IMDb > Bad Meat (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Bad Meat More at IMDbPro »

Entertaining movie let down by terrible editing

Author: Jakksid from United States
1 November 2011

First of all, I am aware that "Bad Meat" suffered a lot of problems during its production. The original director Rob Schmitt was replaced by Lulu Jarmen, who was making her directorial debut (and first experience in film whatsoever according to IMDb.) There were also issues with funding, and at one point it was announced that the film had been canceled. So it was understandable that the final product would probably be a little bit shaky at times.

However, it still wasn't any less painful to see just how badly edited the film was due to its potential. The final cut of "Bad Meat" was less than eighty minutes long. After a very confusing opening sequence the film quickly switches to a clear plot about a group of unruly teenagers arriving at a Boot Camp run by over-aggressive workers. Although things soon go from bad to worse for as the staff begin to contract a disease, causing them to vigorously release every bodily fluid known to man and then turn into flesh-eating maniacs. It's fairly simple and it works, however it is continuously and rudely interrupted from brief clips developing from the opening sequence over and over again, which don't contribute anything to the storyline. I would later find out these were not added until the last minute after the original cast had finished filming, nor were they actually scripted (which does make a whole lot of sense seeing how awkwardly they are crammed in.) This could not be made more apparent by the abrupt manner in which the film just sharply ends and cuts to the credits, with no prior indication it was nearing the conclusion. In fact, at the time I felt that the film was really starting to get interesting.

The most frustrating thing about "Bad Meat" is that it was very fun to watch, and even if the opening and ending had been remotely logical it would have been a very solid horror film overall. Yet due to the merciless butchering it received in the editing room the final result is too short and too uneven to be considered a good movie.

My final rating - 6.5/10. The bulk of the film was thoroughly entertaining hence this rating, and despite the extremely shoddy editing, it is not a movie I regret seeing. Hopefully someone has another crack at making the plot clearer before publicly releasing it.

Better than expected, bad "ending"

Author: simon-wylie
18 December 2012

This movie wasn't too bad actually, quite funny and enjoyable... in a "so bad it's good" kinda way. 6 wayward teens (3 guys, 3 girls) are sent to a bootcamp-style camp (Camp Hardway - lol) where overly aggressive & all-round a**hole staff make their stay a living hell. The cook though seems to make a stew with some "Bad Meat" which only the staff eat, and after a night of extreme vomiting they all turn into flesh-eating Zombie rip-offs. And the wayward teens are on the menu. All inter-cut with rather weird hospital scenes of the lone survivor(?) in a hospital bed with the worst mummy body-bandaging you'll ever see (blood oozing from everywhere). How the film ended (i'm not calling it "an ending") was terrible. It just abruptly ended with so much left unexplained - like they ran out of budget haha. The inter-cut hospital scenes didn't add anything either, i couldn't even tell who the patient was supposed to be. i'd recommend this if you're in the mood for a no-brainer gore-fest (that you can have a laugh at) if you find it at your video store for a $1 or $2 weekly rental, or if you find it on the net or TV. 4/10.

An unfinished movie

Author: Sean H-. (cornflakeboy20) from United States
15 June 2013

This movie had interesting potential. It was an all-encompassing horror hybrid of summer camp slasher, zombie, hillbilly cannibal, horror comedy etc. And then, as multiple people have pointed out, the movie abruptly wraps up DURING the climax with a slapped on montage that resolves nothing. Terry Gilliam and David Lynch have made good movies out of unfinished pieces, but not these jokers.

The basic plot is six teens sent to military school. Three male, three female. We get bits and pieces of their stories, but it doesn't matter because they have no resolution. Dave Franco is the only thing resembling a star and as usual he gets no screen time. He spends most of the movie locked in a box. Somebody wrapped in bandages purporting to be him frames the movie, but it looks like they got a woman to play him. The military school is run by Nazi kinksters and this provides some elements of humor. A mistreated hillbilly cook gets revenge by giving the counselors food poisoning, which leaves them crazily sick for what seems like half a day and then suddenly turns them into cannibal zombies, who sort of act like cats. In spite of the fact that we've seen the meat being poisoned and fed to the counselors, the movie spends ten minutes of plot having an emo biology student cut apart a dog to discover the cause. In a normal movie, he might also discover a cure or something to bring the film to a resolution, but that does not happen. Much time is spent on attempting to find keys to free Dave Franco. Whether and how these keys are used remains a mystery. There's some intrigue and tensions and attempts at character building between the campers, and it's all a waste of time.

It is actually a shame this movie is not 20 minutes longer or could not use its 80ish minutes better. They could have had something, but there is no payoff. And there was no artistic purpose for a lack of payoff. They simply lost film or lost funding.

And what is the conspiracy not to give Dave Franco screen time, even in a movie with no stars? It's bewildering.

A little crazy but good!

Author: hellornola from United States
12 November 2012

Before I decided to watch this, I sifted through dozens of reviews, most of the claiming that this movie was beyond terrible and that no one in the right mind should see it. I decided to see it anyway.

Surprisingly, it was much better than I expected. There was plenty of gore for those who like it bloody, some funny scenes, great acting (especially from Mark Pellegrino), and a fairly decent plot. The only problem was that some of the plot was a little confusing and the audience is left with a few loose ends. I don't think those things took away from the movie too much though.

Honestly, I don't regret seeing this movie, and I don't think people should be put off by the lack of good reviews. It's not the greatest horror movie ever made, but it kept me interested until the very end, so I'd say it's worth watching in my book.

Far more enjoyable than I expected.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
9 October 2014

I'd read about Bad Meat's troubled production—how the original director was replaced and funding was cut—and was prepared for something truly terrible, so I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of fun I actually had with this crazy, gory, sexy, twisted little horror flick. Yes, it does suffer from some editing issues, with the hospital scenes feeling awkwardly inserted into the main story and an ending that leaves the viewer wondering what the hell just happened, but I found the rest of the film so insanely entertaining that it's easy for me to be forgiving.

The film takes place in Hardway Camp, an establishment in the middle of nowhere where exasperated parents can ship their unruly kids, safe in the knowledge that they will be thoroughly disciplined by the tough and uncompromising staff. Six new arrivals, three teenage boys and three (hot) teenage girls, are subjected to the camp's extreme regime, at least until the staff fall ill, the result of bad meat served to them by Hardway's unhappy chef. As the teens slowly come to realise what has happened, they start to think about making a bid for freedom, but any plans are put on hold as the seriously sick staff suddenly become a lot more lively, turning into cannibalistic monsters!

A refreshingly carefree 'anything goes' approach ensures that the action is never boring, with plenty of gruesome splatter and WTF? moments to astonish and disgust even the most jaded of viewers. I was particularly surprised by the S&M sex antics of two of the guards, which sees a sexy female guard and her male co-worker indulging in some eye-watering role reversal. Other memorable scenes include the same couple involuntarily vomiting in each other's faces, the rather nauseating dissection of a dead dog, one of the teenagers being woken up in a most unorthodox fashion, and the repeated application of an improvised stomach pump. The film also benefits from a high totty level: the aforementioned female guard dons sexy rubber attire, while all three of the delinquent girls are absolute babes and not averse to sauntering around in their underwear!

A shame

Author: radioflyerpunk from UK
23 November 2013

This film is clearly unfinished. It builds story, setting, and characters well, and the tone of it is great — fun, schlocky gore. I was surprised at how enjoyable it was... and then it just peters out and stops. It isn't an enigmatic or deliberately open-ended climax — it merely hasn't been completed. Whether this was a screen writing problem or a production thing I don't know, but in simplest terms: there is no third act to speak of.

It's a real shame as what's there is good, solid, trashy horror. Frustrating, and a real waste. It's a bit of an affront to release it and present it as a finished piece, to be frank; it's especially galling to see it was funded by the UK lottery/Film Council.

If it were completed I reckon it was on for a 7/10. The annoyance of sitting through it only to be cheated out of a properly finished story makes me want to give it 2/10. So: 4 it is.

More like Bad Taste

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
5 April 2015

BAD MEAT is a horrible little film, a zero budget Canadian flick that seems to have aspirations to be the next Troma film. Certainly it's a waste of time for all but the most dedicated of B-movie veterans, as it's cheap looking, badly written, highly clichéd, and full of bad taste situations.

Now, I'm not adverse to a little bad taste here and there, as long as it's required by the plot. David Cronenberg is one of my favourite directors, after all. But the level of bad taste on here is just infantile as the filmmakers go out of their way to offend the sensibilities of their viewer. Characters eat the titular meat and are subject to fits of copious vomiting before they eventually turn into bloodthirsty zombies.

The boot camp plot line - the heroes are a group of wayward teenagers, all of them stereotypes - is a poor one and barely gets off the ground before the nonsense begins. The vomiting isn't even the worst - a scene where a woman has sex with a muscled black guy by using a strap-on on him is one of the most pointless I've ever watched. Once the zombie action kicks off, very little happens, and the gore is surprisingly mild given the unpleasantness that's come beforehand. The film also runs out of budget before the end, meaning the story ends abruptly halfway through so that you don't end up knowing the fate of the characters (not that you want to) while other sequences are excruciatingly drawn out.

About Half of a Good Movie

Author: helersk from United States
23 April 2014

While I did enjoy this movie, I found myself absolutely enraged by the nonsensical cutoff. This slow-burn, small-budget, small-cast outbreak/zombie flick has its problems, but is over all entertaining. If you don't mind the completely unsatisfying, nonsensical ending. The acting isn't amazing, but it is decent and not too hammy. The special effects clearly aren't high caliber, but who can resist a (MINOR SPOILER) ... ... ... dominatrix zombie, complete with strap on and accompanying zombie gimp. However ... ... ... (MUCH BIGGER SPOILER) ... ... ... all the characters die off screen! What the hell kind of ending is that?! You never find out what happens to anyone! All the major characters still seem like they're in play when the movie ends, even though the flashbacks say that there is only a single survivor! ... ... ... (END SPOILERS!) I don't know if this is a case of a insufficient funding or insufficient story telling, but there was no satisfaction to be had! I highly suspect that these very competent filmmakers just cut together half a movie and called it a day. Hopefully, anyways, because the alternative is that they really think an ambiguous ending is the same thing as NOT FINISHING YOUR FREAKING FILM!

So, in conclusion, half a rating for HALF A MOVIE!

Over all a bad film

Author: Daman-Malone from New York, NY
6 June 2014

The only thing that got me turned on to this movie was hopes of flesh eating maniacs. BUT it let me down so much that I seriously think any clown with a handy cam can now make a movie.

From the pathetic over the top acting of the one dimensional characters to the effects it was bad. The useless attempt of story was just that an attempt.

There are many things you can do with you life than watch another crap film that lacks everything a viewable independent horror film should have.

Just look at the writers credit, a man who has done a short film called COCK about a loner who has a talking penis explains many things about his direction of screen writing.

As for the director, this is her only movie. I know why, DO YOU! if you do watch this and you'll find out.

I don't claim to be the saviour of lost hours, I can't give you your time back if you have watched this film, but those that may think about watching it, DON'T.

Good movie but bad ending

Author: Parko1897 from Australia
21 February 2014

I really enjoyed this movie, it keeps you wanting more by watching and waiting. Draws you In very well but my only dislike about this movie is the ending. I don't really understand why they just cut the movie off like that but it confused me. I'm guessing that the person wrapped up like a mummy is Tyler and he's the only surviver considering he was locked In a box for most of the movie. If it ended a little better I would for sure rate this a 10. Defiantly worth watching once though. I wouldn't buy the movie, just rent it out or what not. 7/10 for gore , blood , guts and all that jazz. So for all you gory lovers out there , you will for sure get a thrill.