underused with his too old to care and strictly for business Nazi führer of the moon guy... (Oh well, I still have him as the Yuri in Red Alert 2.) Weirdly, Götz Otto being the go-to baddie of the movie, delivers somewhat dry and unnoteworthy performance. And I think it felt this way was because there was a subtlety in his acting which sadly vanishes under rest of the silliness in the film.

Now as expected from the guys who previously did the Star Wrek comedy films, they made absolutely brilliant CGI effects for Iron Sky. I rarely could tell which stuff were done with practical effects and which were done with CGI, which is a very good thing. There are many moments which I knew were definitely done with computers, but still were a blast to watch. Nothing there is jarring or unnecessary feeling, like in majority of the other CGI motion pictures of today.

Now there are some few shortcomings in the film of course, few minor stuff here and there, but also one bigger aspect that was quite difficult to overlook. And that is that the Iron Sky skips around, a lot. It felt like there were tons of shots missing from between the key scenes. You'll watch the characters do something and have it immediately cut to a later moment in time, or to a completely different scene all together. The movie leaves a lot for the viewers to fill in. That was not too difficult for me one I adjusted. It's a bit distracting, yes. But if you manage to push it past, you'll find interesting plot unfolding. Now while I had no difficulties following the movie, I can also see someone used to the regular Hollywood "tell it to the audience" type movies being lost with this film. While the important scenes needed for the plot are still very much present, the sudden jumps might leave the viewer lagging behind, you might get some whiplashes watching this film.

However, there is a very understandable excuse for that, which the director himself told us in the theater on the Q&A session after the film. And it's that way because they had to cut stuff from the script as they simply had no money to realistically do most of them. Iron Sky had a budget of only of 7 million Euros, which compared to other proper big movies, is nothing. They said that every scene they did had to be done in the way of "we'll shoot this if we get the money to do it". And considering that, it's amazing they managed as much as they did.

Iron Sky is a fun little movie that definitely differs from your average schlock. I'd recommend to watch it, if only for the sake of curiosity. (And ridiculous Nazis.)

And what about the the ending? Who wins? Oh, you'll have to watch the movie to find out. You might get a surprise. It might make you stop and think... I know it made me.

In a word, "Meh".

Author: evan_harvey from Australia
11 May 2012

Just saw it, and am still astounded at the incompetence of the writers of this film. How could you take such a great idea like moon Nazis and then create a film so excruciatingly dull? There were about 3-4 genuinely funny moments (and admittedly they were very good), but overall it sucked like a brand new vacuum cleaner. I have never before wanted a film to end as much as I did while watching Iron Sky. It didn't help that there was a pack of fat unwashed nerds behind us wetting themselves at everything, even if it wasn't a joke, but the content on-screen was so lame.

The core idea (which I assume is what got the film financed because the investors clearly didn't read the script) is excellent. Moon Nazis. How much better could it get than that? There were so many possibilities. How did it all go so horribly wrong? **spoilers** Firstly, the story contained too much unnecessary plot: the 2nd-in-charge moon Nazi wants to overthrow the head moon Nazi or some such. Completely unnecessary, chewed up valuable time, and had no jokes. Next, the Prez of the USA wants to get re-elected, and decides to co-opt some of the moon Nazis for her campaign. Apart from being (again) unnecessary, it missed SO many golden opportunities. Why would the US adopt Nazi Germany-style clothing and posters? It didn't make sense, and I was almost crying at the buckets of wasted potential.

Secondly, the dialogue was terrible. Again, so many wasted opportunities. Very few jokes.

The CGI is excellent. Lots of green screen use, but done really well. Unfortunately, they spent all their money on the SFX and couldn't get decent actors, and it showed. None of the acting is bad enough to be good; it's just really, really dull.

The film is clearly aimed at the "so-bad-it's-good" crowd, but films in that genre/category actually have jokes in them. Sure, the jokes make you wince and are painfully lame, but that's the point. However Iron Sky was devoid of jokes (or even one-liners) for the most part, and that's it's fatal flaw. There was no bad acting, just dull acting. There were no lame jokes. The writer's clearly hoped that the quality of the moon Nazi idea would carry the poor script, but it just sinks like lead under it's own weight.

IMDb's score of 7.3 (at time of writing) is a complete lie. I can only assume that the cast and crew are trying to hype it up, because it's not worth more than 4. And I'm only giving it 4 because of the 4 funny moments.

In a word, "Meh".

Great sci-fi comedy about Nazis from the moon

Author: jpkwolf from Finland
4 April 2012

I have followed Iron Sky since the very beginning. I loved director Timo Vuorensola's first movie Star Wreck. It was camp, funny and the space battles were epic and the story was enjoyable. So I was expecting something similar but slightly better with a bigger budget from Iron Sky.

First I have to say that the comedy and story don't disappoint. They far exceeded my expectations. The comedy is some of the best I've seen in ages and there are references to old movies (Chaplin's Dictator and Dr. Strange Love to say a few) and modern pop culture/internet culture. Where critics and internet age teens and young adults should notice different parts where to laugh. If you know both the movie becomes obviously even better.

The story of the movie has been criticized but I personally think the flow of the story and plot is perfect. I was highly entertained by the story and expected the movie to continue at least 30 minutes more when the storyline was getting close to it's end. That said because of Star Wreck I was expecting to see even more space battles. I would have loved that but I know most movie critics and some of the viewers wouldn't have liked that. The story also criticizes cleverly the American government and their politics. This very relevant point is completely missed by most critics who just ignore the movie as cheap slapstick comedy. The slapstick comedy (which is very minimal) is the worst part of the film..

This movie seems to get some fairly good reviews but doesn't seem to get the praise it truly deserves. It was made with only 7,5 million and mostly looks like a top class Hollywood production. Finland has been known from small budget dramas aimed at Finnish people which have been going through the same tired pattern for many years. There have been few more or less successful horror movies like Sauna to break the norm but nothing as incredible as Iron Sky. Hopefully Iron Sky will encourage more visionary directors and film makers to create something new. With movies like this directors and other talent pave their way to Hollywood.

Page 1 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]