IMDb > Secretariat (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Good, but not GREAT!

Author: howardhorsehold from Clovis, New Mexico
13 October 2010

My grandmother was a parent during the '50's and liked everything neat and clean and in its place. Heaven forbid if things get too out of hand; too "real". I have waited my entire life for Hollywood to tell Secretariat's story and after watching Disney's Secretariat my heart remains unsatisfied. It was a good, "feel good" movie, but "good" is the keyword. I felt like Grandma edited this movie. Again, it is a good movie with some interjections of great cinematography, yet Secretariat was a GREAT horse and deserved a GREAT movie. This was an Oscar winning story, with an Oscar winning cast, but the script was emotionally impotent. There were no risks and risk is what horse racing is all about. The movie is so safe and there wasn't anything safe about the facts that surround this horse and his rise to be the greatest race horse that ever lived.

Still today, when I watch Secretariat run on YouTube, I cry!!! I'm not sure why, but the tears flow from the depths of my being. Rationally, I try to tell myself that he is just a horse, but something overcomes me every time, no matter how many times I watch him run. That overwhelming surge of emotion is what this story deserved. If you've ever been in the presence of a great horse, you will know what I am talking about. They are strong and confident. You can feel their aura. There is a low rolling thunder of excitement when you are near them. Talk to the people who were there. Read the first hand accounts of their emotional state when they saw this horse run. He was mesmerizing, captivating, unexplainably breathtaking. The audience deserved to feel the thunder roll through them in every scene.

I expected so much more from director Randall Wallace. The power and emotion of Braveheart, We Were Soldiers, Pearl Harbor, The Man in the Iron Mask, is what Secretariat deserves. Where was that? I'm not sure what research he did for this movie and how much his hands were tied by the real life characters or the studio, but the main character became the background and what was in the forefront was a "sugar coated" conflict of a woman with a driving passion and the place society and her family was trying to lock her into; however, even her passion didn't spill out onto the audience as it should have. I felt like the accomplishments of Penny Chenery and Secretariat have been shrunk down and placed into a nice, neat little box fit for a good little housewife and her sweet little horse. I felt as if I was the one being squelched, because I wanted so badly for everyone to share the emotion I feel at the sheer audaciousness when this horse ran. To accomplish what they accomplished, he and his owner had to be completely audacious to rise above the negativity and overwhelming odds surrounding them.

Diane Lane is one of my favorite actresses; however, her role left me doubting the character. For example, when a woman talks to her horse, she does more than look into his eye for a few seconds and say, "Well OK then". When a woman truly needs to know something from her horse she breathes him in, they breathe each other in, as their souls entwine and one knows the other. You will see it on his face and you will see it on her face, without human words being spoken. This is a rare and special event, but it happens, and it could have carried this movie. If you have seen Diane Lane in "Unfaithful" you will realize this is an actress that could translate this kind of communication and emotion to the screen.

The audience should have been allowed to feel the emotional range that surrounds all involved in preparing a horse for the greatest races any thoroughbred will ever run. Just watch horse racing on television and you will see real raw emotion that these people explode with at the end of the race. So much was on the line for everyone involved and yet throughout the movie everyone handled the stress with subdued emotion, never getting too far off the scale. Just when you thought someone was going to show some real feelings, they apologized for it. Real life is just as ugly as it is beautiful. Without the dark of night, the brightest stars would never beam their intense beauty upon us. Every masterpiece must have its extreme contrasts to fulfill the emotional needs of its audience.

I'm not blaming anyone. I am sure everyone involved did their best. I am simply sharing with the reader my disappointment in what I thought would be a thrilling tribute to a horse so deserving.

Ron Turcotte said the film captured the story "pretty well". I ask you, is "pretty well" good enough for the greatest race horse who ever ran on the track? Secretariat's heart was two and a half times the size of a normal horse's heart; I feel the portrayal of his story should have been two and a half times the size of any regular movie. He gave us everything he had when he ran the Belmont; thirty-one lengths ahead of Sham who was an amazing, record breaking horse in his own right. Don't we owe it to him, to give him everything we've got, to see that generations to come understand the events that transpired to make him who he is? Have we as a culture become so jaded that there can be no magic in the truth? Can the epic only be found in fiction? I don't believe it. I believe that purity of a moment of perfection forever locked in time is where magic can be found and that magic is why it brings inspiration and tears to the eyes of the soul who seeks it.

Suzette Howard

Big Red with Wings

Author: David Ferguson (fergusontx@gmail.com) from Dallas, Texas
16 September 2010

Greetings again from the darkness. The story of Secretariat is legendary in the world of thoroughbred racing. Being a sports fan, it is always fascinating to witness domination by a singular athlete - Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Roger Federer. Secretariat was the Michael Jordan of racing. In 1973, Big Red dominated racing like no other.

What makes this even more amazing is that Secretariat is actually the second most interesting story ... his owner, Penny Chenery Tweedy (played here by Diane Lane), was his match in competitive spirit. This Disney movie actually spends as much time on Ms. Tweedy as it does the fabulous horse.

Disney does what Disney does best. This is an all out feel-good, rah-rah movie in the vein of "Seabiscuit", "The Rookie", "Rudy" and even "Hoosiers". Don't expect in-depth analysis of the racing world or horse training or even horse farm operations. This movie is made to deliver a warm fuzzy via the perseverance of a strong-willed lady and an incredibly majestic animal.

Expect some over-the-top touches such as John Malkovich's portrayal of trainer Lucen Laurin, horse-whispering by Ms. Lane, and plenty of heart-string tugging as is customary from the fine folks at Disney. Expect historical facts to be treated a bit lax in some scenes (no mention of 1972 Derby winner Riva Ridge, also from the Chenery stables). Expect none of that to matter as this is a crowd-pleaser, not a documentary.

In addition to Mr. Malkovich and Ms. Lane, there is some fine support work from Fred Thompson, James Cromwell and Nelsan Ellis (so great as Lafayette in True Blood). Directed by Randall Wallace, whose most recent directorial effort was 2002's "We Were Soldiers", this is entertainment for all ages and an easy introduction to the champion that was Secretariat.

Wonderful movie

Author: victorysongster from United States
2 December 2010

Secretariat is not only the first film in many years where both old and young can share the same theater; it contains the elements that make you both laugh and cry as most good movies should. From peaceful mornings at sunrise we experience exhilarating horse racing that brings pensive waiting for results of a race already in the history books.

I agree with the Movieguide comments: "SECRETARIAT is a very uplifting, inspiring, exciting movie about a true story, the story of a determined woman who raises one of the most successful, dynamic racehorses of all time. SECRETARIAT is stirring and joyful, with many references to God, Jesus Christ and the Bible and a pro-capitalist message celebrating American values…" Now, what's wrong with this picture? It is refreshingly entertaining.

One of the best sports movies EVER! And a fine movie in general.

Author: McCormack7
7 October 2010

SECRETARIAT is not just a great great sports movie it is just a great movie full-stop. EVery about this film is spot on. The story is wonderfully crafted and well told. The photography is beautiful and classy. The acting is phenomenal. DIANE LANE is in Oscar form as Penny Chenery the owner of Secretariat. She owns the film and gives a very powerful and realistic portrayal. JOHN MALKOVICH is also superb in support. The racing scenes are simply stunning. You are there in the race. It is very well done (and doesn't resort to cheap "shaky-cam" stuff. A very moving and enjoyable movie. It's one of the best sports related movies EVER and comes very highly recommended!

Maybe Next Time They'll Make a Movie About Secretariat

Author: BenLapke from United States
2 October 2010

The movie is great for families, as there were a number of children in the theater who really enjoyed the film. There isn't any off-color language or scenes, and it is well acted and well made. My main complaint is that it really seemed to be the Penny Tweedy story, and not that much about Secretariat. If you want to take your children to a well made movie with horses, this is a good film. If you want to learn about the greatest racehorse of the 20th century, go to you tube and watch old clips of the actual horse itself. If you're looking for a good movie about a horse, buy or rent Seabiscuit. That movie tells much more of the story about the horse.

Exciting Fare

Author: John DeSando (jdesando@columbus.rr.com) from Columbus, Ohio
7 October 2010

"It is beautiful to watch a fine horse gallop, the long stride, the rush of the wind as he passes—my heart beats quicker to the thud of the hoofs and I feel his strength." Richard Jefferies

Secretariat is no exception. It's the story of the fastest horse in history, first known as Big Red, who went on to win horse racing's triple crown on 1973, a feat not accomplished in 25 years. After that he sired 600 foals, much to the delight of his investors, the first to invest solely in a stud future.

But then I love Seabiscuit (2003) for it depression-era cheerleading. This is what American filmmakers do well--a rouser with messages, big–screen chases, and sentimentality for the little guy. Seabiscuit is Rocky for horses, a suspenseful crowd pleaser with characters such as the whisperer played by Chris Cooper, who said, "You don't throw a whole life away just because it's banged up a little." The thought resonates for almost everyone in the film, a tribute to unity of theme and expression of actor.

Similarly there's more than just a racing film in Secretariat; after all National Velvet has a more interesting story and a younger heroine in Elizabeth Taylor, but that was decades ago. This true story is about the grit of Penny Chenery, who took over Virginia's Meadow Stables from her father and beat the male-dominated odds.

This quintessential Disney movie depicts her as tough and loving, a mother and a businesswoman, who can serve as a model for young women aspiring to reach great goals even in this liberated 21st century, which still has a ways to go before it expunges fully the sexism scourge.

The photography is bracing, often putting the camera right by the prancing hoofs or mid-level close to the steed's haunches. Although nothing new here, it is still exciting fare. Because we all know going in that our horse will win the crown, director Randall Wallace is especially successful in keeping us interested and worried for Secretariat.

Disclosure: I like most Hollywood horse-racing stories.

Good movie, but Secretariat was a GREAT horse, and he deserves nothing less than that.

Author: chica72186 from United States
13 October 2010

I went into this movie not expecting anything brilliant, but a fun movie that portrayed a great horse which is exactly what it was(especially since it's a Disney movie). I had no problem that the story was mainly about Penny Chenery and what she did, my problem was that they took the most memorable and moving race of all time (The Belmont) and turned it into a rushed scene. I felt as though they did not spend enough time on Secretariat's magic that happened that day at Belmont. The fact that the race wasn't recorded at Belmont isn't the problem, because there are so many other problems with this scene. The music was just silly - no emotion whatsoever (when I watch the actual footage of this race, there is SO much emotion!). They could have made this scene far better than it was. Maybe I'm comparing it too much to the Match Race and the last race scene from the movie Sea Biscuit - now those were scenes and music put together that gave me goosebumps and tears to my eyes. Secretariat just gets a quick race scene with some silly music as he comes down the last turn. Not too emotional if you ask me.

Diane Lane did a wonderful job as Penny Chenery and you are always rooting for her throughout the entire movie. I can't say the same for her family. Her husband was an ignorant jerk, as was her brother. And why did her peace loving hippie daughter get the extra screen time that Secretariat deserved!? That really irked me. Before this movie came out, so many people were assuming that Sham, Secretariats biggest rival, was not going to be mentioned at all. Well that certainly was not the case as they did a good job at letting the audience know just who Sham was, which really impressed me.

I own race horses and I watch actual footage on youtube of the great ones, especially Secretariat, and I get chills and get a tear to my eye just watching him run (mainly the Derby and the Belmont), and I thought for sure there would be at least one time in the movie where I would get emotional, but no, not one scene had that effect on me. If you know a lot about horse racing and/or truly see how much of a wonderful horse Secretariat was, you will not think this movie is up to par. I also think the movie Sea Biscuit involved more emotion towards the horse from the audience more so than Secretariat does. If you are aware of how great of a horse he was, you will love him, but if you're going into this movie not knowing much about Secretariat, the director fails to bring you emotionally involved with him. I will most likely buy this movie when it comes out because overall I did enjoy it, but I just wish it could have been better.

Simply put, like my title says, Secretariat (the horse himself) was nothing short of great, and this movie is decent at best, and I'm sorry, but the best race horse of all time does not deserve "good" or decent" ... he deserves "GREAT."

Nice movie

Author: budoinst@aol.com from Malabar, FL
11 November 2010

I know somewhat of Secretariat in reality. I was at the Preakness that year and saw the great horse run. I saw on TV the Derby and Belmont wins. I saw the great horse at Claiborne Farms after he was retired. I saw his grave just after he was put down with laminitis.

So much can be stated about this incredible and beautiful creature. He knew he was a star! We may well never see anything like him again. I am fortunate that I did many times.

To the movie. There is nothing ever quite correct in film. The premise of selling him was skewed for the movie, but in the long term the shares and monies were correct. The story about the Chenery's is also quite true. Hollis, the brother, was a professor and intellectual and was not at all into horses. He wanted to get rid of Meadow, the farm, and take the money. Penny's husband was a straightforward guy and was totally against the farm and wanted it sold. Only by Riva Ridge winning of two of three Triple Crown races the year prior to Secretariat's saved the Meadow and Chenery. Eddie Sweat was the closest to Secretariat all his life. He was with him every step of the way until boarding the plane to calm down the horse on his final trip to Kentucky. There is a famous picture of him crying after handing Secretariat over in the wonderful book "The Horse God Created".

In the end, there were many things correct about the movie and a few not so much. The racing scenes were sometimes good but the major Belmont race could have been more exciting. I thought it over all very good and reasonably concise for a two hour film. I would see again for sure.

Secretariat is another of those enjoyable feel-good true-life stories Disney has a reputation for

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
18 October 2010

In a change of pace, I decided to watch this inspirational true-life story of a woman's deciding to keep the title character horse in ownership instead of selling to the highest bidder because of the animal's potential and not the usual comedy films I view with my movie theatre working friend. We both enjoyed those race scenes that involved Secretariat that showcased both his struggles and triumphs. On the drama front, while there are some compellingly played scenes of quiet desperation and of occasional conflict, it's the uplifting parts that really gets to the heart of the matter. Only thing I really have a quibble with is some of the lines betray the time period like that character played by Fred Dalton Thompson wouldn't compare something to Super Fly since that movie came out in 1972 and his scene takes place in 1969. And how about the kids not noticeably aging during the four-year setting. Otherwise, Secretariat is a quality feel-good movie that one always expects from The Disney Company and is recommended.

This movie puts you right in the saddle of one of the greatest racehorses of all time -- a movie the whole family can enjoy.

Author: labeckley from United States
27 November 2010

I have little interest in movies and haven't been to a movie theater in years, but I did go to see Secretariat because that was such a big event for my horse-loving 13 year old self back in the 70's. I loved the cinematography of the movie – how it put you right into the race with one of the most phenomenal horses of the century. I particularly loved the close-ups while those passages from the Book of Job were being recited:

"He paweth in the valley, and rejoiceth in his strength: He goeth out to meet the armed men. He mocketh at fear, and is not dismayed Neither turneth he back from the sword The quiver rattleth against him, The flashing spear and the javelin He swalloweth the ground with fierceness and rage…"

It really captured the beauty and power of the racehorse—to me, the movie was worth going for those scenes alone.

The movie did contain inaccuracies and omissions (for example, I found it humorous that Pancho Martin, the trainer, was featured as if he were Sham's owner, trading barbs directly with Penny – where were Sham's owners? And that the movie made it appear that Sham won the Wood Memorial, when Angle Light was the victor, and that the coin toss over Secretariat was presented in a highly simplified manner. However, I do understand that Disney had to simplify the story line so as not to confuse the average viewer (especially after spending 20 minutes trying to explain to my husband the complexities of the way Secretariat was actually acquired in the famous coin toss.)

To me, it wasn't at all surprising that Disney developed the movie in the way they did. When I first noticed a movie was coming out about Secretariat, my immediate thought was – "What is there to say?" I wondered what there could be in the story with which a typical American movie goer could identify. This was no story of an underdog who came out of nowhere; if such an amazing horse was going to come in to being, it happened exactly in the way anyone would expect–a colt with the bloodlines of some of the best Thoroughbreds in the entire world, bred by wealthy people in Kentucky and Virginia. Secretariat was two year old Horse of the Year, and part of a racing stable that had the previous years Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner,Riva Ridge. No surprises in this story. It was clever to develop the story angle focusing on his owner, Penny Chenery, and her struggles against adversity as she brought Secretariat to the races.

I was initially no fan of Secretariat's while he was racing--I was rooting for Sham all through the triple crown races, and at the time, often felt like the only one who wanted Sham to win. I worked at a riding stable in Virginia at the time and it seemed everyone was a huge fan of Secretariat – there was so much hype and excitement over him. All you heard in the media was about the "big red machine" and how invincible he was. So for me, it was a breath of fresh air to hear about this horse from California named Sham who could be a worthy opponent for Secretariat. Secretariat seemed too beautiful and perfect, and I resented the fact that everyone was calling him by Man O' War's old nickname, "Big Red."

I admired Sham's tremendous spirit. (Perhaps I was also partial because "Sham" is the name of the Godolphin Arabian in Marguerite Henry's books-- after all, I was 13.) There's been much made in reviews of the movie over how Frank "Pancho" Martin came across as the "bad guy" because of all his boasting about Sham. It is true that he did boast about Sham, but for those of us who were fans of the horse and were weary of hearing all the time about "Big Red," it was absolutely delightful– I for one loved it.

The truth is, the real underdog in the Secretariat-Sham competition was Sham. I'm not at all surprised that Pancho's boasting was spun out of proportion in the movie to make him appear villainous, because the movie-makers had to jump through hoops to make the real underdogs appear like the villains. Let's face it – Sham's owners and trainers may not have had quite the wealth and connections of Secretariat's team – it's possible you could find a much more riveting "rags to riches" story in Pancho's background than in Penny Chenery's (she was an heiress, after all). Amidst the onslaught of publicity over the super-horse Secretariat, to me, Pancho stood like a David against Goliath passionately defending his own amazing horse.

In addition, Sham was racing on the West Coast when the very best racehorses supposedly raced on the East coast. Sham was not blessed with Secretariat's charisma or beauty – but he was a kind, extremely game horse. Though I will admit, even given all that, Sham was not a perfect underdog because he, too, just like Secretariat, was bred at Clairborne Farms in Kentucky.

Though I was and will always be a fan of Sham, when I saw Secretariat blow the rest of the field away in the Belmont Stakes, winning by 31 lengths, I was overcome with a sense of awe at having witnessed a once in a lifetime demonstration of searing power, speed, and beauty. And I fell under Secretariat's spell and became a fan of his, as well.

I'm glad Disney made this movie -- they did a nice job. It's one that the whole family can enjoy.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]