IMDb > Wild Child (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Good Teen Fun

Author: marianne-grace-x from United Kingdom
20 August 2008

While this film won't be winning any prizes for being particularly deep and probably won't make you rethink your outlook on life, it's still good fun. There's some promising new talent, good laughs and sweet lines in this delightfully cheesy romantic comedy.

It's about a stereotypical Malibu Princess who annoys her father one too many times, resulting in her being sent away to an English Boarding school (much to her horror - the rain, the rain!). The film pretty much centers around her trying to get expelled from the school, and therefore sent back to LA with her father and sister. The film is about her journey from spoilt brat to English Boarding school-girl.

If you're into Rom Coms and you're between 12 & 19 years of age I would definitely recommend this one for a good night in with the girls.

+ there's some magnificent Alex Pettyfer moments ;)

JUST WANT TO ADD - That there have been many complaints (mostly from British girls - of which I am) about the way British girls are portrayed in this film, but please rethink this and look at how Americans are treated! Our main character starts as a lying, self obsessed and vain brat and her best friend Ruby (American) proceeds to steal her boyfriend and backstab her! So you British girls who saw fit to complain - don't. This is only light-hearted fun, and Americans are treated far worse!

Not bad at all

Author: caersai from United States
6 October 2008

Wild Child may be predictable, but what it lacks in substance it makes up in character evolution. It is your basic wild child gets sent away and becomes reformed type of movie, but there lies a deeper meaning hidden in this movie. The poster before me recommended this to children, and I can't help but wonder if that poster was a teen him/herself. Adults will enjoy this movie more than teenagers; teenagers rarely understand coming-of-age movies as they have yet to experience it.

Wild Child is most assuredly a predictable movie, but don't let that stop you. It's also very heartwarming, charming, and may bring a tear to your eye. See it.

Good Fun

Author: MsBlonde_7 from United Kingdom
18 August 2008

OK, so this film isn't going to win any Oscars but it does deliver.

I saw this film this evening with friends (we're 18) and we had a good laugh and a good time watching it. Some of it#s content makes it quite a predictable teen movie but despite this the film is good fun and has some surprise moments.

For those expecting a tween film like What A Girl Wants this is not it! There's a lot of swearing, sexual reference and drinking which is more like the kind of things normal 16 year olds do. This film has more of an edge than your usual teen flick and will definitely appeal to a wider range of ages. So give it a chance, it might surprise you.

Don't hold it to high standards and it will exceed your expectations

Author: gemmavictoria from United States
14 September 2008

You know, this is a teen movie. What can you really expect? I think, however, you will be pleasantly surprised by Wild Child. The cast doe an excellent job, with the teens carrying the movie pretty much themselves.

The story line, though mostly predictable, is nicely delivered and felt honest.

This is a great movie for families, or girls' night out! I am 26 and thoroughly enjoyed it with my friends!!! Of course, don't hold it to high standards, it won't meet them, but for what it is, it exceeded expectations.

So bad it's bordering on genius.

Author: ste_to_the_phen from United Kingdom
10 January 2009

I'm a 20 year old male and was roped in to seeing this with my girlfriend, and I'm glad for it. The film has an incredibly predictable storyline, the acting isn't great, most of it complete and utter non-sense and most of events in the film hold little to no purpose.

I've gave it a high rating, however, because I don't think I've laughed quite as much at a film as I have at this one for a long, long time. I think the phrase 'so genius it's bordering on madness' applies here: the film isn't good, but that's where it succeeds. It's one of those films that aren't meant to be taken seriously, and as such you can just relax, and have a laugh. I spent a good hour or so crying of laughter, and I could't even catch my breath during the "I'm Spartacus" motif in the 'Honour Court' -- unintended comedy genius.

While it's no Space Odyssey and has less character depth in the entire film than is seen in one minute of A Clockwork Orange, it is nevertheless worth the watch.

A Nutshell Review: Wild Child

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
12 December 2008

I guess Emma Roberts' more memorable role was taking on the iconic Nancy Drew character, but now she exchanges those sleuthing skills and good manners for spoilt brat antics. Swinging from one end of the spectrum of an ideal kid to a spoilt and bratty one, her Poppy Moore character in Wild Child is a rich kid who has issues with discipline because she thinks she could get her way with her devil may care attitude and wads of cash. With her relationship with her father going to the doldrums, she gets shipped off to an English boarding school in an effort to be schooled in the prim and proper, and thus sets up plenty of room for your typical fish out of water story.

Naturally as the loner who stands out because of her rather uncouth behaviour and fashion sense, this was somewhat a throw back to The House Bunny, where the protagonist is clearly out of place, and remains to be seen if it is herself who would be assimilated into the norm, or if she could be the trend-setter and begin a serious case of behavioural osmosis.

For starters, this is clearly chick flick territory, with all characters being girls (it's set in an all girls boarding school) and the only male supporting characters happened to be her dad (Aidan Quinn), the school principal's son Freddie (Alex Pettyfer) for romantic purposes, and Nick Frost who cameos as a small town hairstylist. So you can imagine the amount of bitching that would go around in the film, where Poppy offends the head student on her first day on multiple fronts, thereby starting off some serious personal vendetta issues. Or how Poppy is initially unwelcome by everyone in her dormitory because her stubbornness got them all detention, before they decide to assist her in a win-win situation - getting her expelled so that she could return home.

Wild Child is surprisingly entertaining with a good story to tell, even though it's the usual about having friends for life versus the superficial ones that one tend to meet from time to time. I guess for parents this could be one of those child-safe movies to bring their kids to, and hopefully to have some of its positive messages rub off on their kids. Written by Lucy Dahl, daughter of the renowned Roald Dahl, that credit alone provided some interest in this movie, despite the story and plot development being nothing unusual and being very predictable.

But I guess predictability could still work if the ensemble cast delivered their roles convincingly, which they do, and with any movie that deals with friendship and one targetted at children, this is as plain sailing a movie as it can get - nobody dies, everyone becomes friends, tense situations get diffused amicably, and there's plenty of BFF-love to go around.

Nonsensical. Silly. Entertaining.

Author: SophomoreSlump from Malaysia
15 December 2008

Poppy (Roberts) is a spoiled rich Malibu teen who has gone too far after playing an over-the-top prank and making her dad (Quinn) snapped. Thus, deciding to send her to an English boarding school for girls. She is, of course, taken in as an outsider, becoming Harriet's (King), the School Head Girl, greatest nemesis in mere seconds. But the headmistress (Richardson) really would like to help her mend her ways. She bonds with her roommates (Nixon, Temple, Wu and Cocker), after a rough start and they agree to help her get expelled so that she could go back home. Of course, cliché as it may sound, these friendship and a crush on the headmistress' son, Freddie (Pettyfer), give her second thoughts.

I can say that this move is like Mean Girls, except the girls aren't as mean. We get an American girl who's ignorant about all-thing Brit (and the other way around). Poppy came to the school overdressed, and thought that somebody will carry her bags for her, and was completely oblivious about the school hierarchy. You might think this is another fish-out-of-the-water type of film, but it's more than that.

The movie is witty, fun, honest, and slightly intelligent enough to make it watchable. It's nothing new, but it's pretty entertaining.

As the movie progresses, we see the character, mostly Poppy, develops. We get to learn why she is this "wild child" in the opening scene, and why she's so mean and ignorant about other people.

It all get slightly predictable towards the end...everything comes crashing down, Poppy's friendship is heading for breaking point, Freddie is angry with what Poppy has done, and she is on the brink of being kicked out of the school. So she only gets on chance to make everything alright again. School movies will do better without this kind of scenes. Anyway, the ending is quite emotional and touching, it'll make up for the rest of the clichéd trip you take since the start of the movie.

A great Drama movie

Author: lasiru
11 December 2008

You have to absolutely see this movie. It contains lot of things movies these days don't have, like friendship, how you feel a friend let you down kind of things. actually I have to admit that it's so well written and Directed to make the viewer more emotional and to show the joy in friendship. this is a must watch movie and I prefer it to all persons who are aged above the MPAA rating of the film. And another thing about this movie is It's more real life than other movies I've seen like how characters behave kind of things and of course the movie casting Director had done a awesome job because the Actors and actresses fits well to the characters you'll definitely fell that when you are watching "Wild Child" movie. And the music is well matched to the scene and to the feeling of the scene. Everything is perfect the story line, direction, music This is a must watch movie as I mentioned before.

Light Hearted FUN

Author: rphillips-18 from UK
14 June 2009

Come on folks, lighten up here.

Yes... This isn't a deep and meaningful piece of classic cinema... It is a fun "just sit back and have a good grin" film.

I'm afraid that people who get on their high horse about films like this must have gone to the wrong cinema! I am male, in my 40's, have a degree and run my own company... I watched this together with my two daughters (14 and 16) and we all had great fun and a few really good laughs. So no... you don't have to be a 12 year old girl to find something fun in this film!

It is predictable, cheesy and the plot is VERY shallow and weak in most places... But you can't expect more from a film like this.

So if you want to watch this, just turn off your high-brow film critic existence, grab some popcorn and a fizzy drink and have a smile...

Sweet, clever, warm entertainment.

Author: the_hole from United Kingdom
8 September 2009

This was a film which I hadn't really been expecting much of, as criticism found in several sources did pan this film, mainly for its spoilt teenage protagonist, Poppy Moore. This obnoxious Paris Hilton-clone is shipped off to a stereotypical female boarding school; a premise which could easily be horrible.

However, after actually seeing it, I was pleasantly surprise. Like recent British teen films, such as the contemporary St. Trinian's films, there is a lot of good natured fun to be found here and is no where near as atrocious as it could have been.

Lucy Dahl's script has such an effortless charm about it, which includes some reasonably witty pop culture references and a realism to the schoolgirl characters. Nick Moore's hyper-reality take on the script works quite well, with pink mis-en-scene and general brightness invading all cinematography and greatly emphasising the feel-good factor of the film.

The young supporting cast are lovable and strong; the English girls which Poppy makes friends with are wonderful (especially the ever entertaining Juno Temple as the comic member of the group Drippy), Georgia King gives a wonderfully over-the-top performance in the role of the antagonist, tyrannical prefect Harriet, and "Stormbreaker's" Alex Pettyfer makes for a likable, if not incredibly benign love interest. The American cast which come into play are also deliciously evil and, after being subjected to that stereotype of dim-witted, spoilt and generally unpleasant American brats in TV shows like "My Super Sweet Sixteen", it is fun to see that stereotype lampooned in this film.

There is also some strong adult support from the late Natasha Richardson, who takes this opportunity to bring that maternal warm and comic timing so evident in her performance in "The Parent Trap" to brighten the stereotypically prim Headmistress, as well as Daisy Donovan, Shirley Henderson and Jason Nelkin bringing some over-the-top humour as members of staff at the school.

As for Emma Roberts in the lead, she has a natural sweetness and fragility which helps dilute this otherwise very unlikeable lead and in the end, you do feel for Poppy as the story progresses into an almost- school drama involving several arguments and possible death.

However, the "almost" needs to be emphasised, for otherwise, it is a light, fuzzy and quite amusing comedy, which would be highly recommended for a bit of idle Sunday afternoon fun.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]