IMDb > "Britain's Got Talent" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Britain's Got Talent" More at IMDbPro »

A must-watch for the 21st century sociopath

Author: Jason Evans from United Kingdom
28 April 2012

Like most people, I get immense pleasure from seeing a child cry. Oh, how I love to watch the tears roll down their little faces! I also love seeing the mentally ill being publicly humiliated - well, who doesn't? Unfortunately, it has become less and less acceptable to seek out and publicly mock infants and the disabled.

Thank God for Britain's Got Talent! Finally, we are free to laugh at the disadvantaged without being shunned by our peers. I literally cannot think of a better Saturday night's television than watching a quartet of millionaires sat behind a desk sneering at the disillusioned, disadvantaged and disturbed. Each episode allows you to cackle with glee as a stream of human beings' hopes and dreams are destroyed in front of the entire nation - what could be more heart-warming than that?

The judges are what really make the show what it is - after all, who could possibly be a better judge of "talent" than Amanda Holden? Her role in that programme about hairdressers is widely regarded as the greatest character portrayal of all time. Presumably the sheer strength of this performance is why we've not seen her act in anything since then.

Simon Cowell is brilliant. I love the way he sneers at the inept auditionees for "wasting his time" - how dare they? I mean, it's not like he gets paid millions for his appearance on the show! And the contestants certainly aren't pre-screened by producers before they're sent out onto the stage!

The star-power of the judging panel has really been upped this year, however, with the addition of Alesha Dixon. Yes, the greatest female artist of the millennium - I'm sure we all remember her smash-hit single "Knockdown" which reached the dizzying heights of number 45 in the UK charts.

Britain's Got Talent does an amazing job of bringing the Victorian 'freak show' concept into the 21st century, and the culture of the UK is truly richer now that we can take pleasure from the humiliation of strangers from the comfort of our own living rooms!

Britain's Got Talent ? I Beg To Differ

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
30 May 2009

It's impossible to pick up a British tabloid without reading about the newest media star created by this show . I decided to ignore it since it's lumpen nonsense . The panel itself was enough to give the show a miss

Piers Morgan . A former Fleet Street editor of a rag called The Daily Mirror . Morgan's main claim to fame is that he published obviously faked pictures of soldiers " torturing " suspects at a Basra army base . Anywhere else in the world this would have led to him facing charges of treason but after being sacked by the paper his career really took off in a big way . Only in Britain

Amanda Holden . An actress who is famous for being Amanda Holden , which tells you how well she's made a career out of being an actress

Simon Cowell . Okay fair enough

The word talent is very vague . On Britain's Got Talent it seems " talent " is a euphemism of " gimmick " . You got a family pet that can tap dance then have a go on this show . If you're a talented human being who can play an invisible musical instrument or juggle wheelbarrows then audition and you'll be chosen for the semi finals . If you're even less talented than your peers then don't worry because " talent " can be an euphemism for " sob story victim "

Actually this is why the show is so objectionable - it's highly manipulative . Someone comes on and says they've had a close family relative die recently , or they've reached middle age without receiving a french kiss and everyone will fall over themselves to improve the victim's life . Perhaps the worst personification of this was ten year old Hollie Steel bursting in to tears and being told by the producers she's blown her chance . Cue more banshee like wailing from young Hollie that led to Simon saying " I don't know how but we'll find time to give you a second chance . I can see young Hollie having a career as an actress since talent or a lack of it has never stopped Amanda Holden being famous

But this show has nothing to do with anything resembling talent does it ?

What a load of crap.

Author: Blueghost from The San Francisco Bay Area
16 September 2013

I can barely stomach the American version, so I thought I'd check out its progenitor to see if they did things better or with more panache across the Atlantic.

Well, no.

It's the fact that I recognized several actors that appear on imported British shows here in the U.S. that made me laugh and then want to kick the messenger that was my TV for another trash ridden pre-staged show.

Don't believe me? The most glaring example was an actor from Doctor Who whom I saw more than a few days before doing his dance routine on this show, Britain's Got Talent.

Another glaring example was the fat kid and the good looking girl, and, shock of shocks, the fat kid decided not to let his less talented partner go, garnishing much applause from the talent (he said sarcastically).

I'd estimate roughly over half of this show is staged, with the rest being one-shot acts of people who are good at doing one thing, and nothing more, then get their "big shot" on stage, and move on afterwards.

What's worse is that people, apparently mostly girls, eat up this junk. Well, it's far too late for me to warn folks not to watch it, but, on the one in a million chance you haven't seen it, and have stumbled upon my review, do yourself a favor and avoid this thing. OR, if you need a good laugh, then tune in for an episode or two, smirk, then change the channel.

Either way, watch at your own risk.

Entertaining show but too manipulated to be trusted

Author: benjamin-twist from United Kingdom
29 May 2016

I liked BGT in the early days but the show has become too manipulated in recent years. Now we not only have footage of the acts supposedly waiting to be auditioned by Simon and the other judges (even though they're actually being auditioned by anonymous staff on earlier dates) we also have footage of acts making their way to the audition, after the audition where hug their family/friends and most perversely miked up members of the audience who make inane or obvious comments about the acts performing (while other pull stupid faces in response to bad/weird acts, not realising they look equally stupid themselves).

Added to this the fact that a lot of the acts are not British and a lot are professional or have entered and won talent shows elsewhere leaves the traditional meaning Talent Show a bit meaningless. In other words BGT so manipulated and dubious you stop believing its real and start thinking its one big con and you're in danger of falling for it.

It's interesting that some of the acts who won (or came close) in previous years including the first winner Paul Potts, Susan Boyle and the 2015 series winner didn't appear at the 2016 ten year final celebrations (go figure).

Talking of which, Richard Jones, the winner of the 2016 final was a very unworthy winner. Not because he stole his tricks - a lot of magicians borrow from the past - but because he didn't perform them well. A lot of the time you can see exactly how he did them (and he made some unforgivable mistakes when he did the trick on This Morning), close up magic is a bad choice for large arenas (relies too much on cameras which is never good) but mainly because he's so bloody boring. The guy has no real presentation style, no clever or funny patter and most importantly ZERO charisma. He's just a tall soldier. End of.

I could just about forgive all that but that crock of rubbish he served up as magic in the final was truly pathetic. A child could have done that routine with the same result. There was just one simple card trick involved which has nothing to do with what he was talking about, and then he brings on the veteran soldier alongside some more of his army mates. When Jules O'Dwyer bought on an extra dog in the previous years final she got criticised. This guy brings on half a dozen extra people with no comment The whole thing's a stitch up. Let the soldier win. Let's be patriotic. Fine but it has nothing to do with magic. But that's BGT in a nutshell, it has little to do with real talent but a lot to do with what they want us to see and what Simon Cowell can get out of it.

Another car crash programme to avoid.....

Author: Irishmoviereviewer from Ireland
1 April 2016

Seriously I just don't see the point of this show? It's so much like the "X Factor", you do the amount of performances on the show, you win and never heard of again. It's like a complete joke!

Even though, Susan Boyle was absolutely fantastic during her time on this but really, where is she now? I'm like, what is the point coming on the show and not been heard of again?! Everything on the show seems to 'try' in making this programme more interesting because you get to see varieties of people showing off their talents, at the end of the day, it's utter rubbish and a complete sham.

Like X Factor and among those other shows that Simon Cowell puts on, needs to be taken off on television. It's just too pointless to watch!

more talent than the judges

Author: marie d from France
24 May 2012

There are some fabulous performers in Britain' Got Talent every year. This year there have been some excellent singers, an amazing water acrobatics group which should have won and gone on to the Royal Variety Show.

There are some odd performers: a German 'plumber' had an act of throwing sink plungers at the backs of muscular men to make them stick. Accompanied with a running commentary in German which was entertaining for its humorous delivery.

Famous outcomes of this show have been Susan Boyle and Paul Potts. And that shows the ignorance of the judges. The panel are philistines most of the time. Susan can sing well but she's not the outstanding singer that all the applause and record sales would suggest. The surprise that her voice is good coming from someone who is unglamorous gave her the fame and winning on the show. Her voice is good enough for a career but there are far better singers who would have beaten her on vocal ability.

The judges pushed her forward because of the contrast of her voice with her appearance. The likes of Amanda Holden are not experienced casting directors. With the exception of Simon Cowell none of the judges has any experience promoting or producing a new act. The panel consist of whatever well known faces are available this year.

A panel of experts who can assess acts abilities and help them develop would be better but they would be unknown and the show panders to the audiences need for identifiable faces.

Consequently many real talents and years of practice either don't apply or are rejected because the judges are easily impressed by a nice sounding but only of average quality for professional standards.

To confirm my opinion a dog won and beat the water acrobatics, musicians, dancers and singers. That says it all.

Very addictive

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
22 September 2009

Britain's Got Talent is an entertaining talent show, that is very addictive to watch. It is true though that some of the people who went on the show were laughable like the singing saxophone(Simon summed it up perfectly when comparing it to a baby crying), though in the recent series there have been revelations like Diversity, Susan Boyle and I am probably the only one who was very surprised by Hollie Steele, despite her meltdown in the semi final. Ant and Dec are very entertaining presenters too, not annoying, actually funny mostly. The judges are fine, Piers has said a number of very unfair things in the past, and there have been a number of times when I have disagreed with his decision-making. Amanda Holden, I know is an actress, but she is very beautiful and encouraging, so I don't mind her. Simon seems a lot less critical than he is on the X Factor, yes he has said some nasty things, but he does tell the truth(well most of the time) but sometimes doesn't put it in the right way. Britain's Got Talent is very entertaining, especially in the audition weeks, and fun to watch, but I'd rather watch it on my television than participate on it. 7/10 Bethany Cox

Quite an interesting show

Author: Simon Rodgers from England, United Kingdom
13 August 2012

It is interesting to see people from all over the country showing what they can do, some of them are quite good, some of them are just plain stupid.

It's a little bit funny how some people are discussing their talent with Ant and Dec or just to the camera and explaining how they feel gifted and how they have been doing their talent, etc then they come on and they're just utter rubbish. Come on now, being rubbish is one thing, but trying to make yourself look better before you've even started is just plain silly.

There was that impressionist who tried imitating Tony Blair, William Hague and David Blunkett and he was really bad. He did William Hague just about okay, but he could not do the others to save his life.

I think most of the time the judges are right in their decisions, however when they complain that the act they see is quite limited, why don't they say yes, but ask for more variety in the next round? If they can offer it they can get further, if not, they're out. That's fair isn't it? Don't get me wrong, sometimes the judges are a bit too smug and smart for their own good.

Sometimes I wonder if they should leave out singing as a talent, otherwise it could just out as another X-factor.

I think they should show more auditions on TV, because its either entertaining if they are good, funny if they're not. Either way, viewers can't lose.

I think they should also show a repeat late at night, with no censorship. There was a dancer who was quickly buzzed out and Simon Cowell told him that he was just useless and he shouted a few swears, which were bleeped out obviously, and ran off, before the judges had even had a vote. Wouldn't it have been interesting to hear what he said?

All in all, too many talents to mention here. Kate and her dog Gin were quite good and yes Kate did actually train her dog and stuff beforehand. If may look like she didn't do much but most of her work was behind the scenes. Like the conductor of an orchestra.

Quite a good show.

Currently at it's best!!!

Author: Liam de Gruchy from United Kingdom
22 May 2011

With Peirs Morgan gone and Simon not in the auditions due to ditching us for the US, Britains Got Talent is unarguably better than ever. New judge Michael McIyntre brings character and humour to the judging panel (much needed), and world sensation David Hasslehoff is just brilliant in portraying his role to find new talent for the Queen and the World! Old time favourite judge Amanda Holden remains with a some might say annoying sense to her but we love her anyway.

What I would criticise though is the lack of wow factor in the auditionees, no one has really stood as a potential world Star but let's just see to the Semi finals!!! Ant and Dec never fail to make audiences up and down the country and didn't disappoint this time around. With their school boy charm and humorous take on everything they bring a shine of light to the show!!! I really can't wait for the rest of the series and to see what Britains Got Talent will bring us in the future!!!! Review by Liam de Gruchy

Britain's Got Talent

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
18 June 2007

If you like entertainment/talent shows, e.g. Pop Idol, The X Factor, etc, finding the newest talent from the country, then this is the show with it all. Presented by Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donnelly, this new show sets out to find the best talent that would have the chance to win £100,000, and the chance to perform in front of The Queen or Prince Charles at The Royal Variety Performance. The judges were ex-newspaper editor and media baron Piers Morgan, actress of stage and screen Amanda Holden (who performed there herself), and the always popular music producer Simon Cowell, with temporary guest judges actress, dancer and model Kelly Brook and music manager Louis Walsh. The show has no rules about age or act, they just want anyone to turn up who thinks they have something to impress the judges, the thousand strong audience, and (if they win) royalty. The difference here is not just the audience, but the judges have the opportunity to stop the act with three X buzzers. The acts that get through to the semi-finals are all great fun in their own ways, and most deserved to get there. Acts have included: Damon Scott with Bubbles the Monkey, opera singer and winner Paul Potts, young classical singer Faryl Smith, young soprano Andrew Johnston, electric violin players Escala, street dancer and winner George Sampson, canine freestyle act Kate and Gin, dance act Signature, rapper DJ Talent, street dance group Flawless, young singer Shaheen Jafargholi, comedy dance act Stavros Flatley, singing phenomenon Susan Boyle, street dance group and winners Diversity, and many more. Ant and Dec were number 56, and Simon Cowell number 33 on The 100 Worst Britons (why?), Cowell was number 28, and Ant and Dec number 7 on TV's 50 Greatest Stars, and Cowell was number 67 on The 100 Greatest Sex Symbols. Very good!