IMDb > InAlienable (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

InAlienable More at IMDbPro »

InAlienable

Author: cdlegend40 from Florida
12 November 2008

Independent films are becoming more popular in this country. I, for one, really love to see independent films. The latest film I've seen in Walter Konig's InAlienable staring Richard Hatch. The movie was very interesting as far as Sci-fi is concerned, but what really sold this film was the outstanding performance by Richard "Captain Apollo" Hatch. He was stupendous! Some of the best work I've seen him do in a long time. The film cost $3 dollars to download and watch. It was well worth the money. Although the film seemed to be a bit choppy, the audience can follow the action and story line. I would have liked to see a bit smoother film. I was disappointed with the ending. It was a twist, but absolutely not what I expected!!! The movie was only partly resolved when it ended. I do recommend this independent film to others and guarantee that they'll enjoy Mr. Hatch's performance!

Something different and worth watching

Author: larkinoz from Australia
9 July 2010

Firstly, I enjoyed this and I'm very fussy about what I watch but this film held my attention throughout and was well acted. Yes, the special effects could have been better and yes the ending could perhaps have been a little clearer for clots like me but overall it was entertaining and quite interesting because of the various legal and moral issues it raised.

Put it this way, before I chose to watch this I browsed through scores and scores of movies and could not find one that interested me. Most of the movies made, especially modern ones, are garbage. I wonder why they bother and wonder even more why people even watch them. But this movie, humble as it is, was better than most. It's worth a watch.

Not What I Expected, Better Than It Could Have Been

Author: gavin6942 from United States
23 December 2009

A scientist (Richard Hatch) who experiments on lab animals is given a meteorite fragment that contains an alien life form. Unknown to him, it crawls inside his body while he's asleep and due to some interesting scientific stuff, the man becomes pregnant. Although his boss and the Feds want to destroy his offspring, he sees it as his legitimate son and fights to protect it.

There's plenty of cheesy acting from a variety of notable sci-fi faces. At least one character from each "Star Trek" series is in this movie (I dare you to recognize them all). The plot is a bit flaky, and you can question how a man can give birth (they do attempt to explain this). The special effects are good at times, odd at others. The whole Charlie Chaplin thing is pretty weird.

What will disappoint many people is that half of this film is more of a courtroom drama than a science fiction film. There's an alien and all that, but the real focus of the film is debating what is or is not human and whether it has rights or not. Some of the arguments are preposterous and while they hold up in this film would never hold up in real life. The attempt to compare aliens to minorities is weak, ignoring the fact that foreigners are not given the rights of American citizens, and neither are animals. The only chance they can make their case is if they successfully have Ben (the alien) declared the naturally-born son of the main character, which is a stretch.

There's some parallel here to Larry Cohen's "It's Alive", although I'm sure this was not intentional. In that film (or one of its sequels), a father fights for his son's life in court despite most people thinking the kid to be a monster, as his DNA was radically altered by chemicals. That case would be a little easier to make, ignoring the alien aspects and the born from a man thing...

I enjoyed "Inalienable". Do I think it was amazing? No, not really. But it's not bad and worth a watch if you're into science fiction. The writers really put in a serious effort to make this sound plausible, though they clearly don't know how the law works. If you watch SyFy channel movies, which is where you're likely to see this if you don't rent it, this is better than most of the fluff they show.

Interesting story, nice visit with some SF friends

Author: Mandemus from The Armory, Ape City
6 June 2009

I bought the film on disc from writer Walter Koenig's site, and was satisfied with the purchase.

InAlienable is a solid science fiction story which deals mostly with the moral and legal questions of human rights. Does the alien have inalienable "human rights"? The movie plays out like a long episode of the 1990s "The Outer Limits" TV series, so if you are a fan of those stories, then this low-budget film will be familiar territory. I enjoyed catching up with some actors from SF TV and film, like Marina Sirtis (Star Trek: TNG), Richard Hatch (Battlestar Galactica), and Erick Avari (Stargate and Planet of the Apes [2001]). The cameos from other Trek alumni like J.G. Hertzler and Tim Russ were a nice touch.

Although the film was produced on a shoestring budget, there is nothing embarrassingly bad about it, like you might expect from B-movies. The creature effects are fine and handled well, and do not distract from the real story, which is at its heart a morality play.

Ultimately worth it for me

Author: silentpyjamas from United States
14 July 2010

This may seem like a high amount of stars based on the comments I've seen on the boards for this film, but I have to say that as a bad movie buff and a big sci fi geek that I liked this film.

The beginning starts off kind of slowly(ish) and for the first hour or so I was disappointed in the lack of bloody alien-facilitated death. When it became courtroom drama time I thought I was going to fall over. At some point, however, this movie started to get to me. I feel like the acting improved in the latter portion of the movie and I quite enjoyed the revelation about the animosity between Shilling and Eric Norris. At that moment I realized that Shilling is one miserable and vindictive guy. I also ended up enjoying (while yelling at the screen) Marina Sirtis' turn as an angry attorney. Her final screamy mini-monologue where she was shaking with rage was pretty good as a person so bent on winning that she could really give a darn that she's calling a kid a monster to his face.

I think that what got me were a couple things: the movie got amusing around the time of the internet montage, when I felt kind of like "See? They're showing us that all sorts of normal people totally care about cute alien kids!" The comedienne segment following that was pretty good as well and if that lady's a real comic I'd go see her. The civil rights arguments, however, and the testimony about the Writ of Habeas Corpus (I love the law, sorry) were what really sucked me in. Sure it's not the best movie but there was a (valid and for me, emotional) point, and I liked it. The end made me cry and as a parent that's what really stuck. There's nothing like seeing your child hurting and nothing anyone says or does matters when it comes to one's child. I felt like this was the most real part of the whole film and while my movie buddy was horrified and claimed this one is a stinker, the ending was worth the whole thing to me in terms of emotional payoff.

So yeah, it's not an Oscar winner and yeah it's a B-flick and it's kind of slow going (and really, the lack of alien rampage made me a little bummed) but I think that the performances at the climax of the film lent it some emotional punch that I haven't gotten from "better" films. I know a lot of people disagree with me and I can totally understand why. I liked it though. (And Gary Graham <3<3<3)

A unique courtroom drama for sci-fi geeks

Author: Richard Hawes from Kent, England
2 August 2010

Changes saved. Share this photo with friends, even if they're not on Facebook.

.Although the casting suggests this movie was tailor-made for distribution at Sci-Fi conventions, INALIENABLE (2007) is a unique B-movie that marries genre conventions with courtroom drama. Star Trek alumnus Walter Koenig reunited with his Moontrap (1989) director Robert Dyke and roped in a bunch of fellow convention guests (from not only the Star Trek franchise but also shows such as V and Alien Nation) to bring his screenplay to life. Premiering online before eventually hitting DVD, the movie was made for approximately $1.5 million and the limitations of the production are evident in the handful of sparse sets and limited visual effects. At the heart of the movie, which is about a male scientists who is infected by an alien parasite and gives birth to a new lifeform, is mainly notable for a great, emotional performance from one-time Battlestar Galactica actor Richard Hatch. With an emphasis on drama rather than spectacle, this is a curious genre-hybrid with a surprisingly downbeat and sudden ending.

Seriously?

Author: Neb Radojkovic from Canada
5 July 2012

Seriously? You are really saying:"The movie was very interesting as far as Sci-fi is concerned, but what really sold this film was the outstanding performance by Richard "Captain Apollo" Hatch"? The worst part of the movie was a really poor quality of acting. Story was somewhat interesting but everything else was close to ridiculous. Not that there is nothing that sold the film but the film is a shame. I feel sorry for Marina Sirtis and Eric Avari because they were the only ones that did do some actual acting. Yes, Courtney Peldon was sexy but in a bimbo kind of way - no real intellect detected. This movie was a great waste of time and if it was 1954 maybe it would be appreciated as a third class film.

Is this a serious movie, or satire?

Author: FridayTN from United States
27 August 2014

I watched this movie on Hulu because of the great list of sci-fi actors in it, and because of the subject matter.

But if Mr. Koenig intended for this to be a serious movie, he falls on his face. The acting is terrible, there is no character development, and the crude special effects and makeup make it look like something a bunch of kids did on a Saturday afternoon.

The film shows characters riding in a car, but it's done entirely (and clumsily) in CGI! Did they not have an actual road to film? And the makeup on the "alien" looked like something I could do at home with supplies from Walmart. The sets look as fake as those in a terrible soap opera.

I kept hoping it was satire and was waiting for the punch line, but no. The motivations of the characters are not consistent, and seem to change at a whim. The actors seem to be drudging through the script.

Unless you are a true masochist, avoid this movie. It will ruin any respect you might have (or had) for these actors.

Powerful and painful at the same time.

Author: dionjuneijeh from Sweden
6 April 2011

WOW!!

Richard Hatch played his character,Eric so well. I really felt for Eric, he loses his first child and loses another child again. Its totally heartbreaking, but the movie shows how cruel people can be to something or someone, that is unknown and how some people can embrace the unknown with love and care.I wish that more movies like InAlienable and Alien Nation could be produced, explore the possibility of male pregnancy.

The movie looked like a documentary film, there was many close ups but maybe thats what made the movie more powerful, it looked real. This movie is one of my top five best Pregnancy movies/series along with Alien Nation, that deals with male pregnancy.

I hope this idea of male pregnancy gets explored even more in the present and future.

Don't waste your time.

Author: Sergey Shepelev (temotor@gmail.com) from Russia
19 May 2010

What i expected to see: - effects: something not so far from Hollow Man (2000) (8 years later), - story: well some sensible scenario, sensible facts, decisions. Or at least, pure fantasy with no attitude for realism.

What i saw: - 1/3 of the time is spent in the court. Is this a lawyer training movie? - effects: two cheap dolls of From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) level. 12 years passed. I don't ask for crazy flying dragons, please, no. But in 2008 you could at least make the alien have realistic moves. - story: it has some sense, occasionally. That's all. More like a set of loosely coupled scenes, like 2012: Supernova (2009). - actor play: that was fine actually. For a nonsense story they probably even played it very good.