IMDb > Megamind (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Don't miss it...

Author: Amit Srivastava from San Francisco
7 November 2010

I have read some reviews here and see it being unfairly compared to some Pixar's... I would rather rate it on its own merit. When I am sitting in a theater I would rather watch the current movie than try and compare it with others I have seen before. I guess that is just me! So here goes.

It is worth a watch (or two if your kids want you to). The story is built up on a traditional superhero concept inspired heavily from the first "Superman" movie to the "Return of Superman". However, the jokes are often original and some can get an LOL out of you. All in all, there is enough good humor sprinkled throughout the movie to keep everyone smiling.

If you can, do watch the 3D version. It has some good action scenes which look great in 3D but if not, you aren't missing a lot. This is not one created specifically for 3D pleasure - unlike Dreamwork's "How to train your dragon". Do watch out for some great dialogs by Megamind, and even some cutesy ones that seem right out of a Dilbert strip (office humor, if it wasn't clear enough). My favorite is "He is still not used to positive feedback" :) (probably funnier in context.

All in all an entertaining package.

An enjoyable animation for adults and kids alike

Author: med77_99 from Los Angeles
5 November 2010

I watched this movie tonight with my wife and kids, we really enjoyed this a lot, i found myself actually attached to the characters and intrigued by the plot. i also found myself entertained with the action scenes. my kids also enjoyed it, more so than they enjoyed the lame Alpha and Omega. I guess most of you know what the plot is, so i won't go into it. it is just fun and involves super powers and super heros battles. most of you are probably reading this to decide whether to go and see it or not, let me say, go ahead, it is worth it and enjoyable !! And i also like to add, we watched it in 2D, so im not sure how it is in 3D, but im assuming just as good if not better.

It's not HTTYD, but it still kicks butt!

Author: ridiculionius from Canada
5 November 2010

Dreamworks is notorious for creating a combination of hits and misses - their misses can be anywhere between disappointing (Shrek 3) to just plain forgettable (Monsters vs Aliens), but you'd better believe that their hits hit HARD. Their most recent release, Megamind, coming hot of the heels of the DVD release for How to Train Your Dragon (arguably one of Dreamworks' best), is, despite its poor press, a major HIT in my book.

Two aliens are placed in escape pods as infants in order to flee their respective planets, each being devoured by a black hole. One, a well-groomed humanoid with extraordinary powers, crash-lands into the lap of luxury on Earth - the other, a blue, big-headed baby, falls not far away, right into a prison yard. Each a product of their upbringing, the two boys form an intense rivalry in their school (or "shool") days, as one becomes the egotistical, he-man hero of the classroom, and the other quickly devolves into an outcast. This latter child, fed up with trying to gain acceptance, decides to turn villain on his rival - when the boys become men, they name themselves Metro Man (Brad Pitt) and Megamind (Will Ferrell), and engage in constant battles set in Metro City. One day, when Megamind actually succeeds in killing the famed superhero, he takes control of the city, turning it into a den of chaos. However, without a hero to fight, Megamind feels that he has lost his purpose, and seeks to create a new hero and rival to liven up his life again.

This movie works for 3 main reasons - first, the characters. Will Ferrell as Megamind is simply brilliant; flawed but lovable, we pity the guy for all the crap he took that drove him to villainy, we appreciate his intelligence while still laughing at his screw-ups and flamboyant nature. Surprisingly enough, what could've easily just been a purely comic protagonist became a 3-dimensional character, and you actually get to care deeply for him. Brad Pitt's small but memorable role as Metro Man provides great comedy and a snide parody of a certain Man of Steel. And let's not forget Roxanne Ritchi, voiced by Tina Fey - your typical Lois Lane damsel-in-distress. While Roxanne *does* seem to get kidnapped a lot, she never loses her cool... mainly because Megamind simply doesn't threaten her. She's brave, but she still gets scared. She's smart, but she can make stupid mistakes. She's kind and a bit naive without losing that snarky grin. She isn't the *most* rounded heroine out there, but she has her moments, and overall, she's a pretty likable character. Jonah Hill and David Cross are also great, of course, with Hill's character of Hal being oddly 3-dimensional himself, and Cross' being little more than a voice-of-reason for Megamind to play off of.

The second thing that keeps Megamind from crashing is the script - it's genuinely funny and heartfelt without seeming pretentious. The comedic moments work because they really are funny. The serious moments work because they have genuine heart - they balance solemn with sweet with sad, all without losing that honest streak that ties them together. When Megamind hurts, you truly feel his pain, and even if it doesn't exactly tug your heart-strings, it definitely serves to further your emotional investment in the movie.

And finally, the animation is just awesome. 'Nuff said. I saw it in 2D, but based on what I saw, the 3D showing would be well worth it.

Truly one of Dreamworks' hits, Megamind captures just the right combination of crazy humour and lovable characters to create a, dare I say it, MEGA-AWESOME film that kids and adults can both enjoy. 9/10

Superbly made movie

Author: Glenn Soltes from Guelph
8 November 2010

I found this movie very entertaining and provoking in both thought and emotion. It was also a very human movie. The Buddhist motifs were exaggerated but well woven into the story, and it captured the most common face of evil very very vividly.

Megamind is also biting satire and it spares no one, but has that core of truth. It can be painful to watch, especially when you see yourself.

If you identify with the main character in the movie, you will almost certainly love this movie. The movie also vividly captured many awkward and tragic human situations in a way only animation can.

The voice acting and animation were perfectly suited to the movie and the 3d complemented the movie without being distracting.

I wouldn't classify this movie as one for children. The only fault I can find in this movie is that Megamind finds purpose and fulfilment though and for the heroine. It would be so wonderful if this were indeed a reflection of reality, but it is more a necessity of Hollywood. Few women and superheros can withstand that pedestal for long. The best you can hope for is to find these things along with a women, and even that is rare enough.

I Love Megamind!!

Author: projectblue02 from Ohio, US
18 November 2010

I tend to watch all the new animated movies that come out nowadays. It's simply amazing to watch each new advancement with each new movie. Megamind truly was enjoyable to watch, all the details and small touches made it a wonderful show. Just the right amount of humor and seriousness, with a strong love interest. It's everything I was looking for in a movie. The character, Megamind himself, voiced with Will Ferrel makes him seriously lovable, how can we not love a silly underdog trying his best? Music for the movie I felt was perfect picks for each type of scene, they seem to give the movie much more power! I want to see much more of these characters, I've already seen it a few times in the theaters, 3D and normal, each time unforgettable!

Please Dreamworks, keep going with this one, its a true winner in my book, I would just love to see more!!

sick animated flick

Author: big_pk from idaho
14 November 2010

if your looking for a good old time and lots of laughs. I suggest you watch Megamind. This movie had all around laughs and took a different spin at superhero movies and gave us a great surprise that i know you would all enjoy. This flick is for all ages. Me and wife enjoyed it even thou we have no kids. I give Megamind five thumbs up . Hope you get to enjoy this wonderful movie. Make sure to bring someone you will enjoy being a kid with again . love it love it love it!!! hope to see more flicks come like this in the future. it seems that animated flicks have come a long way and continue to grow and become great movies of all time.thank you all.

Absolutely Amazing and Funny Movie!

Author: e-elisabeth28 from United States
11 November 2010

First off, I must say that I am guilty of "judging a movie" by its trailers. I have to say it was a pretty good movie because the theatre was literally roaring with laughter.. I even caught myself crying laughing at one point. That's how funny it was. What's funny about it is that it is played out in great animation with an excellently cast (Tina Fey, Will Ferell, Brad Pitt, and Jonah Hill) brewed together to make an excellent superhero movie or spoof rather.

I thought it was going to be lame, but boy was I definitely wrong, I can't say enough! I loved every moment of it and the whole good vs. evil concept was intricately woven in a different way. It was very Creative the way they rolled out the story to viewers.

one of the best movies i've seen in the past few years or so.

Author: smm77
28 December 2010

There's nothing to complain about this movie. And the story was original, actually just great if you keep in mind that it is a feel good movie. Really love to see how people can still come up with good and original stories that still have a happy ending, much like the latest Shrek movie. And the music was just great (again much like the latest Shrek movie), classics such as Back in Black, Highway to Hell, Crazy Train and Cobrastyle really made me love this movie like maddd. The people at DreamWorks are obviously pure genius. I might just be a dutch 15 year old, but you are crazy if you don't like this movie.

recap: - Original - Unexpected twists - Good music

10 stars!

Putting the Mind in MEGAMIND

Author: Cody Dang (codydang@gmail.com) from San Jose
4 April 2011

Let me begin this review by saying that I was very pleasantly surprised with 'Megamind.' I was not expecting much beyond what we've all seen in the trailers: cheeky laughs, slapstick humor, and the like. While it is certainly all there and accounted for, I was very surprised by the level of humanity and realism underneath the misleading facade of colorful, CG images which might have implied this would be a kid's movie and nothing more. Some of the great parts of the movie are present in the first few minutes of the film, where we see how Megamind came to be a villain. We see a baby Megamind being carried by his parents, who tell him that he was destined to become something, though he doesn't remember what. He is sent to Earth at the same time as Metro Man, his opposite and future rival. As fate has it, the baby Metro Man crash lands in a rich family's house while baby Megamind crash lands in a prison. They are raised in their new homes, causing them to become what their environments expect them to become. This bit in which the babies are seemingly thrown into a place where they seemingly 'belong' sets the stage for a great exploration of the theme of identity and destiny, and begs the question of whether we have roles to play or whether we directly choose our own paths.

Not much later, we see an older Megamind dealing with another problem that we should all be able relate to--the desire to be accepted by society. It is especially difficult for Megamind, being a the only blue alien among his many peers at school, while his rival, Metro Man, seems to always be the object of favor. As we get to understand Megamind's reasons for being a villain, there's an excellent example of role reversal--we perceive the 'bad guy,' Megamind, as the good guy, because we can relate to his problems and understand the motivation behind his actions. We also see the 'good guy', Metro Man, as the bad guy, because he is, ironically, less human than Megamind--Metro Man is without flaw, and is without any understanding or sympathy for Megamind. A good example is one of the earlier scenes, where Megamind accidentally starts a fire when he attempts to use a ray gun to pop corn for his classmates. Metro Man saves the class by extinguishing the fire, and he is praised while everyone shuns Megamind. Metro man and the class look past Megamind's intentions to be good, and only at the fact that a fire has been started from his attempt. They see Megamind in an unfortunately prejudiced way, and they don't consider the motivation for his actions, but only results of the actions themselves.

At that moment, Megamind feels that he and Metro man are destined to have specific roles as the bad guy and the good guy. The whole beginning sequence on the earlier years of Megamind works for well, packing a lot of humanity into first the few minutes. This is great for several reasons--we are immediately to connect to and root for our main character, Megamind, and none of it feels rushed. We immediately understand his jealousy and his desire to be accepted and have his own role--he decides that if he can't be perfect like Metro man, he will try to be what he is 'good' at--being bad. It also enables the rest of the film to explore the development of Megamind's established character and whether he is really stuck with the 'role' he's been given--and it all plays out very well as he discovers the path to one's destiny and identity with his rival Metro Man and his love interest, Roxanne. The film is also legitimately funny on multiple occasions! In short, I believe Megamind is a mega-masterpiece, and that it is also very thoughtful, putting the 'mind' in MEGAMIND.

Some villains are born to be heroes.

Author: L_Knight_91 from Kuwait
13 November 2010

Megamind, the big-headed alien always picked the last and took for granted while his rival Metroman was the school popular and the handsome boy who everyone wanted to be his friend are always in a conflict and everyone favoring Metroman, Megamind takes this chance to be a villain and extract revenge upon his rival.

Seeing the cast was quite the surprise seeing Will Farrell, Brad Pitt and Tina Fey, while i'm a huge fan of Farrell i went to this movie and it was really good, voice acting is top notch, the comedy stands out and i really liked the soundtrack since most of the songs are old-school.

This movie is recommended for everyone you will laugh and Will Farrell will draw smiles on the audience, if you get the chance to see it in 3D then go for it since the action scenes are powerful and breathtaking.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]