IMDb > "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Secret Diary of a Call Girl"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

Deliciously wicked drama from ITV2

Author: DVD_Connoisseur from England
28 September 2007

"Secret Diary of a Call Girl", Billie Piper's controversial and highly adult series, is the first home-grown drama from ITV2. Based on the blog and subsequent novel by the mysterious Belle de Jour, this is an insight into the life of a high-end call girl who turns normal prostitute stereotypes on their head. Annoyingly, the production has a slightly soft focus sheen which gives it a somewhat abstract (and low budget) feel. Visualise an '80s pop promo and you'll know what I mean!

It's only a matter of minutes before the first episode kicks into gear with Piper delivering energetic, simulated fellatio on a gawping customer. For British television, this is no-holds-barred stuff with "F" and "C" words, and relatively graphic imagery at every turn. I was pleasantly surprised at the bravery of this drama - it doesn't disappoint but despite the sexual gymnastics on display, the series lacks any real erotic content. It has the substance of a late-night MTV video.

Piper herself delivers a great performance. She's as likable as always as both Hannah and her late-night alter ego and she makes the most of the relatively light material contained within the script.

The beautiful Cherie Lunghi plays Piper's agent, Stephanie, a no-nonsense, straight-talking businesswoman. Marvellous stuff.

8 out of 10. With this series, Piper has shrugged off the shadow of "Doctor Who"'s Rose and entered a whole new territory. Without a doubt, she's an actress that will continue to enjoy success in the fields of television and cinema.

Honest, Frank and very funny!

Author: post-orgasmic-mood from Bonnie Scotland!
28 September 2007

Diary of a Secret Call Girl. I found this show very funny and scarily honest!!

I found it very similar to a book I read a couple of years back "Diary of a Manhattan Call Girl" by Nancy Chan. That book was also quite graphic, witty and funny (well worth a read!)

Billie Piper was excellent in this show - I found myself believing that she could be/is a prostitute/escort. I am a very open minded person but I have to admit that some scenes did shock me little. I just didn't expect for her to talk while giving a BJ!!

Her character is warm, witty and funny and I look forward to watching the rest of the series.

8 out of 10!

Different and Fun

Author: carms89 from Canada
17 January 2008

When I watched the first episode I will admit I was rather scandalized. The sex is pretty graphic and they don't sugar coat too much. However, as the series went on I found myself really enjoying the characters and dying to know what would happen to Belle next. The life of a prostitute seems anything but glamorous in modern society but with in this show it was portrayed in a fun and fresh way.

This is not the show for everyone but for something fluffy to watch with some Hagen Daas and your girlfriends its rather enjoyable. I would have appreciated more character build up with more overlapping characters. However, keeping in mind that it was only 8 - twenty minute episodes I have high hopes for season two.

Very Sex and the City. Only British ... and starring Samantha.

Billie is great

Author: the_mad-scientist from United Kingdom
28 September 2007

Ms Piper is quality, her timing and playing to camera are excellent, a female Alfie?

What lets the program down is the 30 minute time slot, and this restricts the progression of the narrative. I would have liked to see more of the meeting between her agent and the girls. The lingering exterior shots are reminiscent of US series, and perhaps that is a future target for this show, however they just seemed like fillers.

The amount of information that the book and blogs provide, should easily fill the time, and a decent (or indecent) series.

Made me laugh, and the bit with the saddle, brave people. I hope they did not have too many takes, looks exhausting.

By and large a good attempt at a difficult subject, I wonder what Channel 4 would have done with the same book?

As for the aforementioned Ms Piper, sultry and naughty, very good. Watch it and laugh at how ridiculous we can all appear during sex.

Provocative and blunt series that showcases the life and times of a high class call girl!

Author: Danny Blankenship from Petersburg, Virginia
6 July 2008

"Secret Diary of a Call Girl" a new "Showtime" cable series certainly has a theme and topic of interest that viewers love to see and explore. That the sex industry and also at the same time they get a real life look at the life of a high class call girl. The series is based on the memoir "The Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl", yet this series is just as interested in everyday life moments as it is the sex trade. Billie Piper is Hannah by day and "Belle" by night to her clients and she as a high class London hooker who swears she took the job because she loves sex so much! And believe me this series is very provocative and blunt showing many of the make out scenes that really pushes the envelope even for top notch cable. Plenty of skin and sexy scenes are found with this series while at the same time as the viewer you feel the emotions of Hannah/Belle as each episode is narrated and told from her point of view and thoughts. Overall interesting series that's engrossing making it a good call to watch.

Billie as Belle!

Author: TheDoctorDonna from UK
20 May 2008

Cheeky, sassy and sexy-three words that sum up ITV 2's secret diary of a call girl. The music, the sets and the dialogue are raunchy, fast and jaw dropping-and thats just the first episode! Billie Piper was the perfect choice to play Belle, a high class prostitute living in London. Belle is more than happy to share her view on prostitution with us, explaining the highs and the lows, the different areas and how she copes. We also see Belle tackling several situations, including a client who likes her for who she is, not for the work she does, an awkward 42 year old client, and of course her keeping her double life secret from those she loves.

She pretends shes a legal secretary for a night firm-"its so boring, no-one ever asks me about it,"-just one of the many memorable quotes. Her best friend and ex boyfriend Ben is a series regular, but will she finally tell all about her double life? Secret Diary was the best thing on TV in 2007, and Billie Piper plays sassy, streetwise Belle with an edge-this is a perfect role for her and it is evident she enjoys playing it. All eight episodes are worth a look.

Yes it's racey, yes its cheeky, yes it's sexy, but it's deeper than that-watch it!

The Not-So Secret Diary of a Call Girl

Author: kaiofhearts from United States
22 December 2009

"Secret Diary of a Call Girl" is one of those shows that go nowhere. Sure there may be some resemblance of a longstanding plot, but in the end you're exactly where you started from. It's not like it's a loop, or a full circle - you just haven't gotten anywhere.

And I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, not at all actually. It's kind of comforting to know that when you watch it, it's just to entertain you. It has a kind of calming feeling to it - something that's incredibly hard to find. Yes, the main character's life goes up in flames, whatever, it still has the same calamity as it does when she's having sex. And even then, the scenes aren't exactly erotic. Their more awkward, and present.

The greatest part of this show is that its irresistible. It doesn't have the addictiveness of really good Chinese, or ice cream (for example), but it wont turn you off like the food you've been eating every meal for the past month might. While the writing might not be the best, and half the shots are filler, you always know that you could skip an episode and it wouldn't matter.

While the chemistry between Hannah/Belle and Ben is undeniable, it's almost hard to resist Alex's charm as well. While season one is much better then season two, season two is most definitely not bad, and almost feels like an end to a series. But, to the viewing pleasure of many, a third season is on its way.

"Secret Diary" is by no means perfect, but it is enjoyable. And I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Billie Piper

Author: rachelwest6969 from United Kingdom
2 May 2008

I have to say Billie Piper is a very special actress, her ability to make you believe, smile and cry are amazing, as Belle you feel for her almost to the point of being jealous of her , I know the actress/actor talking to the camera isn't new but it seems so right in "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" this series is a delicious look into the life of a hooker, call girl, whatever you wish to call it , its highs and lows with its hazards and bonuses. I've been a big fan of Billie since I saw how well she acted in a Doctor Who episode where she actually had me in tears!!! she is a very believable actress that blends into whatever she does whether its flirting with a time lord or charging for her company she seems to do it so easily. Don't miss it, rent it or buy it I guarantee you will not be disappointed , put it this way I would work with her any day lol

Surprised at how good this actually was!

Author: alana-adamson from New Zealand
24 March 2008

It seams that so many books are becoming TV shows lately with Americas huge acclaim of gossip girl which i read years ago and watched the first series and enjoyed but was slightly disappointed

BUT I also read Belles Dairy several years ago and was intrigued when i found out this interesting incite into another world was being made visual and even more so that it was an English production who tend to do more controversial things better (for example sin cites which America could never do). I was a bit sceptical about the fact Billie piper was playing Hannah/belle but she didn't disappoint she was excellent she made me feel she was a pro and nothing like the teeny bopper I remember her for!

I ended up watching all 8 episodes in one night online I was that addicted!!!!!!! And cant wait for more!

WARNING if you don't like nudity, foul language, talking about sex, watching sex scenes, or something that is kind of not moral THEN THIS NOT IS FOR YOU!!!!

BUT if you have always wondered what escort world is all about then this is for you

The only thing that really annoyed me about this show were the silent bits that seem to go on way to long watching belle shower sit stare out a window, sitting around etc the over make their point but apart form that its a solid 9

Belle, but without an edge.

Author: sisterdyster from United Kingdom
6 May 2008

I'm rather surprised to see that some of the previous commentators who have also read the book didn't find it somewhat disturbing that that the main character has been quite dramatically changed. Sure, it's a TV series that has to be "glossy" and seductive to attract an audience, and although I find Piper somewhat dull, a bit over-polished perhaps, I suppose she's doing alright.

What I find disappointing is that the book's raunchy, funny and extremely in-control woman has been transformed into a nice but flat Ann Summers girl. Take for example Belle's bisexuality (yes, the "real" Belle enjoys sex with women!), which is a recurring element in the book. In the TV series, she has to turn to the camera and reassure us that she's definitely NOT a lesbian, but she "will go gay for pay". And what's with the dilly-dallying with her "ex", Ben? I suppose this would be the book's "N". With whom she in the book has long discussions about anal sex and fisting, for example. The series' Ben doesn't even know what she does for a living.

The Belle of the series then is nowhere near the cool, funny, and sexually explosive Belle I've got to know through the book. What on the surface actually has potential as a sleek and sexy show, is really just an empty promise that even the naughtiest hooker is really a sweet and innocent girl. I agree with a previous commentator that it would have been interesting to have seen what Channel 4 could have done to evoke the true Belle.