IMDb > Infestation (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Infestation

Infestation More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

B-Movie thrills as bugs take over the Earth...

Author: ajs-10 from United Kingdom
25 April 2010

I hadn't heard anything about this film before I saw it. This made for quite an interesting viewing experience. Set in a town somewhere in America, Cooper, a bit of a waster, is about to be fired from his job when a piercing noise knocks everyone out…

Cooper wakes up to find himself covered in some kind of white webbing. He pulls it off himself only to be confronted by a three foot long insect that immediately attacks him. Having fought several of these bugs off, he goes and finds his boss, Maureen, who is disorientated. They figure out they have been out for several days and Maureen suddenly remembers her daughter, Sara, was outside in a car. Cooper goes outside to get her but Maureen follows and is crying out when she is suddenly taken away by a flying bug. Cooper and Sara make it to a diner and, having woken everyone up there, decide to go to his father's house, about a days' walk away. They also discover that the bugs can't see, they only react to sound, so it's very important to stay quiet. The group consists of Cooper, Sara, Cindy (a weather girl), Hugo & Albert (father & son) and Leechee (a student). The set off and make it to another building before nightfall. Cooper makes it no secret he's interested in Sara, but she rebuffs his attentions. They decide to capture one of the bugs and test its venom. Leechee does the test and they find it's mostly a sedative. The next morning they move on but Leechee stays behind to wake more people and study the bugs further. The journey is dangerous and more revelations are to be made, but I'll stop here, don't want to give too much away!

I was quite surprised, for a B-movie type film, it's pretty well made. The effects, although not the best, aren't all that bad. The dialogue could have done with a bit more work, but there were one or two good one-liners in there. Decent performances from all of the main cast, honourable mentions go to Chris Marquette as Cooper, Brooke Nevin as Sara, Kinsey Packard as Cindy, E. Quincy Sloan as Hugo, Wesley Thompson as Albert, Linda Park as Leechee and Ray Wise as Ethan (he had the best comedy lines).

This wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't great either. I think the main problem was I didn't particularly like Cooper at the beginning, he grew on me as the film progressed, but I still didn't find him particularly likable. Also, the big fight at the end was a bit of a let down. So, over all, it's got a few laughs, the CGI is pretty good but it has some poor effects towards the end. Not bad, but not great.

My score: 5.3/10

All on its own.

Author: thekarmicnomad from United Kingdom
15 November 2009

Every now and then a movie comes along that you can't quite understand how it got made. This is one of them. The only place I have ever seen this advertised is Play where I bought it on a whim. I thought it was a Trauma movie but the production values are quite high.

The story is fairly standard but deviates enough not to be main-stream, the CGI are very good but not up to block buster status, it is witty but not obviously funny, the acting is very good but no A lists are in it. It seems the only demographic this film is aimed at is... well, me. Seeing so many positive votes I am obviously not alone in my tastes. 8-)

There are plot holes, many which are plastered over with single lines of scripts and considering how much action there is not an actual lot happens.

The closest I can get to pigeon-holing this film is saying it is akin to an American version of Shaun of the Dead.

You can pick it up for peanuts and there is much, much, much ,much worse filling up the SCI-FI market.

A creative bug flick that achieves its limited goals.

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
5 January 2011

Anaconda gave us a giant snake. Lake Placid crocodiles. Tremors gave us giant underground worms. Boa Vs Cobra gave us ludicrous giant snakes. King Kong made us afraid of CGI monkeys. Deep Blue Sea gave us giant smart sharks. Arachnophobia gave us millions of spiders.

Infestation gives us giant bugs who have taken over the world, or at least part of it.

After some meaningless guff everyone who is gonna be in the film from here wakes up from an unexplained coma to find that the world has been overrun by giant bugs.

Most of our "heroes" awaken in an office building, where they are joined by other similarly confused punters. They decide to go outside...

Bad idea.

Plan 2 sees them joining up to head across town to the home of one of the characters, a guy named Cooper whose Dad is a crazed war veteran with an underground bunker where they should be safe.

Along the way the group end up as a 5-some, but really it is Cooper as the slacker office idiot and the daughter of his ex-boss (both because he was fired and because she was eaten) Sarah who matter, as from the start they are destined to be together. Sorry "the rest", you are all bug food!

Sarah is taken by the bugs just before they reach Cooper's pad, meaning he must save her before he turns on the lave lamp and throws all his best moves at her in his stale smelling bedroom where the walls are covered in posters (I'm just guessing he is like every other early 20s guy who still lives with his parents), so it is on to the nest!

Look this is a nice little low budget effort so the plot doesn't matter once you've read the People Vs Giant Bugs bit. There are some creative creature effects, most notably the "hybrid" creatures that seem to use unwilling humans as hosts. Being a low budget flick it is also good to see that they covered some of the bare minimum elements that such a film requires.

Those include:

* - Bad jokes.

* - Boobies.

* - Violence.

* - Funny and gross creatures.

I liked the ending too, all in all this is an ideal mid week rental. You don't have to think, your missus will shriek a couple times without ever being scared or too grossed out, and it doesn't really matter if she falls asleep half way through. It also tops out at under 90 minutes.

Final Rating - 5.5 / 10. No-one behind this is walking up the steps to get an Oscar, but a creative genre piece that achieves its limited goals.

Joke?

Author: c-kattig from France
15 August 2011

When I have tried to seen this movie, I was asking myself if it is a joke.

It seems to be a comedy but for me, it is a very bad comedy. I have tried hardly to see whole of the movie but it was impossible. Characters played too bad. The story have not any real senses. Insects do not seem at all to be "real".

According to me, it is a wasting time to see the movie. There are a lot of films which are better of this one.

If I have to describe this movie in one word, I would say: "disappointement".

A little gem

Author: domunited from United Kingdom
23 April 2010

What a little belter of a film! Takes me right back to some of the fantastic 1950 / 60s sci-fi B movie classics. Congratulations to the director - keeping it tight and focused on what must have been, in all honesty, a tight budget. Nevertheless, I laughed out loud many times, I thought the interplay between the main characters was spot on, the script was witty throughout, and the film never dropped the pace from the opening scenes. Yes - some of the special effects were a little ropey, but that is not the point. This is an entertaining film, certainly 'cult' material (and no bad thing for that), it did not 'fall in line' with the usual teen/romp/scary movie rubbish, and it is just a little bit different.

Bugapalooza

Author: chicagopoetry from United States
20 September 2009

Infestation is a great little science fiction horror movie. Unlike some movies that tease you and don't give you a glimpse of the monster until the end, this one dives right in so that giant killer insects are running and flying around in broad daylight nearly from moment one, and that makes this one heck of a weird flick. There is a perfect combination of humor and horror, so that this often funny movie doesn't become annoyingly, forcefully camp like some movies such as Dead Alive. It was great to see that guy who plays the devil in the TV show Reaper; he's a good actor. The special effects are great as well. It's as if a bunch of Bulgarians took that scene from John Carpenter's The Thing, you know, the one in which the head sprouts insect legs and crawls away, and based an entire movie on it. This isn't as gory as other bug spectaculars such as Starship Troopers, and even in the gory moments its like watching marshmallow fluff being sprayed all over the place, so it's tame enough for younger people to see without therm being completely disturbed. The main character looks like a pubescent John Cusack and even though it takes a bit of time to relate to him, his character grows on you and you end up liking him. This is straight up in your face bugapalooza. You should watch it on your big screen TV or on your DVD projector. Either way, it's a ton of mindless fun.

The kitchen sink...plus bugs!!!

Author: Josiah23 from United States
13 July 2009

The way I see it, the only real risk against this flick is just how easily it can be taken for granted. It's so action packed that you might forget how funny it is. It's so funny that you might forget that's even got a little bit of heart. I heard about this flick 'cuz I guess it was made by one of the project greenlight guys from way back. Anyways, I saw it in the theater the other night and was blown away. I found out it's airing on the sci-fi channel this August, which is cool but you're probably not going to get the same experience as seeing it in the theater. You're best bet is to get it on DVD because the sci-fi channel is definitely going to have to edit some stuff out. It's got Ray Wise (Of Twin Peaks fame) in it who has all the charm and comedic timing as one of those classy silent movie stars. You can't help but smile when he's on the screen. It's also got that kid from Joan of Arcadia, not John Ritter's son but the chick's boyfriend.

A lot of the humor from this movie comes from it's effortless ability to reference it's own script and "call back". It does this with great ease and so when you're watching it, you feel like your in on a million "inside jokes". Some of the action is pretty funny too, though it's not quite "splatstick". You won't feel guilty for laughing when this one dude bounces out of the mouth of a giant flying mosquito. Even Wiley Coyote took a few hits for the all-American chuckle. There's a father son relationship that really develops and becomes warm without being too sentimental. And a love interest that seems real and down to earth. That's what kind of surprised me about this movie, just how unprentenious it was. I'm not saying I was expecting an art house flick with Giant Bugs but all the character development and dynamics were really ambitious.

Overall, I'm giving it ten out of ten stars simply because it's a fun flick and I think people should watch it.

Author: ctomvelu1 from United States
27 November 2010

Tongue-in-cheek video about a bunch of giant bugs taking over the planet. A nerdy kid awakens to find himself about to be consumed by one of these over-sized insects. He manages to fight back. Along the way, he gathers a ragtag group of people including a cutie who comes to like him, and off they go to find and destroy the bugs' headquarters. Funny at times, reasonably nasty at others. A little nudity is thrown in for good measure. The bugs are well-crafted, and may remind you of "Starship Troopers" at times. It also has a bit of a zombie movie feel to it, along the lines of "28 Days After." Shot in Bulgaria with a no-name cast, "Infestation" is fast-paced and down and dirty, with plenty of laughs and thrills.

Good movie. More horror than fun, And certainly nothing like Shaun of the Dead

Author: almafuerte-1 from Argentina
13 December 2009

Infestation was certainly good. Action, interesting characters, decent acting, well directed. Predictable, yes, but you sort of expect that from the genre. Predictable isn't always bad.

Some think it's comparable to Shaun of the Dead, but it certainly lacks the witty British humor, the running gags etc. It has some good pieces of humor, like the Silence of the Lambs reference, but they are few and not so well delivered.

The CGI is decent, except for the explosion of the nest and the spider- web used in the cocoons. Overall, is well shot, with good locations and conventional but well done monsters.

The movie takes some from the Aliens, When-Bugs-Attack, and Zombie genres, and the mix is certainly enjoyable. Not a pearl, but a good and entertaining flick.

Nice......

Author: ikarusprojekt from United States, Harrisburg
13 November 2009

Well to tell you the truth when I saw "Infestation" was a SYFY flick i was a bit hesitant in watching it at all,MOST SYFY movies are pretty.....BAD! But, i took a little chance and I was really surprised! All of the acting was good..and for the most part the effects are decent as well...However,at times the CG Work was a little shaky...But,because i expected so much worse....it didn't bother me...in fact..I really didn't notice it too much..Humor was on key and the fact that they quoted one of my favorite characters-Dr. Hannibal Lecter "Hannibal the cannibal-Lecter" helped me appreciate the film a little more I guess...All in all this film is a nice little,what i would call "Creepy-clencher-afternoon-nothing to do-laugh a long."...I know that last bit was corny but, I thought I would try and get creative at 6 am...cheers! Enjoy....

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]