IMDb > Splice (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Playing of God

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
9 April 2011

Clive Nicoli (Adrien Brody) and Elsa Kast (Sarah Polley) are scientists of the Newstead Pharmaceutics researching the splice of DNA from different animals to form new genetic beings and find medical benefits to mankind. They have just created the hybrid Ginger and Fred and now they intend to join together human DNA to alter the genetic structure of their experiment. When the senior management calls off their experiment, they decide to secretly proceed and they generate a life form with human characteristics. They call it Dren (Delphine Chaneac) and Elsa is very fond of their creation that grows up fast and showing intelligence. When the company shutdown their experiment, they bring Dren to Elsa's abandoned farm and the scientists raise Dren like a daughter. But when it reaches adulthood, the sex drive of Dren is activated and Clive and Elsa learn that they have a serious problem to resolve.

"Splice" is a dramatic sci-fi horror film with the story of two young unethical scientists that decide to play God. The plot is unoriginal but is attractive and engaging, specially because the trio formed by Sarah Polley, Adrian Brody and Delphine Chanéac. The childhood trauma of Elsa is absolutely out of the context and a diversion to the mainstream. The special effects and make-up are awesome, transforming the gorgeous French actress Delphine Chanéac in a creature with an exotic beauty. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Splice – A Nova Espécie" ("Splice – The New Specie")

Wonderful and Different - Awesome!

Author: swaxolez from Canada
4 June 2010

I had no idea going into this movie what to expect. I figured, genetic dabbling - should be fun? Instead, it completely threw me for a loop. The best advice is to not read the reviews because they spoil the all the fun. Without saying too much. There is wonderful dark humour, suspense, audacity, and head shaking all wrapped into one really inventive movie. Of course there is outlandishness to the movie but give me a break - I suppose Aliens hissing metal eating acid is perfectly acceptable. I find it completely asinine to expect scientific perfection from a Sci-Fi horror movie as so many negative reviewers seem to need. And really, I thought the movie did a fine job of being plausible. I suspect the naysayers are easily offended people with very pristine ego's - get a life! This was a complete success as evidenced by the positive reaction from the film crowd. Definitely not your average American run of the mill Sci-Fi. Sorry for the lack of details but why ruin a good thing - just go watch and enjoy. Definitely one of the most enjoyable movies I've watch in a long time.

Stupid and Tasteless (Spoilers)

Author: umaneo from United States
5 June 2010

The film starts off OK but steadily unravels. By the last third it's off the rails and becomes an insulting mess. Why is it in these kinds of films, if the male lead has sex with the 'monster' it's filmed as an erotic seduction but when the female lead has a sexual encounter with the 'monster' it a violent rape. Worse is that the only words Dren says in the film are a vulgar twist on words 'she' spelled out earlier just at the start of the rape. What a crap trap of a film.I fear Aidrian Brody is on his way to joining the list of actors who should have to give the Oscar back. There obviously talent connected to this film what a shame it was wasted in just another bad 'horrr/sci-fi' film.

Interesting Science Fiction with Intense Issues

Author: Andrew Hawkins (andrew.hawkins@live.com)
7 June 2011

SPLICE has a lot of interesting themes going for it. The issues of raising a child, accepting gender identity and trying to maintain an objective perspective when something you love is the subject of study are all very strongly represented in the story. There are some great rock star science moments that make the film fun and the technology is entertaining if you find it interesting. The main characters Clive and Elsa are pretty much raising a science project through the first two acts. When the experiment becomes self sufficient and gets the intelligent sense to question authority, things get tough. The background story of a company working to harvest miracle genes off bio-engineered organisms secures a solid foundation for the main characters to build on. The film presents motives that are amoral, unethical and rebellious. The story is mostly unflinching and some people in the audience do feel awkward about what they are seeing. DREN is a fantastic character that goes through some drastic evolution. At times it seems like you can side with Elsa and dislike Clive and then you might reconsider that when further events unfold. Every character in this film deals with some seriously brutal events. There are some light and even silly moments to get grounded on and it makes the tough stuff that much more enjoyable when the time comes. If you're willing to take the ride and follow through, SPLICE will guarantee a good time or at least some interesting coffee table conversation. I cant recommend watching this film enough.

whiskey tango foxtrot

Author: Hollis Waite from United States
13 June 2010

This film gets props for pioneering a new genre: the romantic-comedy-scifi-horror-thriller-drama. Production values are too solid for it to be called 'camp' but the lack of realism makes the movie hard to take seriously. The film opens with two lovebird scientists delivering a genetically engineered creature that is sufficiently amazing (and unrealistic) to drive the plot of several movies. In the Parallel Earth of Splice, however, the scientific community is none too impressed by the birthing of a radical new species: "Yeah, those sentient penises you've grown are neat but we'd like to see synthesis of some random protein or we're shutting you down." The H-40 chimeras are quickly forgotten and our heroes move on to the first of several fantastically stupid ideas. For the lulz, they opt to secretly grow a human/animal hybrid. Counter-intuitive as it may be, these two dolts are able to create a freakish humanoid monster with trivial effort and without anyone noticing. The director constantly reminds us that they're are all torn up inside over the attendant ethical dilemmas. As we all know, the characters will do whatever the plot requires and there's no real dramatic tension there. Never mind the outrageous intellectual, temporal and financial resources needed to achieve such a task: Dren, the lovable monster, is born.

The bulk of the movie is occupied by the scientists (Adrien Brody and Sarah Polley) secretly raising CGI monstrosity Delphine Chanéac (Dren) to adulthood. A recurring problem with the story is the inconsistent scientific acumen exhibited by the two leads. They're able to effect implausibly awesome scientific breakthroughs on a whim. On the other hand, they fail to notice things that should be obvious to an undergrad biology major. Is the specimen male or female? Does it have wings? Gills? Maybe they should've given the bitch an X-Ray or something. At one point the dynamic duo fails to even recognize whether Dren is dead or alive. Some of these oversights would be excusable if they were integral to the plot. Too bad they're mostly thrown in for the sake of cheap thrills. As Dren's biology is revealed to be increasingly far-fetched, I sense a truly compelling premise being squandered upon a mediocre movie.

Yet another unforgivable oversight is the needlessly limited communication with Dren. Brody and Polley are constantly wondering what Dren is thinking. Does she understand her origins? What are her hopes and dreams? What does she know of the outside world? Dren communicates via body language and incomprehensible chirps yet it's established early on that she knows English. Did nobody think to bring a pad and paper? The scientific achievement of the millennium is handled pretty casually by all parties.

The director tries to use the scientists' emotional involvement as an excuse for their poor judgment but that only goes so far. The film jumps the shark when Brody elects to have sex with their creation. At this point, I decided that the whole exercise was "tongue in cheek" and that the joke was on me. It seemed like a subtler reenactment of the scene from Spike Jonze's 'Adaptation' where the plot starts to unravel with a nod and a wink. From this point on, clichés per minute goes off the chart as the film descends into B-Grade horror.

I can't decide if this movie is genuinely ridiculous or if it just went over my head. 5-stars for making me think.

Captures scientific pressure and ambition

Author: erdoc2803 from United States
23 January 2010

"I began to think about this when I saw a picture of a mouse with a human ear growing on its back," Vincenzo Natali said at the premiere screening of "Splice" at the Sundance Film Festival.

I knew this film had hit home with me for a reason. Chuck Vacanti, who had developed the mouse ear, is a friend of the family from my father's years as a pediatrics resident in Vermont. I've tracked his career from a distance, and have somewhat followed in his footsteps now as a medical scientist and physician.

The truly fascinating aspect of "Splice," then, was that, yes, it had the creation/monster component, which carried a certain novelty and uniqueness. But the real accomplishment of Natali, Polley, and Brody in this film was to capture the ambition of science without falling too much into the caricatures which often result from these attempts.

As I watched the film, I thought to my first year in a medical faculty position. A scientist feels a certain pressure to discover and to publish. My experience has certainly not been on the level which these scientists felt, but it has had its similarities. This pressure to discover and create may result something of a "fight or flight" response in the scientist. Most of us choose to fight, and that fight means injecting a personal stake into the work one does, even to the point of bending the rules, perhaps, to make things happen. I think it happens to all of us to one degree or another. It may be as small as overlooking the necessary IRB paperwork for all researchers involved in a study. Or it may be as large as injected one's own DNA into a genetic hybrid. We all take risks in science, willing to fight against time, budgetary constraints, and supervisors and inject our own personal stake into our work to see a project come to fruition.

In that sense, then, I found "Splice" a fascinating film. I don't want to imply an immorality on the part of scientists which even approaches the portrayal in the film. Like the film's characters, however, all of us work under significant pressure with limited budgets. We want success, and our livelihoods and reputations depend on that success. To what degree we are willing to go to achieve that success is a measure which government may attempt to regulate, but is, in large part, a scientist's own moral responsibility. "Splice" and the characters portrayed by Polley and Brody capture the dilemma which all scientists face, and the ensuing attempts to find merit and redeeming qualities in the results when rules are broken to achieve certain ends.

Keeps you on your seat...

Author: dogancanyazir from Istanbul
18 May 2011

First of all... The movie is DISTURBING! But it has a very unique sense of eroticism and curiosity. The creature is unlike any other thing i've ever seen. The plot is a little usual but it guarantees to keep you on your seat until the end of the movie. The acting was decent and i think the casting is well done, especially Adrien Brody as Clide and Sarah Polley as Elsa. Brody really suited the role because of his kinda nerd looking face with a little curious in it and Polley was just the kind of actress who makes you feel what she feels during the movie. I think what the movie is lacking is outdoors. We don't see really much sun or anything during the movie which makes you darken inside a little. Overall it's a great movie which makes you satisfied at the end. I can GUARANTEE you will love it if you're into sci-fi. I give this movie 7/10 but this is my first review anyways.

Idiots

Author: Gonzo-42 from Anguillara, Italia
14 August 2010

The two main characters are idiots.

They are complete morons.

If idiocy would have been an Olympic sport, the would have been so idiotic to only get the silver medal. (Thanks, Harpo)

Whenever they are faced with a choice, they keep doing the worst possible choice.

This obviously mars the whole film, making it so unbelievable to completely ruin it.

My capacity for suspension of disbelief, while looking a film, is quite high, but yesterday it left me after the first ten minutes of the movie and went out for a soda, leaving me in there.

Going to the dentist is better then watching this movie.

Amazing

Author: mrayt from Munich, Germany
2 June 2010

What a bizarre and disturbing, yet hauntingly beautiful movie, full of twists and turns. Every time I thought I had figured it out, it took another direction and made me await the outcome even more eagerly. It is best to know next to nothing about it in advance, though. Basically it's the old scientist-messes-with-nature-story. The components are well known and not too original by themselves, but Natali manages to tell his tale with an interesting and thought-provoking new angle.

Great actors, a fascinating look, an intelligent, almost poetic screenplay... What's not to love about it? Propably not for everyone, but I found it to be the best SF-/Fantasy-movie since Pan's Labyrinth.

Cold leads and a slip into cliché horror make what should be a really good film just okay.

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
27 July 2010

Scientists who have created a new species with an eye toward genetically created products decide to splice in human genes in their next go round. The resulting animal human hybrid begins growing rapidly and there are complications.

Hailed by some as a masterpiece of modern horror and by others as a mess I fall somewhere in the middle.

The problem for me stems from the two leads played by Sarah Polley and Adrian Brody who are the two scientists. They are too cold and calculating too hard really like and its real easy to see their fall from hubris. On the other hand the film does create a certain amount of frisson from the situations. In a weird way the small creature (and the original species) are genuine creepy, especially intellectually. The film mostly manages to over come its weaknesses until the final half our or so when things begin to spiral out in well worn horror movie tropes. To me the fact that the film wasn't completely going the typical horror movie route won me over however the final twists (and too many abilities by the creature) make what could have been a really good film into an okay one.

Worth a look, but its not something you need run out to see.

Page 2 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]