IMDb > Spider (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Spider More at IMDbPro »

Memorable Short Film

Author: MystifiedMe from Illinois, United States
1 July 2007

After watching Spider as well as another short film titled Lucky, it seems that Nash Edgerton has a slightly warped mind that relishes the bizarre unexpected plot twist. Even though the final twist in Spider is rather macabre, I also found it kind of humorous - sort of a "that's horrid but it does serve you right" reaction.

The production of Spider is very real-life and natural feeling, gritty rather than slick. The actress who plays Jill, Mirrah Foulkes, is especially good. Her reactions to Jack's 'sweeet' attempts at making up and to his dreadfully misguided joke, are most believable.

Watching Spider is like reading an imaginative short story, I hope to be able to view more offbeat and good stories by Mr. Edgerton.

Hard to ignore

Author: riverwildeuk
23 January 2014

In my continued attempt to avoid spoilers, I am hoping that I can do fair justice in my review of this good little short. If you have not seen it please do. For me it does not merely sit in the comedy genre but does have a gore element without the blood and guts. A plot driven film that hinges on two story twists - one too obvious while the other unexpected and funny - there is not a real story to this short. It would be fairer to say this is a sketch of shorts that pulls off a well executed plot. The performances are neither here or there and you are left to marvel at how they achieved the visual effects and applaud the filmmakers for that and of course the brilliant editing.

Fun and games

Author: TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews from Earth
5 March 2015

Jack(Edgerton, charming, who also directs) and Jill(Foulkes, cute) are driving, well, she is, to be more precise, and he's in the front passenger seat. She's annoyed with him – he always takes things too far. A bit of a practical joker, that one. They stop for gas, and he buys her some apology gifts… and something else.

This uses its 8 minute running time(not counting the end credits, with, it's 9) well. Everything is established, set up. We're shown with a few shots and seconds everything we need to know about these two, as individuals, together, and each decision and event builds, until we reach the hilarious major punchlines. If you want outrageous, pitch black humor, Aussie productions are definitely the way to go. Production values are solid. Nothing feels like it's on a budget. This is a sweet rom-com about a couple who can get on each other's nerves… but who do really love each other. And then that is interrupted by a sudden burst of comedy, which is all the more effective by its surrounding short.

There is some brutal, disturbing content in this. I recommend it to anyone who loves this kind of thing. 8/10

Surprise element does not make a great film

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
27 September 2013

This slightly-under-10-minute short film is directed by, written by and starring Nash Edgerton shortly before he became Bob Dylan's regular music video director. The female lead is Mirrah Foulkes and Edgerton's slightly younger and probably more famous brother Joel has a small part in it as well.

We see a couple in a car and seemingly he did something before the film started to upset his girlfriend, as it's easy to see from her reactions (or lack thereof) and face expressions that she's angry at her man. The main content of the film is how he uses different ways to get on her good side again. Finally he managed thanks to a bouquet of flowers and chocolate. Had the film ended at this point, it could actually have been a pretty decent, though not too interesting, feel-good movie. However, it does not and what happens next is pretty much what you'd expect to happen from a stunt man directing a film (and that's not meant in a derogatory fashion). Actually, I was really surprised the girl survived it cause judging from the impact of raw force she looked like a goner. Unfortunately, I don't think the final act managed to raise the film quality-wise. It just added shock value and surprise the film could have done without and as a whole, I would not really recommend the film because of it. The moment she criticizes herself for giving in over some chocolate, I was really close to giving it a thumbs-up though.

Roald Dahl would be proud of this tale of the unexpected...

Author: Jack Keane from United Kingdom
14 August 2011

While this film may only be 9 minutes long, believe me when I say that in this tiny window of a running time, Nash Edgerton packs in a couple of narrative punches that are so shocking, startling, bizarre and downright macabre, that they must be seen to be believed. I would really, really, really, ridiculously like to tell you what those narrative punches are, but the less you know going into "Spider," the better. (The surprise is half of the desired effect.) What I will say in this review is pretty much what every other reviewer has and will say about this, which is basically just giving you a basic outline of what "Spider" is about...at least, to start with. (Like I said: the surprise is definitive.) The film begins in a car, and with us meeting the main characters of the film: a couple known as Jack and Jill. (This should give you an indication of how this is sort of a twisted play on the original nursery rhyme.) Jack has done something to Jill before the film's begun that has made her rather peeved with him. In a matter of a couple of lines of dialogue, we learn that Jack is rather the practical joker - the kind of prankster that goes way too far in his attempts to have a laugh. Jill, it would seem, has had enough. The strained couple are in the middle of driving to - and then arrive at - a petrol station for gas. As Jill leaves Jack to sit in the car to fill up her car, leaving him to ponder how he can make her smile for him again, Jack gets out of the car and enters the kiosk. It is here that Jack buys several items with which he hopes he can reconciliate with Jill. But little does he know the dramatic effect that one of these items in particular will soon have on both him and Jill... But I can tell you no more after that. By looking on this IMDb page for "Spider," you may be able to glean some clues as to what happens by the film's end. (The tagline alone is more important than how it might first appear...) Other than that, though, you should go into this with as little information as possible. For example, I came across this film very late last night on Channel 4, alongside another short film called "Incident By A Bank" (also recommended). I had no idea what it was about, nor knew anything about it beforehand, but this similar treatment of the short films shown late at night on Channel 4 lead me to another great short film just days before this one, called "One Minute Past Midnight" (also very highly recommended), so I gave "Spider" a shot, and it was worth it. So, if you find yourself able to watch this through whatever means you've found to be able to watch it, do so immediately...because your jaw will hit the floor and you will be positively gobsmacked...TWICE.

Awesome short film!

Author: nikkic-58210 from Australia
29 March 2016

I was recommended to watch this film by my teacher at university (I'm currently studying a bachelor of film & TV production) and I am so glad he recommended it to me. After watching it, I couldn't help myself- I has to write some sort of review about it! This film, is absolutely brilliant. I will try my best to not release any spoilers for those of you who haven't seen it, however if you still haven't seen this film- Please do! Personally, I have watched it twice in a row now.Written and directed by Australian stuntman and Director, Nash Edgerton, in my opinion Spider has definitely made it to the "list" of some of the best short films to come out of Australia. It has a very simple yet intriguing storyline with a very bizarre and unexpected plot twist…. In fact, 2 plot twists. There are some elements of gore within the film however I found it to be quite humorous at the same time, it was a perfect combination of comedy, drama and gore. Edgerton not only did a phenomenal job at directing this film, but he can also be seen within the film acting as the lead male, Jack. Jack constantly keeps trying to make up to his girlfriend Jill (played by Mirrah Foulkes) for accidentally taking a joke too far. Nash slid into this character perfectly and made his acting very believable. Mirrah was exceptional in her role as Jill, her reactions to Jack's poor attempts to make up to her throughout the film are honest and truthful. Both actors were phenomenally casted and did exceptionally well within their roles. As mentioned earlier, I really like how it was directed and also how the storyline was structured. There are some nice close up, medium and long shots used throughout the film to establish the scene and also get the character's point of view and emotions. It has some sensational visuals/special effects (some which left me wondering- how did they even do that?!), a high production value overall and obviously some very clever directing. Even the lighting suited the dark, gloomy nature of the film. From the start it was obvious what the story was about however we weren't aware of where it was all heading, it kept us guessing and wanting to know what happens next. Both characters are completely opposite to each other which created some nice dramatic conflict throughout the piece. Overall I'd give this short film a rating of 10/10. After watching this masterpiece, I am now so excited to see what else Nash Edgerton comes up with… He is no doubt about to become something huge in the film and TV industry one day and I am definitely going to keep an eye out for his work in the future! I highly recommend this film if you like dark comedies…. And when I say Dark, I mean DARK. Be prepared for the unexpected, after all… "it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye"- Mum.

One of the best shorts I've ever seen

Author: palaesTiNA from Germany
14 June 2015

I came across the film 'Spider' last week accidentally while I was surfing on http://www.vice.com and I can only recommend it to anybody out there. It's clever and funny. Okay, I wouldn't classify it as a comedy, rather a drama, but definitely nobody would deny that there are some components of black humour in it - which I must confess I generally don't really like in movies (at least in those with the normal length) - but in short-films, the situation is completely different. Regarding the fact that short-films rarely last longer than 15 minutes (this one even is <10min) it is no easy task for the producers to create a plot lines that stick in people's minds even when the movie itself has long ended -- I guess, that's why many short-film makers decide to set their focus more on things like methaphorical/artistical language or sounds than on captivating stories.'Spider', in contrary, has taken this task & successfully coped with it. The story focuses on a (remarkable authentic;) young couple, going through a (merely small) relationship crisis during a car ride. When the boy finally decides to implement his (stupid?) plans to reconcile with his spouse, things inevitably start to take its course.... Including some (black-, but nevertheless) humorous scenes, the movie also offers an intelligence plot twist (which I think is obligatory for a good movie) & two young and talented actors - but the best is still the stunning last scene, which forces you to still gaze at your screen in shocking amazement even though the movie's already over and the closing credits are rushing (which are, besides, accompanied by a very nice soundtrack). Altogether, 'Spider' is definitely worth watching. You think, you see the climax already coming from far away? -->Maybe you got to learn, that every now and then, destiny might be more than a nasty bitch:)

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye." -Mum

Stark, Graphic Short Film

Author: jlanemc from United States
13 August 2009

Nash Edgerton is to be commended for the quality of his directing as well as that of his acting. His Jack is a convincing portrayal of a young man in the process of making amends for his part in an unspecified spat between he and Jill (Mirrah Foulkes). Ms. Foulkes does an equally fine job in her role, letting herself be wooed back into the relationship via chocolates and flowers. There are humorous bit parts by the clerks in a Quick Stop, and good parts played by the EMT's. Special effects are surprisingly good for a short film on a small budget. I still haven't figured out how they managed the scene in which Jill is struck by a car as she jumps back from the spider - too realistic. The needle in Jack's eye is also guaranteed to make your toes curl in sympathetic horror. In all, a very believable vignette. I look forward to seeing more productions from Blue Tongue Films.

Gee whiz, didn't anybody else read "Charlotte's Web" as a kid?

Author: BigBabe0 from United States
26 December 2008

I was just wondering why so many people seem to be afraid of spiders. What I most admire about them is their approach to life: set up shop somewhere and then just wait for something to happen along. As to their dietary regimen: okay, they eat bugs because bugs are available. Not too many pizzas come flying along, I would imagine.

Anyway, it almost takes longer to describe the plot of this short film than it does to watch it. "Jack" and "Jill" (hey, cute) are driving along in Australia (I still can't get used to seeing the steering wheel on the wrong side). She's mad at him for some reason. They stop at a gas station (run by guys from India, of course) where he buys her some presents. Back in the car, he feeds her some chocolates and just as she's starting to like him again, a rubber spider freaks her out. She pulls over, gets out, then hops backwards and is promptly hit by a mini-van. (It seems to be a trend in movies nowadays to depict what's within the screen as a kind of two-dimensional universe, at least in scenes like this, so the oncoming vehicle apparently arrives out of nowhere and can't be seen at a distance by the person about to get hit.) Paramedics then arrive; one of them prepares a hypodermic needle for Jill, sees the fake spider, also freaks out and our Jack winds up with the needle in his eyeball. "Oooh, I HATE when that happens!" "I know what you mean...." Like many people I guess, I'll watch pretty much anything if I know in advance it's only ten minutes long, and I didn't regard this as a waste of my ten minutes. Nice quick dose of sardonic humor from Down Under, what's not to like? As to what it's "for"? Hey, that's easy: it's for... about ten minutes.

Hold on....this one will make your heart stop!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
7 September 2008

I normally don't say this, but if you watch this film, you really should not have any heart problems or be terribly squeamish. I am NOT kidding--if you are not 100% sure, then you should not watch this movie as it is probably the most heart-pounding and amazing shorts I've seen in a long time. I also was very impressed with the film--not just because it made such a very strong visceral reaction on me. The film was amazingly well-constructed and even funny, in a very, very dark and twisted way.

While I could say more or even describe the plot, I'd rather not as it would clearly spoil the film. The bottom line is that this is a great but tough to watch short and I can't wait to see more from the brilliant folks who made it. Great job!

FYI--Aside from starring in the film, directing it and co-writing it, Nash Edgerton is most widely known as, of all things, a stunt man! This guy can apparently do it all!!