"Battlestar Galactica: Daybreak: Part 2 & 3 (#4.20)"

"Battlestar Galactica" Daybreak: Part 2 & 3 (2009)

« Prev | 73 of 73 Episodes

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A superb way to end the series

Author: ian1000 from United Kingdom
22 March 2009

Briefly then, and without spoilers:- For some days before viewing the final part of Battlestar Galactica I speculated privately as to the fate of the major characters and although I partially guessed the ending, nothing could have prepared me for the manner in which it was presented.

My greatest fear after five years of meticulous viewing, DVD collecting and thorough enjoyment was that the producers would end BSG in a manner similar to "The Sopranos". No! I don't want to be allowed to make up my own mind - I want to be told exactly what happens in black and white and a large font please.

Relax; all of the important loose ends are tied, and all of the big questions are answered, although it does leave room for some viewer interpretation on a couple of points, but the key factors are that we now know what happens to the Colonials, to the Cylons and to the major characters within those groups.

Watch end enjoy the end of a five year thrilling ride.

Ron Moore goes all the way

Author: ghpilato from United States
21 March 2009

You cannot fault this finale much at all for style. The music, the action, the boldness all ring true to a stunning final movie. But this is about wrapping up plots too. And I can sure tell you right now that some people will be very upset at the plot finales. Without spoiling anyone, it's all about the particular answers that are given to some of the long-term questions of the series. While never anything but completely bold and amazing, like the climax of "Raiders of the Lost Ark", this is an ending that is all about never holding back. The totality of the many, many plot threads is indeed tied in a very interesting final knot on a very large tapestry, that ends up really making quite the final statement about life, the universe, and everything. God, miracles, determinism, human frailty, the status of the human condition right now on Earth -- these are the subjects of the final themes and the final significance and epic closing of this 5-year story. I'm sorry I'm being so vague, but I wouldn't dare spoil anyone yet.

So bold. So definitive. So epic. So human and so satisfying.

Is this the best moment for the series? The best? No. Just the end. The show is full of peaks with different sorts of drama peaking at each one. The journey's the thing. And it really depends on one's personal favorite character and favorite arc. So much has changed and so much has been so steady since the beginning, it is very difficult to pin down any one part and hail it the most. Certainly, this end is one of the stand outs, though.

A few other favorite episodes of yours truly would be: "33", the first episode of the first season, post-miniseries, when the dramatic intensity couldn't be pitched any higher, and yet every character still made huge strides towards the long haul, setting up an incredible epic perfectly after the marvelous reimagination and efforts of the miniseries; the episode "Six Degrees of Separation" from the first season, as funny and sexy as it gets, with a masterful psychological twist on Dr. Gaius Baltar's predicament as principal human genius/accessory to genocide; "Kobol's Last Gleaming", the two-parter finale to the first season, as epic and suspenseful as television has ever been in any form, with massive twists and an unbelievable cliffhanger; "Home part two", a mini-finale of sorts, the end to the first act of a three act story (presented in four seasons), the episode where everything that matters is supremely satisfyingly dealt with and made ready to move on to more, pointing the epic onward as much as every individual character's plots; "Occupation/Precipice", the two-parter that opened the third season, the tough-as-nails allegory of occupation tied tightly to the situation in Baghdad at present, masterful and mesmerizing; "Sometimes a Great Notion", perhaps the darkest episode of the series, where the floor falls out from before, all hopes left behind after the massive revelations of the previous episode, and also the most dramatically potent and stunning of moments, perhaps, in the series, as major epiphanies are all dwarfed by the overwhelming loss of hope.

This is a finale that satisfies all that has gone before. This series will be remembered for generations.

Great ending for a great series

Author: sjensen-4 from Denmark
22 March 2009

Finally a series could be ended in the correct way. Usually series just goes on and on until they are canceled by some suit.

But not BSG. BSG ended on its own terms.

BSG was a great series and it ended in a great way which blew me away. It ended in more of a theist way than the more more atheist approach of the 1978-version: but not done in a preachy way.

Most ends were tighed and most questions were answered. And that is what i like. We do not have to be told everything. We can second guess for over selves.

Ronald Moore did not go towards the "ancient astronaut"-ending, like in the original 1978-BSG. And first i was disappointed. But now that the final episode has settled in my mind i rejoice and am glad. The 70ties were another time - today we need different answer to the fundamental question: Why? And the series finale episode did give a good answer to why.

It was a good ending for the series. And i know i am going to see the episode over and over again and again. Just like when the season finale of season 3 came (that fracking song).

Overall i really liked the series (just not all that suicide-bombing glorifying of start season 3 and all the other left wing political references to the Iraq war).

It was a more or less decent and good show. I liked it. And i loved the final episode. Now what do i do?

No loss is ever forgotten - but some are forgiven and some are learned from

Author: pmartin13-1 from United States
29 March 2009

Life needs a purpose. People need to know their purpose or they are bitter and confused. Ronald Moore, et al, transcended the typical idealized "human" purposes of "we need to struggle" and "we need to explore" to get use back to "each individual needs to find our use to others." I didn't expect all of the back-story, but I am so glad it was done. It helped me understand many of the characters much better as their journey ended. I struggled with liking Laura Roslin after the exodus from New Caprica. The finale helped me appreciate that her coldness stemmed from much more than her cancer. It helped me reconnect with that character before she passed. BSG is one sci-fi series that I recommend to sci-fi haters, because like the best dramas and tragedies struggles with every aspect of existing as human beings (not just abstract humanity). The story arc needed to go to old-Earth so the characters could understand that humans (or cylons) create technology faster than they can mature to use it. (Think of the War to End All Wars-WWI-for instance.) It takes a lot to get to the point where you want a "clean slate." But one you get there, you really are willing to do anything to keep the slate clean. BEAUTIFUL.

Not What I expected

Author: k-sheldrake from United Kingdom
30 March 2009

After all the sheer misery and disappointments the characters face throughout the miniseries and 4 seasons, I expected a depressing, downbeat ending that would inevitably kill-off most of the principal characters. The optimism that came with the final episode was surprising, and gave an opportunity for characters to reach a satisfying arc - Baltar finally redeeming himself, Tigh finally finding peace and so on. I'd already guessed that Starbuck was an angel (being killed then subsequently resurrected and the angle-wing tattoo on her arm being obvious giveaways), though it somehow felt "right" given the show's heavily religious themes (God, resurrection and so forth). Some people seem to need clarification on this matter, though the ambiguity is fitting with the "heavy" sci-fi of, say Arthur C. Clarke, Dan Simmons etc. If we assume that a sub-plot which explains the "higher power" at work in the story would take many more (probably tedious) mystery-robbing episodes, such arguments seem pointless. After all, when we found out that Neo was "The One" in The Matrix, the explanation given was too clinical and a little silly - best to leave these things to the imagination. The red-herring that the mid-season Earth was in-fact not OUR Earth was clever, and like all good twists, laughably obvious in retrospect. The colonists' decisions upon arriving on the planet to abandon technology give an intriguing argument for the positive influence a lack of technology can have. Ultimately, the weighty themes, moral complexity and huge plotting of the entire Galactica remake is bound to cause disagreements, since we all have a version of how it SHOULD end. It certainly took me by surprise... and I LOVED it.

Wow, Just Wow

Author: bobjohnson994 from United States
21 March 2009

Never been a first commenter before.

You will have to wait for another commenter to describe all the nuance of this ep, I will just point out some few things from memory.

Similarly to Lord of the Rings, we are SO invested in these characters that we get a long goodbye, and we NEED it.

It struck me that they were never going to be able to explain "imaginary" 6, and Starbuck surviving the crash, but I think they do a good job.

My interpretation is that the imaginary Starbuck, 6, and Baltar, are servants of an incredible alien intelligence, one that kick starts the cycle of life again every million years or so. You will recall that Baltar, at the end of the ep says about God - "it doesn't like to be called that". This implies to me that the alien power knows it is not omnipotent, just powerful enough to create these avatars, and even create a perfect replica of ancient earth a million light years away from the original. I think Ron Moore has read the Hyperion series.

The only part that did not feel quite right, even though I understand it somewhat, is Adama is choosing to leave the group behind and just live or die by himself with Laura Roslyn's corpse, out there in the middle of nowhere. The eps clearly implies to me that Adama is just going to sit on that hill until he dies, unwilling to go on without his lady love. I suppose it would have been anti-climactic to have him just be the leader of the new ragtag group of humans, after all he has been through, he is too much of a mythic figure to go out with a whimper.

Good on ya Ron Moore, you are a genius, and nice with the cameo at the end of the ep. This story wrapped up the way he envisioned it. The skill to wrap up all these threads in good if not perfect fashion, would be beyond the scope of 99% of writers.

Skates right to edge of Excess, but does not fall in...

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
4 April 2015

I have reviewed many individual episodes and I am guessing that if any reader is interested in this review of the climax, the finale, said reader has already slogged through the series.

And what a series.

As I said before, in the TV Hall of Fame (not a real place, I am using Poetic License) there is Buffy, there is Angel, there is Ed Sullivan, there an embarrassed-looking Bob Barker, and there is BSG.

There are many ways to exit a milestone series. For the record, Buffy ended with an epic battle and viewers were told she went off for a world tour. Angel ended with an epic battle too. Viewers were not told what happened, but trust me he got another series and went on with his career.

Ron Moore does not do things half-way. After closing down the main arc, he found his inner Star Trek 1 director hat and went Old School for the last 20 minutes.

Some will love the nuances. Some won't. But the sincerity is palpable.

PS -- after this, the producers did THE PLAN. Avoid it.

A thoughtful and considered ending to an amazing series.

Author: lhawker-2 from New Zealand
7 October 2009

**************************** SPOILERS ****************************

Wow! I've avoided watching the series on TV so I could watch the whole of season 4 on DVD, it didn't disappoint! I loved the 'Lord of the Rings' style ending, I was scared that the show would end without addressing each character and couple in turn. We've invested a lot of emotions in the characters so getting to see characters conclusion was great.

I think I'll still need to watch season 4 again as the red-herring Earth confused me along with the Cylon population that died on it. Some thing to do with the cycle of war repeating. I also found the REAL Earth confusing, were those Humans? As it said in the ending, "Who'd have guessed that humans had evolved independently...." (I think), so when did Man make the Cylons? Need to watch again or read other posts.

The mid season cliff hanger blew my mind! was that really the ruins of the Brooklyn Bridge, but obviously not, having just seen part 2. That was far better than the moment when the "Statue of Liberty" was discovered in the film 'Planet of the Apes'.

I was sad to see that Lee and Kara didn't settle down; I knew a girl like Kara and it ended similarly *sniff*, but I guess it was fitting that she vanished (as she was an angel - which fitted with what the Cylon husband said before they sent BSG into the sun, "See you on the other side").

Another poster said that Admiral Adarma sat on the rocks and waited to die because he couldn't go on with out Laura. The way the story ended, I imagined that they all kept in touch as the new civilisation grew and Cylon and human bloodlines blended........ yes BSG is set in our universe, thousands of years ago! amazing! The last twist in the last five minutes was cool. It featured Gaius and Caprica in OUR present day talking about what happened all those thousands of years ago..... but then it hit me, it wasn't Gaius and Caprica... it was the Angel's Gaius and Caprica (the ones that appeared to the mortal Gaius and semi-mortal Caprica throughout the series). It showed them walking through Times Square and you could see hi-tech robots being shown on TV! the twist, will it happen all again!?! will John cavil come back. Did the Centurions find happiness? another series (not Caprica) to wrap up some loose ends, or we can just imagine what could happen...

I'd wished the Jimi Hendrix song had continued long into the credits. It would have affirmed that the series had finished in our universe.

This is Science fiction at its best. Nothing comes close.

The age old question has finally been answered ........

Author: jmmjg from United States
27 March 2009

In the forgettable film Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Captain Kirk posed the immortal question "What does God need with a starship?" For nearly 20 years, that question went unanswered .... until now.

Ronald D. Moore, a former Star Trek writer, finally answered that question.

The Question: What does God need with a starship? The answer: To give to Kara Thrace.

****Note: I cannot take credit for this. I would like to thank my friend Chris G. for bringing this to our attention****

On a serious note, Ronald D. Moore deserves a lot of credit for resurrecting ( no pun intended ) a short lived '70s series into one the greatest science fiction series of all time. Kudos for a fantastic finale. I am sure there are other fans out there who feel the same way I do ... it's going to feel weird not seeing a new BSG episode Fridays @ 10pm on the sci/fi channel and talking about it with their friends and co-workers on Monday.

What SciFi would be like if it was written by the Amish

Author: Timbo from Australia
19 April 2009

Did I step in something or is that bad smell coming from Daybreak 1 + 2? God was behind everything? What has God got to do with Sci-Fi? God is only the answer when you can't think up a sensible explanation for something. In fact, this is exactly the problem with the series finale - they obviously couldn't think up sensible explanations for the multitude of big questions that were raised throughout the series such as how Kara Thrace come back from the dead in a brand new viper, how her old viper and charred body ended up on Earth 2, why Baltar has an imaginary 6 in his head, why 6 has an imaginary Baltar in her head, etc. so they explain it with "angels" or just don't explain it at all.

The plot of the last 2 episodes had holes big enough to fly a Basestar through. For example, why does Galactica and its crew go on a suicide mission to rescue one girl (Hera), particularly after Adama said there was no way he'd attempt a rescue? Because they found out the location of the Cylon base? That's not a good reason to sacrifice the crew's lives. And how did Anders know the location? And what was the point of the flashbacks to the major characters' lives before the war? It's like they forgot to do it earlier so they threw something in at the last moment.

The people who wrote the last two episodes could not have been the same writers who created what has been so far a sensational series. Feels like the script writing was take over by evangelical Christians on a mission to spread 'The Word'. Forget trying to tie up the loose ends in the plot, the important message the writers wanted to get across is: don't put your faith in technology as it will lead to your destruction; God is your ultimate salvation (tough luck if you have an illness that needs medical treatment).

Imagine in the final movie of the Star Wars series they tell you there is no "force"... instead, a Jedi actually gets his power from Jesus. Then they fly their spaceships into the nearest star and go live in the forest with the Ewoks. Would this be a good ending? No it frakken' wouldn't.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]