IMDb > Argo (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Argo

Argo More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 71: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Sheer Brilliance

Author: Preeti Dhakappa Baliga from Mangalore
4 July 2013

One word description - Outstanding! Here is a gripping entertainer you've been waiting for. A replica of actual events made to perfection and HOW! Argo captures the viewer in a complex cobweb, leaving lumps in the throat frequently. A remarkable performance by Ben Affleck and the entire cast. Smart, witty and intense, this one is too good to be watched just once. You will enjoy and love every ounce of this nail-biting thriller. The cinematography, direction and the performances are very earnest in their approach to realism. Argo is certainly the kind of movie that will stay with you long after you have watched it. So, let your pound a bit, let your senses feel fright and let your mind race. Go get captured!

A pretty entertaining movie

Author: smatysia (feldene@comcast.net) from Houston
29 June 2013

OK, this apparently only loosely based on the "Canadian Caper" of 1980 to smuggle out of Teheran the six American Foreign Service officers who get away from the embassy before the Iranian Revolutionary Guards, disguised as students, overrun the embassy. While there are a lot of historical quibbles with the plot, there was a need to generate tension in places where it wasn't quite so tense. Not that it wasn't tense, and dangerous, but it seems that the ending at the airport was not so close, that the diplomats were long out of the country without the Iranians being any the wiser. The narration about Mossadegh at the beginning seemed a bit one-sided, not mentioning that he was likely to turn the country into a Soviet colony, and stealing billions of dollars in Western property. Yes, the shah was a tyrant too, but the nation is still tyrannized all these years later. Anyway, despite the historical stuff it ended up being a pretty entertaining movie.

Argo or Liego?!

Author: rana-yekani
8 April 2013

So based on Argo: 1.CIA agents: Pure,Pure,Pure angels!!!!So this time when you hear about a crime or whatever in US,remind yourself that all the agents were definitely busy saving other people and fighting terrorists that they couldn't save this one!! 2.Iranians: quite close to a zombie since we are all covered in bears,we are utterly most angry and also don't have a single piece of brain in our heads.So what to do the next time you see an Iranian? Run!Run for your life! Because we're so thirsty for blood!!!WE'll hunt you down somewhere and take you hostage!Relax! remember those CIA agents that we talked about?! They're gonna come get you! 3.Canadians and Brits:Oh darling!Bad people who turned Americans down!You should never trust them because they'll never ever help you! Don't even think for a moment that they'll give you fake passports and shelter.And also they most definitely won't risk their own lives and positions because of you!! And here's what I say: Dear Affleck!Congrats on your new job! You just got hired by the US government!Now your wage must be going high like crazy! P.S: Great timing by the way! Nobody could have possibly justified invading Iran the way you did!!!!

An absolute failure for Hollywood and a life-time shame for Ben Affleck

Author: Sina Bina
6 April 2013

Just finished watching this let's say movie and I am here to tell you that this is an absolute failure for Hollywood and a life-time shame for Ben Affleck.The fabricated Oscar was even more terrible than the movie itself. The movie has too many historical mistakes (on purpose?) regarding the actual event and locations and also people of Iran. This is not a movie at all I am afraid, but just a destructive tabloid.It has a deeply troubling portrayal of the Iranian people and considers them as Arabs.The presence of First Lady Michelle Obama and the use of Hollywood as a destructive political tool is also a negative point for Hollywood and its century-long respects.

OK film but seriously flawed in places

Author: Dominic Hanagan from United Kingdom
23 March 2013

The storyline itself makes for a great film if time was given to explore characters more and background more, the film hits the ground running then its given the rest of the time it has to try and elongate a very specific part of the story which culminates in a fevered 15 minute ending.

I would watch it again but not biased on the reviews that others have given it. I did not approach the film from an historical point of view only from an entertainment point. So please find that this review has no shouts of the film being racist, anti-Iranian, anti this and anti that I only wish that people reading this review do not take into account some other reviewers offering reviews biased on their political and religious opinion. Just review the chuffing film. please

This is How American Craps on its Friends

Author: Venge from Vancouver
13 March 2013

The movie suggests that it is telling the "real" story about what happened to the six Americans trapped in Iran during the Iran Hostage Crisis and how they escaped the country. It is a fanciful mumbo-jumbo of how the CIA, using good old American ingenuity, created this ingenious cover story of "Argo" and to the relief of the timid Canadians, who were getting nervous and scared about harbouring them, whisked them magically and suspensefully out of the country and back to freedom. All would be well, if it there was even a shred of truth to it. Instead, it is all fiction, but to a new generation of American youth, this will be how it "really" happened. You can hear them now chanting, "USA!!USA!!"

So why does Hollywood make a movie like this? Well, for one, you do not make a movie for Americans showing "anyone else" having to rescue them. Their egos just will not stand it. It has to be Americans who rescue their fellow Americans, for god forbid that the "greatest nation on earth" should ever be in a position to need rescuing!! A movie, based on the actual facts of the incident, remembered in history as the "Canadian Caper" would keep American audiences away from the cinema in droves. But bend the truth, make an American CIA agent the hero, and Voila!! Not only a box-office hit, but an Academy Award winner for Best Picture!!

Who cares if this pictures takes a dump on America's few remaining friends. England, who originally harboured the fugitives and then snuck them to the Canadian ambassador's house, and New Zealand, who actually helped transport the fugitives to the airport for their flight to freedom, were said in this movie to have "Refused to help". Well thanks for nothing guys. The Canadian ambassador, Ken Taylor, who in real life quietly led the US contingent through the airport and out of the country with no fanfare, just quiet common sense, is portrayed and afraid and clueless.

Maybe the moral of all this is, next time America needs help, their friends should tell them to go ask Hollywood.

Worst Picture of the Academy Awards

Author: PatriciusJ
26 December 2015

I am simply stunned (but I should not be surprised anymore) how in the world and with right reason does Argo even get nominated for any Academy Award, let alone win Oscars, including best Motion Picture? Ben Affleck must know the right people in charge, etc. and that is all that really matters for him to win again this trophy. The integrity of the Academy Awards once again is at stake. I simply cannot understand it anymore. I wonder why folks like Sergio Leone, Peter O'Toole, Liam Neeson, and so many others have won nothing for their role in a film at the AA. O well! As far as the Argo flick itself, I will not give it away, but judge it for yourself and ask if it is better than A Most Wanted Man (2014)?

Heightened reality

Author: kosmasp
5 July 2013

While the movie is based on real events, this doesn't mean everything happened exactly like it is portrayed in the movie. Actually quite the opposite is the case. And I don't think it would be fair to say it is unfair to all Iran. Especially because we are talking about a movie and because it does only portray the (then acting) government as evil. And as mentioned, there are quite a few things that are heightened for "entertainment purposes" and most of them work nicely.

There are quite a few Iranians who actually help or try not to be pressed into doing evil things. The actual way of how Ben Afflecks character thinks he can help the people seems far fetched, but it is something that happened (again not as heightened as it is shown in the movie). The fact, that you actually know where this is heading from the start, does not change the fact, that you might be able to enjoy watching it (unless you want to read something into this movie that is).

Starting to think the Oscar is a mafia

Author: kari-lh from Iceland
29 April 2013

First of all, I had to see this film because it won the best picture and honestly it looked as if it was very good. But as I watched it, I became more and more disappointed.

I thought it was interesting that the plot is based on a true story about this very unusual rescue mission preformed by the CIA.

After watching for a while I started to notice the classical "Hollywood" theme were almost every aspect of the story was exaggerated to create a more excitement for the viewers.

But this is not the worst thing. In reality Americans never knew of this operation because CIA gave Canada all the credit. The American nation wasn't told of this until some president unclassified this about 15 - 20 years ago. But that wasn't enough so in 2012 movie producers probably sat down and said "we need to make an award winning film to show the whole world it was we the Americans not the Canadians that did this astonishing rescue mission." So the hidden message of this film is "America is the best country in all of the known world." At the end you can see the American flag in the background so at least your subconscious would notice it. That is the flaw of many Hollywood movies.

Overall the sets, the shots, the acting are good, but not outstanding. About the same quality you see in most blockbusters.

So if you are not a true American "patriot" you will probably not like this movie very much. There is nothing wrong in being proud of your country but this is crossing way over the line in my opinion.

Not worthy of an Oscar.

Author: Esswasim from India
5 February 2013

From the neutrals point of view this movie is average American suspense investigation thriller, I mean yes that is how good it is an average movie, for its direction and production and actors and their roles, an average movie, what makes this movie worse that it fails to develop characters and so we end up emotionally detached from the movie characters, there is nothing splendid about any roles,

from the American patriots perspective, it is great since the hero rises when needed to pull of a fairly good stunt by deception with the aid of friendly Ally Canada, so in patriotic terms to see your country pulling off a here it is always delight to watch, and it doesn't matter how the actors did or how good the quality of movie is, so overlooking those aspects of movie, an American citizen loves it.

From the Iranian perspective. The movie will be bitter taste in the mouth becoz, every Irani fella won't want it's security breached and nation losing the captives at a very crucial time in the revolution, which in fact didn't have much impact on the total development of Iranian revolution. but still this movie is made to remind them that American people can be clever..

So to sum it up the movie still is overrated leave the event in history aside, leave patriotism aside and see how much you feel for characters from the perspective of a neutral, I am sorry but I have a feeling I didn't find any such development of characters to give this movie a rating of 8, I give it 6 for not including any bizarre moments...