IMDb > From Time to Time (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
From Time to Time

From Time to Time More at IMDbPro »

Fine storytelling and highly entertaining

Author: MovieSonic from United Kingdom
3 December 2010

I put off watching this film for a long time because of the 6/10 IMDb rating and because it seems like one of those films you 'need to be in the mood for'.

Well, it is but when you are in the mood for a good story then watch this film because the overall result is certainly worth it. Technically and visually the film is successful (i.e. cinematography, location, costumes etc.) but it is the story itself that kept me interested. I am not sure if the success of the film is owed to the book it was adapted from or if the script added anything but I was certainly impressed.

The funny and tragic moments never felt forced or embellished and the actors were extremely committed and convincing.

I am not a viewer who knows too much about the film making process so the most I can comment on really is that whilst the ending was rather predictable I was happy I had watched the film and would highly recommend it to others.

I hope the IMDb rating increases as it easily deserves 8/10

A Lovely Film From Another Time....

Author: Tyger-Flynn
9 December 2010

This is a film that would easily have been made 40 years ago - that it was made now is remarkable. I never read the book upon which it was based so I came to it on its own merits - and it stood more than just well. This is a film to be savored like a fine wine - it has rich nuances. There is so much that is good about it - from writing and acting to photography and set design.

It is an atmospheric film. Beautifully captured - the two time periods are both portrayed in evocative detail. The mood for 1941 feels iconic but real - like it would have been - in memory - quiet, all in muted wintry grays with the detail of the house and its rooms presented to the eye like paintings. By contrast, 1811 has a warm and vivid lushness like a dream. Fascinating choices.

Beautifully acted - of exceptional note is Maggie Smith. Hugh Bonneville gives a wonderful performance as Captain Oldknow. I found the marital relationship between the Captain and his foreign wife, as acted by Hugh Bonneville and Carice van Houten, as his wife Maria, intriguing. Made me wonder about how that relationship was portrayed in the book. Pauline Collins and Timothy Spall and Dominic West all excellent, as are the actors playing the children. Well done all round.

This film made me curious about the book. In fact, I will likely read the book now.

Captivating story about interwoven time

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
26 December 2010

This film is about a young boy who goes to stay with his grandmother's stately home during the Second World War. He finds the house's secret ability to transport him back in time.

"From Time to Time" successfully weaves together past and present events in a logical manner. Many time travel stories have major plot loopholes, but "From Time to Time" has a logical plot that even when people from present interacts with people in the past and alter events from the past. I particularly like the fact that bits of stories weave together, such as the "miracle light" and the jewels, so everything in the film happens for a reason. I enjoyed watching "From Time to Time" a lot.

Enchanting film

Author: Matthew Hopkiins from United Kingdom
27 December 2010

I caught this entirely by chance on TV here in the UK on Boxing Day, and was transfixed from start to finish.

Whilst I've never read the book, I do recall an earlier version of this on TV from back in the 80's, but I doubt if there could be a more definitive version than this, with a stellar cast, and superb cinematography, my only question is how such a good film can emerge with a whimper rather than a bang.

Of course I appreciate that a film like this isn't remotely 'trendy', but the art of good story telling never goes out of fashion.

No surprise to see that Julian Fellowes was behind this, it had much of the same grandeur (and cast members!) that were to be found in his huge TV success of 2010 'Downtown Abbey' I cannot recommend this film highly enough, for lovers of ghost stories, and historical films in general, the two odd hours whizz by.

Another Ghost story but lovely not scary.

Author: nav swamey from India
28 November 2010

"The Chimneys of Green Knowe" was very good book and adaptation of this book as movie was very wise decision,As the movie make justice with the book.I have seen many movies based on novels but this one is really amazing and honest to book.

The cinematography is beautiful,the acting is superb especially Maggie Smith(Linnet),Eliza Bennett(Susan) and Alex Etel(Tolly) have done a great job.Movie is a little slow in start but as soon it reaches in the middle you are bound to complete it.The director gave this movie a soft treatment.The music is not so well but it is not bad at all.

Finally If you are the fan of "The Green Knowe series" or just want to see a movie in your weekend go borrow the DVD as this a rare movie.

A lovely time travel film

Author: jk-332 from United States
21 April 2012

I hadn't heard a thing about this movie when it came out, but seeing Maggie Smith and Dominic West and Hugh Bonneville in the cast, I had to give it a try. I loved time travel books a lot when I was young and I wish I'd known about the book series this comes from, because it would've been perfect for me. I loved the look and the tone of the movie, with just enough adventure and mysteries to solve to keep me riveted. Yes, the tone is a bit somber at times, and I wasn't crazy about Alex Etel's performance as Tolly (he's fairly wooden), but it really moves well and there are enough other characters to focus on, so overall, I quite enjoyed it. Maggie Smith isn't as fun as she is on Downton Abbey, but few things are that amusing, after all. Dominic West, Pauline Collins, Hugh Bonneville, Timothy Spall and Harriet Walter are wonderful in smaller roles, while Eliza Bennett and Kwayedza Kureya, both new to me, are charming as the children in the Regency era. I also have to say that I loved the fashion in the past, with both Carice van Houten and Douglas Booth looking especially dishy in those clothes. I would say this is definitely a children's movie, but also good for adults who are children at heart (like me).

A good story and and excellent film

Author: jcornwoz from United States
7 November 2013

I have watched this several times now and I enjoy it more with each viewing. The acting was excellent all around with some of the minor parts (Boggis and Tweedle) being brief parts played with real depth. A very good cast with some famous performers and the younger actors holding their own.

I was especially moved by the films treatment of death and Maggie Smith's (Mrs. Oldknow's)explanation of how a loss can be accepted if someone is truly loved.

I cannot think of anything Julian Fellowes has done that has not been excellent (except possibly overdoing it in The Scarlet Pimpernel). His work is almost a guarantee of excellence.

Although the film is emotional, it is not contrived. I think this is a good film that works both for children and adults.

I highly recommend it.

A Charm of its Own

Author: gradyharp from United States
19 July 2013

Julian Fellowes adapted the screenplay from Lucy M. Boston's novel 'The Chimneys of Green Knowe' and as expected, especially when he directs his own films the story though slight is filled with elegance, grace and rich atmosphere. With a splendid cast it truly comes to life.

Set in 1940s England, 13-year-old Tolly (Alex Etel) is sent to stay with his grandmother (Maggie Smith) at her country home, which she fears she will have to sell due to money problems. Tolly's father is fighting in WWII, and is missing in action. As his grandmother tells him about the history of the house, and Tolly's ancestors, he finds that he is able to travel back in time to 1805 and discover secrets about his family's past, which still resonate today. The idea of time lapse is present in the story from 1805 - which centers around Tolly's ancestors, the kindly Captain Oldknow (Hugh Bonneville) and his selfish wife Maria (Carice van Houten) and their children Sefton, a spoiled, selfish young man (Douglas Booth) and a kindly, blind girl Susan (Eliza Bennett). Into their lives comes Jacob (Kwayedza Kureya), a former slave who escapes from captivity with the help of Captain Oldknow and joins the household as a companion for Susan, much to the chagrin of Sefton. The primary storyline is set in the 1940s, with Tolly and his grandmother worrying about what has become of Tolly's father, while at the same time getting to know and understand each other. The cast is augmented with character roles played by Timothy Spall, Dominic West, Douglas Booth, Rachel Bell and Pauline Collins.

This is a spirited adventure ghost story played two centuries apart and for those who enjoy the artistry of Julian Fellowes, this is a fine evening's diversion.

Grady Harp

beautiful film, wonderful cast

Author: richardmarquis-149-126832 from United Kingdom
1 January 2013

Since this is a film of The CHIMNEYS of Green Knowe, any reviewer mistaking it for the CHILDREN of Green Knowe will naturally be disappointed. I saw the 1980s series The Children of Green Knowe, and I loved it. It inspired me to go out to the house outside of Cambridge (where I live) where Lucy M Boston lived, and I loved that too. But this film had a much more exciting story to tell, and a much more wonderful cast to tell it through, and I thought the screenplay and direction by Julian Fellowes were perfect, as were the performances, especially those of Alex Etel and Maggie Smith. For some reason I never read the Green Knowe books as a child, so I came to the TV adaptations (both the 80s series and this masterful new one) fresh, and could enjoy them without preconceptions. Although I love Julian Fellowes' Downton Abbey very much, it has never moved me the way From Time To Time has. I wept happily throughout the last twenty minutes, and I am a large hairy tweed-clad old man with a bristling moustache and (I'm told) a somewhat forbidding manner. It introduced me to a whole new world, or several worlds, all so life-like that it was like inhabiting them myself. It is late now, I am going to bed soon, and I hope to dream myself back to it.

An interesting historical fantasy

Author: stringman58 from Seattle, Wa
17 November 2013

This script is well written, though you do need an attention span longer than 10 minutes to get drawn into what becomes an intriguing historical family saga.Touching on some rather raw historical morality and class distinction issues. An all star cast including Alex Ethel and Maggie Smith, performs leading and supporting roles,with superb delivery of character and dialog by all the cast members. It builds into an exciting surprising adventure and greatly suitable for the whole family. As I mentioned it took a few minutes to establish the characters and lead us along with the young lead character into the mystery of the Old family Estate. But once the surprises and twists begin, it's a fun entertaining movie. I will certainly be recommending it to my friends and family.