IMDb > Milan (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Milan More at IMDbPro »

Not very complex nor much of a message

Author: YarkoTheWarbler from Uruguay
16 October 2009

I took away a gently worded message that "war is hell. Whoops sorry, war is inconvenient"; and that there are unintended victims of war.

Even in a 10-minute film, issues and characters could be fleshed out so much more. Even if the politics of the war (why NATO decided to bomb them, or why there is a conflict in the first place) are deliberately avoided, and even if the main characters are deliberately presented as simple simple people... Still. Many of the scarce minutes were spent in scenes that moved nothing forward.

For me, the high point of the film was a convincing performance by the stunning Bojana Zecevic as a nurse. She had a small role that in a full length film would be called a minor cameo. Where is her fan site? I hope she has a busy and long career.

Heart Felt and Obvious

Author: boblipton from New York City
4 June 2009

This short subject about the effect on war -- or perhaps on non-war -- on the lives of people who have little to do with the decisions, is very well told, with decent performances -- so far as I, can judge since I know no Serbian -- and some beautiful shots -- the final shot of Milan walking through the grass is quite beautiful.

The film is, of course, far too short to make any subtle points and, insofar as responsibility for the entire mess is assessed, is laid completely at the feet of NATO. Quite possibly I am expecting too much depth and insight in a short film, but errors of brevity, when it comes to issues like these, are as dangerous as any other.