IMDb > Drakmar: A Vassal's Journey (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Drakmar: A Vassal's Journey More at IMDbPro »

I cannot stop crying.

Author: epersimmon from United States
17 June 2007

This movie moved me to my soul. It is beautiful and moving in the best way. If you don't immediately do everything that you can to see it, then I don't know what to say to you. Don't be fooled by the description -- yes, it is about a kid who is into Renaissance reenactments. But it is so much more. This young man is incredibly noble and sweet, and what he deals with and what he goes through... it's hard for me to talk about how it moved me without giving too much away. I have literally been weeping for ten minutes. In a good way. Many documentaries stay so far away from their subjects that they make it difficult to identify. Not this one. You will be entertained, and you will be changed. I mean it.

Not just geeks and freaks

Author: Kaz21 from United States
1 July 2007

Nerd, geek, or just plain weird, whatever you want to call them some people are delightfully different from the rest of us and for this reason, they are fascinating to watch. Drakmar: A Vassal's Journey is much more than a voyeuristic glimpse into the lives of Colin and Corwin Taylor, two fatherless brothers from San Diego. Colin, 14, seeks refuge from the pain of abandonment in the eccentric but noble world of D&D, knights, chivalry and ladies-in-waiting (do you know the difference between a "low" dragon and a "high" dragon?). Colin (Drakmar) is mesmerizing to watch and listen to because of his authenticity, intellect and absolute love for a bygone world. Colin is also a whirlpool of emotions about his life, his future and his father (he vows to kick the father he has never met "in the nuts" if he ever sees him). Co-directors, Cretton and Frank must be commended for having the courage to take this cute little documentary to a whole new level. Drakmar: A Vassal's Journey is not just a story about geeks and freaks but rather it is a tale of forgiveness, restoration and hope. In other words, it's a tale in the best Arthurian tradition.