IMDb > Fast & Furious (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Still fast, still furious

Author: C-Younkin from United States
31 March 2009

Fast and Furious, or 4 Fast 4 Furious if you're keeping count, is a movie you can basically sum up in one sentence. Muscle guys, muscle cars, hot chicks, and incredible action sequences. Not much has changed in the four films other than who the muscle guys wind up being played by but nonetheless, if you're going to the movies strictly to continually watch these things, then not only will this series run forever, but you should have no problem sitting through this fourth flick. Of course the other thing to look at here is the resurrection of Vin Diesel's action star persona, and considering he's been doing movies like "Babylon AD" and "The Pacifier" for the past couple years, you can basically say this is one of his better performances in a real long time.

The plot is pretty thin but I'm sure for fans of the first movie it will be nice to see the two leads back playing their roles. Diesel reprises wanted felon Dom Toretto, who after escaping at the end of the first movie seems to have started a new life in the Dominican Republic knocking over trucks. What brings him back to Los Angeles is revenge for the death of his girlfriend (Michelle Rodriguez) at the hands of brutal drug dealers led by Braga. This brings him face to face with the man who infiltrated his gang in the first flick, Brian O'Connor (Paul Walker), now an FBI agent going after the same drug dealers. And wouldn't you know that driving plays a big part in Braga's whole smuggling operation so both Brian and Dom team up, amidst some trust issues, to bring down the drug cartel.

Hopefully director Justin Lin ("Tokyo Drift") gets the credit he deserves this time around. He's fantastic with these action sequences, not only making them pulse-pounding thrill rides but also letting you feel like you're in the car with these characters. The movie starts out brilliantly with a propane truck hi-jacking that turns life or death when things get out of control and the truck barrels down on the hi-jackers, and then just continues to go full throttle, staging a race on a crowded Los Angeles street and then chases in an underground tunnel shaft. Once these characters get in their cars you won't be bored for a moment.

Outside the car is a different matter though. Both actors do what they can. Diesel is adrenaline personified. With his gravelly voice, bulging biceps, and cool, playful way around a line of dialogue, he's a lot of fun to watch. And while still pretty wooden, I admit that Walker has a pretty-boy face and an athletic physicality that makes him a good hero. This pairing worked well in the first movie, sort of like an amateur, yet entertaining, version of the adrenaline-seeking- cop and criminal formula a la "Point Break." Just after four movies it's all gotten stale and it's easy to see that the cars are the real stars here. The Dom-Brian conflict and Dom's vendetta against the cartel is mostly overshadowed and there isn't much for either character to do when away from their vehicles. Diesel and Walker try but they always seem to be a couple wheels short of competing with the four-wheel drive.

"Fast and Furious" deserves credit for doing the key things well. If your expecting much from anything other than the cars then it's a disappointment, but thanks to Justin Lin this has all the makings of a really thrilling action movie, making this fourth flick in the series a little bit better than its predecessors and a lot of fun.

Fast & Furious 2.5

Author: amboo61 from United States
4 April 2009

I have read all previous comments and only see a couple of people that actually make a comment that it is supposed to happen between 2 Fast 2 Furious and Tokyo Drift... I'm sure this had something to do with Justin Lin directing Tokyo Drift as well as Fast & Furious. I'm glad that he made it happen that way because I am sure there were many people that saw Tokyo Drift and thought, "Where did this movie come from?" It was so random to have it be a Fast and Furious movie when it had nothing to do with either of the original 2 with the exception of the again, random, cameo of Dom at the end of it. In the first couple of scenes of Fast & Furious you see that Han is part of Dom's crew that hi-jacks gas tankers in the Dominican Republic. When the heat is on Dom once again, he tells Han it's time to go do his own thing. Han tells him that he hears of some things going on in Tokyo. If you recall in Tokyo drift, Han tells Sean that Tokyo is his "Mexico" he was running to stay out of jail.

I really enjoyed this movie. The plot wasn't as detailed as the previous but it followed along well with what you think might happen in a Fast & Furious movie... Paul Walker plays Brian O'Conner again, he is still working law enforcement, although this time he is big boy FBI. Vin Deisel is back as Dominic Toretto. He and Brian are trying to get in with a drug ring for different reasons, but team up to help each other get what they are after.

The movie is full of everything you expect from the franchise: Nice cars, great racing, hot women and hot guys (to suit everyone's taste) This movie has great action sequences as well. I recommend this movie to anyone that has followed the other 3... or at least the first 2. If they make a 5th one I'll be first in line to see it too.

The best of the series by a mile

Author: phatrick88 from United States
3 April 2009

I just got back from the midnight screening of 'Fast & Furious' and I have to admit the movie very much exceeded my fairly low expectations for the film. While the original film was entertaining, it was never a good movie by any means. Let's not even get started on the two that followed. The fourth installment however, is another story. Most of the original cast has come back and seeing them back in action together really makes you realize the F&F franchise isn't the same without them. The chemistry between the three leads (Diesel, Walker and Brewster) is the strongest it's been yet, and I would dare to call several of the scenes 'moving' as a result. Who would have ever expected that from Fast & Furious.

The movie does an excellent job of keeping you on the edge of your seat, there's no shortage of action and a story that keeps your attention. The movie starts out in the DR with Vin Diesel pulling off a fairly implausible heist of hijacking a fuel tanker with his new crew. Minutes later, we learn of Letty's murder which in turn basically sets the tone for the rest of the movie as Diesel sets off on an all out rampage to even the score. Like the previous three, you certainly need to suspend your disbelief for the duration of the movie, however I was glad to see they didn't go overboard and kept the special effects and CIG to what seemed like a happy minimum.

Anyone who's ever been a fan of the Fast and the Furious series will absolutely need to go see this on the big screen. Even if you weren't so hot for the originals, the movie is still worth a look. In my opinion it's acting, story, plot, special effects are the best of the series so far and almost makes it stand out as a respectable movie. Better yet, they've left the door wide open for 'Fast & Furious 5'. To be continued...

Is this one the best one yet?

Author: Big Bouy Bokins from United States
3 April 2009

This was a good movie. They were able to bring back all the things that made the first one great like Vin Diesel, Jordana Brewster, and Paul Walker, and let go of the things that did not work so well. All the things that you loved in the first one are here and a little more. Vin Diesel does a great job from start to finish. In parts of the movie it almost makes you want to leave your seat and cheer. For all you Paul Walker haters out there he did a good job as well. He is like a backup quarterback in the NFL you want him to manage the game don't try to do to much just do what is takes to win. Walker is not the star of the movie, but behind the star he manages his part well. He does a good job of playing his part and not going beyond that and try to make a great performance. Walker acts within his ability. I for one am not a Walker hater so I never felt like he did a bad job, but I know there are a lot of you out there and you will be happy with his performance in this movie. Just the right blind of action and cars. For all the people that loved Han from Tokyo Drift don't get really excited, his role is only for about 3 minutes at the beginning of the movie. This is not a movie that is going to win any Academy Awards, but it is a movie that will keep you entertain for an hour and forty five minutes. Worth the movie to pay to see this one in the theater. Which is saying a lot for the way the economy is right now. It is the best one in the series.

Better than the 1st movie

Author: tonyzeno75 from United States
4 April 2009

I just saw this and to be honest I was hesitant in buying the $8 matinée ticket but wanted to see a movie and figured what the heck. First of all the 1st film was good, IMO the sequel and then Tokyo Drift were pretty bad but the 4th installment gave a ray of hope when I first saw the trailer. I liked the fact that it had a large part of the original cast.

I enjoyed this film and was surprised. They actually wrote a good story and it flowed very well, the action and driving scene's were shot and edited superbly, you did get the feeling that you were in the car at times which adds to the intensity of the driving scenes. I also like the fact that they incorporated American muscle cars instead of just imports this way the movie will appeal to people of all tastes. Overall I was pleasantly surprised of how good the film was. Also the final scene of Phoenix's demise was different than the norm. Bottom line Go see it.

best one yet!

Author: badblueboyz77 from United States
4 April 2009

This film, unlike the second and third installment, had a strong plot. if you like the F&F Franchise and go into the theater with a positive attitude, you will not be disappointed. unlike any other installment in the franchise, there is a much bigger variety of cars as well. much more of that good ol' American Muscle. and who can you think of that looks more bada$$ than Vin Diesel behind the wheel of a Chevelle and a Charger? and not to mention the babes! I mean thats what this series is all about right?Cars, babes, and mischief.

overall, if you dig the franchise as much as i do, or even if u just like cars and racing, this is the movie for you. it is much more action packed than all of the other ones.

Crank Up The Testosterone

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
19 August 2009

This is one of these 107-minute testosterone movies guys crave every once in awhile, some more than others. Being a somewhat-old guy, I don't look as these as often anymore but every once in awhile it's fun to kick back and just watch fast cars, loose women, wild action and fairly-brainless film.

There isn't much of a plot but my guess is people who are fans of this film series don't care. Just give us the above - muscle cars, macho men, sexy babes and a few great chase scenes - and that's all that is asked. I thought the best scene was the first one, a chase down mountain in the Dominican Republic. That was like a James Bond opening scene: a real attention-getter.

After that, you get the normal F&F material, which glamorizes things that shouldn't be (racing through crowded streets, etc.) but also has the "good" guys going to capture a drug lord from Mexico.....and a lot of punks along the way. They all sneer and have a lot of tattoos.

I've only seen this one and the first in the series but from what I read here, I've seen the two best of the four Fast & Furious films. Vin Diesel helps make them a notch above the others, I suspect. He's always interesting as "Dom Toretto" and his character is the most credible.

Very entertaining and satisfying. This movie is one of the reasons I go to movies.

Author: jaredlallatin from United States
11 April 2009

It is good to see this movie doing well at the Box Office because it was a lot of good, clean, exciting fun. It was good to see Paul Walker, Vin Diesel and crew back together on film. This movie works, not because of the fun and exciting action scenes, but because it has a reasonable solid story as a foundation, dialog was natural for the characters and above all the movie dealt with the theme of loyalty between friends. Above all this is why, in my opinion, the movie is doing so well at the Box Office. Hollywood, please don't start to think that all it takes is bringing stars back on the set from older successful movies and then you will have a hit on your hands. People, including me, like this film above all because it deals with the loyalty between two friends, ever if they are on opposite sides of the law. Everyone of us that might be a potential audience member understands the importance of loyalty, friendship and the sacrifices you might be willing to make for each other. My advice to everyone is treat yourself and your wife to a nice night at the movies. Go catch this with some good friends or with your brother, brothers, sister, sisters, neighbor, work associate or anyone else you enjoy spending time with. Have fun at the theaters! This is one movie perfect for that good time at the movies!

Yeah.. Better

Author: Selimcan Gultekin from Turkey
31 May 2015

At last, creators of Fast & Furious Franchise proved that it is seriously a "movie". I watched the prequels by getting mad of boredom. They were so bad that I felt like watching an amateur work. But the 4th installment recovered all the pain and made a real apology so that the viewers go on following the franchise. I believe that action-seekers got the real taste by this movie. Besides, I could stand the first absurdities for the sake of the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th installments. I also believe that it is such a good beginning to make us ready for the following marvelous works. Because it gives me some clue that exciting things are welcoming soon. From the time I watched it on, I am impatiently and excitedly waiting for the next installments.

Great Popcorn Entertainment

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
14 March 2014

Brian O'Conner is now working for the FBI on a thin leash, with no room for error. When Dom finds out that Letty was murdered, he sets all his morals aside to catch the people responsible. Not only that, but Dom is forced to accept help from the man who betrayed his trust, Brian O'Conner. I've seen this movie three times now, and it never fails to entertain me. After two sequels that weren't up to par with the first movie, they went all out to make sure this franchise was back on track. What better way to revitalize the series than with the return of Vin Diesel. He had a brief cameo at the end of Tokyo Drift, but this was his first movie since the first. I wouldn't call the plot fantastic or anything, but it definitely has more story to it than usual (IMO).The stakes are much higher emotionally. There are some legitimately good twists and turns in this movie as well. But we all know why we watch these movies, the action. Let me just say that they won't disappoint you. There are some exhilarating action sequences in this movie that don't give you time to breath. The opening scene is spectacular and the finale is excellent as well. It keeps the formula of fast cars, hot women, hunky guys, and rap music. I do have to say the action looked far more professional, continuing this trend in 5 & 6. My only carp about the action, is some shaky camera work at times. This is especially noticeable during an exciting foot race between Walker and a criminal. The performances won't win any Oscars, but they are a lot of fun to watch. Paul Walker's maturity shows as an actor at this juncture. He always had presence, but his performance is rock solid in this one. Vin Diesel isn't that great at emotion. He doesn't really do much when it comes to Letty's death like he should have, but he has plenty of charisma and screen presence. It was fun to see him paired with Walker once again. That p******s called Corona that you drink has gotta go though, bro. Craft beer is much tastier. Jordana Brewster does fine with what she had to do, but I felt her storyline with Walker wasn't explored enough. Michelle Rodriguez plays her part adequately as Letty. She had a jail term to serve, so I imagine that's why she was killed off. The villains are pretty weak in this one. They weren't that menacing in my opinion. The ending does a great job of jerking emotions from you. I have to give it credit

This is the definition of popcorn entertainment. If you want a thought provoking film, look elsewhere. If you want over a 100 minutes of exciting action that will make you go "F yeah!" this is your ticket. Action junkies will love this one. I know I did!

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]