IMDb > "The Singing Bee" (2007/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Singing Bee" More at IMDbPro »

Not bad, but could use some work

Author: jesscat from United States
11 July 2007

I watched the first episode of this show with my boyfriend, and wasn't exactly sure what to expect out of it. It seemed as though it would have potential, but at the same time was released two months early, which I was afraid would make the show seem very rushed.

After watching it, I would have to say the show is better than I thought it would be. The idea of the show is creative, and I like the fact it is more like a game show than a competition. Contestants are changed every week, which makes the show more exciting than just seeing the same people over and over. It seems to be set up pretty good as well, and the songs are actually well known, and commonly confused songs, instead of songs that no one in their right mind would go. I like the idea of being able to at home just have fun and start singing the songs yourself, trying to see if you remember them.

This show could get better, if they fix some of the flaws that the show has. First off, the theme song is atrocious, and seems like it was thrown together in five seconds. They also need some ways to extend the show to run longer without so many commercials.

I'd like to see where this show goes, and I think if they do tweak it a bit, it might actually be a very enjoyable show to watch.

Good Idea Poorly Done

Author: rygraves9 from Canada
22 July 2007

This show has all the potential in the world, great idea's, catchy well known tunes, and upbeat contestants. It does have you singing along with the contestants and does show how little or much you actually know of the songs you hear day to day. However the show itself is poorly done with cheesy dancers, over exaggerated crowd, and a host (Joey Fatone) that doesn't really fit the role. It has no substance and lacks the emotional attachment that many other game shows embody. This show does have the ability to be a contender but that cannot be until they change the host, and the cheesy feel that the show brings. But if you are looking to watch middle aged people make complete fools of themselves than this show is the answer.