IMDb > Dear John (2010/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dear John

Dear John More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A lovely story with great characters

Author: misskirsty from Australia
5 March 2010

Not having read anything about the film (or book) beforehand, I went into the cinema with no expectations, (though I was worried it might be a soppy, pull-at-the-heartstrings epic like The Notebook).

This wasn't the case. There were so many times when I thought 'Oh, I hope this doesn't happen', or 'I hope they don't do what I think they're going to do', and they didn't. There are moments of sadness, but some of them could have been made a lot worse.

The story isn't unique, (neither is The Notebook) but it is executed in a way that makes you feel as though you're watching something new. Channing Tatum is the lovable beefcake reminiscent of Marky Mark, and Amanda Seyfried is cute, delivering well executed dialogue. And I did actually think they had good chemistry, despite what other reviewers have said. Channing's John is an army boy who had a lot of issues growing up, so you can't expect him to be overly forthcoming with his emotions.

Richard Jenkins gives a great performance as the father, and even Henry Thomas is likable as the neighbour (I must be the only person in the world who hasn't seen E.T. so I didn't recognize the name at first).

To me, this was acted out a lot better (and even structured better) than Twilight: New Moon, which I assume is meant to appeal to the same audience. I know to some that isn't saying much, but perhaps our expectations are a bit high these days. If you want to see a sweet love story with likable characters, then you might just enjoy this film.

Don't read the book if you want to see and/or like this movie...

Author: hanin84 from Canada
6 February 2010

I'll try to make this short and sweet, like the two weeks the two characters spent together before all hell broke loose:

If you read the book, lower your expectations. If you haven't read the book,...well, you can raise your expectations just a bit higher.

I was one of those girls who squealed every time they saw a TV spot, or watched the trailer on YouTube a million times. I bawled my eyes out when I read the book- both times I read it. Last night, I went to see the movie knowing full well that it wasn't going to live up to the book. Unfortunately, I was right.

What made 'Dear John' different from all the other love stories we've read and seen was taken away in the movie. I don't know how I would have understood what was going on in the movie if I hadn't read the book. Scenes were rushed (especially the two weeks where the two main characters fall in love), and characters weren't well developed at all. Heck, one of the main characters barely resembles (both appearance- and personality-wise) the character in the book. *cough*Savannah Lynn Curtis*cough*.

That said, there were a couple of scenes where the dialogue was sweet and funny. I also enjoyed the music, but that may be because I'm a huge fan of acoustic. Also, the scenery was absolutely beautiful. Not to mention Channing Tatum's body (pretty much the only thing worth my money).

As far as acting goes, Channing Tatum was the stronger one in this film. While I'm still personally neutral about my opinion on Amanda Seyfried, I found she's done better. She may be better off with comedy or musicals. And Richard Jenkins was lovable, as always.

If you've read the book, don't expect anything similar to it. I can't point out a single scene that even resembled that of the book. Part II of the book, especially, was almost non-existent. You will definitely be able to pick out the noticeable differences between the book and the film. Hopefully, you won't be TOO disappointed.

But like I said, you're more likely to enjoy the film if you haven't read the book.

A True Pearl.

Author: The_Fifth_Echo from United States
30 January 2010

I saw "Dear John" at a special screening and I wasn't expecting much. I thought it was going to be a decent romance film. I hoped this movie came halfway as good as "The Notebook". My very low expectations of this film were pretty cynical. But I said Hey, what could happen? And when the movie finished, I was fulfilled. I didn't think it was going to be one of the best romance movies ever and it definitely wasn't. This movie is definitely for couples. The girls will like it cause they can connect with it.I recommend for everyone to see this film. It is touching, okay acting, and it does stick to the book. This film doesn't come close to the "Notebook", but people will like it no matter what. So if you want to buy a sad, romantic film. Then I'd recommend this film.

7/10 A Pearl

Disappointing and not what I expected.

Author: xodramaQueen
6 February 2010

I was really looking forward to watching this movie - although, my expectations were not very high - but it turned out to be worse than I expected. I knew Channing Tatum was not the greatest actor - although, he is gorgeous - so I wasn't expecting very good acting. It was decent but I just didn't feel the chemistry between the two actors. The "twist" which I won't mention was where I thought the movie went completely downhill. It was very poorly executed and if you've seen the movie, you'll probably agree. Throughout, the movie was very slow- moving and not very exciting but there were a couple emotional parts! So far, the only people I've asked that did like the movie, seem to be the younger ones (12-15).

This movie is definitely NOT comparable to "The Notebook" like some people have been saying. It was nothing special, so I wouldn't watch it again, but I'd say it's good for a chick flick night. Another one of those movies like that looked SO much better on the commercials.

Disappointing Soap-Opera

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
20 September 2010

In the spring of 2001, the Sergeant of the Special Forces John Tyree (Channing Tatum) meets the medical student Savannah Curtis (Amanda Seyfried) while surfing in Charleston during his leave and they immediately fall in love for each other. They spend a couple of weeks together and Savannah meets John's autistic father Mr. Tyree (Richard Jenkins) and John befriends her friend Tim Wheddon (Henry Thomas). When the enlistment period of John and his platoon ends, there are the attacks on the World Trade Center and John and the other soldiers decide to reenlist for two more years. John corresponds with Savannah until she stops writing and two months later, Savannah tells that she will get married.

I had great expectations with "Dear John", based on the previous works of the Swedish director Lasse Hallström. The beginning is nice, with Amanda Seyfried and Channing Tatum showing great chemistry in a pleasant romance. The reenlistment of John Tyree is acceptable based on a troubled moment of his country. However, the attitude of Savannah getting married with an older guy without any motive is inconsistent with her conservative profile and incoherent with the whole plot, and destroys the so far good romance, turning into a silly and disappointing soap opera. The terrible commercial last scene is corny and awful. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil):"Querido John" ("Dear John")

Not bad

Author: nicki9112 from United States
29 May 2010

Wow...I was expecting this movie to be awful after all of the bad reviews I've read. Nothing is wrong with this movie! Nothing is wrong with the acting. It's actually a pretty good movie. I am not usually one for romantic movies...usually because I find them to be lame. There are definitely moments in this one that tug at your heart and get you teary eyed.

I really felt for John in this movie. His character had a tough life... and the relationship between him and his father...It made me really sad! That Nicholas Sparks! He knows how to stir up emotions...

I have not read the book, so I can't compare the two but I say the movie is worth watching.

I absolutely hated this film.

Author: vampirekittieprincess from Maryland, Usa
10 September 2010

I'm not much of a critic but this film makes me dislike it so much with a passion. Not only was it not all that exciting and entertaining in the beginning and after in the first place, but when John finally got the letter from Savannah after waiting months (which was when I thought things were finally getting good) it turns out from then on ..nor John or Savannah try to get back in touch with each other after that. It turns out later on when he visits home to see his sick father on his death bed that she did go through with the marriage after all the feelings that were "supposedly" floating in the air and all around them. She didn't come to see his father while he was deathly ill, nor to comfort John for all the pain and mental suffering he's been going through with the war and now the only person that he really had all along is dying. And even after his father dies she didn't show up to the funeral. I mean my god.... it seemed where they lived was in a small area how COULD THINGS NOT SPREAD AROUND such things like someone dying? So that didn't even make sense. And then after all the bullshitting around they did when they finally spoke to each other after so long, she gives him a bullshit excuse as to why she dumped him in the first place, and even that didn't make much sense. She said she left him because Tim needed her, and so did his son...and she was lonely and not thinking... lol I'm sorry but if you really care and love someone and think about them every single freaking day then no way in hell can you go through that much torture successfully, unless you're emotionally messed up. She was being selfish and didn't know what she wanted, so let's just put it at that. So then, John takes his father's coin collection and sells it (ok ..good for him) but only to spend the money on Tim's expenses so he can have more time with Savannah lol ...that's about it as far the story itself goes ...we don't really know what happens between John and Savannah after that because the film was done poorly. I have never read the book and I'm sure as **** glad I didn't see Dear John in theatre's because I would of wasted my money.

Touching and wonderfully filmed with some believable acting

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
3 September 2010

I have to admit I wasn't expecting to like this film. I don't hate this type of film, but I had heard mixed feelings on Dear John, there were those who said it was touching and others who said it was too clichéd. Well after been blown away by The Notebook(book and movie), I saw Dear John. After seeing it, I don't think it is as good as The Notebook, but it was surprisingly good in my opinion. The characters are clichéd, and the beginning was a tad too fluffy for my liking, while there are some pacing issues. But while the book is better, having more depth and emotional punch, I was surprised at how touching Dear John actually was. The story is nice and believable enough, and there is some decent scripting. The direction is good too, while the cinematography and scenery are breathtaking and the score beautiful. Channing Tatum(my sister kept raving at how hot he was) and Amanda Seyfried are great and are believable together, while Richard Jenkins is heart breaking as Tatum's autistic father(I immediately sympathised with him as I have real problems with communicating with people and feeling comfortable around people and places I am not familiar with). I also liked the ending, it was ambiguous but also clever and subtle, and I think an improvement over the ending of the book(the book's only weak link). In conclusion, touching and well made, definitely worth a peek. 7/10 Bethany Cox

Heartbreaking consequences as a result of war

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
5 February 2010

(Synopsis) Special Forces Army Sergeant John Tyree (Channing Tatum) is home on a two-week leave from Germany. He meets Savannah (Amanda Seyfried) after he dives into the ocean to retrieve Savannah's purse that had fallen off the pier. John is smitten by Savannah and falls in love at first sight. Savannah is a college student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is on spring break and is helping build a house for Habitat for Humanity. John joins in with Savannah to help build the house. Along the way a budding romance occurs, and Savannah falls deeply in love with John. As she is about to go back to college, she promises to write John overseas during the next 12-months until he returns to her after completing his enlistment. Their love is put to the test when John reenlists after the 9/11 attack.

(My Comment) "Dear John" tells the story of what happens to young lovers when time and distance from each other begins to test their true love. Over the next several years, they write love letters to each other telling everything about themselves. As time goes by, Savannah finds another who needs her more than John, even though she still loves him. She writes John a final letter saying good-bye. This is one story that happened many times during WWII and is still happening to our current soldiers today. Our brave soldiers are sacrificing their lives and some of them come home to heartbreaking consequences as a result of the war. That is why this story seems so real to the audience. The movie will make you laugh, cry, smile, and relate to the characters. Women will like the movie, because they can stand in Savannah's shoes. Men will like it, because they know that it is better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all. The story is truly touching with all of life's ups and downs. Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried are very good in their roles, along with Richard Jenkins as John's father. (Screen Gems, Run Time 1:45, Rated PG-13) (6/10)

not gonna lie,..i cried

Author: kirahheffner from United States
31 May 2010

For starters, i'm not a big critic of movies. And sure, this one wasn't very complex, the characters weren't surprising and there was no big twist at the end--but i thought it was compelling. I had just seen Amanda Seyfried star in letters to Juliet, and was surprised at the contrast in her two characters..so that has to say at least SOMETHING positive about her. plus i just think she's cute and likable.

and who knows, maybe i'm just a sap, or i watched it at the wrong time of day, but i did cry. It's the classic tragic love story. the relationship that everyone wants but no one really ever gets. and things just keep falling apart. Everyone knew the dad was gonna die and Savannah was gonna move on from John while he was gone..but something about seeing channing tatum cry broke my heart and i sniffled the rest of the movie through.

i certainly don't think you should buy it. i probably wouldn't watch it again. ( i rented it on 99 cent Monday at my local movie store) but my time wasn't wasted at all. you just have to be a girl in the right mood :)

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]