IMDb > Pistol Whipped (2008) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Good Job!

Author: barleysodapop from United States
21 April 2008

I was surprised that this film was very good. To be honest, after the last two Seagal films I thought he was done, but wouldn't you know....he's back. I should have known not to count him out. He definitely hits the bullseye with Pistol Whipped. The rest of the cast for the film did a great job too. Lance Henriksen always plays a good part in anything he does. I was also happy to learn that this film was shot in Connecticut a few towns away from where I live.

I'd like to see Seagal do more small acting roles like he did with Executive Decision. Hopefully he'll be back in the theaters soon. I would have paid to see this movie at a theater.

Back on Form

Author: elwoodjames from United Kingdom
2 March 2008

After watching renegade justice, Which i really thought was Segal getting back on form after a run of real budget films. I was looking forward to seeing this film.

Although i am not disappointed, Its a mind annoyance that, Stevie who can once again perform his Aikido at a speed and grace which does not require stupid camera work to cover it up. Did not use it as much as i would of liked.

I have given this film a 9 because i felt that once again there was a lot of effort in this film. No stupid Stevie doubles with silly wigs on. Or ridiculous dubbing. Like many Stevie fans out there I wish i could see one more film with the same quality and calibre as Under Siege, Come on Steve, One more Cinema release... If Stallone can bring back Rambo and Rocky... Bring Back Casey Ryeback..... and get some pie out of the oven :-)

Thats more like it.

Author: Jan Strydom from South Africa
30 March 2008

I'll start by saying that I have seen all of Steven Seagal's films, from Nico to this one, and at one point thought he really went downhill with shadow man and the films that followed (Attack force and flight of fury) then came Urban Justice which I thought was a bit of an improvement and then I saw Pistol Whipped, and thought thats more like it.

Unlike a lot of his previous films this one actually has a deep story, its about a disgraced ex cop who is obsessed with gambling, has a lot of dept and is an alcoholic, he is approached by a mysterious stranger that offers to clear all his transgressions if he agrees to assassinate specific targets.

The performances by the cast are excellent and also unlike Seagal's previous films, he doesn't overshadow the rest of cast, for instants, where Seagal is either framed or has lost a loved one because of a gang, and then all it boils down to is Seagal going from one area to the next and beating the living snot out of who ever made him mad, and in that case the rest of the characters only consist of gangsters, terrorist or to put it mildly, they may has well be in the movie to act as human punching bags, where as in this one you have a lot of great characters like Drea, Blu, the old man and even Matt (Steven Seagal's character).

Lastly, the direction by Roel Reine is definitely the best I've seen out of all the other direct to DVD Seagal movies, and his other credits includes Drifter and dead water(also starring Lance Henriksen).

Steven Seagal seems to have a love hate relationship with his fans this time giving back some love!

Author: demonicdom from United Kingdom
18 February 2008

I am a huge Stevo fan and have seen nearly all of his films except the ones you just have to turn off after 20mins like Ticker and The Patriot so this rating is very subjective to Stevo films and shouldn't be taken seriously by a non-Stevo fan. I have given this the same as Shadow Man which isn't right really because its better;

Let down by some incoherent editing (same with every Stevo film even his debut "Above the Law") this film actually has a decent story and the action scenes are good. There is a great climactic shootout in a cemetery at the end of the film which is really well shot, the music builds up the narrative really well unlike Urban Justice which has an awful "computer game" style sound track.

I hope Stevo keeps it up because this is above average even for a non Stevo fan....... STEVO!

Pretty slick Seagal outing

Author: gridoon2016
19 March 2008

An unremarkable action thriller, but probably one of Steven Seagal's best films so far. This one has a plot that actually keeps your interest (even though the main "twist" is telegraphed ahead of time) by going beyond the simple "they killed his loved ones and now he wants revenge" scenario, without becoming a muddled mess like, say, "Mercenary For Justice". It also has a pretty slick look, and the action includes a well-filmed car chase climaxing with a spectacular car flip, and a John Woo - style graveyard shootout at the end. Seagal tries to play a morally ambivalent character, which he does up to a point, but the usual problems associated with his characters (the invulnerability and the vanity) are still present (wait till you hear a girl's remark about a certain body part of his). He is still overweight and most of the fight scenes are blink-and-you'll-miss-them, but at least he is there doing them, and doing them efficiently. The movie also benefits from a good supporting cast, though Lance Henriksen should have had more screen time. Renee Goldsberry is gorgeous & tough and earns "Pistol Whipped" a few more points. (**1/2)

SEAGAL continues to improve

Author: lee nicholson (dolemite72) from middlesbrough, UK
22 January 2008

After the excellent URBAN JUSTICE, it seemed that Steven Seagal had his work cut out to keep making good movies. Let me tell you from the get-go, PISTOL WHIPPED is as equally good, with (despite it's lower budget) better production values (although i suspect Urban Justice was given a grittier, raw look on purpose?) Seagal plays Matt, a disgraced ex cop, who been sliding off the tracks, since his suspension. He's been gambling and hitting the bottle, and most importantly, ignoring his estranged wife and daughter. It seems that, despite his shortcomings, Matt is still a proficient bad-ass, but he's more of a bad guy, than he'd care to admit. Suddenly his gambling debts have caught up with him, in the shape of a shady businessman (great cameo by Lance Henrickson) who offers to clear the debts, if Matt will 'terminate with extreme prejudice' some wise-guy mafioso type. Being of dubious morals, Matt undertakes this job (fearing for the safety of his daughter) and in true Seagal-style, opens up the required whup-ass on said contract. But it doesn't end there......Matt's new mysterious employer wants more people 'taken care' of....including his ex-wife's new husband (a fellow cop, and one of Matts friends) But is his friend everything he seems?

Seagal fans will enjoy this one, as it give the stout sensei a chance to relax, let it all hang out, and play (as in OUT FOR JUSTICE) a scummy anti-hero, who's far worse than the bad guys he's taking down. Yet there's a genuine warmth between Seagal and his on-screen daughter (proving he can be a good natural actor, when he drops his defences) Seagal plays the part perfectly (a crying shame he's been making duff movies in Romania) when PISTOL WHIPPED is one of the lowest budgets he's worked with. Director Roel Reine has a good visual eye, and if anything, it proves that Seagal can work in the confines of a low budget, provided (as we've always known) he ditches the 'wrong element' around him (the 'yes' men) These people have gladly cashed cheques as Seagal has been involved in some truly dire projects of recent. Good to see you back on track Steven....stick with directors/people that give a damn.

All in all, PISTOL WHIPPED is a great Seagal (biff-em-up) thriller, with it's lead showing (as Stallone has done likewise) that age is nothing but a number (some of the fights here are extremely brutal) and Seagal has lost none of his trademark speed, or for that matter, wit (check out some of his dry dialogue....very funny for fans of the genre) and it's comforting to see Seagal playing a flawed (allbeit, still untouchable) character, who's not a straight-laced good guy. Once again, i have a SEAGAL movie, that survives repeated viewing, and one to show off to my mates. All in all, Big Lee gives this great movie 10 out of 10

A solid film that holds your interest.

Author: JGSchultz2 from United States
1 March 2008

Keep in mind that I am a big fan of Steven Seagal and have followed most of his films since the start of his acting career.

In this flick Steven Seagal plays the role of an ex-cop named Matt whom has fallen into problems from both gambling and drinking since being kicked off of the force and getting divorced. Eventually Matt's life takes a turn after an encounter with a mysterious man named "blue" that clears him of his debts and hires him as a hit-man to take care of certain marks in exchange for clearing these debts.

Overall I was rather impressed that Steven Seagal had it in him to make another solid movie after the follow-up of Urban Justice. The fight-scenes were very solid and involved Steven Seagal in most of them, not to mention a very impressive shoot-out at the cemetery near the end of the movie. Unfortunately the acting was not so stellar and Steven Seagal referred back to his "ghetto" voice in some parts which ruined his character in my opinion. Regardless the film was very good and tied his character together with his daughter very well and there were even some brief moments of humor thrown in as well.

I definitely recommend this movie to a Steven Seagal fan or a fan of action movies in general, Seagal has proved once again that he has still got it and I am looking very forward to his next flick Prince of Pistols.

Seagal being Seagal

Author: orik2007 from Romania
10 February 2008

Before i say anything i want you to know i like action movies,even those that contain mindless violence(i actually enjoyed the last installment of Rambo very much).

That being said,i didn't enjoy this movie very much,except maybe for some parts that make you laugh even though they're not intended to be funny. Come to think of it,it's a classical Steven Seagal movie,picturing him as omnipotent,without at least providing some good scenes where he can entertain(that's right,there aren't even good fighting scenes).

So my advice is watch this movie only if you are a fan or want to kill some time with your friends.

The Best Post HPD Seagal film!!

Author: ryan larson from U.S.A
9 March 2008

I have been loyal as a Steven Seagal fan. In high school Marked for Death and Out For Justice were Saturday movie regulars. Under Siege was an opening night event. I have reviewed most of the Seagal films on this website and have viewed them all multiple times. This past Saturday my wife and daughter left for the night...so I sat down armed with a 6 pack of Coors Light and Blast o' Butter popcorn and into my "PS3" I popped in "Pistol Whipped" with very low expectations. Was I pleasantly surprised! The film moves quickly. The director takes some great camera angles...great soundtrack (for a Seagal film...)...and seems to have a great sense of what older Seagal fans enjoyed so much about him as an action icon in the late 80's and 90's. The dialogue is on par with such Seagal classics as "The Glimmer Man" and "Out for Justice". Seagal seems to have found his charisma...with the exception of 2005's "Into the Sun" his last 8 or 9 DVD's have lacked that main charisma ingredient. The writers decided in this film to make Seagal's character vulnerable, mean, and lacking good judgement. Something Seagal hasn't been in character for quite some time. This film has a few technical problems...mainly the ending shootout could have used a little touch up in the editing room...Seagal seems to have sunglasses on and off in the same breath of dialogue??? A few stand in scenes (very brief)on long shots...but nothing like the crap we as Seagal fans have scene in recent efforts like "The Foreigner", "Attack Force", and "Flight of Fury". The akido scenes are great and well shot...

I can only hope that Seagal has found his step again...I will still be reluctant to get excited as Seagal seems to hold a pattern...After 2005's acceptable "Into The Sun", we got "Submerged" which I thought was horrible. After 2006's "Shadow Man" (which I enjoyed) we got "Attack Force???" The formula for Seagal's success lies in his ability to work within the means of the "Direct to DVD" market and its meager budgets to produce films like this one which will secure his fan base to push him back into theatrical contention. Time is running out for the aging star...but I strongly suggest you watch this film.

Good Seagal outing

Author: Bjorn (ODDBear) from Iceland
23 May 2010

This isn't bad at all.

In what's probably his best acting performance in a while, Seagal plays a former cop with a shady past (what else!) who's up to his neck in gambling debts, is way too fond of alcohol and a pretty lousy father to boot. A mysterious man (a cool Lance Henriksen) buys up his debts and wants Seagal to eliminate a few scumbags to work it off. So in fact; Seagal's his new whipping boy.

The film's not without it's fair share of clichés, takes a few convenient shortcuts and some of the action scenes are a bit stiff but"Pistol Whipped", as another Steven Seagal direct-to-DVD flick, is really OK entertainment.

Steve is actually pretty good in his role here, looking like he's actually trying to act and he comes out a winner. He's getting a bit puffy again but he looks solid enough in the action department. Others are so so with only old pro Henriksen making any kind of impression.

Kudos to the script as well. As said, it's far from perfect but it does have a nice twist up it's sleeve and it gives our man a little better dialog than usual.For fans of Seagal this is a must. For others, "Pistol Whipped" is still an OK way to kill an hour and a half.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]