IMDb > April Fool's Day (2008) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

So, so bad...

Author: slasherguyy
21 March 2008

One of the worst remakes I have ever seen! The trailer looked kinda cheap, but seriously this at least looked like it was going to be somewhat entertaining. If you thought "The Wicker Man" remake was unintentionally hilarious, wait until you see this movie because it has one of the most laughable endings I have ever seen in a "serious" horror movie like this. Try to avoid this one if you can, and if you are looking for a serious and entertaining remake...look elsewhere! Seriously, the joke was on us when they made this piece of crap. I cannot believe how bad this movie turned out to be. It's definitely one of the worst of 2008 so far and I feel for the people who go out and buy this movie on DVD. This should, at least, debut in the bargain bin.

This piece of crap tells the story about a group of friends, led by Desiree (Taylor Cole) and her brother Blaine (Josh Henderson), who host a party and play a prank, which causes the accidental death of Milan (Sabrina Aldridge). A year later, someone begins sending the friends threatening messages as they begin getting killed off one by one...in hilarious ways. The 80 something minutes this movie lasts for consists of the great, talented and beautiful Taylor Cole walking around in a mini-skirt and high heels, followed by some hilarious death scenes. That is all this movie has to offer.

The death scenes were absolutely hilarious in this film, and all of them were hilarious...especially the last one. The last one was so funny I could not stop laughing. It was supposed to be some "serious" twist, but I just couldn't stop laughing. I'd say for that scene alone, this movie is worth seeing. I seriously hope the directors weren't actually serious when they were making these death scenes as they were just too funny. Part of the twist did annoy me though. Even though I hated this movie, this movie is worth watching with not just a drop of alcohol, but a lot of it because it will make the experience even more funnier.

There is no suspense, tension, scares or anything like that. This is a children-friendly PG horror movie which could debut on TV in the middle of a sunny afternoon. I read a review the other day claiming this movie looked theatrical. Hmmm, that must have been another movie they were talking about as this movie looks, and feels cheap. I should also mention the fact that the killer is completely predictable and they may as well have spelled it out for us. There is minimal blood and violence in the movie, which I didn't mind, but the fact that there is no tension or suspense or anything of the sort to make up for it annoyed me. Lets not forget about the soundtrack which sounded like something from a soap opera.

The acting in the movie is a mixed package. Taylor Cole, Scout Taylor Compton and Josh Henderson are great, whereas the others were just forcing it and felt like they were reading their lines on cue. To be honest, they looked like they weren't really bothered...and you can't really blame them. The extras were mostly bad, and the characters, for the most part, were all unlikeable rich kids. Desiree is the only character you'll enjoy in this movie (even though she's a complete bitch)...mainly because she's easy on the eyes.

Which is exactly what the movie feels like - a 90 minute, AWFUL soap opera. A soap opera which is a one-off special featuring the cast members dying in hilarious ways. It's a parody really and I just don't believe that this movie should be taken seriously by anyone. It's astonishingly bad and for a remake it is absolutely pathetic. I cannot believe I actually thought this would be at least good. This movie should only be watched for Taylor Cole, Scout Compton, Josh Henderson and the LAUGHS. This is surprisingly one of the worst remakes ever.

I said it once, and I'll say it again. The joke was on us.

Unfortunately Terrible

Author: jhanse29 from United States
28 March 2008

This is a movie very lightly based on the '80s slasher of the same name. The original wasn't anywhere near the best of the slasher movies so I could only think that this movie could easily equal it's predecessor. The acting was pretty bad for most of the supporting characters but I still am having a hard time figuring out if it's the actors fault or the directors. I don't know. Blaine and Desiree did on OK job with the material they were given.

Its cinematography was terrible. The quick zooms of the camera was very much something I'd expect from a teenager filming skits with friends. The score in this film was laughable. I don't know where they got the idea to use some of the music but it ruined any little bit of suspense that they managed to build.

This was one of the worse movies I have seen in a long time. I had very low expectations for this film but am baffled at how bad it really was.

The film-makers pulled a mean April Fools Day joke...on us!

Author: Prolox from Canada
25 March 2008

A year after a young girl is killed at a party on April Fools Day, the kids responsible for the crime start receiving notes by someone who is threatening them with death if one of them doesn't step up to take blame for the accident they caused, naturally they refuse & in true slasher tradition, a maniac starts knocking them off one by one, who looks mysteriously like the girl they accidentally killed a year prior, or did she die...? Supposed remake of the 1986 film is not a remake at all, but rather a poor mans take on remaking I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER, in fact it's so unlike the earlier picture that you can't really kick on it being another remake, it's really that different! the only resemblance to the earlier picture is the twist ending & the day it falls on, there's no jokes being played on anyone like the original, the film is set in the city not at a creepy secluded mansion on an island, heck it doesn't even play like a Friday The 13th rip off like the earlier movie did, it's plot like I stated rips off I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER!, even some of the characters & situations resembled that movie, the the death threats, the characters who refuse to go to the police, the whole princess being killed thing I could go on, heck it even rips off the ending of SCREAM! (Note to the film-makers this is not 1996!) the characters are all despicable that you'll soon be rooting for the killer to pick them off, the look & feel of the film feels like a made for TV movie & the direction is rather dull, the actors all put in a good performance, but no matter how hard they try, they can't save this film from pure boredom & even die hard horror fans will be disappointed by the lack of suspense & buildup before any of the death scenes & there's nothing whatsoever to hold your interest throughout the films running time, in fact you may find yourself either nodding off or checking your watch several times to see how long the film will be before it ends. There's a couple of kills with some light blood effects, but nothing at all memorable. Another loser from the Butcher Brothers (the other being their mediocre first film THE HAMILTONS) Avoid this film, it has nothing really to offer horror fans & you'll wind up being just like me & most of the other reviewers on this board, who have commented & complained about this movie, you'll be wasting an hour & a half of your life that you can't get back. There's good reason the studio dumped this baby directly to DVD instead of giving it a theatrical release. Shame on Executive Producer FRANK MANCUSO JR. for tricking fans into believing this was a remake & overall allowing this tripe to be released. Saved from my zero rating due to the acting alone.

* star

I Know What You Did Last April's Fool Day

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
13 January 2009

In the débutant ball of the socialite Torrance Caldwell (Scout Taylor-Compton) on April, 1st 2007, the jealous and futile millionaire Desiree Cartier (Taylor Cole) dilutes a powerful drug in the champagne of her dislikable acquaintance Milan Hastings (Sabrina Ann Aldridge) and her reckless brother Blaine Cartier (Josh Henderson) takes sexual advantage of Milan. Desiree tapes the situation with a camcorder while her friends Torrance, Barbie (Jennifer Siebel) and Peter Welling (Samuel Child), Charles Lansford (Joseph McKelheer) and Ryan (Joe Egender) snoop the couple in Blaine's bedroom. However, Milan has a seizure and falls off the balcony immediately dying. The group goes to court, Blaine looses the control of the family's fortune that shifts to Desiree, but they are considered innocents and the death of Milan is considered a fatality in a prank. One year later, each one of them receive a letter mustering them up to Milan's grave. While gathered in the cemetery, they receive a package telling that each one of them would die until the end of the day if the responsible for the death of Milan does not assume the guilty.

The association of "April's Fool Day" with the franchises "I Know What You Did Last Summer" and "Cruel Intentions" is immediate. The author has certainly inspired in these movies to write his plot, and I noted that this is not only my impression, but there is at least another IMDb User that had the same feeling. However, the unoriginal, unbelievable and predictable story is not totally bad and entertains. The good point of this flick is the camera work, with long travelings and original planes and angles. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Dia da Mentira" ("Day of the Lie" (literally), meaning "April Fool's Day")

If you pay to see this, then the joke is on you!

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
1 June 2008

One year after the accidental death of pretty goody-two-shoes Milan, a group of friends find themselves targeted by a mysterious killer.

You would think that, no matter how bad the film might be overall, there would be a certain level of satisfaction to be had from watching a bunch of spoilt, over-privileged, and thoroughly obnoxious, good-looking socialites being murdered; April Fool's Day '08 goes to prove otherwise.

The latest dud to join a long list of recent awful horror remakes, this joyless and pointless effort from directors The Butcher Brothers (Mitchell Altieri and Phil Flores) keeps the whole 'it was all an elaborate hoax' element from the original, but ditches practically everything else. The result is a dire yawn-fest that is totally scare-free, features several particularly dreadful performances from a relatively talent-free cast (Scout Taylor-Compton, please stay away from the genre in future), and finishes with a completely unbelievable denouement that should have most sane people demanding their money back from the theatre.

Avoid at all costs!

Uninvolving, routine, '90s horror retread

Author: VinnieRattolle from United States
28 March 2008

I got over my disgust that they were remaking one of my all-time favorite films and went into this one with a completely open mind -- I saw the trailer but I purposely didn't read a single thing about it. It seemed strange that the film skipped cinemas, but now I understand why. I didn't think any film could be this bad.

Strangely, there's a beautiful production design, and most of the actors are good (though the fact that everyone in the cast is model-pretty is a bit disconcerting). Unfortunately, the script is truly abysmal. After 20 minutes of getting to know the characters -- all of whom are wholly unlikable -- the story actually begins, and from that point on it becomes a routine I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER rip-off, sans the suspense, gore and intentional humor of that film. The only thing lifted from the 1986 film is the title, a character with a videocamera (which had nothing to do with the plot itself in the original) and the theatrical twist ending -- though they tried to trump the twist here, which resulted in one of the most predictable and unintentionally hilarious moments in the history of film.

This film feels like one of the clones that followed in the wake of SCREAM. If you've seen a horror movie since 1997, don't bother with this one. But if you're masochistic enough to endure the film, make sure to stay through the closing credits for an extra scene -- after all, there's no other extras anywhere on the disc.

An OK movie with a twist...

Author: jvilla53 from Philippines
23 August 2009

This movie provides you with the basics of a slasher movie: starts out with a festive occasion that then becomes a horrific scene. Then the fun begins, as someone gets cut up in here and another in the next. But the real fun begins when it reaches the ending... there's a twist (actually, 2 twists) that left me feeling shocked, relieved, the shocked again, then angry. If you want to know what I'm talking about, watch it. At your own risk. The movie is dull and boring the first half and gets more and more exciting as it goes on. I'm not exactly sure if I like this movie because I somewhat feel disappointed but at the same time satisfied at what I just watched. The final judgment: it's up to you.

I know what you did last April fools day

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
17 March 2008

*** This comment may contain spoilers *** First I would like to say that I didn't like the original movie that was made in 1986 but after watching the this remake I did like original better them before!. , Lets talks about the original movie first as the plots are different.

In the Original movie the film begins as a group of college friends gather to celebrate spring break spending the weekend at the island mansion of their friend, Muffy St. John (Foreman), on the weekend leading up to Aprill fools day The tone is set almost immediately with Muffy preparing details around the house, Her friends, meanwhile, are joking around on the pier, then on the ferry to the island. Nikki Brashares (Goodrich) is initially caught on videotape, pretending to be making a introduction of herself as a sweet and virtuous Catholic girl, ending with "I **** on the first date". The video camera is a way to introduce most of the characters of Muffy's friends. But en route to the island, a local deckhand is seriously injured in a gruesome accident.

Then you find people started to get killed of one by one off screen and then Muffy soon find more of her dead friends body, then find out it all one big prank on her. I didn't care about this movie as I hated it, boring and waste of time, I would have gave it 3/10 now after seeing this remake I going to give it 6/10

Now let talk about remake, This movie was more like I know what did last April fools day (is that great title or what ) anyway this plot is some-what different as Each April fool's Day, fabulously wealthy young Desiree Cartier hosts the most killer coming-out parties at her to-die-for southern mansion. And this social event is never complete without one of her patented pranks but this year prank goes wrong and ending up killing a person.

Then the movies fast forwards to year later where Desiree is reading the paper of one year later mystery still remains then her butler give her invitations and goes to that place and see all of four friends that organised the prank, only to find out someone has killed one there friends and recorded , then more body to turn up dead, one by one. (One death scene is on Screen) but then friends are no longer friends only for to find out Desiree was the one that spiked the girl drink that they killed year ago only then to find out that whole thing is one big prank. (who didn't see coming , oh wait this is a remake, so everyone knew).

It doesn't end here as there is a little twist I didn't see coming and I was little bit shocked (some will find it really (REALLY) silly) I liked this ending better. The acting is really bad (Everyone in this movie good looking but still no nudity I would have rated little higher) I am going to give this movie a 4/10

Really bad without a lot going for it

Author: slayrrr666 (slayrrr666@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles, Ca
25 May 2010

"April Fool's Day" is an utterly terrible and nearly pointless slasher entry.

**SPOILERS**

At a special party, Torrence Caldwell, (Scout-Taylor Compton) finds that Desiree Cartier, (Taylor Cole) welcomes her into the society that friends Blaine Cartier, (Josh Henderson) Barbie, (Jennifer Siebel Newsom), Peter Welling, (Samuel Child) Milan Hastings, (Sabrina Aldride) Charles Lansford, (Joseph McKelheer) and Ryan, (Joe Egender) aren't that happy with, figuring it's merely a set-up for a cruel prank. As the party goes on, they catch her in the middle of a prank only for one of the guests to be accidentally killed during the event. When the pressure from the public has died down from the high-profile incident, they start to wonder about the validity of a series of incidents that have them convinced someone's pulling a prank on them, but when the group suddenly starts to die off, they race to find the killer before it's too late.

The Good News: There was a few parts to this that can be managed to say were decent about it. There's a couple of actually really good stalking scenes in here, namely the first one done through the web-cam as the killer goes about his job. As it's filmed through the killer's viewpoint, it has a real hint of suspense to it as they wind their way through the surroundings up to the unsuspecting victim, the interactions set-up our feelings toward it quite easily as it's a proved suspense tactic, and then finally the way they're dispatched is quite shocking and ends the scene nicely. Another rather well-done stalking is the one in the parking garage, for it's a hectic scene within the cramped space, the fact that there's no idea who's behind it all, and with the way the action unfolds within, including being chased down on a straightaway section and chasing behind in their car, make this one quite thrilling and injects some excitement into this one. The last good stalking scene is that big one at the end, which is a prolonged and extremely extracted sequence within the mansion. Due to the large rooms, the number they visit and the thrill of trying not to be caught because of the killer appearing there, it manages to become quite chilling and highly creepy, which is what it should be. Once captured and tied up, it becomes a little better due to the hint of not knowing what's going to happen next, and it really plays this section up right. The last good part to this one is that the opening party scene prank is actually well-done, set-up nicely and feels like an appropriate sequence done at real-life parties of this type, and it feels really good. That's all that's right with this one, though.

The Bad News: This one here has a ton of problems with it that really drag it down. The biggest issue with this one is the fact that the film has utterly no suspense at all from the kills, since the stalkings are done with absolutely nothing done to make them involving or thrilling for the viewer. A victim feels something is wrong, is given evidence to the contrary and believes it's safe, then comes the kill-shot every time. It doesn't work when it's repeatedly done, as despite the few good ones mentioned above, the majority are played off as lame, boring and just drag on so long, they eventually can't become anything more than tired and cliché-riddled. The fact that the victims in here are terrified of the killer through the lame stalking shown in here is a joke and wipes out a ton of feelings from the film. That also makes the fact that the kills are just down-right bloodless and utterly uninteresting another monumental flaw to get over. Since there's absolutely nothing about these kills to get worked up, excited or even grossed-out over, mentioning them accomplishes nothing but merely derision for the fact that they were allowed to remain in a film and not at all be changed to make a slasher fan interested in what happened in here. It's tame, lame and just makes it that much easier to despise this film. One more big hurdle to get over is the fact that this one has a rather tame feeling across the board, in spite of the gore, since it features an MTV-like feeling with it's pretty, popular faces lining the cast, bland stalking in sure-fire suspenseful sequences, and it's rather big issue, not a lot of scares but placed instead with them pouting or looking sullenly at each other no matter the situation. Coupled with the hyper-excessive editing when it doesn't need it, this one's glossy look and feel will wear thin with many of the more traditional fans of the genre out there. The last flaw to this one is the fact that there's just no way around explaining the stupidity amongst the final twist at the end. It manages to re-write the entire film so that it can appear to be shocking when it's finally revealed, and is just lame, and all for merely being able to say it fooled the audience. There's no purpose to it, and it even ends the film on a sour note. Some might find a problem with the fact that this is a remake, but it's a personal preference bit and has nothing to do with the film itself.

The Final Verdict: Filled with a lot of problems and not a lot of positive good ones to raise it up, this one here is a pretty bad film without a lot going for it. Really only give this a chance if you're a fan of an actor or the style appeals to you, while the fans of the original or hardcore horror traditionalists should avoid this one.

Rated R: Graphic Language and Graphic Violence

Worst "surprise" ending ever !!

Author: from Belgium
23 July 2009

This movie has nothing in common with the original "April Fool's Day" from 1986. The story is taken directly from "Prom Night" and "I Know What You Did Last Summer" (without any imagination). "Prom Night" also had a remake last year, and not a good one either. So no original story, what about the gore, because after all, it is supposed to be a slasher. Well, again disappointment. It all has the look of a PG-13 movie and that is actually the case here. No thrills, no excitement, and the story has been done way too many times. Although the acting isn't bad, the worst thing has yet to come: the so called "surprising ending" with a twist you did not see coming !! Yeah, right... this was so lame and poorly executed, a complete waste of time. If you did not see that one coming, you must have been asleep during the whole story.

I didn't expect much to begin with, but this is below all standards. Watch the 1986 version instead. Or "I Know what you did", but forget this one.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]