IMDb > Argo (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Argo

Argo More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 70: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

misunderstanding about great Iran

Author: likepars from Iran
31 March 2013

it was most ridiculous Oscar's movie i've ever seen in my 23 years of my life i bet the director don't know even where the Iran is located and what kind of people living there . Iranians people are the kindest humans around the galaxy they are the most cultural creatures ever exist . but their government is awful these days our new generation actually our youth people mostly are against the government . even our old generation their gold and their target of revolution was democracy not another king coming and one dictator goes another comes . the director wasn't allowed to judge about our people because our damn government and another goddamn king named Khomeini .

Lies and propaganda

Author: wouvin from Haarlem, The Netherlands
25 March 2013

My review was approved at first by IMDb, but then the next day they silently removed it without any notification! This NEVER happened to me or friends of mine before, so this movie must get a lot of bad reviews that they try to limit, I guess! Well here it is again, assuming IMDb "made a mistake" (which in this case is hard to imagine). To IMDb: If you do not place this review, that please re-instate the old approved one, thanks!

Mr. Affleck does his normal wooden acting, earns some millions, gets the awards they promised him, gets his head on the poster and DVD packaging etc for vanity reasons. And the rest of the team never thought about anything but the money they would earn from making this film, not about the effects of it.

Some effects:

Canadians hate that the escape looks like an American CIA operation, just Google: "Canadian Caper" and find the real info on Wikipedia. This film says it is based on a true story, but that is hardly the case.

Iranians hate that they are portrayed as stupid/bad guys, when they brought forth numerous arts, artists, and renowned scientists, and their land is used as only a background for riots, while they are peace-loving people just like you and me and their land has great nature and landscapes. Also the Persian Empire is the oldest empire in the world that has brought more to humanity than you know, just Google Persian contributions to humanity, the list is very long and nowhere near complete.

Everybody that is involved in making the world a better place will boycott these hate filled movies from Hollywood, especially with Ben Affleck and the producers of this film involved, but not exclusively.

Best tip: grab a camera yourself and make your own film that shows us the truth, instead of these Hollywood lies.

A lot of people have done this, and by now most people know that we all are ruled by non-tax paying corporations with puppet politicians on a leash. That is what globalization is about. For these people and organizations, you are only good for providing cheap workforce, paying taxes and spending your money, oh and to keep your mouth shut and belief their propaganda.

One day this whole system will collapse, cause hate and greed will only lead to more hate and greed.

Extremely disappointing!

Author: tgm1363
9 March 2013

I was really disappointed with Argo and more importantly really surprised when it won an Oscar. Above all, the thing that bothered me the most was how by showing the pictures of the real characters and those in the movies, they sent a message to the audience that everything was very close to reality and carefully thought about, whilst this was not the case at all. Apart from the events in the movies that never happened in reality such as the bazaar and the airport scenes, there were many other things that came across really fake. The Iranian accent of most characters were fake (ex's: Sahar the housekeeper of the Canadians, and some of the revolutionaries). Most Iranian women in the movie were wearing the black chaadors, but at the time a lot of women were still not wearing these (especially not the chaador) at the time. And even the way they were wearing their chadors and acting like Ninjas was really unreal. Everything was just so so fake!!! Traffic in the streets at that time, really doubt it! Apart from these inaccuracies, the movies was really slow and missing intervals of ten minutes here and there would not really take much from the movie.

Utterly boring American drivel... How many Oscars???

Author: IMDB_Steve from United Kingdom
5 March 2013

Well Argo just goes to show that if you make a movie about how great the US is over the tyranny of the Islamic world, you'll win a handful of Oscars guaranteed!!!

The first few scenes got a bit of tension going and actually showed some promise that the film might deliver but it soon faded away and was quickly replaced by just endless boring twaddle... I think I fell asleep twice!

I was so looking forward to this film but it just didn't go anywhere! I would like to be able to write more but there's just not much to say. I'm sure the real life story behind the film was very heroic but this certainly is not the film to tell it.

As for Aflek, frankly his performance was flat and lack lustre, it was almost like the whole film was a private joke between the actors "lets see if we can bag an Oscar or two without actually performing!"

Watch the film as this is of course just my opinion, however take my advice and just don't pay to see it... you will thank me and if you thought the film was great, well hey you got a cheap night or entertainment!!!

Well crafted movie, highly fabricated story

Author: (junkmail-385) from United States
30 January 2013

***Update***

It seems even NPR can't resist the pressure of potential Oscar-dom and money. In their latest Argo story, CIA agent Mendez himself is interviewed and claims most of the story is "spot on". Naturally, I would trust the word of Mendez, since he can not tell a lie and likely has no conflict of interest in the success of the film.(/sarcasm) Practically everyone knows the Big Lie theory. Unfortunately, few people seem able to recognize its application.

*************

8 stars for craftsmanship averaged with 2 stars for historical accuracy equals 5 stars. The intro to this movie is most engaging and tends to convince viewers unswervingly from the start that this is a great film. If one investigates the history, however, almost every subsequent plot point is fabricated, apparently to maintain audience interest (for as many reviewers have commented, besides the plot and editing, this movie has little to offer in the way of writing, characters, acting, costumes, makeup, cinematography, etc.) During the credits, contrasting images of real characters and actors are presented that would lead one to believe great effort was made to tell the story faithfully. Don't be fooled. Contrary to what Mr. Afflect has said, the plot was more than tweaked a bit*. Good on NPR for calling him out on it. The salient facts in this case aren't classified, so what's the excuse for baldfaced lying to the audience?

*Examples of diversion from the truth: No excursion took place into the bazaar by the Americans. No secret photographs taken of the Americans. No shredded embassy photographs of the Americans. No sweatshop assembling shredded photographs of the Americans. The mission was never canceled, but President Carter did delay authorization for 30 minutes *before agent Mendez had even left for Iran*. Agent Mendez was in Iran for less than 36 hours and left the country separately, before the stranded Americans left. No phone call by Iranian guards to the studio. No problem with airline tickets. No confrontation at the airport. No (absurd) plane chase. Many people on the plane besides the American embassy workers cheered when the plane took off. Others have commented that the rescue effort was the brainchild of--and directed by--a Canadian, not agent Mendez.

Outstanding!

Author: Nika Gigashvili (www.running-reel.com)
2 November 2012

Ben made a huge comeback after directing The Town and Gone Baby Gone - two movies more loved by the audience than by critics.. But now it's his time with 96% of Rotten Tomatoes, 8.4 IMDb rating and lots of positive (and even more) reviews. So, here is mine... Probably like most of other people I had great expectations to Argo and they don't fully matched with what I saw, but still this is one of the best films of the year. The good thing about screenplay is the story itself, a very dynamic, somehow intrigue and a beautiful plot. I liked the smart and very natural dialogues, the mix of documentary and film scenes. Even the happy ending was good because during the whole film I've got attached to those characters so much, I experienced every tricky moment, I felt nervous for police check they had to pass and I argued against president Carter to support Tony's (Ben Affleck) plan.

The acting panel is perfect in the movie. Ben plays so well that he can be palced next to Robert Redford, Clint Eastwood, Mel Gibson and Ron Howards - actors who turned to directors very successfully. He delivers a zero emotion performance of US government agent who aims to save hostages. He can probably get an Oscar nomination as a lead actor because Hollywood will love extremely positive hero.

But real star of this movie is Alan Arkin playing Lester Siegel - a widely acclaimed Hollywood director helping Tony to make a fake movie. He portrays a smart and funny director being pretty close to most of real directors of our time. He's most natural act in the whole cast of Argo and that is why Alan can get his fourth Oscar nomination, this time for supporting role.

What's the chances of winning Best Picture Oscar?

Chance of nominating is over 100% but not sure about winning. It is good, definitely good, almost perfect. But lacks a polish that is so much important for best picture winner. In the end, I did not clearly imagine Argo holding that title in February. However this is still possible as we've got Les Miserable premiere ahead and Tom Hooper promises a lot this year.

For Complete Review visit my blog: http://running-reel.blogspot.com/2012/10/movie-review-argo-2012.html

Argo is a worthy drama of the events of the rescue of some Americans during the Iranian hostage crisis of 1979-80

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
1 November 2012

The movie's title is the title of the script for a "proposed" film that Agent Tony Mendez (Ben Affleck) suggests as a cover for a rescue mission concerning six Americans held as guests with some Canadian representatives in Iran in order to avoid capture by the Iranian terrorists during the hostage crises of 1979-80. It's presented like a real '70s film in a documentary-like style that takes its time in getting to the climax. Certainly having such worthy support from John Goodman, Alan Arkin, and Bryan Cranston contributes immensely to the compelling drama of the situation and Affleck's direction doesn't seem false in presenting the way things happened during that tense time though I'm sure some liberties were taken. So on that note, Argo is recommended as a historical docudrama. P.S. Loved seeing many of the vintage news footage including one from ABC saying a late night rerun of "The Love Boat" will be delayed for 15 minutes for Ted Koppel's report on the latest Iranian development. That would eventually become "Nightline". Oh, and this was the second time I watched a movie with the '70s version of the Warner Bros. logo presented this year. The first time was on Magic Mike.

Decent but overrated

Author: Raphezir from Germany
14 January 2013

I didn't really want to watch Argo in the first place but with all the hype going on about the award nominations and people claiming Affleck got robbed... So I gave it a try. Yes, the movie is OK - and really good job on the visual aspect of the movie but those people, who are praising the acting, just got caught by the story. There is not much acting going on in this movie. You expect to see 6/7 people scared to death and trying to mask this fear but you only see 3. I'm not saying they suck but none of the performances are outstanding. I don't even understand why people get caught by this story anyway. I just thought: That's what you get for supporting dictators like this piece of s***. Not saying any of those hostages deserved what was coming to them but it didn't really let me suffer with them, especially not with those 6 who got away. It seems the audience just likes to celebrate some American heros. It's the same effect with "Lincoln". The movie is OK but the story is a national (or even global) treasure, so people praise the movie and the acting into an unrealistic level.

Another problem is: Everybody knows what's going to happen. So many of the efforts to create tension just fail and appear kinda pointless, especially the chase on the runway.

The movie looks good and it is well done but it does not deserve awards for acting or best motion picture.

Overrated and Undeserving

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
20 March 2013

What is nothing more than a competent Political Thriller has managed to once again tick a lot of people off at the Academy Awards and rightfully so. There are times when healthy debate can arise among Movie goers and Film lovers about the Best Picture winner or nominees, but occasionally there are mind bending and head scratching entries. Opinions can vary and discussions can ensue about the Art and the crafting of Film.

This one goes nowhere new and is rather boring and unremarkable in most respects. All of the characters on screen look and act as though they are truly in a Hollywood Movie that is about a non existent Hollywood Movie. Affleck is the worst of the bunch. Here he has one expression throughout and is totally unconvincing. His one emotion, seen here, is rolling his eyes toward Heaven when they are given the go ahead at the airport. That's it.

The Movie is without doubt overrated to the extreme and is not bad it just isn't much. It has nothing exceptional and nothing outstanding. It is rather stale and stodgy with fake emotion and it tries real hard at being matter-of fact, but when delivered it is Movie of the Week mediocrity and melancholy to a fault.

Historical inaccuracies or not. It just doesn't matter. This does not have the substance or Artful integrity to matter. The only matter worth mentioning is its undeserved attention and pawing patronizing. That alone is a matter of great mystery and deserves discussion.

Good story but disappointing

Author: zagued from Australia
13 November 2012

The plot is great. Moving story based on real facts with all the required components to throw viewers into the action. But unfortunately the movie is wrapped into the usual Hollywood fairy tale, which makes it predictable and boring in the end. Why do all these movies need to follow the old same happy end framework, with the hugs and the tears and the moving music at the end...

Furthermore, this movie is released just a few weeks after the world-wide Islamic riots. The emphasis is systematically made on the Muslim fanaticism. The whole movie is articulated around the hatred feelings from irrational violent Muslim population - including men, women, children - towards the innocent Americans. And of course, in the end, the smart Americans succeed in fooling the violent Islamics, standing ovation for the superheroes, pats on the back, we are the best, wooohooo.

As the result, the good story is ruined by the Hollywood emphasis on nation pride. It could have been much better with a less subjective angle in the realisation.