IMDb > "Lost" Eggtown (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Lost: Eggtown (#4.4)"

"Lost" Eggtown (2008)

« Prev | 73 of 117 Episodes | Next »

Forced, dull, and featuring some awful courtroom drama, but vaguely entertaining is spurts

Author: ametaphysicalshark from
21 February 2008

"Eggtown" is the fourth episode of the fourth season of Lost and the writing debut for supervising producer Gregg Nations (fans may recognize him as the friendly guy from The Fuselage who actually answers a fair few questions) who co-wrote this episode with Elizabeth Sarnoff. I'd love to say that it's a good debut, but it is actually pretty dull and uninspired to say the least, only remaining vaguely watchable and entertaining in spurts due to the well-established characters and the decent beach camp scenes, especially the one involving a phone call to the freighter and Charlotte's bit with Daniel.

Although "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Whatever the Case May Be" are the most cringe-worthy of episodes, "Eggtown" isn't really too far off, even though it is significantly better than those two. There's some really, really awful dialogue and silly contrivances, and the courtroom scenes are the ultimate hang-your-head-in-shame moments for a "Lost" fan, even worse than Bai Ling. Ultimately however, as previously stated, there are just enough interesting things going on that this episode doesn't become a complete turkey, it's really just the god-awful flashforward and the rubbish writing for Claire and Sawyer that stand out as being especially worse than usual for Kate episodes.

The direction is, as per usual for Stephen Williams, competent but uninspiring, relying far too much on attempting to look stylish and energetic (see the scene where Kate first arrives at the courthouse). "Eggtown" is one of the weaker episodes in the series, though certainly far from being as bad as some others mostly thanks to the story somewhat advancing. The script really is bad.

The Son

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
29 February 2008

Kate is living with Claire and contacts Miles trying to discover what he knows about her past of runaway of the justice. Mile proposes Kate to arrange a brief meeting with Ben and in return he would tell her the requested information. Kate asks Sawyer to help her and she lures Locke, getting what she wanted. Meanwhile, in a flash-forward, Kate goes to trial where the main witness is her own mother.

"Eggtown" is centered in Kate and so far it is the best episode of the Fourth Season, in spite of having no new revelation. The totalitarian behavior of Locke is despicable, imposing his leadership by force; the relationship between Miles group and Ben is still a great mystery; and the final twist of the episode when Kate comes back home is totally intriguing. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): Not Available

Note: On 14 April 2013, I saw this episode again on DVD.

- "Hi Mommy"

Author: gridoon2016
26 January 2009

- "Hi _____". It's the final line of "Eggtown", and it will send chills down your spine. And it is easily the best moment of this episode, which centers around Kate, already one of the established "Oceanic Six": after her (ill-advised?) return to civilization, she has to face trial for the crimes she had committed before the plane crash. Other intriguing parts of the episode: in the "present", the first meeting of Miles and Ben, and the mysterious disappearance of the helicopter carrying Frank, Desmond and Sayid. And in the "future", Jack's testimony in court: it is strongly suggested that the "Oceanic Six" were the ONLY people who managed to return from the island. But perhaps they were simply the only people whose return became widely known. The circumstances still remain unclear. But essentially "Eggtown" is a 40-minute build-up to that final line, and the line is worth it. *** out of 4.

disappointing to say the least

Author: newguy85 from United States
19 March 2010

I'm a first time Lost watcher, and I caught this little lump of coal last night (right before Constant, which was A-MAZING).

I have to say I really don't care for Kate, so I may be biased, but her looking to Miles for an answer about what the people on the boat know was stupid; of course everyone on the boat knows everything about the 815 survivors, that part wasn't surprising. Her flash forwards were just as awful; yes she's a celebrity and there's a chance she would get off, but the mom trying to trade seeing her grandson for no longer being a witness then needing to go to the hospital the night before the trial? Stupid. Getting a deal for time-served and 10 years probation after a laundry list of charges? Stupid.

Almost as much as I hate Kate, I hate the love story between her and Jack. I know he needs to fix things, but it appears to me that it's a fascination rather than anything genuine; him and Juliet are more believable, and I would rather see that. Also, her messing around with Sawyer is stupid too, and has turned Sawyer from an interesting character into nothing more than a plot device for Kate stories.

The whole deal with Miles wanting money for Ben is stupid, and maybe there's a revelation for the $3.2 million, but I don't really care; I thought Miles was going to be as interesting as Faraday, but I've been disappointed so far. Also, don't get me started on Locke- his obsession with the island and lack of a plan has become annoying, and kicking people out of his group the second they try and speak to him is... stupid.

So far in season 4 the only survivors I care about are the ones on the beach, and I'm glad that "Constant" followed this episode; it was like night and day.

The most embarrassing episode ever in Lost .

Author: borimor from Israel
8 April 2008

The season 4 of Lost start good until this episode. Everything in this episode from the start to the end , full of bad writing. in this episode we see a flash forward of Kate , Kate goes to trial where the only witness is her mother. I Don't ask from the writer write a episode like Law & Order style , but the trail was so embarrassing that it's looks like a bunch of children playing in fake trail. in the island the things don't going better Kate try to find from Miles what they know about her ,Locke getting little crazy ,the part of Kate and Sawyer looks like really bad soap opera and the end don't make it better.

apparently the worst episode ever in Lost.