IMDb > Infestation (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

An entertaining A-film pretending to be a B-film

Author: amesmonde from Novelist of The Final Version
29 April 2013

Giant bugs attempt to take over the world.

Infestation is surprisingly not one of though cheap TV films, instead director Kyle Rankin delivers a well made piece of entertainment with some gross effects, great locations and cast. Sometimes the black comedic tone is inconsistence and a few effects work better than others. Nevertheless, the supporting cast are fine, Chris Marquette gives a good performance as the likably flawed anti-hero Cooper and Kinsey Packard's brief appearance as Cindy is notable. Ever reliable Ray Wise is on form.

It's road movie feel, the character trying to get from one place to another gives it a grounding and substantial atmosphere that many of the blockbuster films lack. While the ending is predicable there's enough gore moments and surprises to keep you entertained.

Overall it's good fun that's more A-film pretending to be a B-film like Tremors as appose to some DTV channel shlock.

Good enough creature feature

Author: (salsiga-713-60558) from Spain
4 May 2014

A pleasant surprise for all the sci-fi/horror genre fans. It's a solid little movie that has the big advantage of not taking itself too seriously while delivering the goods through a good script, many nice touches and some good plot twists.

The predictable and low-budget-showing finale doesn't detract from enjoying this funny and creepy enough piece that enjoys itself remembering the old day's creature features (Tarantula and Them! come to mind).

Surely worth a relaxed watch with some drinks and snacks. A few steps below Shaun of the dead but kind of a similar vive. If you are a fan of the genre, don't miss it. If not, you will probably find it entertaining enough.

A VERY good movie, brushing the underside of greatness.......

Author: microfame from United States
6 February 2013

Disregard the poor reviews....I have seen, and own, hundreds of 'monster horror' films, and this one, which I went into with low expectations (only buying it because it was $2 at a Blockbuster closing)impressed and entertained me very much. Having a very likable lead, in the John Cusack mold, helped greatly, but the effects were more than decent, and the writing was sharp and funny. Many of these type films have cookie-cutter dialog, but I laughed out loud a few times, when the writing caught me off guard. A favorite was when Cooper tells his dad his bold plan to rescue Sara from the hive, to which his dad replies "Let me tell you a little story......YOU'RE AN IDIOT!".....that was so out of the blue, that I burst out laughing, which I don't normally do. Ray Wise's delivery of the line was just right.

So buy the film....it's cheap on Amazon. I just bought a second copy for a movie-loving friend. You could do a LOT worse.....trust me.

Give It a Shot

Author: utgard14 from USA
3 November 2013

Forget the horror or sci-fi elements to this film. They suck and are the usual unimaginative CGI-rendered garbage you expect from low budget genre films these days. The reasons to see this movie are the humor and the two leads. Chris Marquette (who I've never heard of) does a fantastic job as the quirky leading man. He's charming, self-deprecating, and immensely likable. Brooke Nevin is pretty and funny, with nice comedic banter with Marquette. You find yourself rooting for them as the movie progresses. The rest of the cast is OK, with only the always-good Ray Wise as a standout.

I'm tempted to give it a higher score, and if I were just to score it compared to other low-budget sci-fi/horror films of the 2000s, it would certainly rate higher. But I don't rate that way. The direction is amateur, the plot ordinary and predictable, and the special effects look like they were made on a home computer. But see it anyway for the great chemistry and humor between the two leads.

A point of contention among many would be the ending. Without giving it away, I'll just say the movie tries to play cute with the ending and I'll leave it to you to judge whether they were successful or not. It personally doesn't detract from the movie to me since I was only superficially invested in the plot and more interested in the characters.

Fun with bugs .............

Author: merklekranz from United States
22 October 2009

Pretty good combination of jumbo bugs on the loose and grin inducing dialog. The acting ranges from totally acceptable (Christopher Marquette, Ray Wise) to borderline annoying (pick any female). The simplistic story starts with everybody already webbed, and no explanation is given as to where the winged annoyances came from. Similar to one of the better Sci-fi Channel films (Pterodactyl), in that the romantic interest, gets carried off into the sky, winds up in a nest, needing to be rescued. The half human, half insect creatures, cockroach types, and flying bugs are quite well done. "Infestation" is a fast moving, park logic at the curb, winner of a film. - MERK

Satire? If you're 5 years old you might think that.

Author: fedor8 from Serbia
8 January 2012

The ending suggests that the producers may have run out of budget during the filming. "OK, listen up, everyone. We have run of out of money, and there will be a slight change of plan. Throw away today's script, and let's just have someone say something stupid after which we cut to the end-credits. OK?"

The movie starts off well, fast-paced and relatively fun, then slows down inexplicably (money for the bug effects ran out?). It almost grinds to a halt at times, which is rather unusual for this kind of film. There are moments of ambivalence regarding as to whether this was supposed to be a comedy or whether "we should just do the horror without the cheap laughs". As a result, neither the comedy nor the drama worked particularly well. But then again, horror comedies are very rarely funny. Just look at "Shaun of the Dead"; to some (desperate) viewers that is practically a milestone of this more-or-less failed genre.

And may I ask what the point was of the Asian woman? She shows up, does nothing, is left behind to tend to the cocooned people, and that's it.

Brooke Nevin is quite cute. That's at least something.

Well done fun fare - like Zombieland with bugs!

Author: ersinkdotcom from United States
27 October 2009

What a fun little movie. Definitely not what I would have expected from director Kyle Rankin as a feature length follow-up to his Project Greenlight winner, The Battle of Shaker Heights. It has some of the same vibe to it, what with the lead characters in both movies being goofball nerds with certain issues of maturity to deal with. I guess Rankin's choice of directorial short projects that he participated in provided a pretty big hint, both of them being horror oriented and one of them even featuring a giant bug.

What we get here is the story of a geek slacker that is forced to grow up, embrace responsibility, and take charge of his life. It's pretty simple - if he doesn't, he's going to get eaten by giant alien insects. It also deals with parents letting go and allowing their kids to spread their own wings and go out on their own. Sounds pretty heavy for a movie about giant mutant insects that are trying to take over the world, right? Well, Rankin slips it all in their while making it gory enough, gooey enough, slimy enough, and creepy enough to excuse or accept his attempt at a moral lesson.

Chris Marquette, who many will find familiar from his role as the cancer-stricken Linus from Fanboys, plays the slacker Cooper. He does a great job at moving through different steps of maturity in a short amount of time and making it believable. The other real gem in this film is Ray Wise (Reaper, Twin Peaks) as Cooper's extremely domineering military father, Ethan. He plays the role of gung ho military leader with the greatest sense of humor. You can tell he really got into the role.

Let's talk the special effects. While they weren't really Lucasfilm quality, they were still not too terribly done. They were tolerable and definitely worked for the film. They looked a bit animated and CG, but it was not like SyFy Original Movie craptastic quality. It was a step above that I would say.

I keep finding myself comparing this to Zombieland. Obviously it's not as good as Zombieland, but it holds some of the same qualities and vibe as that film does. Imagine Zombieland, but instead of Zombies there's giant alien insects taking over. What you've got here is a cool movie you can enjoy for the Halloween season. It would probably be a lot of fun to watch this with a friend who has a phobia of bugs. Alright, so that does sound a little evil...but fun.

A reasonably fun big-bug B-movie.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
27 March 2016

Irresponsible slacker Cooper (Chris Marquette) is in the process of getting fired from his crappy job when a strange noise renders him unconscious. Waking up several days later, wrapped in webbing, he frees himself only to discover that giant insects have cocooned everyone for miles around, storing them for food. After freeing several other immobilised individuals, including his boss's sexy daughter Sara (Brooke Nevin), Cooper and company set out to locate their nearest and dearest.

Oversized insects have been terrorising the world of movies ever since the '50s; Infestation doesn't offer anything particularly new to the genre, warming up a hodge-podge of ingredients borrowed from many a big bug movie (Starship Troopers and Eight Legged Freaks automatically spring to mind).

The resultant narrative is a bit of a mess, hindered by awkward editing, pointless exchanges of dialogue that affect the pacing, and plot threads which end abruptly; however, plenty of huge chitinous creatures (including several cool human/insect hybrids), a likable cast, a smattering of gore, and even a spot of gratuitous female nudity (courtesy of blonde weather girl Cindy, played by Kinsey Packard) ensure that Infestation proves to be a reasonably enjoyable slice of B-movie nonsense nonetheless.

I was shocked to see it was a great film

Author: Tonci Pivac from New Zealand
3 May 2011

I hadn't heard anything about this film before I saw it. This made for quite an interesting viewing experience. Set in a town somewhere in America, Cooper, a bit of a waster, is about to be fired from his job when a piercing noise knocks everyone out…

Cooper wakes up to find himself covered in some kind of white webbing. He pulls it off himself only to be confronted by a three foot long insect that immediately attacks him. Having fought several of these bugs off, he goes and finds his boss, Maureen, who is disorientated. They figure out they have been out for several days and Maureen suddenly remembers her daughter, Sara, was outside in a car. Cooper goes outside to get her but Maureen follows and is crying out when she is suddenly taken away by a flying bug. Cooper and Sara make it to a diner and, having woken everyone up there, decide to go to his father's house, about a days' walk away. They also discover that the bugs can't see, they only react to sound, so it's very important to stay quiet. The group consists of Cooper, Sara, Cindy (a weather girl), Hugo & Albert (father & son) and Leechee (a student). The set off and make it to another building before nightfall. Cooper makes it no secret he's interested in Sara, but she rebuffs his attentions. They decide to capture one of the bugs and test its venom. Leechee does the test and they find it's mostly a sedative. The next morning they move on but Leechee stays behind to wake more people and study the bugs further. The journey is dangerous and more revelations are to be made, but I'll stop here, don't want to give too much away!

I was quite surprised, for a B-movie type film, it's pretty well made. The effects, although not the best, aren't all that bad. The dialogue could have done with a bit more work, but there were one or two good one-liners in there. Decent performances from all of the main cast, honourable mentions go to Chris Marquette as Cooper, Brooke Nevin as Sara, Kinsey Packard as Cindy, E. Quincy Sloan as Hugo, Wesley Thompson as Albert, Linda Park as Leechee and Ray Wise as Ethan (he had the best comedy lines).

This wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't great either. I think the main problem was I didn't particularly like Cooper at the beginning, he grew on me as the film progressed, but I still didn't find him particularly likable. Also, the big fight at the end was a bit of a let down. So, over all, it's got a few laughs, the CGI is pretty good but it has some poor effects towards the end. Not bad, but not great.

Another brainless bug movie

Author: metalrage666 from Australia
4 May 2014

Unlike the fun of other recent movies such as 8 Legged Freaks, Infestation is just plain stupid. It is supposed to be a horror-comedy but this is neither horror or comedy and is just some haphazard attempt at movie making.

For some unexplained reason, large CGI bugs, which appear to look like over-sized beetles and wasps, have taken over the earth and cocooned everyone in sight.

Movie starts on a typical work day and within 5 minutes a large ear-piercing noise is heard which knocks everyone unconscious. The next we know, every human being is cocooned in webs. One of them manages to wake up and sets about freeing others that are trapped. They appear to have no recollection of what has really happened but they work out they've been cocooned for several days.

Pretty soon after several encounters with over-sized beetles and wasps, which thankfully manage to pick off a few of the more annoying members of the reanimated group, we learn that the bugs are largely blind and respond to various forms of noise. That knowledge however doesn't seem to stop them from walking around outside talking as if they're on a Sunday stroll, but we're not supposed to notice that I guess.

The group doesn't seem to have any goal or direction except to try and lay low and get somewhere they can defend, while also wanting to get back to their various homes, loved ones etc. all of which they fail dismally at. To make matters worse, if you manage to get stung by one of these wasps, the venom doesn't kill you, it transforms you into some kind of weird spiderlike bug/human hybrid instead.

There is no real story here and unfortunately this movie is only part one of what was going to be a trilogy. The movie ends on a cliffhanger after they penetrate bug hive so it doesn't really end at all. I have no idea why they would bother to make 3 movies when this mess is already too much but as of this release there has not been any other sequels planned, maybe it did poorer than expected but who knows. It's a bunch of no names reacting to CGI bugs, so budget doesn't seem to be a factor.

I said this was brainless and it is. I couldn't even consider this funny as every character was just too annoying. Our main "hero" tries to rescue the bosses daughter at the start, (a boss that just fired him from his job) and while she's all woozy and disorientated, she's coherent enough to mace him in the eyes like any would-be pervert and he still manages to fall in love with her!? Yet when one of the other girls strips nude and tries to get intimate he rejects her. I'm guessing that's the black humour they were talking about, but I just found it irritating.

Also in what I consider to be a massive plot hole, if the bugs respond to noise, how did they manage to locate and cocoon every single human everywhere if everyone was unconscious and not making noise? Every person in their cars, offices, homes, shops etc. are cocooned. So are we to believe there was no one who managed to be in a secluded area at the time such as a basement or windowless storeroom that managed to escape being cocooned? It's just a dumb movie that makes no sense and everyone in it is painful to watch and what's really scary is that at some point 2 more of these could be made. God help us all.

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]