IMDb > Stiletto (2008/II) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stiletto

Stiletto More at IMDbPro »

Brutal Film...

Author: Nightmare-Maker (evilashshotgun@yahoo.co.uk) from United Kingdom, Colchester.
22 December 2008

I just watched STILETTO, a film about a female assassin who is killing members of a ruthless criminal organization. One of her victims survives, a crime boss whom she shared a past with but her betrayal breaks his heart, so he hires a crooked homicide cop to track her down before the police get to her.

I read nothing but negative reviews about this, so I am the first to write a positive review! It's a very good film...if you like violence! It is brutal, I mean you get savage beatings, lots of stabbings people getting shot (including one brilliant scene!) and best of all it's all on-screen.

The acting is fine by all, I really don't know what people expect from a film, if you think you like the sound of it going by my write up, I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

A Powerhouse Vigalente Flick

Author: chicagopoetry from United States
6 January 2009

Stiletto kicks ass. It's the chick from La Femme Nikita up against the hilarious gangsters from Ghost Dog with the violent special effects of Friday The 13th thrown in (in particular, a scene involving an electric sander and another involving a tire iron had me exclaiming "Whoa!" out loud). Our hero goes on a real I Spit On Your Grave rampage against an all star cast of bad boys. This one is not for the children. Every other word starts with F and every other minute someone is getting murdered in inventive ways. But for the adults, it's a whole lot of fun, especially because, even though it serves as a parody of the genre, it isn't resorting to any slapstick or forced campiness. I liked it. If you like gangster movies and horror movies, this will be your cup of tea.

Kill Kill Kill

Author: helljoy1 from United States
7 March 2009

I had to write this after reading a few reviews. Especially the guy who says he quit watching after 30 Minutes. What do you want a Oscar performance. This movie is better than a lot of the trash with bigger names in it. This movie is non stop action. Very brutal killings done really well. Even a couple ways I've never seen before and I've seen a lot. I just don't want anyone not to see it due to one idiot. What don't you like revenge flicks? Lack of adventure? Sit back and enjoy something different. So what if the story isn't A-1. The short attention span of most will be consumed with this one. A lot of familiar faces. Check it out. Not for the faint at heart or those with a weak stomach

" If you're gonna kill someone, Kill them! , don't talk, just kill them! "

Author: thinker1691 from USA
9 August 2010

After watching hundreds of films, you almost know what's going to happen next and often becomes somewhat predictable. Not so with this film. The minute you recognize the main movie star and his acting is par, you can sense the movie is going to be interesting. That's what this film is all about. It was entitled 'The Velvet Spider' 's abroad, but " Stiletto " in America and tells the story of a vengeful female assassin (Stana Katic) who believes some mobsters and their leaders are responsible for her sister's death. However, the main gangster is unaware of her assumptions or her quest, is only concern with the recovery of his two million dollars. Although aware of the assassin, he believes a single cop (Paul Sloan) can stop her, if not his top hit men (Michael Biehn and William Forsythe) in his organization will. The movie is exciting, action-packed and strewed with murder, violence killings and general mayhem. The actors in the cast are superb and very convincing. It's not often a director like Nick Vallelomga and a writer like Paul Sloan are teamed to create a gritty film like this one. ****

Not bad at all

Author: Vavavoommm from United Kingdom
21 September 2013

I was expecting very little from this, given the low rating here, but found myself pleasantly surprised. This is really a much better film than it's being given credit for. There's a depth of characterisation in the script that you don't find in the average B-movie. The cast, too, are well above average. Most of the actors are past-their-prime Hollywood notables who may not earn the big bucks any more but can still turn in a decent performance.

The action sequences are decent and, for the most part, realistic.

I was surprised to discover that the burly cop was actually the writer of the script.

All in all, this is definitely worth a watch.

Surprisingly good!

Author: teza_g-863-359466 from Hammersmith, London
5 July 2011

I waited a long time before actually watching this movie because of all the negative reviews, but I'm a big fan of Castle and therefore really wanted to watch something with Stana Katic in so I gave in to temptation. I must say I'm pleasantly surprised! Yes, it's violent but not in a gross way, it's all done with a purpose, it's not a splatter movie. I was only really chocked by one scene to be honest. Somehow I think it's more violent with all those gun shot movies.

I advice you to watch this movie! It does have a good story behind all the killing! There's some really interesting characters and you do feel for Stana Katic's character Raina.

Tiny spoiler;

Her actions might seem random at first but she does have a reason.

overly violent 3rd rate crime drama,released directly to DVD

Author: Jay Harris (sirbossman6969@yahoo.com) from United States
23 March 2009

First of all,There have been many worse films than this.

I did not expect this to be a film to remember, so I was not disappointed.

Years back the studios made this type of film to be shown as the lower half of a double bill, with a 69 minute running time. This film is a fast 99 minutes. It is very violent & bloody, what would you expect with the title. STILETTO.

Truthfully, the main reason I saw this was because of the star Tom Berenger. 20-30 years ago he was a HUNK.(Looking for Mr Goodbar & Platoon were just 2 of his real good films). He is (of course) much older& plays the nasty,mean crime boss, Tom is still good and does hold your interest. The rest of the acting & production values are only fair.

I am not even going to mention the leading lady by name.She is pretty & kills most of the cast,I doubt if she make many films.

If you remember Tom Berenger,& like them very bloody,profane and violent see it.

Ratings: ** (out of 4)52 points (out of 100) IMDb 4 (out of 10)

Guy runs with a bunch of clowns called "Nazis for Jesus".

Author: lastliberal from United States
23 March 2010

Raina (Stana Katic - "Castle", Quantum of Solace)is out for revenge. She takes it in the opening on a former lover (Tom Berenger), who manages to survive only, as he jokes, because of his lifestyle - a big belly! He puts Beck (Paul Sloan) on her tail, but she is hard to catch as she pops up all over the city like Jason, slashing her way through various bad guys, even Tom Sizemore, who imagines himself a player after leaving a group of Nazis who sell crack to teen girls before turning them out.

At the same time, we are seeing Amanda Brooks really do a dance on some others. She & her boyfriend Lee (Michael Biehn - Aliens, The Terminator) have an interesting way of removing tats; some massive gunfights, and lots more deaths.

A good slasher/gangster film.

Violent revenge flick has a great cast and rewards for those who'll take it on its own bloody terms

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
31 January 2009

Wickedly violent revenge drama with Tom Berenger as a Greek crime boss who, along with other people, is being hunted by a young Russian girl who used to be his mistress. The whys and who's of the affair take the full running time to unravel so I won't say more than that. What I will say is that this is a mean and nasty film with violence exploding usually in ways we least expect it, in a manner that is really in your face. This is a movie that makes you frequently sit up and go "whoa". Well stocked with a fantastic cast of character actors (William Forsythe, Michel Beihn, James Russo, Tom Sizemore among others) this is as solid a "B" crime film as I've seen recently. (and I mean B as in the classic definition of a B film, the sort that was carefully crafted to play on a double feature, that was made with care and not just thrown together). If there is any real flaw, or if there is going to be any point that may trouble some viewers it's that the film is very complex, or at least it doesn't reveal anything until the stand in for the audience, the cop working for Berenger, finds anything out. This makes for several scenes that seem like they are coming for left field, when in reality they are not. (I'm also sure that the end will leave some people annoyed, but I'm not one of them, I think it works). Worth a bucket of popcorn and a soda for anyone wanting a dark little crime film to "brighten" up their evening.

Straight to Video: The viewers win again

Author: slshusker from United States
29 October 2009

So,I skipped out of the office early today and fired up Showitme.

Wham, the first movie I ran into was just starting. STILETTO. The cast is filled with names and faces you'll immediately recognize. Hey, that makes the movie worth investing a bit of time to begin with.

Plot, who cares to begin with. The movie is dark and dreary with Mob affiliation and peeps getting whacked immediately. Watch it alone with a strong drink or six and in the evening.

Some may say the cast is beyond Over-The-Hill and Has-Beens. Tom Berringer as a Greek is a bit of a stretch; Stana Katic(Canadian) is great as the psycho-chick assassin, bent on revenge and killing anyone(males mostly), related to her anger and pain. Whatever.

The plot is about revenge...blah-blah-blah! I'd watch her cut vegetables. She can be/was seen on ABC's Castle. If you like hot brunettes, this is for you, plot be damned!

I watch a movie to be entertained and escape reality for a couple hours.

The cast of retro/comfortable characters let me do just that. Think Terminator, Platoon, etc.

There's not social lecture, just revenge, blood and advice. I'm only 45 minutes into the movie and I've already sent an email to a slimy acquaintance that can get ANY movie on DVD while it's still in the theater. The acquaintance loved Stiletto too! Preliminary audiences didn't, obviously. And now, back to the movie and another scotch, with Stana of course.