IMDb > Brutal Massacre: A Comedy (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Brutal Massacre: A Comedy More at IMDbPro »

I was really disappointed

Author: hanyzzek from Czech Republic
20 July 2008

I saw this movie a few days ago... what the hell was that?

I like movies with Brian O'Halloran, they are funny and enjoyable. When I saw a name of this title and genre I thought great, this one could be really good... some parody for slashers or another gore movies... but.. then i read a preview and thought right it could be good anyway... but it wasn't...

my opinion: if like movies they look little bit like documentary, with little bit of comedy try some Moore's movies or Alien autopsy, they are really about something. this one was empty.

and put A comedy to title... no comment... really bad joke

The "Spinal Tap" of horror? Don't think so...

Author: B-GradeFan from United States
1 August 2008

I really wanted to like this movie and watched all the way through thinking it had to get better. Don't get me wrong, it's not the worst flick ever but it never lives up to it's potential. The premise is good, the cast is great (I was especially pumped to witness the return of David Naughton) and, God love 'em, you can tell everyone tried their best. It just falls short over and over again. "Brutal Massacre" should serve as a constant reminder to filmmakers that only Christopher Guest can do Christopher Guest movies and, despite the fact he makes it look easy, you should probably just forget trying to do the same. Naughton and Brian O'Halloran are fantastic in this and they should be seen more often...they are the reason this gets 4 stars from me. If you're going to have the "Spinal Tap" of horror I suspect you might want the guy who made "Spinal Tap" to helm it...just thinking out loud there.

eh.....Go see the film it stole from, "ACTRESS APOCALYPSE" instead

Author: Alberto from Kissimmee, Florida
11 August 2008

Alright, so I've been dying to see this movie. Stoked about the, "who's who" in horror land that are in the film....well, my friend rented this, brought it over, and we started watching it. It's supposed to be a comedy....I did not smirk even ONCE, until the 40min mark.

Does it have to do with the budget? Not at all, in fact, there's films out there that cost CLOSE TO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, and they're amazing (to me anyways). Also, while watching this film, I couldn't help but realize the similarities (i.e., STEALING) to a low budget indie film titled, "ACTRESS APOCALYPSE", read my review about it (it DESTROYS this film BTW).

This film...it had potential it really did. It had the "star power", stolen plot (lets film the behind the scenes of the making of a movie...IE..."ACTRESS APOCALYPSE"....seriously, this angers me the more and more I think about),...it really could've been funny. A LOT, A LOT of the jokes fall flat. The acting is alright for what it is. But it dragged on, wasn't funny, and the plot was totally stolen.

I give this a two, because it wasn't SOOO AWFUL, but that's the ONLY reason.

Good concept, decent acting, a bit lacking

Author: mr_Goodbomb from United States
26 July 2008

I got it off Netflix, and I'm glad I didn't pay for it. I think making fun of the horror genre, both it's creators and it's fans (with the Fangoria convention bits), could produce a LOT of funny material. This seemed to be lacking that. It had it's funny moments, but I didn't laugh out loud much. I laugh more during Spinal Tap/Best In Show/A Mighty Wind/etc, which this seemed to try and replicate but couldn't. The story was fairly predictable, I saw what was going to happen next a mile away. Really, the most enjoyable part was picking out actors from their other work (cameos from recognizable genre actors from films such as Dawn of the Dead, Evil Dead, and the always-beloved low-budget Clerks). It was worth the time of watching it, but I'm glad I watched it alone. I might have felt as if I wasted someone's time if I watched it with a group.

A Decent Film, But Not Particularly Funny or Interesting

Author: gavin6942 from United States
20 September 2008

Harry Pandarecki has made some good films... well, maybe one. And a slew of really, really bad ones. With funding getting more difficult to procure, we follow him on his one last chance for greatness. This mockumentary, following the film "Brutal Massacre" from scouting to filming to completion, is somewhere between horror and comedy, really missing the point of either.

Fangoria magazine called this the "Spinal Tap" of horror films. And, sure, there are some parallels. But "Spinal Tap" was witty and just plain funny, whereas this film strains to get a good joke across. With Fangoria's Tony Timpone featured in the film, as well as the magazine, it's no surprise they'd endorse this one. There's even a 40% coupon for a subscription in the box. Thanks, Tony, but you keep shilling for failures and what little credibility you have left will be lost.

I saw a twenty minute preview of this film presented by Ellen Sandweiss and Brian O'Halloran. I spoke with both of them later that night while drinking some tasty beers, and they're some very friendly cats. But, sadly, the only part of the preview that was funny was Gunnar Hansen, and this is an accurate description of the movie. Five minutes of laughs, ninety minutes of boredom. If it weren't for all the topless scenes, I don't know if I would have made it through the film on my first try without intestinal distress.

I look forward to meeting O'Halloran again. As I say, he's a cool cat and has made some great films. This is not one of them. Even the lines he ad-libbed (the Amazon jungle rant, for example) just weren't all that clever (and I don't blame him for this... he shouldn't have to pick up the slack of the actual writers) and his talents were wasted on this production. It was great to see Sandweiss, Hansen, Ken Foree... Mick Garris shows up briefly. So they knew what sort of genre people to get the attention of horror fans. Unfortunately, the writer and director (Stevan Mena, "Malevolence") just didn't have the skills to make this what it could have been. For a horror mockumentary, see "Behind the Mask" and leave this one for a last resort.

Brutal documentary

Author: kai ringler from United States
7 April 2009

This one will take some getting used to,, first off this is a movie about the making of a movie. it pokes fun at all of the processes that go into making a movie,, like yhou got to deal with whiney cranky actors, missing props, bad hair days,, you name it,, well this fellow Harry the director seems to be cursed from day one,, he even ends up with a dead crew memeber,, get's slapped for touching a girl's breasts, to name a few,, this one does start out extremely slow,, so i would say the first 25 mins were painful to watch,, but low and behold the movie does get interesting and you actually start to care about the characters and wshat happens to them,, so i think that the movie did a fine job salvaging itself from middle all the way to the end.. so not bad,, if you want sometning to laugh at , and poke fun at.

Brutal

Author: James Wright from United Kingdom
12 May 2016

I want to recommend this movie, the cast have been in some great movies and someone clearly laboured over the script. But in the end it just doesn't deliver enough in any department to truly be all that likable.

The story is about the making of a horror movie and the crew have some problems...That is it. This is the opposite of Smothered, a horror movie starring horror icons where there is no clear direction. Here it is all about the director, but the character work is lacking. Both are trying to explore and satirise aspects of the horror film industry, however in this case the film contains no actual horror but is a straight comedy. While the 'A Comedy' is in the title it is still surprising that a film where the main title is 'Brutal Massacre', there is no horror whatsoever. I was sitting there expecting some kind of horror shenanigans to materialise, but they never do. It's like going into Gareth Edwards' Monsters and not knowing it is a slow art piece more about aesthetics than actual monster mayhem, it makes it hard to enjoy the movie for what it is.

So to be clear, this is a straight mockumentary comedy about low budget horror. It has some good ideas and some kind of funny moments and observations but overall falls flat since most of these are either obvious or have already been done. What's more you never really care about any of the characters all that much and that hurts this film even more than had it been a straight horror, at least in that case there would have been cool deaths to enjoy. There is just too little to root for or care about, and the jokes aren't funny enough to make up for that. It is a 'meh' all-round unfortunately.

Under-appreciated.

Author: truste_99 from Colorado, US
7 March 2014

Most movies I've seen about making a movie aren't very good, but this one bucks the system. It's about a director who created one hit movie. After a series of bad movies he is basically given one more chance to create a movie that people want to watch. He and his film crew head to a small town to film his latest movie.

The director is just awful. He hires a cast of kooky film makers and actors. Everything that could possible go wrong while making a movie goes wrong in this movie. The acting is good. The characters are completely clueless.

It's a low budget movie, but is still well done. I barely even noticed the lack of big effects. I just came across this movie and didn't think much of it, but after watching it, I am very glad that I did.

Crazy funny!!!

Author: patrip78 from United States
30 December 2009

First off, I have to say this film was genius! So many great lines, so many funny scenes. I watched the film over and over and keep catching new things. This is the Spinal Tap of horror films! Any low budget horror filmmakers can connect to this film on so many levels. At first I didn't think that putting B-horror actors in a comedy would work, but Mena made it work perfectly and I think it worked because I'm sure all the actors have been in the same situations at some point in their film careers. Who would ever think that Leatherface, Gunnar Hansen, could pull off comedy. That's all I'm saying. "I was in the Nam P***y Fart". If you want to see the funny side of making a horror flick, this movie is a must see!!! God Bless Penderecki!!! I can't wait to see more of his films.

Spinal Tap for Filmmakers

Author: Photoshop_Kid from United States
8 July 2009

A friend of mine showed me this movie over vacation. We have worked in films together in the past. He told me that anyone who is a filmmaker or is currently working in independent films needs to see this movie.

Now a lot of people don't think this movie is funny because they will never get the jokes, unless they have worked in low budget films before. I have worked on a couple of nightmare projects myself and almost everything this film jokes about has either happened to me, or, on and off the film set to the rest of the crew. So far we haven't had anyone die on the set yet. This film is so close to the truth of what it is like to work on low budget films. The only people who will find this movie funny is filmmakers. It's just like Spinal Tap for filmmakers.