Hachi: A Dog's Tale (2009) Poster

You will love it.
rahulrathaur-5676013 February 2018
This movie is something else, from direction to the actors even the music. The do's performance was flawless. I don't easily cry, but this movie made me not only sob but also cry shouting the name "Hachi". Maybe it was just a dog but the impact of the movie makes even grown up's cry. My Dad and my Mom too cried after watch this movie. It's true what is said in the movie. Even a dog can be a hero. This dog is my hero.

You guys will love this movie, keep a case of tissue by your side. YOU WILL NEED IT. A must watch movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A historic cinematic experience like no other!
wille-388-1002618 February 2018
Hachi: A Dogs Tale is a masterpiece and a classic. It will move you to tears, and make you laugh. It will even exite you - yes, despite what you might think, there actually are moments of genuine suspense in this movie! It's by no means a thriller, but it still manages to get your heart pumping! I almost jumped out of my seat during the scene in the garage! People need to see this movie, movies like this just don't come around often. In some ways, it even changed my own life for the better. When thinking about Hachi, I always strive to be better than I am, to never give up, and to always believe that anything is possible. This might be the most important movie you will ever watch! It really has everything, an exiting, thrilling and heartbreaking story, lovealbe and relatable characters that are incredibly portrayed by Richard Gere and Joan Allen. This is without a doubt Richard Gere at his absolute best. The fact that he never won the Oscar for this is an outrage. It should be studied (and probably is) in acting schools everywhere because what they have managed to achieve here is nothing short of magical! Every scene, every cut is brilliantly concieved, there are nothing in this movie that is filler or unnecessary. You sit on your toes and are constantly floored by just how magnificent this movie really is. It will entertain you while at the same time cause you stop and think about what's really important in life. I will cause you to question your very own existence, to think about what is possible, what a dog is capable of and what really makes us all human. WOW! This film is history. It stands alone. It raises the bar for how movies as a medium should be viewed in our society. See this movie now, and then see it again a thousand times. Then watch it again.
A Really Emotional Movie
argyris-black18 January 2018
There are movies which don't bore you as many times as you see them. This is such a movie.

The movie shows how much the attachment between human and animal can reach. The loyalty of the dog to its master and the treatment and respect of the protagonist to his dog just overwhelms you with emotions.

The movie is just perfect.
BORING! DON'T WATCH IT
rhymegun12 January 2018
I watced it and I was bored. It doesn't deserve 8,1 IMDB. It is long. Very long. I started sleeping in 45. Minutes.If you wanna sleep, It is best choice for you.
Touching story!
jvega39031 December 2017
Every time I watch this film it touches my heart! The true story of Hachi the dog its definitely one of the best Japanese stories and I believe last year The Statue of hachi was replace with hachi and his owner together! That was such a beautiful thing to behold!

I totally recommend this film!
BS-100 jr17d006
jrd-874395 December 2017
A Dog's Tale

This is one of the best films that i have ever watched.By the end of the movie i couldn't even stop crying after 10minutes from the final.It really is a sad story.Adults will relate to the story of life long friendship.I recommend this to people of all ages.This is a must see movies for every dog lovers. We could all learn something from this movie.
Extremely manipulative
luxerus3 December 2017
If you want to cry for the sake of crying, then watch this movie. You know it's going to be sad, and sad it is.

There were moments towards the end where small plot details made no sense, but I'm not going to spoil the movie for you. It seems like the plot was made that way it is in order to make the movie as sad as possible, and it seems most of the crying audience don't realize the flaws, perhaps because their eyes are too wet.

Apart from that, it is a well-made movie, and it has a really nice doggo, so it still warrants a 7/10.
Incredible
microcare3 December 2017
This is a timely tale, based on a true story, and truly reaches an all time high in portraying the bond between a man and his dog. It delivers in so many ways telling a simple yet powerful story and Hachiko truly steals the show. This might not be appropriate for children under 12 years of age, and indeed its difficult for anybody of any age. The sadness is riveting. Anyone who has ever owned a dog will appreciate this movie from start to finish and along the way you will become totally consumed with what is in front of you. As many reviewers have warned, be prepared for an evening full of tears and far after that as well. It is a movie classic. Richard Gere and Joan Allen are fine. Her rendezvous with Hachi late in the movie is as emotional as it gets. Jason Alexander does a fine job in his supporting role as always This is an unforgettable movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
We identify with Hachi and feel compassion for him, especially in his later years, because we, too, know what it means to be separated from our Beloved.
srawda-101747329 November 2017
As he grows up, Hachi bonds more deeply with his human friend. The dog is so devoted to the professor that he accompanies him every day to the train station for his commute to work. At night, Hachi waits just outside the station doors for him to return for a joyous reunion and the walk home.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"You want to wait for him, don't you?"
classicsoncall29 November 2017
Oh my, hold everything. You want to be prepared to watch this movie with plenty of Kleenex on hand. It really does resonate for viewers who have a special bond with their pets, but I think it probably moves a few hearts of those who don't share hearth and home with a favorite canine. It's a bit ironic actually, to think about the picture's impact on a person, when a dog's reaction to it's missing owner invites more sympathy than one feels for the owner himself, who died of a heart attack.

Well, not to get too morbid, this was a sensitively told tale that one finds astonishingly hard to believe when it's revealed that Hachi celebrated his master for ten years after the man's death by showing up daily at a train station at the end of the work day to greet him. Based on an actual event that occurred in Japan in the 1920's, the film has been Westernized for an American audience with Richard Gere in the lead role as a university professor who adopts a wayward Akita puppy found wandering around a train station. But the real star is the pup who matures into the adult Hachi and takes full possession of the viewer's emotions on the way to a heart tugging finish. It's a family friendly film that you're not likely to forget for a long time once you've seen it.
Best movie
dizzzlizzz25 November 2017
This movie makes me cry every time i watch it and so far the only movie to do so. This is by far my favorite movie, it is so well done and i think it deserves a much better rating to something up to 8.9 or 9. This movie is not a disappointment in anyway possible and you will not regret watching it.
Watch before die
samira250218 October 2017
This is the movie which you definitely have to see before you die and I am telling you I am not exaggerating. I guarantee that you will know what is LOVE and the love is what you need most. The only movie I cried and I wished so much for the happy ending. Then I saw what exactly is Happy Ending.
respect, hachico
zheer-rashed22 September 2017
one of the most touching movies I've ever seen, perfectly directed, acted, and the sound editing and theme music had been a great gift to the audience, personally, when my grandmother died I did not cry, even a drop of tear No it did not fall but for this movie, I cried like a child and I was looking at the door just in case my mom would come in and not seeing me like that.
what a movie!!!
rajkumarkar31 August 2017
I can't stop crying while watching this movie. After professor died and the dedication and love shows by the dog (Hatchi) It is unimaginable. Most important thing that this movie hit me is because it is a true story. only crying crying and crying all I did after watching this movie
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Touching and sensitive film based on a heartwarming true story happened in Japan
ma-cortes4 August 2017
This is a true story of faith , devotion , fidelity and undying love between a handsome master and his trustworthy dog ; both of them will forge a special kind of loyalty . A college professor's (Richard Gere) bond with the abandoned dog he takes into his home along with his wife (Joan Allen) and daughter (Sarah Roemer) . At the beginning the spouse isn't happy about it , but after failing to find the owner , she lets the reliable dog stay . Later on , a Japanese friend (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa) reads the dog's tag - "Hachiko" (from the mountainous northern regions of Japan) or "Eight," a lucky number. Parker attempts to teach the dog to fetch , but the loving animal doesn't want to learn . This very beloved friend would accompany his master to the train station every day and return each afternoon to greet him after work .

It is based on Hachiko, the Japanese dog that waited for his dead master to return for nine years , this "Hachiko: A Dog's Story" results to be a charming take off of ¨Hachiko¨ film (1987) by Kaneto Shindô starred by the great actor Tatsuya Nakadai. Enjoyable and provoking film that captures qualities that make this Japanese picture a classic dealing with the true story about a dog's loyalty to its master , as tragedy tests that loyalty even after his death and no animals were harmed . This is a new classic for a new generation , a thrilling saga of courage and loyalty . The animals in this film were in no way harmed or mistreated , being portrayed by three dogs : Chico , Layla , and Forrest and all scenes in which they appeared were under strict supervision with utmost concern for their handling . Narrated quite energetically , as the story is efficiently told and through its profound and wizened eyes . The evocative scenery , photography and music enhance the story of ¨Hachiko¨ and its adventures , sufferings and adversities . The tale is treated in good sense and high sensibility , environment , animals , landscapes combine to enhance the glories of faithfulness . The breed of Hachi the dog is called Akita , and it's a rare breed . At the times of Hachi, there were only 30 living Akita dogs in all of Japan . On May 19 , 2012, a bronze statue of the Japanese dog Hachiko was unveiled at the train depot at Woonsocket Depot Square where the film was shot ; it is an exact replica of the bronze statue of Hachiko which resides in front of Shibuya Station in Japan.

Good cast full of fine American actors such as : Richard Gere , Joan Allen , Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa , Sarah Roemer , Erick Avari and Jason Alexander . Glowing and glamorous cinematography by Ron Fortunato . Sensitive as well as emotive musical score by piano composed and played by Jan A.P. Kaczmarek . The music all plays with the soul , it is so delicately composed , performed, and chosen for the movie that it is worth seeing just to enjoy the soundtrack . The motion picture was marvelously directed by Lasse Hallström . Lasse is a prestigious director and writer, especially known for What's eating Gilbert Grape? (1993), The cider house rule (1999) , Chocolat (2000) , Casanova (2005) , Salmon fishing in the Yemen (2011) and this Hachiko (2009) ; and he has been married to Lena Olin .
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A pack of tissue is definitely not enough
o-3154627 June 2017
Best dog movie, there is no need a lot of conversations in this movie and it's enough to make you to cry for non stop. If you really like dogs, please watch this movie.You will learn how to build good relationships with your dogs.You simply need to love your dogs and make them one of the members of your family. Then your dogs will love you and follow you anywhere.

Hachi was a Japanese dog.Hachi was born in Japan. He was so loyal to his owner that he was with him everywhere.Today, there is a Hachi's statue at Shibuya station in Tokyo. After this American version Hachi movie, a tatue of the dog, Hachi, was installed in front of Woonsocket Depot Square,NY where the movie was filmed.

It was a very nice short film.The story is from Japan. Japanese love this story because Hachi looks like some samurai who was loyal to his lord and died for the lord. If you love the dogs, please watch this movie.

Emotional and beautiful movie, the real best friend of humans. ---Yidioo
So very emotional
Grace Singletary18 June 2017
I never saw this movie when it was released and didn't know anything about it when I just happened upon it last night on a local channel.

I was totally unprepared emotionally for this film. As a person who feels things very deeply I have remained so very sad about the longing Hachi felt for his owner even the day after watching. I just can't get it out of my mind. It broke my heart that Hachi so grieved the loss of his human companion that his grief lasted over 9 years. Still crying.

I would not be able to watch this movie again and sadly think it will haunt me for a very, very long time. I love animals so much and wish I could save them all from heartache and suffering.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you do not have a dog you can not go to see a movie like this.
viveredifilm15 June 2017
If you do not have a dog you can not go to see a movie like this. If you do not love dogs, if you do not love them like a child, this movie is not for you. A dog is like a son. If you love it the dog will love you so much. Cry for a movie like this is nice. A dog loves like a son, more than a son. And I have a male son, and I have a female dog. So I have two children I love so much.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is why "true stories" need to be embellished.
nerdydad120 May 2017
This is not a happy movie, or even an enjoyable one. If you're looking for a sweet movie where the dog does something heroic, forget it. If, on the other hand, you're looking for a movie which meanders along, where a dog waits in vain for his dead owner, and there is no heroic or happy resolution, then this is the movie for you. I understand that this is based on a true story, and real life doesn't always have a happy ending - but that's why real life get embellished: to make it interesting.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hachi: A Dog's Tale
I remember seeing the trailer for this film in the cinema, I remember the leading actor and the dog, I didn't remember it was a fact-based film, so I was looking forward to trying it, directed by Lasse Hallström (What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Cider House Rules, Dear John). Basically schoolboy Ronnie (Kevin DeCoste) has to give an oral presentation about a personal hero, his subject is his grandfather's dog, Hachikō, his classmates laugh at first when he begins, but he continues and tells the story. The story flashbacks to several years earlier, in Bedridge, in suburban New York City, Ronnie's grandfather was college music/performing arts Professor Parker Wilson (Richard Gere), he catches the train to and from work every day. One day, an Akita puppy sent from Japan has escaped its cage and is lost at the train station, on a routine day Parker finds the puppy, he takes him home intending to return it to the station and find its owner the following day. Parker learns the next day that the puppy was being shipped to an unknown location, the shipping tag was lost, but he is wearing a collar with a symbol, his Japanese professor friend Ken (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa) translates the symbol as saying Hachikō, which means good fortune. They do not find the owner, and Parker's wife Cate (Joan Allen) does not think they should keep the puppy, now given the name Hachi, but they do keep him, and a year later the dog and Parker have become very close. Hachi refuses to do dog-like activities, like catch and fetch, one day Hachi follows Parker to the train station for work, he refuses to leave until Parker walks him home, so the dog waits patiently for Parker to return, Parker is surprised to see him there, but this becomes a daily routine. One day, Hachi waits patiently for Parker as the train arrives, he is unaware that Parker has died of a cerebral haemorrhage during a lecture in class, Hachi continues to wait in the snow for hours, until Parker's son-in-law Michael (Robbie Collier Sublett) comes to get him. Although everyone tries to tell Hachi that Parker has died, Hachi doesn't understand, so he returns to the train station, there he waits every day, hoping for the return of Parker. As time passes, Cate sells the house and Hachi is taken to live with her daughter Andy (Sarah Roemer), Michael and their baby Ronnie, however Hachi escapes and finds his way back to the station, to sit in his usual spot. Andy takes Hachi back home, but sees how depressed the dog is, she lets him out to return to the station, there he waits every day, and sleeps in the rail yard every night, he is fed daily by the train station workers that knew Parker. Hachi becomes notable for waiting outside the station everyday, a journalist makes a newspaper article, Ken visits Hachi after reading the newspaper. Cate returns to town to visit Parker's grave on the tenth anniversary of his death, she meets Ken, she is stunned to find a now elderly Hachi still waiting outside the train station, overcome with grief she sits by Hachi's side, she returns home and tells now ten-year-old Ronnie all about Hachi. Meanwhile Hachi the dog continues to wait at the station, through all seasons, until his body can wait no longer, he is last seen lying in the snow, alone and still, his last vision is of Parker finally appearing and picking him up, leading him into the afterlife. Ronnie concludes on why Hachi is his hero, his class is moved by the story, with many who laughed at first holding back tears, after school he is met by his father and his own puppy, also named Hachi, Ronnie and Hachi walk down the same route where Parker and Hachi spent much of their time together. Also starring Seinfeld's Jason Alexander as Carl, The Mummy's Erick Avari as Jasjeet, Davenia McFadden as Mary Anne and Tora Hallström (Lasse's daughter) as Heather. Gere is perhaps unusual casting, but is actually perfect with his time on screen as the dog's owner, Allen does well also, the other supporting stars are fine being nice people as well, but you cannot deny it is the adorable Akita dog that is the star of the show, the real dog had a statue that stands outside a train station. When you know that the story is true, about a loving relationship between a man and his dog, and then the dog showing great dedication for his owner, even after death, it makes this story so sweet, it is not too sentimental or slushy, it is tragic, but it is a wonderfully touching and heartwarming family drama based on a true story. Good!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Viewer BEWARE: This is a Lump-in-the-throat-powerful flick!
huggibear17 May 2017
It is NOT for the faint heart at all! Very touching movie indeed! Tears will flow and you'll need your tissue box for sure. This movie is so darn good though. The journey of a sweet, Akita dog from Japan to the U.S. I don't often get this emotional during a movie, but Wow! Amazing is not a good enough word to describe this one. You've got to see it for yourself to get the full appreciation and I'm not a dog owner, nor have I ever cared to own one. What an emotional journey this dog took though. And to know this was actually based on a true story, made the movie even that more special, topping my list of favorites viewed thus far. The end does reveal who the movie was about. One cannot even compare this movie to any of Nicholas Spark's written novels turned into incredibly powerful 'tear-jerker' romance movies. Everyone, if you can handle this movie, don't miss out on it. Sometimes love runs deeper than the imagination can fathom and this wasn't imagination at all, this was real! I want that kind of love! Someone who will always be there waiting in anticipation of me and even going out of their way for me, to see me before I come home. That kind of love cannot be topped! This is a perfect 10!
Boring mush film
simon_westberg6 May 2017
Had to write this review to balance out the flood of positive reviews that I scrolled through.

This must be the most overrated movie I've come across on IMDb. Rarely do I watch a movie with this high rating and find myself wanting to turn it off before getting halfway into it.

Finally when something happens in the story, the characters are so underdeveloped that you end up not caring. One of the things that annoyed me the most about this movie was when the director kept filming the dogs face for emotional effect. It's crazy to me to imagine people crying from something as dumb as that.

In summary, just an incredibly boring mush film owing its high rating to people getting emotional just because a dog is in it.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Emotional and bound to make many weep
jackallen-6705516 March 2017
Like a Zen meditation, this movie has a calm pace that soothes viewers. That is, until tragedy occurs and Hachi's true colors shine through. Not a dry eye in the house - but not irritating schmaltz either. It starts off with the cute dog, named Hachiko, just prancing and playing around with Richard Gere and wife Joan Allen. Hachi: A Dog's Tale is not some cheap Marley & Me, or some meh-ish A Dog's Purpose. It is bound to give you a hard time to get over Hachi's love for his master, and the hope that he would come back. This movie will make you love your pug, Labrador, husky, beagle, German Shepard,Rottweiler, boxer, doberman, chow chow, Pomeranian, or st. bernard.
This Movie Needs To Be Shown Wherever Dogs Are Eaten
Sam Sloan13 March 2017
Yes, I cried and I could simply write another review saying I did what everyone else did who watched this movie but I want to add something else no one has mentioned. This was a true story of a dog that had lived and died in 1934 with the last ten years of its life spent at a train station waiting for his deceased owner to return who never can in this life, but only in the next. And that reunion will leave you in tears, not only for the happy and deserved reunion between Hachi and his owner, but anyone we have loved and lost and imagined and hoped awaited them.

But if the reunion in our next life only exists between humans, I for one would be sorely disappointed not to have my own pets I have loved and lost and awaiting me at a place some have called the rainbow bridge. But this reunion between Hachi and his owner takes place where he has loyally and patiently awaited for ten years through cold and warmth, rain and snow. At the end of the movie we learn the true Hachi was a dog named Hachiko that lived in Japan. A statue of the dog has been placed there in a pose sitting and waiting as he had been seen for the last ten long years of his life, living for no other purpose than to reunite with the person he loved.

I am often sent letters from animal rights groups asking me to help stop the dog meat trade in East Asia, Korea especially. I have been to Korea and and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I could only stay away from the markets I knew where it was going on to shield my eyes from something I knew I couldn't change. The practice I've heard seems to be dying out as a new generation shows a greater affection for dogs and an inclination for fast food, though the practice still exists with an estimated three million dogs each year being killed and eaten. It is in such places this movie needs to be shown. It would be a wonderful legacy for Hachiko if his loyalty and devotion could be rewarded by helping to change how dogs are treated not only in East Asia but everywhere in the world.