IMDb > Vision (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Vision - Aus dem Leben der Hildegard von Bingen

Vision More at IMDbPro »Vision - Aus dem Leben der Hildegard von Bingen (original title)

Worldly biopic about an intensely spiritual woman

Author: tigerfish50 from Old London, New England
27 January 2011

'Vision' is a worthy but uninspired biopic about the renowned medieval mystic Hildegard Von Bingen, who was a nun in the Benedictine Order in 12th century Germany. The historical record informs us that she was a formidable and compassionate human being, who discouraged severe ascetic practices, believing that God intended humans to live healthy, contented lives of hard work, charity and spiritual devotion. She became the 'magistra' of her order and eventually founded two convents, writing books on medicine, composing music and teaching her own method of contemplation.

'Vision' chooses to focus chiefly on various intrigues within Hildegard's cloistered world of nuns, monks and bishops, as well as the nobility who provided financial backing for religious orders. No doubt there was some jealousy within that environment which obstructed her various endeavors, but Hildegard was a respected figure in 12th century Germany, traveling widely on preaching tours at a time when women were traditionally banned from such pursuits. Hildegard's contemplative disciplines and spiritual insights were crucial aspects of her life's work, but being difficult to film, they are pretty much ignored in favor of her worldly activities. The acting and cinematography are sufficiently competent for the task at hand, but anyone hoping to learn something profound about Hildegard's esoteric philosophy from 'Vision' is likely to be disappointed.

Outstanding Recreation of Medieval Religious Life--Best Since Name of the Rose

Author: classicalsteve from Oakland, CA
3 December 2010

Sometimes I muse: what if I woke up and found myself in the middle of the 12th century in Western Europe? What was life really like? The present film centering on one of the most "uppity" women of the Middle Ages, Hildegard von Bingen, takes you into the medieval world as few films do. As much as we often like to idealize the Middle Ages, particularly since the 19th century, the period was anything but ideal. Unlike today, people had few rights, and the powers-that-be could uplift or destroy almost at a whim. In the church, people with power used threats of persecution, usually in the name of heresy or blasphemy, which could result in excommunication and even execution as a means to reign people into modes of behavior which fit their desires and designs. Hildegard von Bingen was one of the few people who stood up to these forces and refused to bow to unreasonable demands easily.

Hildegard was remarkable because she was a woman who challenged predominantly male authority during an age when women wielded very little political influence outside of noble circles. Some queens did have some authority in political realms, but an abbess of a monastery making requests and even demands of bishops and other nobles was almost unheard of. An abbess had authority within her cloister but rarely outside. Typically abbesses were expected to be completely obedient to the local abbot and bishop, following their orders without question on bended knee. But Hildegard was not afraid to vocalize her desires and even her frustrations in front of very powerful forces. She is famous for having visions and claiming communication with God, an assertion which infuriates the local church leaders, who contest that such claims are an insult to the prophets of scripture. Why should God single her out and give her insight not given to bona fide holy people of the Bible? However, she wins favor with one of the bishops who allows her dialogs to be transcribed. Another aspect of Vision, like Name of the Rose, concerns the beautiful medieval books.

The 12th century was markedly different from modern society today but I think there were aspects more similar than we like to acknowledge. If we take a peak behind the curtain of castles and cathedrals, we see the same human desires and weaknesses we all share, which I think is one of the points of Vision. A large part of the film involves Hildegard's attachment to a young novice nun, Richardis, and the relationship becomes closer than even one of mother and daughter. Unfortunately, political and ecclesiastical power threatens the relationship, and not even Hildegard has enough influence to stop it.

The present film is a wonderful tribute to one of the most remarkable figures of the Middle Ages. Barbara Sukowa offers a tour-de-force performance as the medieval abbess who defied convention during an age when non-conventional voices were often silenced, and sometimes violently. The scenes appear to have been shot in real medieval churches and castles which brings the viewer into the 12th century in a way very uncommon in most cinema which depicts these times. Although the 12th century is now 800 to 900 years away, the atmosphere is strangely familiar. Although details about everyday life would probably be unbearable for most of us in the modern age, such as the darkened candle-lit rooms and the constant threat of illness, many desires and fears which permeated life then are not unlike today. High-ranking officials often sought power while there were others who simply wanted to love and be loved and find the best means possible to bring this into being. People in the Middle Ages were still human beings.

A disappointment

Author: wj2007 from United States
27 November 2010

This movie was a disappointment. The viewer coming to the film without a knowledge of who Hildegard of Bingen was and her significance is likely to leave the movie in almost the same condition. Why nine hundred years after her life is she still discussed? This movie will not answer that question.

The plot is minimal and predictable. It tells the story of Hildegard's becoming a nun, becoming the head of her group of sisters, starting her own nunnery, her conflicts with male authorities, and her relations with political authorities. At least as presented in Vision, this is not riveting. Neither the photography nor the acting is very impressive.

While the movie alludes to Hildegard's musical works, her scientific and medical interests, and devotes time to her visions, we do not receive a coherent well developed picture of the woman and her accomplishments. And that is a disappointment since Hildegard was an interesting person.

In short, Hildegard the person simply is not the same as Vision the movie. A movie reviewer ought not confuse the two.

To cite just two points on which a more enterprising film might have focused:

(1) For all of the movie's talk of Hildegard's visions, no effort is made to present them visually. That could have been quite dramatic cinema. Even if the budget constrained dramatic staging of the visions, a skillful writer would have used a plot device (such as manuscript illuminations or wall paintings) for graphic effect. It would have provided us with some feel as to their power and impact on her contemporaries. Alas, instead the movie has Hildegard narrating small disconnected passages without any real vitality.

(2) The movie ends just as Hildegard is going out to preach. She made four such trips and apparently they had major impacts throughout the Rhineland. Yet we do not see those trips. Undoubtedly they could have been presented in very dramatic fashion. Alas again, the movie misses a great cinematic opportunity.

One final point before closing. Yes, Hildegard is a strong woman resisting domination by male Church leaders, a creative artist, and an interesting intellectual figure. Unfortunately her legacy is not wholly uncontroversial. Some of her visions are profoundly anti-semitic. During the Second Crusade of 1147, the Jewish communities of the Rhineland were massacred. While Bernard denounced these mobs, Hildegard was silent. Wouldn't a more balanced picture of Hildegard have shown these moral failures? It might have made for a more interesting movie.

As expected

Author: sergepesic from Minneapolis, USA
18 July 2011

Independent German film was for decades the mainstay of the European cinematography. Brave, original thinking and the courage of the expression made it a breath of fresh air for the movie lovers. Unfortunately these days are long gone. Almost everybody tries so hard to be hip and Hollywoodlike. If we explode few things and simplify the plot for every simpleton, how can we miss? Well, we miss time and time again. The eternal beauty of filmmaking is about trying and having an idea, and a story to tell. It seems that there are no stories left to tell, or there are no people left who like the stories to be told to them." Vision" is a strange, unfinished movie, but it is an honest attempt to feel and think, and that is all one needs in this art form.

Excellent film about a remarkable woman

Author: Red-125 from Upstate New York
18 March 2011

"Vision - Aus dem Leben der Hildegard von Bingen" was shown in the U.S. with the shortened title Vision (2009). It was written and directed by the excellent director Margarethe von Trotta.

As the German title tells us, this film is about the life of Hildegard von Bingen, one of the most fascinating historical figures of the Middle Ages. Von Bingen was a nun, a mother superior, a mystic, a healer, a theologian, and a composer. (Her musical works have survived, and they are still popular among lovers of early music.)

The gifted actor Barbara Sukowa plays von Bingen. Sukowa possesses the skills to make it clear to us that von Bingen was not only brilliant. She was a strong, forthright person. She did not hide behind her nun's habit--she used her status as a Mother Superior to interact with many of the other great personages of the 12th Century. She corresponded with bishops, theologians, philosophers, and members of the royal families of Europe.

This movie shows us some beautiful scenery, and so it would be better seen on the large screen. However, in my opinion, this is a must-see film. If DVD is your only option, go for it!

Note: If you read the other reviews for Vision, you'll see that I'm not the only IMDb reviewer to like it. However, the average IMDb rating of the film is a dismal 6.6. I find this inexplicable. It's one of those situations where I ask myself, Did those people see the same film I saw? My advice--ignore the low rating and decide for yourself whether this is a movie worth seeking out or not.

Vision is Clear in this Film

Author: Julie Ann Brown from Santa Barbara, California
16 January 2013

The film is named Vision. It is very appropriate as the music that weaves the visuals to greater experiences by the viewer is from the CD of Hildegard's music by Richard Souther called by the same name, Vision. music) both stir the soul of her demographic to height upon height. Well done German filmmakers!!! The film was visually stunning. It is difficult to tell the tale of the most powerful female in Western Culture and do it in a universal manner. It is obvious that this film had a team that had their own Vision to do more than make a film, but create a digital film footprint of a globally known and loved academic, spiritual, and feminist historical icon and mentor.

beautiful recreation of 12th century---feminist take on famous nun

Author: filmalamosa from United States
25 July 2012

The movie follows the life of Hildegard Von Bingen a famous medieval nun/magistra/convent founder who had religious visions and was interested in science, music, medicine, and much more...

The cinematography was absolutely beautiful and the story captivated me even with its modern feminist sensibilities every where....from the suitably milque toast priest Volmar to her renaissance passion for all intellectual pursuits....The cliché over veneration of books learning etc comes off as nerdy and dumb when exaggerated too much as it was in this movie. That said I wish I had read up on Hildegard before watching; there was apparently much substance to the woman--the movie fails here..having her oohing and aawing over stacks of books or staging an avant garde (for the era) play doesn't do her credit.

The part of her that captivated me of course were the visions. Everyone hopes things like that are not mental illness. You grow to really like this woman and that is the key to good cinema no?

The character of Richardis is good too...more than a hint of female homosexuality that was sublimated by both parties.

This movie would have been a 10 if the visions had been shown better and the pseudo intellectual nerd and feminist stuff toned down.

RECOMMEND

A woman a thousand years ahead of her time, bringing light to the Dark Ages

Author: reviewsbywomen from United States
29 November 2010

Woman's Work is Never Done - This movie, a true story about an unstoppable12th century woman who advanced theology, philosophy, music and women's rights is interesting and informative. Hildegard von Bingen rose above the men around her to forge changes. The oppressive patriarchal atmosphere in which she functioned is almost tangible. The prevailing religious mood of 12th c. Germany is so vividly portrayed as to sting the senses, and underlines the importance of Hildegard's opposition. She preached love and refused to endorse the harsh religious practices of the day. Mercy was better than sacrifice she said, and she was passionate about the right to self-determination. The movie captures this pure emotional passion, (not sexual), by its brilliant casting and fine acting.

The film "Vision, from the Life of Hildegard von Bingen," written and directed by Margarethe von Trotta, is an inspiration, and we are grateful she brought the accomplishments of this woman to the screen. Barbara Sukowa in the title role convincingly portrays the commitment of a woman compelled to live out her destiny.

This is an opportunity to learn about a woman a thousand years ahead of her time. Living within the walls of the Benedictine order, Hildegard von Bingen accomplished so much in so many areas of life, and the history of the whole era comes to life in this film, much like the history of John Keats' era came to life in "Bright Star." The powerful insights von Bingen received from her visions of God are shown being recorded in manuscripts by her male secretary - Volmar sympathetically played by Heino Ferch. The healing powers of her music are witnessed in the film and remain available for all to enjoy today, but what a treat to see it all happen in Technicolor in 2010 in America.

2 ways of looking at vision

Author: marymorrissey from United States
20 September 2012

there's a lot about this movie that is very kitsch and tempted me to reject it out of hand without finishing: terrible use of CGI in depicting the "visions", hackneyed interpretation of the role of a saint as burning urgent faithfilled zombie on Ritalin, as old as Saint Joan, God and Barbara, etc., ping-pong "topper" pious dialog, alte musik meets ambient electronica vision score, the good guys vs the bad guys thing (all dressed in black however), ellipses that are bit strange (somehow Hildegarde/Richardis become Petra von Kant/Karin Thimm in a scene that seems to come out of nowhere dramatically), and finally the generally overheated soap operatic treatment of a sacred theme...

however...in spite of all this, the whole thing is managed pretty deftly and cleverly and once I embraced it with a more camp perspective I came to quite enjoy this romp of sapphic sisterhood!

honest portrait

Author: Vincentiu from Romania
29 August 2012

I am Orthodox and the lives of Catholic saints are , for me,not more than nice episodes from good people existence. not the visions, not stigmata, not crumbs of piety are arguments for their sainthood. so, this movie was a source of delight. because it is tale of a woman. a real woman, far from aura or perfect gestures. a woman of a time. a victim and a conquerer. with falls and victories. a honest portrait, not very credible but honest ,about a human been in search of Truth. front against temptations. almost prey of them. sketch of Rennaiseance , she is a revolutionary and her fight fruit of strange visions. the central ingredient - images. the sweet part - exaggerations. many and amusing.but intention to give a not pink/fake portrait is good thing. and so, poor Hildegard has a honest portrait.