IMDb > "The Sopranos" The Blue Comet (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Sopranos" The Blue Comet (2007)

« Prev | 85 of 86 Episodes | Next »

Hold Your Breath. Here It Comes...

Author: loudprincess from United States
3 June 2007

Blue Comet is definitely one of those episodes that had me holding my breath. Of course, we're probably all expecting violence and bloodshed, but no amount of bracing for it can take away from the great direction and writing in this one. If you've been wise enough to not read any of the speculative comments on Sopranos bulletin boards, you'll be taken aback by a lot of the action in this installment.

******** SPOILERS ********* The Hobby Shop scene, despite the fact that I was half-expecting it, was more poetic than I anticipated. There have been scores of killings on this show, but I don't remember one with such an appropriate touch. THe trains derailing, the close-up of the toy woman with her hand over her mouth in shock, and the overhead shot of Bobby splayed across the shattered display were perfectly appropriate for the one LCN member with the most heart.

I LOVED the scene with Dr. Melfi reading up on psychoanalysis of criminals. At every highlighted word, we're lead to remember all of the things Tony has said and done over the years. SLICK. And her consultation appointment with Tony? FIERCE.

Like most of the episodes over the years, I know I missed a LOT of details in this installment, so I'm anxious to watch this one again.

The End - Part I

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
5 June 2008

When Tony got arrested at the start of Season Six, Part II, Carmela asked: "Is this it?" Now, seven episodes later, the answer to that question is an undisputed yes - this is really it, the beginning of the long awaited end.

With AJ hospitalized and Meadow still upset over what happened in the previous ep, Tony is in a very uncomfortable position. On top of that, Phil decides to finally go through with calling hits on the entire Soprano clan, citing Tony's behavior regarding the Vito Spatafore situation as a good reason for killing him. The New Jersey mob responds by calling a hit on Phil, but a case of mistaken identity makes it all much worse - nothing is certain any more, and the show's trademark tension has never been higher.

Okay, so this isn't the real conclusion (there's one more episode to go), but The Blue Comet does represent a closure for at least three characters: two of them I won't mention, because that would mean giving too much away, the third is less risky to discuss - Dr. Melfi. That's right, she doesn't appear in the series finale, as Tony sees her for the last time in this show, lambasting both her and his eight years of therapy with his usual acerbic remarks. And though it is kind of sad that Melfi won't be part of the real final moments of the program, her exit couldn't be better than what David Chase has come up with for her farewell to her most disturbing patient. Much of the credit goes to Lorraine Bracco too, her careful, honest performance having been one of the highlights of this superb drama. Her departure, along with that of Michael Imperioli, another essential presence since Episode 1, is just another confirmation of what viewers have expected and at the same time feared the most: the end is near.

best episode ever

Author: ivansampras from Italy
7 June 2007

Just one word, perfect. Best episode of The Sopranos. I can't wait for Sunday. It keeps your eyes on the TV screen for every single second. I wont tell what happens, but I want to say that I'm waiting more next episode than next Indiana Jones movie.I'm sorry that here in Italy nobody knows about The Sopranos. Everyone likes O.C. and they watch it like it's the greatest thing on TV. I've just one thing to say to this people, wake up! You're losing the best thing on TV for what? A teenager series where the story is so bad that after one minute of watching it I said "ok, I think it's better if I go to study something". David Chase invented a perfect mix between The Godfather and Goodfellas and he gave us an unforgettable masterpiece. Thank you David. PS sorry for my English, I think my teacher is wright when he says that I'm bad in grammar

Everithing comes to an end

Can't wait another week...

Author: fubarcivic from Canada
5 June 2007

I've seen every episode the Sopranos have had to offer. This was by far the best episode to date in my opinion. The last 20 minutes were rock solid. You can't help but feel that if Christopher was still alive, Tony might not be in such a bad spot... The action sequences were very good, the suspense was intense and this is definitely the BEST lead up to a season/series finale I've ever seen (Doesn't compete with the likes of 24, Lost, Prison Break, Rome, etc...) This series has been solid throughout, and you can see why it is they split up season 6 into two parts. The first part was nothing compared to the second. Those who haven't seen this episode you missed something HUGE.

Now, if only Sunday came by faster...!

The Blue Comet (#6.20)

Author: ComedyFan2010 from Canada
1 April 2014

AJ spends some time in the hospital while Junior is out of money for his. And Dr. Melfi finds out more about the study against therapy for criminals. Phil kills off a few of Tony's men. Tony sends a hit-man for him too but he kills a wrong person and when everybody believes that it is safe Phil makes another attack. Now Tony and his family go into hiding to be safe.

I am a bit sad about how it ended with Dr. Melfi. Especially because this study is nonsense but will make stupid people who watched this show believe it.

But I did like all the action in this episode. It is really coming towards the end. Was sad to see Bobby die, but it was an amazing scene.

Season 6(2): A good season with great bits but not quite the flow and cohesive detail that other seasons made look effortless

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
21 April 2010

I'll post this review on this penultimate episode as I already did a review on the final episode when I watched it first time around. I had started the first part of season six with caution as I remembered it not being as good as it turned out to be. The second half of the season was set in my mind in the same way but in this case my memory was correct as the issues I could remember having with it turned out to be correct and indeed while there are brilliant bits to the second part of season 6, and it provides a classic conclusion, it is not quite as strong as the previous seasons.

I think my main problem with it is that it doesn't seem to have the flow and determination of point that it normally does. A lot happens but not all of it is as well done or as textured as I have become used to. Christopher's murder is one example because I didn't think that the reasons for Tony's decisions had been allowed to come to a head within him, while the aftermath in terms of his subconscious is dealt with too quickly. It doesn't help either that a lot of this half of the season seems to focus on AJ; I'm sure in terms of actual time it is small but he feels like he is there all the time and that his depression and constant selfish changes and turns are never off the screen for long. In some ways this should have been good because it should have allowed us to see Tony projected through another person while also seeing Tony's reactions to what he himself has created. I say it "should" have been interesting because in reality it isn't. Instead it does get quite tiresome because we "get" AJ early on in this season's narrative and the more we see of him doesn't tell us more about him – so in the end it is a bit like being told the same thing over and over but with different examples to illustrate it while you say "OK I get it" to no avail. It isn't awful by any means but this part of the season has undeserved prominence and it doesn't work for me.

Fortunately we still have plenty of great stuff in here. The central feud with New York and Phil in particular works well and engaged me while the ongoing family clashes with Tony do well to grab the attention while also informing a lot about the characters. Tony and Bobby is a new dynamic and it works well, specifically in the episode given over to Tony and Carmela visiting with Bobby and Janice up north. The thread that used to be the main one in the show (or at least in terms of tagline description) is brought to a nice close as the viewer (and Melfi) are left wondering if any of these revelations and insights have been real or not and what good if any has been done by these seven years spent talking. As before the show is best when it is revealing the characters and yet again Tony is laid bare as selfish, callous and cruel; his talk of the importance of family and his sweeping sentimental intentions pulled down in front of us where once we were very much on his side, by the time we end we see him clearer than ever and it makes his death perhaps an understandable conclusion.

The material may not be quite as strong in terms of complexity and flow but the performances still are strong. Gandolfini is strong right up to the final shot and this series will forever be the thing he is rightly remembered for, as he never is out of character or appearing to "act" so much as just "be". Falco is a great presence as well but has less to do this season. Imperioli repeats his performance from previous seasons but he is still good with it. Bracco may not have a lot of time compared to previous seasons but her sessions are still important and she brings her thread to a close well. Iler still leaves me wondering. It is not his fault so much as the material but he is annoying as a character and his performance doesn't manage to reveal anything behind the selfish petulance in the way that we had seen Gandolfini do in similar scenes. Turturro is perhaps another example to contrast with Iler, as her character is a monster but yet her performance makes it telling and interesting. Schirripa becomes more important again and his is a sweetly touching performance. Chianese is off to one side but he is still good as he loses his mind. Sigler, Sirico, Van Zandt, Vincent and others turn in the strong supporting roles that we are used to.

And so, with a jarring suddenness that we never heard coming, the show ends. This season is perhaps not the best of the seven years and it does have its problems but it is still "good" – just not as good as it should have been. Like what happened with The Wire's final season, it just feels like everything that had always seemed so effortless isn't working quite as well. So, while it is still better than most stuff on TV, this final season is not quite there and those that have watched it from the start will see this reasonably clearly.