IMDb > Like Stars on Earth (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Taare Zameen Par

Like Stars on Earth More at IMDbPro »Taare Zameen Par (original title)

Page 4 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

People did not left the movie hall before applauding...so was the brilliance of this movie.

Author: Rohit k.S (rohit200abc@yahoo.com) from India
25 December 2007

People were clapping, girls were crying with tears rolling down their cheeks, boys were spell bound and every child, every person in the hall seemed to be taken aback by the brilliance of this movie. This is a class act, a marvelous concept and direction to perfection makes this flick different from others, which is always the quality of an 'A' movie. It is the movie of a lifetime; sincerely I would say this is one of the best Hindi movies I have ever seen. It is not a roller coaster of emotions or just another emotional drama; this is the story of a child who was just left alone with his misery. Aamir comes to his help and becomes his only hope. Aamir is not the hero he comes in the second half, actually Darsheel Safari can be described in one word as "Outstanding".

This is a serious Oscar attempt. I am happy that this time if we nominate this, we have a movie which we will not be shy of sending for Oscars. Aamir once again proves that film making is not everyone's job. One class act, one nice movie is all I want from a year; I don't want a pile of crap. As it finished, people were not ready to go, they were still there, sitting and watching those credits rolling.

If you miss this, I have no words to tell you what you will miss. GO FOR IT.

Oscar Quality Movie

Author: himanshu_np2 from United States
28 December 2007

this movie is one of the best movie produced by Hindi Cinema. And i wish this one gets nominated for Oscar and wins the same. Best part about this movie is that somewhere in your life, you have faced each and every character of this movie. You can relate yourself to a child who has gone through sweet and bitter time of school age. Or you can relate yourself to parents who is trying their best to keep their children to get prepared for competitive world. This movie can remind you of all strict, result oriented school teachers whose punishments you can never forget. Personally i liked two best scenes in the movie: 1. When aamir khan finds out about the troubled boy at his parents home and trying to convince them to help this child. 2. When Aamir tells the story of Solemon island where people curse the trees to let them die. i recommend each and every individual to watch this movie at least once in their lifetime.

a master piece!!!

Author: hi_namrata from United States
28 December 2007

"Taare Zammen Par" is not just a movie, its a emotional journey into the life of an ordinary Indian child. This truly depicts the life of an average Indian household, its very true that a lot of stress is being paid on being on the top, ranking first in studies. Parents don't want to admit that their child needs help just because they don't want others(family, friends, neighbors...) to say anything. They feel as if such thing reflects on themselves: "How can my son/daughter be so and so". They ignore the needs of the child to maintain their false ego in front of others. This movie takes the viewer into a life an average person can relate to, nothing fantasy. Its a must see for the parents who believe their child is infallible. A wonderful movie!

I'm crying. This is a master piece.

Author: lucas_carvalhaes from Brazil
27 March 2014

Here is the deal this time. If you are sensible, you are gonna get crushed. This movie is deep in so many aspects of our society, and at the same time deals with everything in such a cute and delicate way, that one cannot watch this and feel nothing. The movie talks about a boy that has dyslexia and is miss interpreted by everything he cares about. It is touching at the same time it is critic. The entire history is permeated with subtle irony and heavy criticism about the contemporary way of doing things and solving problems. Talks about the objectification of persons in order the achieve our own personal goals... well, there is so much to this movie that I believe I just got lost here. Lets get to the point, this movie is just beautiful. Completely amazing. Who should watch? Everyone. I'm not going to talk about moods in this one since it is so important because of its contents... Just watch it.

not everyone will understand this

Author: vvaitkev
12 March 2013

The movie ideally reflects the situation in my family - my daughter is the best at school, I never even cared what she does over there, and my boy is just like this poor guy from the movie... Many parents wouldn't even believe such children exist. And I think movie doesn't touch those parents. I really believe Aamir experienced similar childhood, as he reflected that unbelievably comprehensively - I really see my son there. Really.

That's a healing movie. I recommend it to all parents and especially to Teachers. It also reminds me Pink Floyd's - just another brick in the wall - thats what school wants to make of each child.

Absolute masterpiece - 10/10

Aamir Khan delivers yet a satisfying film, which exceeds every expectation you will have

Author: rafidhoda from Norway
8 May 2008

Taare Zameen Par, which spells "Stars on Earth" in English is probably one of the most anticipated films of the year 2007 by Bollywood. It came out in December last year, and it got received with a blast, and director Aamir Khan was extremely happy with the final outcome. One of the factors which distinguishes TZP from other Indian movies, is that it is not based on the regular cliché of two individuals falling in love, but rather puts a real subject in the limelight. The story follows the nine-year-old protagonist called "Ishaan"(Darsheel Safary). Ishaan is a brisky young boy, with a wild imagination. He loves to admire nature, and enjoys painting with bright freshening colors. The one thing he hates the most is to sit down and do his homework. He never manages to write a word correctly and letters seem to dance in front of his eyes, whenever he attempts to read a sentence. This rare condition sets a barrier between Ishaan and education, and leads to frustration. Ishaan eventually tries to ignore his homework and school because of countless episodes of outbursts from teachers and his parents. His exam papers are a pity for the human eye and Ishaan's teachers say that there is no hope for him. Ishaan's father takes this personally and decides to send Ishaan to a boarding school.

Ishaan disagrees with his father of course, as he is not accustomed to living without his mother. Ishaan's mother falls in a dilemma, but ultimately decides that sending Ishaan to boarding school would be the wisest choice.

Things get even worse when Ishaan gets into boarding school. It is a strict school with discipline as their main principle. Ishaan is welcomed by strict teachers in every class, and receiving punishment from every teacher soon becomes a part of his daily routine. Ishaan eventually stops talking to anyone and usually meets everyone with a scared eye.

One day, a substitute teacher replaces Ishaan's regular arts teacher. Ram Shankar Nikumbh(Aamir Khan) is his name, and he makes a grand entrance with a song. He is well received among Ishaan's fellow students, but Ishaan is still upset with a sore face. Ram instructs his students to paint anything which comes to their mind using vivid colors. Every child paints whatever comes to their mind, with the exception of Ishaan, who usually loves to paint. Ram is a little worried for Ishaan, but he does not torture him with questions and lets him go. However, Ram's concern over Ishaan's behavior is intensified after several days of his reticence.

Ram tries further investigation and analyzes Ishaan's textbooks in all of his subjects. He discovers something unusual. It seems to him that Ishaan always misspells certain words and letters in a particular way. He has trouble identifying himself with different letters and their sound. Ram is stunned by seeing Ishaan's textbooks, and wants to investigate even further, and decides to visit Ishaan's family.

When Ram tries to explain that Ishaan has difficulties identifying himself with letters and words he is met with rude comments from Ishaan's father. Ishaan's father has always assumed that Ishaan was avoiding doing homework because of his laziness. After a dialog between Ram and Ishaan's father, Ram tries to convince him that Ishaan really has a disability. After his investigation, he concludes the problem as dyslexia. Of course, Ishaan's parent are not aware of this learning disability and are scared for their sons future. Ram responds to this comment by saying that nowadays all parents care about is how to make their sons and daughters toppers of their classes. How they can make them excel in every subject, even though they have to work day and night. Every child is special, and should be allowed to pursue their dreams.

When Ram begins his arts class back at school he begins by telling a story. A story about a boy, a boy who had difficulties during childhood. Letters and numbers seem to dance before his eyes and he never remembered that "y" comes after "x". After countless attempts he failed once at school and got dishearted. He decided to take the defeat as a man and continued working. After a time his mind brightened and his mind discovered a treasure. After telling the story, Ram asks his class which boy he is talking about. Ishaan's heart starts to beat much faster, as he is doubts that it is him, Ram is talking about. Ram shows a picture of Albert Einstein. Albert Einstein also had dyslexia, but he managed to overcome it and is considered one of the biggest scientists of human history. These encouraging words brightens Ishaan and he becomes really good friends with Ram. Ram goes to the principle of the school to discuss Ishaan's dyslexia. The principle is shocked at first, and then assembles the puzzles and sees the picture. He appreciates Ram's work with Ishaan and suggests to send Ishaan to a special school for children with disabilities. Ram disagrees to his suggestion and requests him to tell all the teachers to ignore his mistakes for a few weeks. In that period of time, Ram can work with Ishaan and improve his skills.

I think I have revealed more than necessary, but I will leave it here and let you watch the movie for yourself.

TZP is a film which combines emotions with real life situations and the outcome is mind- blowing. It delivers a great message and has opened eyes of millions of parents around the world. This film exceeded all of my high expectations and I came out satisfied after watching it. Darsheel Safary has done a great job as a child artist and his performance has earned him a handful of Indian awards. I really hope to see more of him. Aamir Khan is great as always as an actor, but has also done a excellent job as a director.

As the name suggests, A star in the film world

Author: kiranvakati from India
22 March 2008

When the movie is about to release, i saw the promos and thought the movie will be good for serious cine-goers who believe in quality cinema. But it proved me wrong when i saw the movie. Though Aamir Khan directed the movie, the script and dialogues belong to Amol Gupte. I would like to thank both Amol and Aamir, first the former for getting involved with the script so much and enlightening us and kudos to Aamir for bringing out stellar performances from almost all the artists. Most of them lived their character rather than acting in it.

Everybody knows Aamir always tries to bring best music in his movies which he act. So its no surprise that the music is great in the movie. Thanks to Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy and prasoon joshi for those amazing lyrics.

P.S: I donno Hindi, i watched the movie first in theatre without subtitles . This movie proved the saying "language is no barrier for good cinema". Later i watched so many times with subtitles. I love the lyrics of the songs.But how many ever times i watch my eyes fill with tears at the climax scene.

The best Aamir Khan movie since Lagaan!!

Author: the_crow007 from Australia
29 January 2008

Let me commence by saying that I rarely see Hindi movies for one main reason. And that is a majority of them are mainly 'love stories'. Love story between a boy and a girl (and vice versa). No matter how many twists and turns there may be, the essence of the film revolves around the boy and girl end up being together and loving each other and 'living happily ever after'.

But this movie is not the case and if you are into seeing Amir Khan love story films than you will be bitterly disappointed. Let me warn you right now that this movie will not be for you. This movie is for the Amir Khan fans who admire him for his versatile film types and also for movie critics who has to rate movies for the sake of rating them. By far this is the best film I have seen starring Amir Khan. For the record, I am not an Amir Khan fan.

It a movie that displays three human characteristics that is so prominent in our human society. They are: i) Not everyone is born equal with the same intelligence, cognitive and learning level; ii) How much of an a**hole and blind parents can be when they selfishly and eagerly want their children to achieve something that they (they as in the children) may not want to achieve because it is not in their heart; and iii) A child's imagination, wonders and thoughts is something that was in all of us when we were little but is lost as we are exposed to the corrupt elements of the world.

The character build up within the film was great. The main attraction of the film was Ishaan Awasthi played by Darsheel Safary. The film was well crafter and progressed at a pace that really made you realize what the world is and can be like from a child's point of view who has trouble reading, writing and understanding things of general. Darsheel Safary was brilliant as the leading character. The expression on his face said it all when he was being put down by his parents, neighbourhood kids and teachers. His performance really makes your mind and eyes open to issues that intellectually disabled kids face on a daily basis. It gave a view of the dangers people with disability/ies may face if they are not properly looked after to build up a base for them.

As mentioned above, not everyone is born equal. But given the chance, opportunity and support by people, then the person with disability can head towards the right direction and be successful in life in his/her own way and rights. And this is the most important element that this movie was able to show.

The key to success is not by how much money or materialistic things that you may have, but rather what you have achieved how you have achieved it. And this is something else the film displays. Ishan not only achieved the basic understanding of school literacy within his year level but achieved even greater success with something that came naturally to him. And that is his passion for art. His teacher played by Amir Kahn achieved success by bringing out this talent in his student and showing to his colleagues and Ishan's peers the great potential that he has inside of him.

On a personal note, its funny how as parents, most of them don't see the potential talents that their children have inside of them. To them if their children are not doctors, lawyers or engineers then they are nothing. That is dead wrong!! If you think about it, most of the successful people in the world were not straight A students at school but rather they struggled during their school years. Rupert Murdoch, John Major (former British Prime Minister), Sylvester Stallone and Richard Branson are just to name a few.

For those of you who are struggling or have struggled in school with homework, watch this movie as it may be an inspiration to you to pursue with what is inside your heart.

Wow!!!!

Author: aniket-ketkar from India
30 December 2007

Bollywood has always been deprived of such movies. Aamir Khan, a talented actor, ventures into directing a movie, a movie which is a bit different, and does it brilliantly. The movie starts with story of 8 year old, naughty kid, Ishan. Ishan has played a role of a boy who is very poor at studies. But his thought process is a bit different than others and his mind, very creative!! His parents are really worried about his future. Due to regular complaints about him from School, building etc his dad decides to send him to a boarding school. And this is where the movie takes a real turn. The story then takes us to the problems faced by the boy, his mental stress and then very emotional relationship between him and his arts teacher (Aamir). The flow of movie is just awesome. It is full of emotions. Though the movie is about a kid, it is meant to be watched by parents along with their children. I think this movie certainly deserves a spot in IMDb top 250. Also after so many years, a Bollywood movie has given hope for an Oscar.

A brilliant movie

Author: zaven1 from Australia
10 March 2008

The Film has done great justice for the Children not only in India but overall, All praise for Aamir Khan, his writer and the Actora and the whole crew.Unfortunately, for many in India Dylexia is a not so well know a symptom. But in western countries this has been taken care of. There are many who have this kind of a problems. There are many more problems that kids have which go unnoticed and hope through this media we would be educating people who are unaware and help those kids to seen a better future. The child artist has done great justice to the role. Aamir plays the role of a teacher with great in-depth The concept was always there but putting in into screenplay is excellent There is no greater satisfaction than seeing a child with confidence I hope many more issues relating to such topic is brought to light in India.