"Dexter" Dex, Lies, and Videotape (TV Episode 2007) Poster

(2007)

5 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
The New Dexter
Claudio Carvalho15 August 2010
Dexter is disturbed with the discovery that his mother and Harry had an affair. When a copycat of the Bay Harbor Killer attacks a former criminal, Agent Lundy promises that the FBI would assume the case if Miami Metro is not able to discover the vigilante. Further, Dexter is informed that there are security cameras in the Coral Cove Marina but the computer system needs an upgrade to watch the footages. Now Dexter needs to find a way to destroy the tape and find the vigilante to avoid the presence of the FBI in the investigation. Meanwhile the poisonous Gail invites Lila and Dexter to have dinner with Rita and her. When Rita discovers that Lila and Dexter had traveled and spent the night together, she breaks up with Dexter and throws him to the arms of Lila. Dexter presents formal charges against Doakes that is stalking him to Lieutenant Maria Laguerta. In the end, the new Dexter fixes all his problems.

"Dex, Lies and Videotape" is another great show of Dexter. Along the story, Dexter is pressed by uncomfortable situations while having an existential crisis, but Lila helps him to resolve the problems and he "makes her understand him" in a very sexy and erotic scene. The insecure Debra finds that Agent Lundy really likes her work. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Dex, Mentiras e Videotape" ("Dex. Lies and Videotape")
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another Great Dexter Episode!
g-bodyl17 June 2014
This is the sixth episode of the second season of Dexter and it's another thing of beauty. The tension increases and so does the excitement. Each storyline is worth watching and there are several surprises perhaps things I should have seen coming. Once again, the acting is top-notch and I like the exotic chemistry between Michael C. Hall and Jaime Murray.

In this episode, "Dex, Lies, and Videotape," there is a Bay Butcher wannabe killer on the loose and unless he is caught, the FBI will take total control of the case. Dexter learns that he was filmed cleaning his boat so he tries to delete the evidence. Meanwhile, Gail suggests that Rita invite Lila over to dinner which in return results in the end of Rita's and Dexter's relationship.

Overall, this is a very engaging and enthralling episode and it's very interesting how Dexter tries to cover his footsteps as the Bay Butcher investigation gets more in-depth. I'm very interested to see what happens next. I rate this episode 9/10.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dexter begins to crack
chillwill9221 February 2011
With all of the problems weighing him down this season, it's unsurprising that he would lash out as he does in this episode. The only thing is, he's never done it before. From his renewed confrontation with Doakes, his breakup with Rita, his new relationship with Lila, Rita's mother on him, and the continuing Bay Harbor Butcher case, the Dark Defender has a lot on his mind. For the first time, chinks appear in Dexter's armor, and this leads to a series of dangerous moves and rash decisions. And now Doakes' obsession with Dexter has been made known to LaGuerta, leading to an intriguing path for Doakes between choosing his job or his obsession with Dexter. Meanwhile, Dexter questions Harry's reasons for adopting him. Was it out of love, or was it simply out of guilt for his mother. Will Dexter abandon Harry and his code, or will he continue to go on his current path? "Dex, Lies, and Videotape" continues to push the story forward, and odds are Dexter and Doakes will face off before season's end.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Too many coincidences
s k3 April 2014
This series is inundated with sloppy writing in the form of convenient coincidences, endless Dexter voice overs, leaps of logic that land smack dab in the middle of nowhere, and cameo appearances of repeating characters (mainly, Harry Morgan). This episode is another example of just such lazy writing. A convenient telephone message that causes a rift between Dexter and Rita, the removal of key evidence against Dexter in a contrived manner (i.e. fire alarm? really?!!!), the notion that the FBI would even hesitate to completely take over a case of this magnitude, etc.

Furthermore, this show specializes in annoying characters. Gung-ho G.I. Joe Doakes, Poor Poor Passive-Aggressive Rita, Rita's mother, Paul, Masuka, Quinn, etc. And this episode is no exception. (Note: I'm not talking about well acted "big bad" characters like Brian; just flat out cartoon-ish, one dimensional annoying characters.)

And then there's Deb's desperation bouncing from one guy to the next. It's so totally sad. In this episode, out of the blue, we get "treated" to Deb deciding to give Lundy a hug at a crime scene? Seriously?!!! Please.

And then there's Lila. Does ANYONE really believe that she'd be by herself night after night? ANYONE? Bueller? Bueller? ANYone?!!!

And there are viewers who truly believe that season 2 is one of the best seasons? C'MON, MAN!!!!!!!!!

(NOTE: I wouldn't call the illogical leaps that I cited plot holes, per se. But whatever you call them, this show is full of them. And these problems did NOT just appear in the latter seasons; they are there all along. And for all the flack season 8 has taken (and I've given my fair share), so far, season 2 is even worse than season 8. At least season 8 had the saving grace of Hannah. This season, we're stuck insufferably with the POOR ME RITA show.)
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Doakes: You want to hit me? Go for it. I've been waiting for a chance to take your ass out.
antisocial17 January 2011
Doakes talks with Deb about Dex being a junkie, and Deb sets him straight in about 2 seconds. ;] Deb: I'm glad you got some new material, cos freak and psycho were getting kind of tired.

Lundy wants Dex to accompany him in place of Masuka. Lundy hears he has a knack for knowing serial killers. Deb: Dexter also enjoys long walks on the beach and foreign films. (hehe)

Rita's mother is a f*ckin bitch!

Dex confesses to Rita of having sex with Lila, don't know why he needed to do that, he lies all the time. I didn't really like the Dex/Lila scenes in this one. Go back to Rita!
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this