IMDb > "The Sopranos" The Second Coming (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Sopranos" The Second Coming (2007)

« Prev | 84 of 86 Episodes | Next »

The Pot's About to Boil Over

Author: loudprincess from United States
20 May 2007

Tonight episode dealt primarily with A.J.'s increasingly somber mood and the worsening relationship between Tony and the NY guys. Tony's in deep, deep trouble with Phil Leotardo, so much so that even Little Carmine tries to intervene.

It's an interesting episode, full of drama, and even a jarring, violent altercation (or "alteration," as Little Carmine calls it). This episode really blurs the line between Tony's humanity and his animalistic responses. One minute, he's saving A.J. from himself, the next, he's avenging a slight towards Meadow. In my opinion, this is probably James Gandolfini's finest work so far on The Sopranos.

Now, if only the next two weeks could fly by a little faster!

Closer to the edge

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
4 June 2008

The dramatic events of Kennedy and Heidi suggested Tony Soprano would have some pretty dark thoughts and emotions to deal with in the series finale. The Second Coming increases the darkness as much as possible, containing events that will truly determine the premise of the last two episodes of the show.

Following Christopher's death, neither Tony nor Carmela know how to cope with the situation, especially after AJ's depression leads him to a suicide attempt in the pool. Moreover, Tony ruins his already strained relationship with Phil Leotardo by kicking the crap out of a guy who molested his daughter. Apparently, the full scale war between New York and New Jersey that he has tried to avoid for years looks bound to happen.

Emotionally, The Second Coming isn't nearly as strong as the previous episodes, or the following ones, but as a tone-setter for flawlessly executed drama it has few rivals, especially in the tragic scenes involving Anthony Jr. and his father's reaction to his suicidal thoughts. Plus, for those lamenting originality in the violent bits, the restaurant confrontation between Tony and the jerk who harassed Meadow is the single most revolting sequence in the show's history. If you've seen American History X, you'll have a pretty good idea of how extreme, but also incredibly powerful, that moment is.

Tony does and American History X

Author: johncooper76 from United Kingdom
26 May 2007

Savage episode with Tony committing an Edward Norton on Cocco who insulted Meadow.

AJ is frazzled. Carmella doesn't know what to do. Meadow is amazingly level headed after growing up in that household. And I reckon there's going to be a big big showdown between Phil and Tony. I really really hope that my suspicions for the end of this series are wrong. I cant see how this whole scenario can be sewn up in to one big happy ending. Tony's losing his way with things and I suspect that there will be some sort of moral story to the whole thing which cannot possibly result in Tony winning all of his battles and continuing with his life of crime.

That was close...

Author: ValerinAmberz from Thailand
4 June 2008

***WARNING SPOILERS*** Emotionally disturbing episode of the Sopranos. After having watched probably a hundred people die over these 6 seasons, I have become sort of indifferent as to who gets to meet his maker. They all have it coming in one way or another. And if there once in a while are innocent victims they are almost always cameos which you still don't get to feel much about. Even Adriana had it coming in one way or another. She knew she was in a relationship with a killer and didn't care. She knew her club and lifestyle was financed by blood-money and didn't care. After 6 seasons probably the only decent person in the whole show A.J (along with meadow ) speaks up and later decides to kill himself. I can't imagine what would have been left had he suceeded. The ending is near. I can feel it. I really hope the writers won't make a mess out of this. I think that after Christopher's death, just about any character can leave the show simply for a fast closing.

The Second Coming (#6.19)

Author: ComedyFan2010 from Canada
31 March 2014

AJ's depression grows more and more so that he attempts suicide in the pool and is saved by Tony. After he ends up in the hospital and has therapy session with his parents. Meadow is approached by one of Phil's guys. When Tony finds it out he is very angry and beats him up. This ruins his relation with Phil.

Well after this only 2 episodes left. I think the problem with Phil will plat a crucial role in the end. And the scene in the restaurant was pretty brutal.

Was interesting to see Dr. Melfi's session where her psychologist tells her that criminals who get therapy are actually more likely to re-offend.