IMDb > Beverly Hills Chihuahua (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Beverly Hills Chihuahua

Beverly Hills Chihuahua More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

When did IMDb become so cynical? This is a kid's movie for goodness sake!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
10 October 2008

Honestly, I can't help but notice all the people who once again are rating this movie without seeing it and just because they suspect the movie is going to be bad, they rate it anyways as a one. Well, I'm going to once again give you an honest review, I saw this movie last Saturday and honestly enjoyed it. I know I'm going to receive a lot of bashing, but I always look at movies as what they are supposed to be, this was meant to be a children's movie, it's meant for fun. Remember how we all had those cheesy animal movies when we were kids as well? Well Beverly Hills Chihuahua is no different, it's just updated with today's world. I thought it was a good idea, we see all these rich people now-a-days with the way they just lavish their dogs with jewels that cost more than people's houses, it takes a little joke at it. The story is recycled, but it's still a lot fun to watch and has some really fun scenes.

Chloe is a Beverly Hills Chihuahua who is just so pampered, with clothes, jewelery, and a life style anyone would die to have. Her owner, Vivian, has to go away on a business trip and leaves her party girl niece, Rachel, to watch Chloe. When they go to Mexico, Chloe is kidnapped and put into a dog fight... she is then saved by another dog, Delgado, who is going to help her get back to Beverly Hills. But when the man who runs the dog fights finds out that Chloe is worth something, he sends his Doberman dog, Diablo, after her. Rachel, the land scaper, Sam, and his dog, Pepi who is also in love with Chloe, are on the hunt to find her and get her home safe and sound.

Beverly Hills Chihuahua is a fun movie if you give it a decent chance, I thought it was a nice chance from the constant CGI we always have with these animal stories. I was also impressed that the talking didn't look so fake with the dogs. I tell you though I'm convinced that the dog that played Delgado is the same dog from I Am Legend, that dog just deserves an Oscar, lol, come on, you gotta agree. Well, Beverly Hills Chihuahua is a great family film, as for seeing it on your own or with a friend, I would say that it's worth the rental more so. It's a silly movie I admit, but I had a fun time watching it and I wish IMDb users would give this movie the fair chance it deserves.

Should be MANDATORY to actually see the movie before voting!

Author: bc1440 from Colorado
8 November 2008

I agree with some of the previous reviewers - how can you rate a movie without even seeing it?!? Well, guess that gives us the right to rate THEM without even knowing them! I give those people a 1.5.

This is a KID'S movie and to rate it a 2 is ridiculous. It's not the best movie but it sure is much better than A LOT of recent kid's/animated films. My kids, 4 & 5, loved this movie and that's really my biggest requirement. There are many others where they were bored and wanted to leave in less than 30 minutes.

To the people voting it so low (especially ones who vote without viewing) - GET A LIFE!

The Epitome of Crap

Author: Ashley_The_Little_Rogue from Canada
3 October 2008

Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey was probably one of the best animal movie around, and everything that that movie was, this movie isn't. It isn't spectacular, it isn't breathtaking, it isn't adventurous, it isn't funny, it just goes to show how low Disney will sink to earn money from your children. Take it from me, I'm only 15 years old, and even I was holding my forehead with my hand and shaking my head, wondering: "Why??... WHY?!" It might be good for preschoolers who laugh at stupid jokes, but my goodness, I'd be surprised if this even makes 2 stars on the official ratings list. To put it all together, I not only want my money back, but I am going to torch this ticket in my fireplace tonight and forget all about it. @_@

not the calamity people are making out to be, but no blockbuster either

Author: bobertdos-1 from United States
25 October 2008

I have been using IMDb to obtain feedback on movies for several years now, and what I find is that people here tend to be a little too bias toward A-list, blockbuster movies. Chihuahua does not fall into that category by any means, but that does not warrant dismissing it outright. It is true that the film's cast could have been put to better use, but given the parameters set by the Disney-style writing, they did what they could and it was enough to let me enjoy their performances. I read a review on here that commented on the inaccuracy of geographical information. I agree that if Disney is going to make a film like this, it is unfortunate that they do not take the time to educate their young audiences a little. We wouldn't be talking doctorate level research here, just basic fact-checking.

The plot of this movie was not deep, but not many Disney movies NEED to be in order to cater to their young audience and family demographic. I am a twenty-something and I am able to tolerate Disney's material, because I accept it for what it is: shallow, vapid entertainment designed to convey squeaky-clean ideals to impressionable youth. Sometimes, they take that squeaky-cleanliness too far, like making light of the dog fights, but overall, it is all rooted in the same objective: to maintain their target demographic and intake revenue.

To the people who reference the different caliber of Disney's entertainment ten or more years ago, I concur with you. It would be good for Disney to trace its roots a bit and return to basics, but it would take a lot of cutting through green to accomplish that.

I enjoyed this movie. There was a comment on the discussion board mentioning that the trailer distorted people's initial impression. I am one of those people. Once I got into the movie though, I applied my usual preconditions for judging Disney films and had a good time. It was cute and in Disney's typical fashion, it contained half-baked attempts to teach the kids a thing or two (inaccurate or vague as they were).

Go into it knowing it's Disney and will thus inherit the characteristics of all their work, and you'll be fine.

VERY enjoyable movie!

Author: AndrePhilidor from Los Angeles
15 October 2008

My wife is a dog-lover (I am not). We raised pugs for many years and they are all gone to doggy heaven now. When I saw a film preview that included a pug, I just had to get my wife to this movie. (She will rarely go to a movie - many are just plain bad). We had a GREAT time. It is a comedy, so let's not worry about the misplaced geography which I did not notice until reading some of the negative views here. I am a great admirer of the film-making art. The freight train episode is an amazing piece of film work. The attack of the mountain lions is quite convincing. Both of the latter we found quite convincing. Every pooch in this film deserves an Oscar as do the humans and the writers. This is a fine family movie, for both children and adults. Don't take it seriously. It is a comedy. It is an entertainment, and we just felt we needed something like this to get away from the depressing news - economic disaster in America, fires in California to the North and South of us. This film is just what the doctor ordered for an evening.

Hey, it was A LOT better than I expected!

Author: deenie-music1333 from United States
19 October 2008

Alright, so tons of people are bashing this movie even though they didn't see it. I thought it would be dumb too... until my friend practically dragged me to see it with her. It sounds like this movie would be about chihuahuas in Beverly Hills and their luxurious lives and basically a 'Clueless' with doggies instead. And it is, for the first 10 minutes or so.

But then, it transitions into something completely different than where I thought it was going. I liked how it eventually talked about cultural identity and not forgetting where you're from, which was a good direction for the movie. With that, it was good how the human girl and the girl chihuahua both become less ignorant as the film progresses. And, come on, it was adorable how this was basically a chick flick with little doggies instead! It was pretty hilarious in some parts (George Lopez as Papi!) especially with some interesting song choices, lol. My only quibbles were the slight sappiness with the whole Disney has-to-have-a-moral dialogue and that Drew Barrymore's voice was annoying after a while as the lead chihuahua with her whining... Still, it was pretty great and it got the whole theater laughing at several points.

It's nice to have a movie that doesn't take itself that seriously once in a while :] So basically, go see this before you condemn it to a rating worse than "Gigli"'s!

Great family show for all ages!!

Author: faithq from United States
26 December 2008

Me, my husband and our two children ages 4 and 7 went to see this movie and we all had a great time! It kept everyone's attention for the entire length of the movie. It was hilarious, fast paced and heartwarming. I'm not sure why the movie got such bad ratings on here. I think people are being way too critical. The theater was full of couples without children, which was surprising to me, but it seemed like everyone enjoyed the movie and no one walked out!!! Before seeing the movie, I read the comments here and went into it with little expectations. I was happily surprised, enough so to take the time to register here at IMDb and state my opinion. 'Nough said!!

This is a fun movie nothing more nothing less!

Author: chrichtonsworld from Netherlands
2 November 2008

This movie has a lower rating than "Superhero movie". And that was absolutely crap. I am not a child and not a dog lover. Still i found myself liking this movie.And no I am not suffering from any mental illness or something like that. Honestly the nerve of people to say something like that. I wonder if most of the reviewers actually have seen the movie. If so what did these people expect from a movie like this. A talking Chihuahua reciting a poem from Shakespeare or just a cute dog mixed up in some little adventure. Compared to previous Disney movies about animals it is on the same level. So what if it isn't original. What movie is these days. This movie hasn't got one dull moment. I sat through the movie without ever looking at the clock. And I can tell you that a lot of the big titles that came out this year wished they had the same effect on me.Most of the box office titles made this year have disappointed me much more because I had high expectations. For "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" i had no expectations whatsoever and got rewarded with fun.

Shockingly good & heartwarming

Author: candy_flesh from Panama City Beach, FL
7 October 2008

I took my toddler to see this because he loves dogs, and I thought it would be a great chance or him to see his first film. I was not expecting to enjoy the film, but was truly amazed by how well done it was. Sure the dogs were cute & it definitely has appeal to children. But I found the messages (about finding your inner strength, being a good friend, not being stuck up, and about the importance of adopting stray animals & caring for those that are lost or abandoned) very well-executed, they were clear without bludgeoning the viewer on the head repeatedly as so many children's films do.

I have to say the fact that the "coyote" who was meant to smuggle Chloe across the border was actually a Coyote, and the line about "say hello to my little friends" made me laugh long after I had left the theater.

I plan to buy this film on DVD when it comes out & enjoy it with my family for years to come.

Very heartwarming film

Author: sstack-3 from United States
13 October 2008

Upon seeing the rating on IMDb, I went into this movie thinking it was going to be terrible. However, it is a very entertaining film from start to finish...similar to the Benji movies from the 70s for those old enough to remember. Chloe, the main character, is a spoiled little chihuahua from Beverly Hills who ends up lost in Mexico and enlists the help of some canine friends in an effort to find her way home. She learns some good life lessons along the way. My kids and I were glued to the screen. Plenty of action, laughs, and occasional tears. Every child leaving the theater with us was singing the "Chihuahua" theme song and seemed to have loved it. I don't know what those who gave this a bad rating were expecting, but I give it a wholehearted thumbs up. 8/10

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]