IMDb > Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2007) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Indiana Jones, Tomb Raider and Gears of War in one!

Author: djrussell from Australia
6 March 2008

I don't like to use the word "clone", cause Uncharted is far from being a clone of anything. Its almost in a genre of its own... but as I try to explain to people it is a combination of three famous series: Indiana Jones, Tomb Raider and Gears of War. It has elements from all three of those, rolled into one, which in term brew's up the sweetest dish; Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Uncharted is the story of Nathan Drake, a treasure hunter that believe's himself to be a direct descendant of Sir Francis Drake. Its not actually told whether he is or not, but he shares the last name and is a treasure hunter/explorer himself... so maybe that qualifies? Either way, Nathan is chasing El Dorado... it takes him from caves and ruins to the jungle and beyond. Think of the game as being a faster, and graphically spectacular version of an Indiana Jones movie. It shares the same highs and lows, and the pace is so wonderful you'll be dying to know what happens next.

Not only is this quite possibly the best PS3 game to date, but it is also one of the most visually stunning games you're gonna find on the market today. There's plenty of eye-candy out there these days (especially on the PS3), but Uncharted is one of few to combine that, story, and killer gameplay all in one. If you own a PS3; buy this game. It's worth every penny and it'll have you coming back for more than one take! An average play through will last anywhere from 15-20 hours... and there are other difficulties that can be unlocked, as well as hidden treasures throughout the game that unlock special features on the Blu-ray disc (eg. making of videos, artwork, etc).

The only thing left to do now is wait for the sequel! And let me tell you people - this is one series that'll go from strength to strength - so expect to hear more from it :)

Best Adventure game since Tomb raider!

Author: wtfnigg from Denmark
28 May 2008

This game rocks!

Its a perfect blend between humor and action. And the graphics and realism is just like, nothing I've seen. The enemy AI is not bad neither.

This game was a experience. And the story mode is really awesome, and as many says it is a perfect mixture of Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider, but still It's really original.

The Game is AWESOME! Buy it!! or i will do it for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only minus in this game could properly be missing Multi-player. That would rock, or maybe it would destroy the game? Well everyone has different opinions about that! well as i said before BUY THE GAME NOW!!

The New Indiana Jones

Author: ElijahCSkuggs from Happy Land, who lives in a Gumdrop House on Lolly Pop Lane
12 January 2008

Naughty Dog seriously knows how to make games. I'm a gigantic fan of the Jak and Daxter games, well besides Jak Racing...or whatever that was called. But the platforming/action trilogy of Jak and Daxter are fantastic games. You probably already know that Naughty Dog is also responsible for the mega-hit Crash Bandicoot. Unfortunately I was addicted to Mortal Kombat at the time so I never played any of the Crash games. Well, just like their brethren in Insomniac games, Naughty Dog can also make other games, besides the platforming stuff. Uncharted: Drakes Fortune is an all-out blast to play, and easily one of the best games on the PS3 and the video game market as a whole.

Drakes Fortune revolves around the story of Nathan Drake, possibly a surviving member of the famous explorer Sir Francis Drake. Well, he certainly takes after Sir Drake in the love for adventure department, that's for sh!t sure. Well, this quest Drake is currently on is to find the priceless treasure of El Dorado. Unfortunately, Drake isn't the only one going after the treasure, and too bad for him, the other guys going after the treasure are bad guys. Shame for Drake they just weren't other friendly adventure seekers. But that's fantastic news for us, we get to kill all those bad guys! Throw in a couple side-stories of rescue, and an unpredictable, fantastic story revolving around Sir Francis and El Dorado and you have class A story-telling.

The game itself has some of the highest production values you'll ever come across. I recently finished playing the new Ratchet and Clank, and I thought to myself it won't be for a while until a game this good looking will come out. Boy was I wrong. This game is absolutely stunning. From the water effects, the swaying trees and even the rocks. When you can make rock look good-looking, you know you've got a pretty game on your hands. Add in unbelievable, Oscar-worthy music and incredibly realistic environment sounds, great voice work, and you have yourself one of the best sounding and looking games ever to come out for any system.

But the most important part of the story is the gameplay. And just like the story and production values, it's kickass. Puzzles, platforming (leaping, hanging, swinging etc), shoot-outs, a duck and cover system....the game has wicked good gameplay. And another great aspect to the gameplay, is the fantastic pace of the game. There are zero boring spots in the game. They don't overload you with certain areas, meaning if you just had a huge fire-fight, the next area will be a big change in gameplay, either it being some sort of puzzle, jet-skiing, platforming etc. Naughty Dog has tons of experience when it comes down to gameplay options, and it seriously shows.

The game isn't perfect, but it's damn close. I sometimes had issues with the amount of guys showing up to a shoot-out. You think you have a shoot-out cleared, and then another six guys drop down the cliff and start blasting. I sometimes had problems duckin and covering. I'd be at a weird angle, and I'd try to hurry and duck around something, but since Im at that weird angle, the duck and cover system wont work and I'd end up eating a ton of bullets. But in all seriousness, that's mostly my problem for rushing out into a unsafe area. Obviously you can think of things that bug you in any game, but that's just it, they are just minor nuisances that take barely nothing away from the overall experience.

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune instantly became one of my favorite games. It has a unique feel to it, that is very difficult to describe. It's has a vibrant quality that you just don't feel enough in games. I've finished the game on Normal and am halfway through Hard, which by the way IS Hard. And once Im done with that, yup, I'm on to Crushing, the highest difficulty. Why? Because the game has amazing replay and has awesome bonuses. There's also treasure hunting, and medal earning. You shoot 100 dudes in the head, bingo that's a medal. Drakes Fortune is a blast to play, and any fan of action/adventure games should definitely give this game a shot. 9.5 outta 10

Uncharted Is A Wonderful Achievement in Gaming

Author: Ryan Hines from United States
28 January 2009

Uncharted is an action/adventure game from developer Naughty Dog, and is simply a major achievement in gaming. Simply put, this game will blow you away. To delve into it a bit more, this game offers a plethora of action, adventure, and engaging characters. The voice acting is far and beyond anything in a game thus far, and the characters are just likable. The story is pretty basic for adventure, with some interesting details; but if you ever liked an Indiana Jones film, this is right up your alley. The action is top notch and strategy is a must when playing tougher difficulty levels. The AI is great and there's never a lack of objects to hide behind, enemies to sneak up on, or open areas to run into blazing. The adventure gives another dimension to game, constantly searching for the next cliff to hang onto, the next rope to swing from, and a total of 60 treasures to collect. It's really a blast to go jumping from place to place, climbing and swinging. You can hang on edges and cliffs while throwing grenades to deter enemies or shoot with precision. Don't pass this gem up.

Great game

Author: sashank_kini-1 from India
12 November 2009

I would not say that Uncharted is one of the greatest games of all time but there are moments in the game that makes one go wow! The Indiana Jones-like action game is packed with plenty of punch, or rather gun-fights since most of the times one is indulged in that.

Nathan is a very likable character who is perfectly voiced by Nolan North. He is passionate, adventurous and funny without going overboard and sounding cocky. Elena and Sullivan too have been given great roles as the supporting cast. A good thing with the game is that none of the voice actors, even the subordinate ones, sound bad or lazy.

The game play can be a repetitive in the beginning but later on, the tight story and the crisp action make up for it. The enemies are hard to kill (Its like some of them refuse to die!) but I liked it that way. Even on normal, the game was pretty unforgiving as I died multiple times on some occasions ( of course, once you get a hang of a particular task, its simple) but it wasn't as frustrating as the GTA games ( especially SA which took me a loooong time to complete without the cheats).

The graphics were superb though I agree with some reviewers that many components of nature could've been used in a better manner. The whole game takes about 10 to 12 hours to complete which is relatively short and I personally wanted to play more of it.

Overall, it fails to disappoint and stays impressive at all times! 8 out of 10.

Fortune and Glory, kid

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
28 January 2013

The globe-trotting adventurer is a familiar character, especially in video games. Lara Croft had her heyday between her first outing in 1996 and the last, terrible, game in 2008. The time was ripe was a new hero to take over and Nathan Drake certainly fits the bill. A descendant of Sir Francis Drake, Nathan has adventure in his blood and is determined to unravel the mystery of his ancestor's final resting place and discover the lost city of El Dorado. It's a well-worn plot, but the jovial Talespin-esque approach and likable characters keep it fresh and exciting.

Uncharted combines run-and-gun, platforming, and puzzle-solving elements as Nathan navigates hot jungles, sunny coastlines, and dark ruins, killing and fighting all the way. You have to wonder about the morality of a hero character who kills hundreds in his quest for personal wealth, but Nathan Drake's scruffy appearance and sarcastic quips will probably distract you from that.

The game is relatively hard and is split in 21 chapters without a single loading screen. However, in order to unlock the Platinum trophy you will have to beat the game on 'Crushing' difficulty, which is virtually impossible. The targeting system and movement of the character can be quite clumsy, and precision shooting really comes down to chance for much of the journey.

It took me 4 years to unlock 91% of the 47 trophies, and thankfully none of them are based on online play. Uncharted has gone on to be the PS3s flagship franchise, and this now 6-year-old game may be getting on a bit, but it's still well worth playing.

Graphics A Sound A Gameplay A- Lasting Appeal A

Great game!

Author: domtaylor from United Kingdom
19 September 2012

Even though I am writing this in 2012,this game dosen't get old.I'll try not to compare it to the others(which could be good in some ways)but I'll do that now: This game feels more fresh than the other later two and the story,although shorter, seems not cleverer but better in some ways. Uncharted:Drakes Fortune is a great game which can challenge you at some points.The shootouts get you on the edge of your seat and the climbing and adventure points are good too. This game,although with slightly repetitive gameplay,Is fantastic and makes you think. This is a must buy for all those action/adventure game lovers!

Didn't age well

Author: M_Exchange from United States
15 September 2017

The fact that I was fifty times better at "The Last of Us" indicates how much Naughty Dog has improved since it made this game. There is far too much annoying jumping and balancing on ledges. Sometimes there is no real rhyme or reason behind the direction of the jumps or just how you're supposed to make them. Sometimes the game just wants you to press super hard on the direction and jump button. In other words, the controls are god awful.

I almost always use a shotgun when I have choice in these shooter games. Not in this game. Drake is so slow to turn the gun and so delicate at close range that it's pathetic, which makes the final level excruciatingly horrible. In the final level, you're supposed to take on any number of monster and human opponents at close range-- monsters that are very adept at close range combat, which is far from Drake's specialty. Even if you had a pistol and a rifle when you entered the level, they force you to use a shotgun, which, as I mentioned, he is unbelievably unwieldy at using.

Overall, it was fairly fun, and the story was fairly good. But I literally wouldn't replay this game if you paid me. I bought the trilogy game set. I'm hoping that the next game is a vast improvement. If it isn't, I will abort the series.

A Great First Installment to One of the Greatest Series

Author: NDbportmanfan
17 November 2016

Let me first start off by saying that this review is based off the remastered Uncharted Collection and not the PS3 version of the game. The premise of the game is this Nathan Drake, descendant of Sir Francis Drake, is an explorer and treasure hunter. He is searching for the lost city of El Dorado with journalist, Elena Fisher. As the story continues there are twists and turns as Nathan uncovers the true secrets of El Dorado.

As a story I found it alright but the characters that this game has really sells it for me. As well as the action sequences, Naughty Dog really is the best at making action games and creating characters to complement the tone of the action. Whether that be Uncharted, The Last of Us, Jak and Daxter, or the great Crash Bandicoot. The action in Uncharted particularly rivals the Tomb Raider franchise, and I think the recent TR games take a lot from Uncharted.

The combat is easy to master. The real trouble I had was Nathan getting stuck in awkward cover positions. I would try and roll to one side of cover to another but instead he would go forward and get shot. This didn't happen a lot but enough that it became a noticeable problem. The jumping mechanics were not always fully responsive; I found myself on multiple occasions falling to my death because in a short instant he was ready to jump across with his hand outstretched and then he wasn't. Again minor problems to a near perfect game.

Now to the voice acting, What can I say Nolan North can do no wrong and this is certainly one of his more memorable characters in Nathan Drake. There is a reason why there has been a movie in the works for I don't know how many years. All the voice actors are great but North was definitely the stand out.

Uncharted is definitely a series that you need to check out if you haven't already. I was late to the party but I'm catching up and I am having a blast. It is way more fun going from one to the next rather than waiting two years for each game, that is for sure.

Entertaining game

Author: 851222 from Lithuania
14 October 2016

Greetings from Lithuania.

"Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" (2007) is a very entertaining VG, which i first time played just now in 2016 when i bought "Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection" (2015). I kinda lowered my expectations after beating 4th part before playing this one, because it was made back in 2007 and as you know, games are not as movies - they do age. But "Drake's Fortune" was a big surprise to me (and in a good way) of how fun and entertaining this game is. Sure, when playing it just now you i kinda didn't feel the scope of location in which action took place, but great game play and entertaining script made it work.

Overall, you should definitely try "Drake's Fortune" even now in 2016. It has good story, superb main and side characters (if you can call Sully and Elena side characters), great game play and fun overall experience. Very good game, truly believe it was a blast back in 2007.