IMDb > "Gilmore Girls" Unto the Breach (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Gilmore Girls" Unto the Breach (2007)

« Prev | 153 of 154 Episodes | Next »

Unto the Breach

Author: candyfan-1 from U.S.A.
22 February 2010

I have to smile, really, that in this day and age, anyone would attempt to introduce feminism into this wonderful episode on behalf of Rory Gilmore. Her emergence as an adult graduating from Yale is well written and portrayed in this episode. And her treatment of Logan is also in keeping with her personality. I found no difficulty in accepting her choices in this show regarding Logan, her future as a Yale graduate and her feelings about her friends and family.

As for Luke and Lorelai, their impending relationship, post marriage with Christopher, is, yes, somewhat rushed. It seems things were left hanging in order to get to the next episode, the final episode. Yet together, this show and the last one (Bon Voyage) do justice to what we all wanted to see - a final resolution between these two.

And we get it! Now you have to use some imagination, which is difficult for some who want to see everything spelled out. But I feel secure in knowing that they very likely did marry and live happily ever after. Both were faced with the loss every parent faces - their kids growing up and moving on. Given the alternatives of future life in their small town, it is only natural that they likely gravitated towards each other. Everything written to date, in my humble opinion, points towards such an ending, even though we never get to see it.

Imagination is a wonderful thing and so thank you Amy for leaving us to dream a bit about the futures of the characters in Gilmore Girls. Special thank you to Lauren Graham for her upbeat and often alluring portrayal of the single mom. How in the world Luke took so long to avoid colliding with this beautiful woman is beyond me?

The Big Letdown

Author: Aqtania-1 from United States
15 October 2007

This episode was not only a huge letdown but was certainly the worst written episode in this great show's history. What should have been a celebration of Rory's long-awaited graduation and the conclusion of a fine television series was turned into a rushed and far-fetched episode. Almost all the characters were written out-of-character and the story was incredible. Just two weeks after Rory showed Logan around her home town and again showed her love for this man she suddenly found it quite easy to say no to a sincere and loving marriage proposal. Even though she was considering a possible job offer in San Francisco she still said no? Errors in characters and story abounded here. Chris was all for a marriage at Lane's wedding last year. Then he was surprised and worried at the graduation? Richard was all pro-Logan from the start but looked overly embarrassed at the party. The worst was Lorelai who talked nicely to Logan's face but then was the picture of negativity behind his back. It was not a good image for Lorelai. Did she really think that Logan wouldn't propose after a nearly three year relationship with Rory? Then she told Rory she had done the right thing in saying no. I was all for Rory having a career but it is a complete insult to think she had to choose between a career and a husband. Apparentally the two writers of this episode forgot that this is the 21st Century and women no longer have to make these types of choices. Rory & Logan didn't have to get married or even engaged to end this series. But the way this contrived break-up was handled was an insult to the viewers. It was a sad and unnecessary ending here.

isn't that clear...?

Author: felixoteiza from Canada
11 May 2007

There has been so much internet abuse being heaped these days upon those who bring us the G.Gs. that I wonder if some people really understand what they are watching. Come on! this is about the real world, people, not about Fantasyland. Here you learned—if you did not know it already—that relationships can be complicated things; that many families are little more than forced, unpleasant, associations, etc. Now, concerning our two leading ladies...

Rory: her motto could well have been Girl On Go. She was uprooted while still a baby and taken to a place where most of the people she met were travelers. Her father was usually on the go, too. All this resurfaces in her teens—as usual—when she comes to have two homes and then, 3 boyfriends, all outsiders! So, her lifestyle has been decided almost at birth: she is about to travel. Now, about her and Logan: their last dialogue is a mirror reflection of their first serious one, with him now playing the role of the one who wants commitment. At the beginning he was the free, independent one, but only because he was immature. Since then he has matured, yes, but thanks to her; the new Logan is all her work. That is why he feels now he must have her by his side, to keep the process going. He needs her, so there is nothing selfless in his offer, quite the contrary (when lovers talk about the ties that bind them, in real life, they are usually talking "rapport de forces"—about who is the one holding the aces). But in the same process she has matured too, she does not need him anymore. So, for her to accept his marriage proposal would amount to sacrifice her future, her career, for him; to do what women of her ilk stopped doing generations ago. (Of course she could marry, and follow her career, but only to a man who would allow her to do both things.)

Lorelai: at the root of the (still beautiful) L.L. affair lies her profound love deprivation, caused—as usual—by parental neglect. Deep inside she has always been the little girl desperately waiting for mom to come to hug her and tell her that she loves her (that could have been the true reason for her running away at 16). Luke's coffee--love has been only an ersatz for that, all these years. He was the one holding the aces in their affair...and he rarely allowed her to forget it—he was the one walking out on her, every time. But now something traumatic has come to shake her whole world, to throw her into reality: Emily has become old, she will never be the mother she never was. Little Lorelai must stop waiting for mom and come out of the doll house, to the real world. And that is what she does. Life has prepared her well for this moment after all. Then, her jeep breaks down—and with it, her Luke addiction. She is free at last; free to choose who she will love, as she does not need anyone anymore. Now she can be friends with Emily, with Luke, Chris. That is her reward for having broken her chains. What Jackson really did to her was to force her into a rite of passage: he closed shut the escape door behind her, leaving the little girl homeless, with nowhere to go. Now, the current state of affairs has been brilliantly insinuated in the Kirk-in-the-box bit. Kirk has usually served as a thermometer of the L.L. relationship. He envied what L.L. had and always behaved towards them as a dog at the foot of its master's table, reaching for the spoils that may fall from it—house, boat, etc. They were his model. Now for the first time he is looking down on them, even with contempt, as they babble confusedly about saving what is left of their thing. To him, who still has a lot going on with Lulu, they must look pathetic. But this is because for the first time Lorelai is examining her ties with Luke in a cold, calculating, fashion. She is thinking hard about it, although we cannot see the workings of her mind. One thing is certain, though, and I will bet my lunch money on it: if they reunite as a couple after all, she will never again have to explain why Chris phoned her or why she is leaving home early in the morning.

the awful episode

Author: pinkjjjez from United Kingdom
8 January 2009

I thought this was an awful episode. Logan and Rory clearly loved each other loads so why did she say NO to him? And at this point Rory hadn't got a job anywhere so why didn't she say yes to working in San Francisco? And Logan wasn't being selfish asking her to come live with him in San Francisco!!! I thought that Rory should have been happier about the proposal it was all a bit subdued. I was very disappointed and a bit angry about this episode. I think the ending should of been them getting married. And they shouldn't have split up why did they have to either get married or split up i thought that was just plain daft!!! altogether I was VERY Disappointed with the end of Gilmour Girls.