IMDb > Splice (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Splice

Splice More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 36: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

So this is how science works?

Author: Michael Jespersen from Denmark
3 January 2013

I found Splice in a bargain bin in a local video store, saw the names Guillermo Del Toro and Adrien Brody on the cover, and thought "Why not?". It does though turn out that Guillero Del Toro had very little to do with the movie, definitely not enough to warrant his name on the cover.

The story of this movie is thin... very thin. And all the "science" in this movie is so incredibly unbelievable that it is staggering. Appearantly, throwing together a bunch of random DNA strings creates a strong, viable creature. Usually science involves a great deal of trial-and-error, and randomly combining a bunch of DNA would probably yield hundreds of failed specimens before anything remotely viable was created. Yet in Splice they get an overwhelmingly strong result in the very first try, with little explanation as to why.

Whenever you randomly tamper with the body and with DNA, 99.99% of the results will always be negative to the creature. Yet in Splice, they manage to create a creature vastly superior to humans with no apparent drawbacks at all. Appearantly all those million years of evolution that made us was pointless, all it takes is two scientists spending a short montage worth of work to creature a super-creature.

I might sound like I focus too much on this aspect of the movie, but it made the whole thing incredibly unbelievable to me. Whoever wrote the movie must have spent a very small amount of time reading up on scientific theory and genetics before writing the script. The lingo of the scientists is also way off.

To sum it up, if you have the slightest interest in scientifically accurate movies, do not watch this movie If you have the slightest interest in believable character development, do not watch this movie If you want to see a dude have intercourse with a woman/fish/bird/scorpion/rabbit hybrid, watch Splice

Challenging, thoughtful, disturbing movie

Author: brockparks from Canada
26 June 2011

A great movie - the first third is electrifying, the second third is unnerving, and the last third, though more clichéd, is horrific and disturbing. Sara h Polly and Adrien Brody do a great job with a smart script that treats the subject of genetic engineering in a worst-case scenario situation. The whole atmosphere and situation of the inhuman child, which we see from an inhuman fetal stage all the way through to full adulthood, is nail-bitingly gripping. The effects and creature design are among the very best I have ever seen, and the combination of the animal and the human suggests deformity and aberration in a way that makes the viewer uncomfortable, which I think is the point. The actress who play the creature also does an amazing job bridging the unpredictability of an animal and the vulnerability of a human child. If you loved Cronenberg's THE FLY, watch this!

An unbelievably cold and strange sci-fi flick which makes the cut because of it's sheer originality and well-crafted story

Author: kallepalli-sashank from India
21 June 2011

Well,I was amazed to be honest,literally amazed when I saw the trailer because it's been a while since I saw a movie made on the same lines as the cronenberg classics.The "man creates rare specimen-turned frankenstein" type of films was widely used in the 70's and most importantly the 80's and I kinda liked that category of sci-fi thrillers so it took me almost 8 months till I finally got my hands on it and thought I was gonna see a typical sci-fi thriller which takes you all the way,but I did'nt see what I expected...

The plot revolves around two scientists,a couple,with a taste for doing the extraordinary and finally go for it when the try to splice human with animal DNA against the orders of their superiors which proves a touch costly when the result turns out to be an animal-human hybrid which looks all but friendly,initially it turns out to be friendly but as it grows...things change.

My heart tells me to tell you more about the unexpected twists and turns the story takes but I just don't wanna spoil the thrills which I experienced and trust me it's something like never before...

When I was seeing this movie I kinda had that perpetual deja vu maybe because it gave me that lurch in the stomach,that kind of feeling you had when you saw classics like "The Fly"..

Well ,the reason why I am not giving it an 8 or a 9 is mainly because of the casting..

Sarah Polley was anything but impressive in her role,she lacked that energy or enthusiasm of a rogue scientist and was mostly irritating,Adrien Brody did'nt look like a circumspect rogue-scientist,in fact he had that Mr. Nice guy look all through the film but still impresses and I still feel that the role of adrein brody's brother in the film could have been given more screen time to add that moral edge to the movie..

Splice is a highly absorbing,engaging and even thrilling sci-fi flick which packs a good punch and carries a rare originality through it's story and screenplay.I could have given it an 8 or a 9 but for the casting.I still give it a decent 7/10.

Omg. Hahaha what did I just watch??!

Author: rooprect from New York City
25 April 2012

Lol... Seriously, what did I just watch?? I can't decide if this movie is brilliant, cheezy, profound, juvenile, disgusting or the biggest turn-on since "I Spit On Your Grave". I'm not sure if you'll love or hate this flick, but if you will definitely NOT forget it.

As you can guess from the movie posters, the story is about an artificially-engineered humanoid who's pretty hot. Let your imagination take it from there. What makes this story so memorable is that the writers aren't afraid to take it wherever it needs to go. And then some. Like if you thought "Species" was perverse, it looks like "The Flying Nun" compared to this.

Just to throw some words out there: incest, bestiality, rape, science, incest. And yes, I know I said it twice.

I found myself, in the depths of my twisted mind, thinking "woah, wouldn't it be crazy if (such and such) happens..." and sure enough it does, only to be followed by "oh but they wouldn't dare let (such and such) happen..." and sure enough it does again. Normally I would say predictability is a flaw, but in this case it's thrilling. The whole experience is like a voyeuristic romp, testing the limits of how screwed-up the writers' (and your own) imagination can get. The point being, I'm sure, to show just how morally wrong it is for scientists to engage in vivisection & the creation of life. This is like Frankenstein on steroids.

Like seriously, my hippie brethren, put down your picket signs and just show this movie on street corners... You'll see an end to vivisection overnight.

Parts of this story seemed ridiculous & comic booky, but just when I'm about to write it off as childish tosh it introduces some incredibly complex themes like a Greek play. You think Oedipus had problems? Hahaha Oedipus never saw SPLICE. It would make him go crying to his momma.

The more I think of it, I think this film is brilliant. Much like "Starship Troopers" was a deep socio-political satire disguised as a campy action flick, I think SPLICE gives us a techno-moral satire disguised as a thriller. But like I said, I have no clue if this is masterpiece material or just plain cheese. Most likely the filmmakers deliberately used elements of both.

If you like scifi satires like "Starship Troopers", "District 9", or scifi morality plays about the creation of new lifeforms as in "Solaris", "Moon", "Alien Resurrection", or the one that started them all, "Frankenstein" (2004 miniseries, the best version), maybe with a bit of "Species" eroticism & "Rosemary's Baby" & "The Omen" & "Mommy Dearest" & "Flowers in the Attic" thrown in, then this is for you. I think...

By the way, y'ever notice how aliens & evolved humanoids always look just like Bjork? Just sayin...

Splice

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
8 October 2010

You know what they say about good intentions.. Bio chemist scientists(and couple)Adrien Brody and Sarah Polley fool around with genetics by splicing animal and human DNA and the result will be devastating. Their work is supposed to be geared towards research which would lead to finding cures for all types of diseases and what these two create is a half-animal/half-human hybrid which is growing at an alarming rate. Polley grows attached to "Dren"(backwards for Nerd), almost a mother/daughter bond but as "she" evolves we see that it is becoming more unpredictable and dangerous not to mention the eventual "gender problem" which develops. A culmination of excellent computer generated and make-up effects highlights this sci-fi horror outing where, once again, science creates a threat to human kind, proving that despite the reasons behind their methods and experiments, it seems when you fool around with genetics only bad can come from it. Some disturbing/weird sex(and especially a bizarre rape/impregnation)between Dren and Brody, and a haunting attack on Polley are featured in SPLICE. The evolution of Dren is quite amazing to behold, and seeing Polley nurturing and raising it with such love and care is particularly heartwrenching once she begins to change into a more malevolent creature.

Spliced Genres, Spliced Genes

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
8 June 2010

You have three basic choices when you seek funding for a film.

You can make what you want regardless of genre-defined market niches. The film can be its own being, a true work of art for better or worse.

Or you can do what most people do: cleave strictly to the rules of a genre at the time you are making the film. These rules allow for some very sophisticated stuff to be done.

But there is a third way, you can splice bits of several genres together. This allows for the possibilities of the best of both of the above worlds. There are filmmakers that do this, more and more recently. This, I think has less to do with viewer effectiveness than the mechanisms by which films are pitched: you have to describe using genre shorthand, so it is handy to say that it is such and such but with so and so. Jane Austen but with Zombies. Haunted house horror, but with slapstick.

This film is about a being that is a splice among several species. As a film, it also is a splice among several genres.

Designers in both cases know that the system will only work if the elements of one component are allowed to breath by denying the components of another component. Success of a splice depends not on what you put in, but what you take away.

If you bother to read the comments here and among critics, they almost exclusively are complaints about what was left out. Each reviewer wants a clean, specific genre and is disappointed that expected things weren't there.

I think if you go into this with the innocence of a new being, you will like it as I did. There is an honesty in Sarah Polley that isn't used well here, but which we know anyway. There is an honest enough portrayal of a quasi-human being. We have a long form story arc that is rich enough to have four films combined in its three acts.

I'm happy to experience an inferred story without having to be worked through it. I'm happy to have four stories each in their own genres slightly sketched and have me fill in all four universes. This almost worked for me, but for a few unacceptable transgressions.

In the beginning, we are meant to believe that the science here is real science.

In order for certain biological processes to be made cinematic, complex interactions are shown via supposed computer graphics that the on-screen scientists would use. But these are so crude and irrelevant they offended me enough to tarnish the whole film.

Likewise, the idea that breakthrough results live and die based on the effectiveness of a ten minute press conference is bizarre. If there were even a hint of a breakthrough people would be breaking the walls down.

I easily allow the fiction that the creature could be made and hidden as depicted. But if they just had not tried to explain things! The splice with that genre just doesn't hold.

This film references the Frankenstein legacy, but the three original films each dealt with science in radically different ways. (See my comments for those films for details.) In none of the three cases were genres spliced. In none was science introspective within a marriage.

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 3: Has some interesting elements.

"Splice" (2009):The Creator has a Master Plan?....Hmmm -not this one-I hope--- YIKES

Author: Jeffery Massey (jmasseysr@gmail.com) from United States
5 July 2011

Just finished watching...Absolutely creepy flick & it made my skin crawl...Horror/Science fiction in the best tradition...Still shaking my head at the presentation of this concept...CHILLINGLY disgusting on a visceral level. Deeply disturbing treatment of human experimentation & scientific investigator's bias in an ethical examination genetic's industry research...Think of the Weyland-Yutani Corporation from the ALIEN film dynasty.

Watching this movie, I felt somehow compelled to see it through the scifi-aficionado lens of Mary Shelley's infamous mad-scientist i.e. God-Complex from "Frankenstein." yet, one must remember that Splice had a very dominant sexual tension with highly Freudian themes involved. In many ways the film addressed Greek tragedy i.e.Oedipal Complex, Shakespearean themes including death of parents at the hands of offspring for supremacy of the bloodline/species. As well, there the Ridley Scott "Alien" meta theme regarding the sexuality of consuming & becoming consumed during the act of creation...e.g. Alien Chest-burster, Face-Hugger of Geiger's design, original Alien ship as female orifice being violated, etc.

Even the theme of human-bestiality e.g. Beauty & the Beast is prevalent. Whew, this movie tackled a lot of ground & that may have been its only downfall; as it often superficially delved into scientific. moral, ethical & socio-philosophical questions raised by such a profound topic. Good try anyway....Thumbs up & would love to see a decent sequel...

Science!

Author: Angry Hippo from United States
18 October 2010

"So like, I'm thinking about writing this movie. It's gonna be about science n'stuff." Seriously, these words must have gone through the writer's mind before composing this atrocity at least once.

Throughout this movie I had to wonder, what is the point of this? Are they saying that gene splicing is only going to create monsters? The recurring theme is that 'some things should just never be done'. Things like leaving the cave. Starting a fire. Inventing a wheel. These things should never be done! Look at the horror that will result! (Fires and cars with wheels KILL PEOPLE) Okay so maybe I'm reading a bit much into what is clearly supposed to be a horror flick. I mean it's not like they did a bit of research before writing this, so I can assume it's just throwaway scares. I could go on for hours about the pseudoscience used in this movie but people would probably be like 'oh you're just projecting realism on a work of fiction. We don't need things like settings to enjoy a movie!' I found myself wondering why not one but two mad scientists were required for this movie. Why couldn't one of these hipster sciencey types put together two brain cells and stop the other from being insane? Love? Depravity? Who knows, it didn't make sense.

The fact that the research group is called NERD makes me cringe. Could we have some acronym that's just a little less retarded? Maybe this appeals to the facebook generation, but it's terribly cliché. WE'RE NERDS LOL WE DO SCIENCE AND LISTEN TO HEAVY METAL.

The actor playing Dern was talented. I mean zero lines and all you gotta do is twitch like a monkey on cocaine, but aside from that she was pretty and talented. I think.

So kids just remember to lock your doors, fasten your windows, and pray to god those evil scientists don't make any monsters that will fly down and stab you in the night!

"Watch, If You Have an Appetite for Uniquely Strange Story"

Author: kimi_layercake from India
2 November 2010

"Splice" is a science fiction cum horror film concerning Clive (Adrien Brody) and Elsa (Sarah Polley), two young rebellious scientists who are told by their employers to halt their groundbreaking work that has seen them produce new creatures with medical benefits by splicing together multiple organisms' DNA. They decide to secretly continue their work, but this time splicing in human DNA. But, like every creations; it has its good as well as bad aspects. And things turn unexpectedly with grave consequences.

Cast-wise, confused. Adrien Brody wasn't exactly suited for the role. He seems quite unnatural for the role of a geek scientist. Neither his unkempt hair nor nerd body were convincing enough. On the other hand, Sarah Polley was a bigger disappointment. She was just plain straight irritating. Her acting, expressions, dialogue delivery was all absurd. Overall, the casting was not credible enough.

"Splice" strength lies in its strange or rather unusual storyline, amazingly stupid or unique creature design and it's ending, where a lot happens to give an entirely new significance to the movie. On the other side, its absurd casting is a big letdown.

Overall, "Splice" is a unique science fiction movie with a strange yet unparalleled plot. The degree of liking a person will evolve for this movie is directly relative to how he/she digests the unusual plot.

My Verdict: 7/10

So Intense and Creepy, You Can't Take Your Eyes Off the Screen

Author: aharmas from United States
6 June 2010

Good movies sometimes are memorable. Great movies crawl inside your skin and make you part of the experience. Romantic movies make you cry and swoon, comedies give you a good time, but scary, intelligent films push the boundaries of your resistance and beliefs. Many times classics are made this way, and the last time I felt so passionate about a Sci-Fi film, Sigourney (Ripley) was challenging a certain predator to the ultimate duel. Imagine a creature scarier and more seductive than that, one who can potentially outsmart you because it is very similar to you...

Exploring the creation and manipulation of life and playing God has always been fascinating. It's been tackled before, and usually the consequences are, to put it mildly, problematic. In this film, maybe because of recent scientific and technological advances, the premise is not so far fetched anymore, as two young, revolutionary scientists embark on a journey they might not be ready to tackle. Before they can evaluate what they have created, a hybrid being of their own creation has become a dominant force in their lives, and this is just the beginning of their problems.

Soon, the beautiful and intimidating Dren shows that she is unlikely anything else we have ever seen, and as she evolves from baby through adulthood, we discover interacting with her can be potentially lethal. With the help of a very self-assured direction, the film has a tight grip on its audience, and we are always experiencing a surge of adrenaline as we know something bad lurks around our two protagonists, and we never know when it will strike, or how destructive the strike will be. Physically Dren is very different, incapable of human speech and with a very scary appendage. It's only her seductive beauty that lowers our defenses, and eventually we discover what is the source of her grip on our protagonist, and the implications are extremely controversial and unethical.

Beyond the scientific and ethical issues brought up in the film is an action film unlike anything we have seen before, one that explores the mental and physical connections between the creator and the creature, and this one successful connects the audience to the source material, as we experience wonder, fear, revulsion, disgust, and a series of emotions rarely seen in films anymore. It helps that actors of the caliber of Brody and Pauley play their parts adroitly. They are believable as both scientists and risky mavericks.

Beautifully shot, expertly written, flawlessly acted, and with perfect direction, "Splice" is a welcome new entry in a genre that has grown tired over the last decade. This film feels as if De Palma and Cronenberg are working together at their peaks, infusing a story with atmospheric tension, darkness, and intelligence, and to top it all plenty of style. Here is a film that shows the potential implications of a field that is in its infancy, but that maybe should be stay where it is... after all, why should people mess with something they can't or might not ever understand or control?