Dou fo sin (2007) Poster

(2007)

33 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Modern kung fu done right
Heislegend20 August 2007
If you're like me, after watching roughly 3 billion similarly themed period piece kung fu and wuxia movies, you're relieved when a contemporary kung fu flick comes along. This seems to be Donnie Yen's bread and butter. Sure, he was excellent in Hero opposite Jet Li and even Circus Kids was entertaining, but his performances in those films just don't match up to SPL or this film, Flash Point. He seems made for modern kung fu.

I'll leave plot explanation to others as it's a pretty standard cop-on-the-edge film that seems to have been done to death by Hong Kong over the past 15 years or so. What sets this apart is Yen's phenomenal and somewhat unique brand of kung fu and, for the first time (to my knowledge) his surprisingly good jiu jitsu. The flashy kicks and punches are standard Yen affair, but it's a bit of a shock to watch him pull off a slick arm bar, arm triangle, or leg triangle.

Yen's performance is only strengthened by a very talented supporting cast. There's no push-over fights here...it's like everyone is really fighting for their lives. That alone should be enough to get you past a fairly overdone plot (it's not bad, but if you've seen it once you've seen it 1,000 times). It's definitely worth the 85 minutes of your time if you're even remotely a fan of the genre.
42 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Nutshell Review: Flashpoint
DICK STEEL29 July 2007
In his black leather jacket and oozing plenty of charisma, Donnie Yen's Inspector Ma Jun quite resembled his other character in SPL, which was also directed by Wilson Yip, because at one point Flashpoint was supposed to be an SPL sequel. But in any case, the character is slightly tweaked. Early in the movie, Ma Jun tells it straight to the camera that as a cop, his job is to apprehend criminals, and it's as simple as that. And the trailers would have you believe here's a man who's lightning quick with his punches, throws and kicks.

However, you've got to wait until the hour mark for all that. For action junkies, your patience is severely tested, but the wait is well worth every minute you're put on hold. I've caught the trailer at this year's Hong Kong Filmart, and it was one that had action and more action, with nary a line of dialogue. But in the movie, much time is devoted to attempts in building characterization, until the story realizes it better give what the audiences are here for, to see Donnie Yen kick ass.

Having teamed with Wilson Yip in earlier action productions like SPL and Dragon Tiger Gate, Donnie Yen returns as action choreographer for Flashpoint, and the cast adopts the fighting style called MMA - Mixed Martial Arts, which is something of a blend of various martial arts techniques, that audiences probably haven't seen before stylistically in close combat scenes. Flashpoint boasts some incredible action sequences with explosive hard hitting fight combinations, and the sole complaint I have is I can't get enough of it! What more, as learnt from SPL having real martial arts exponents like Sammo Hung and Wu Jing fighting opposite himself, it made the sequences look more authentic, and the pace at which they can go at each other much more frantic. Collin Chou (Seraph from the Matrix movies) stars as one of the chief baddies, and watching the two awesome gladiators duke it out is nothing short of edge of your seat material - you'll feel their pain!

But as I mentioned, you'll have to be patient during the story's buildup. Writer Szeto Kam Yuen (SPL, Exiled, Dog Eat Dog) weaves in yet another undercover story into Flashpoint, with Louis Koo's Wilson as the mole within a gang of Vietnamese brothers Ja Ge (Ray Lui, in an over the top impersonation of Tony Leung's Big D in Johnny To's Election), Tony (Collin Chou) and Tiger (Xing Yu). A simple romance tale is worked into for Wilson with Fan Bing Bing as love interest Julie, but as expected, action movies seldom have much time devoted for love scenes.

Without a doubt, Ma Jun as a character overshadows them all with his motivations and drive. His temper is as quick as his reflexes, and he doesn't tolerate bull from the top brass, which resulted in rather muted (or negligible) action for about three quarters of the movie because his behavior is reined in by order. And there is a scene though which will make you question his excessiveness, and wonder if his doggedness in pursuit and apprehension actually clouds his ethical and moral judgment.

Flashpoint is still an awesome action movie when the time came for it to deliver the goods, highlighting that Hong Kong action films still have what it takes to innovate within the genre. Oh, and stay tuned during the end credit roll for scenes of outtakes, which shows plenty of training that the cast had to undergo to perfect their MMA techniques. Sure packs quite a punch in this compact 90 minute movie.
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Action
kosmasp24 February 2008
If you're an avid Donnie Yen fan, than no one has to sell this movie to you. If you like Asian action movies in general, than you'll be watching this too. What about the others, who are not that familiar with those types of movies? There's not that much back-story to hinder the action too much, neither are there real character developments, this shouldn't be a problem with you (if it is, don't watch the movie)

What should be considered, is the action, that is spot on here. Mixing many styles, Donnie Yen has created some extraordinary fight scenes for this movie. And although I'm for a little bit more character and story driven movies, I liked this one, because it was straight forward. And the action holds up to the promise it gives you ... That's all I can say, now it's up to you, to decide whether you want to watch it or not
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Surprising good HK action
Ulf9 October 2007
to keep it short, i was highly surprised from it's great entertainment value.

the plot is hollow (good cops vs bad guys) but the good cast, camera work and fight scenes are over the top. speaking of the fight scenes, very impressive style from Donnie Yen (with age 44) and also the bad guys hand out some damage before they go down.

the first movie half is slow, but the ending will round it up. this action flick was nice done by the film crew, they put some work & love in it, something you miss in many HK movies nowadays.

(don't miss the end credits :)
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
nice..
hamiltonau20 August 2007
This was a real surprise as on a rainy day in the only Chinese cinema left in Sydney, to think i only went into Market city for some yum cha and got a whole lot more than i bargained for.

A fantastic roller-coaster ride of a film, OK so the long slow ride up to the top end of it can be daunting for those with ADD or a high blood sugar level but its sure worth it once you get there. Intense satisfying action shot from every possible angle yet still filled with a spontaneous verite energy unmatched by any Hollywood film i have seen..ever.

Its innovative style while a bit light on plot or dialogue (OK so i am stuck with subtitles which obviously lose something in the translation) overcomes any accusations of pretentiousness that could be leveled at a lot of similar films. The raw energy of the film leaks into every scene however still and explodes onto the screen when the action finally ramps up. Considering the violent nature of the film a lot of the actual killing is suggested rather than replayed in Technicolor from umpteen angles, but we still experience every kick and punch as if it were flying our way.

OK admittedly the story is about as engrossing as 300 or a lot of other HK cop films, IE runs at a primal level deeper than mere plot twists or any complicated subtext. No, its all about the man versus what he sees as injustice and occasionally about a friendship. Mostly though its about the battle for whats right even if thats not quite clear sometimes, by the end you know who the good guys are and as manipulated as you might feel you are rooting for them all the way.

OK I'm running out of superlatives and metaphors now..just go out and watch it if you like a good old school popcorn bash and can handle some underplayed buddy semantics.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My take on "Flash Point"
wanderingstar11 November 2007
Being a fan of Donnie Yen I eagerly anticipated "Flash Point". There was good and bad in it... first the good: The fight scenes are pretty awesome - in particular there is one which takes place at a driving range that lives up to what I was expecting. The introduction of grappling techniques (paying homage to MMA) is pretty cool. Cinematography & scenes of HK are at some times very stylish.

Now the bad: Kind of moves slow in the first half. In fact after the initial 5 minutes of action the next 20 minutes drags. The plot is not that great, and in the first half of the movie the action isn't enough to make up for this.

All in all, I've been a little disappointed with Donnie Yen's last two - this one and Dragon Tiger Gate. Neither raises the bar or comes close to the amazing SPL of 2005.
18 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome martial arts action
Joe Harman2 April 2008
Flashpoint features some of the most intense and bone crunching action ever filmed. Here Donnie Yen shows us why he is the king of martial arts action films.

The camera-work is spot on and captures the intensity and struggle of the combat with the close up shots, whilst letting us see the incredible display of martial arts fighting with the longer shots. The fight scenes are spectacular yet remain convincing and realistic. The shoot outs in this film are also brilliant, much better than I expected in fact. Anyone who appreciates the John Woo style gun-play shouldn't be disappointed.

As with most martial arts films the plot is pretty predictable and straight forward. The film could have also done with a few more fight scenes as the story wasn't particularly captivating.

In short this film is a lot like Kill Zone, however I think Donnie Yen has continued to push the boundaries and has outdone himself in the action department with this one. Whilst Killzone remains a better all round film, Flash point is equally as good in its own right.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best films to come out in a long time
diggler_inc13 October 2008
Flashpoint is a beautifully shot film that moves a long at a fast pace. I was never much of a Donnie Yen fan but I have been converted to one after seeing this film. Hollywood needs to bring him back, at least as an action choreographer. The action scenes in this film are far more sophisticated than anything Hollywood is doing.

Wilson Yip did an amazing job as director. It's a shame this didn't get a U.S. theatrical release. If Hollywood is smart, they will recruit him.

Bingbing Fan is a beauty that should also be brought to Hollywood.

Flashpoint doesn't break new ground in terms of it being a typical cops and gangsters flick, but it is as good as any of them.

The fights are excellent and realistic.

Flashpoint is highly recommended for HK movie fans.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Donnie Yen versus Colin Chou
chrichtonsworld21 August 2007
Forget about the plot! While it is not bad it is only present to set the mood! It does take up a whole hour however! So you have to endure it! But believe me it will be worth the wait! When the real action begins you will be in for a treat! Intense Donnie Yen displaying his wonderful mix of Wushu and Jujitsu! His use of martial arts in this movie does make sense! It is realistic and practical! It is called mixed martial arts! ( read interview with Donnie Yen,use Google: article Donnie Yen on flash point combat.) This new type of martial arts offers different and refreshing possibilities to the genre! And it looks great on the screen! If it didn't (no matter how practical) I would not accept this style! The final fight between Donnie and Colin is what the fight between Sammo Hung and Donnie should have been in "SPL"! This shows that Donnie is always learning and wanting to improve himself! I can't even imagine what Donnie's next movie "Painted Skin" again directed by Wilson Yip would be like ! This golden duo should keep on making movies together! In comparison to previous movies ("SPL" and "Dragon Tiger Gate" made by Wilson Yip and Donnie) "Flashpoint" is the best of the bunch!
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
B-action film as art
dbborroughs27 April 2008
Donnie Yen and Wilson Yip re-team (previously they did SPL) for a a rip roaring police actioner. The plot has cop Donnie Yen trying to take down three Vietnamese gangster brothers who are not above doing really nasty things to get their way. Funny, thrilling, with great action and a visual sense that lifts everything up from the routine. Don't get me wrong this is a a pure macho action film that would be a B movie that you've seen a dozen times before under normal circumstances, but there is something about the film that makes it all seem new or if not new, it will make it so you don't care that you have. I think the film knows its nothing special but goes for it anyway and so becomes the little film that could.

Forgive me I feel like I should say more but I really can't think of anything other than just see this movie. Its one of the very few films that have come out of Hong Kong with a good reputation that lives up to it. If I have to say anything else its that I wanted to stop the film to watch it at a later time with my Dad, but found that I couldn't do so, I just wanted to keep watching.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this