IMDb > Like Stars on Earth (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Taare Zameen Par

Like Stars on Earth More at IMDbPro »Taare Zameen Par (original title)

Page 1 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Some intelligent film-making there

Author: die_Heuchler from Katmandu, Nepal
21 December 2007

How many times has there been a movie you could really relate to? How many times has it happened that you've seen a character on the screen that reminds of something that you've been through in your life? As I saw Ishan (Darsheel Safary) today, I felt, somewhere deep within that that's me.

Notwithstanding the slight retard nature, dyslexia and bad academic performance, the character of Ishan really made me remember my childhood today. I remember I was something like him as a child.—creative and imaginative. And my imagination always went unappreciated. I used to curate gibberish – just like he did. I painted, I dreamed and I fantasized about different things. So I feel writer Amol Gupte and director Aamir Khan (what a wonderful debut!) have picked an incredibly moving story. Frankly, I am not easily moved by movies. Not even the greatest tearjerkers have managed to "move" me, but for a moment I was stunned. Is this really happening to me? Am I trying to cry? In fact, the scene where Ram (Aamir Khan) walks into Ishan's room and discovers a score of sketches and drawings, it made me feel like somebody had in fact, opened my closet and discovered my secret childhood fantasies (Believe me, I still have them.) This movie will surely engage all those who have had similar incidents in their lives. That's for sure. I am moved. I love this film. I don't know and I don't care how this film does in the box office but let me tell you don't watch this film if you're looking for regular boy meets girl story. Don't even skip this film thinking it's children's movie – no it isn't. In fact, Taare Zameen Par is a movie potentially targeted towards parents. But if you think you too have undergone similar childhood conflicts and lived a life where the people around you refuse to appreciate your fantasies, then definitely go for it. TZP mirrors many of those people's lives that looks just plain and simple but those who compromised their dreams for the sake of the earthly existence.

Okay, enough of fantasies. Technically, writer Amol Gupte delivers an A Grade script. Aamir Khan shows his talent not just as an actor but a very versatile and intelligent. Oscar Wilde, Leonardo da Vinci and Sally Gardner were hardly ever heard of in Hindi cinema before this. The writer just does not deliver a well written script but also his knowledge of research (which other filmmakers hardly ever do!) Musically, it's two-thumbs up for Shanker Ehsaan Loy. The title song is fascinating. Maa and Jame Raho combine talents in all respects- music, words and voice. The production design is superb. Not for a moment you feel anything is fake. They even managed to squeeze in some quick visual effects and animated scenes. They're there to add another dimension to great story telling. The casting is good and well justified. Little Darsheel steals the show. Tisca Chopra grabs attention.

Aamir Khan, however stuns the audience by appearing at almost near half of the film. That's the surprise but you don't miss Aamir in the first half because Darsheel will definitely grab your attention and Aamir gets to show some good directorial talent.

All in all, I'd say go and watch the film. I wouldn't recommend if you're addicted to Yashraj stuffs but if you really want to see some intelligent film-making, then Taare Zameen Par is a treat.

a special film for the special child in all of us

Author: satyanshu_singh from India
21 December 2007

for a mainstream Hindi film, the following is rare: 1. a film for children2. the only star of the film getting a limited screen space 3. high quality animation4. choosing undertones over melodrama, 5. no regular masala stuff 6. strong message that can actually change lives of people 7. conviction and honesty of the makers palpable in every frame 8. and in spite of all this, the movie offering complete, healthy entertainment...

the only problem with the audience is that although we keep shouting on the extreme want of quality cinema, meaningful cinema, when a good film actually comes, we tend to find more flaws in it than appreciating it. Are we insecure of accepting somebodies honesty and creative genius?

Sure, Taare Zameen Par has moments that could have been better, but shouldn't we just try to overlook those and once, for all, applaud the effort the makers have put...

and believe me it is not difficult... for there are innumerable other moments that leave you spellbound, a wet film over your eyes, a strange pain down your throat, a mild ache at your heart, but a pure smile on your lips... there are times you wish you were a kid...

may be it takes a child to love simple tales told with honesty and warmth... may be we grown ups have lost that quality we all once had... but Taare Zameen Par should touch a chord somewhere in every one's heart... we all have been after all, at least for some beautiful part of our lives, special. the film is dedicated to that special child in all of us...

P.S- no one can hate it...at least i would like to think that way

A splendid effort..

Author: Sreejith P C from India
21 December 2007

First point: Taare Zameen Par is not a movie for children. Its also not a movie only about 'special' children. What it stands for and depicts stunningly is how the cruel world outside is stealing away our children's precious childhood. It is about how our parents are turning into monsters and imposing their own dreams and aspirations on their children which eventually destroys our children's confidence and can only create a generation of hate. Its about how each child needs attention and care and how we so lack those qualities in this life thats bounded by time.

Aamir Khan does a fabulous job both behind and in front of the camera. There are scenes in which just his facial expressions tugs at our hearts and moves us. That is truly the hallmark of a great actor. But then, Taare Zameen Par is not about Aamir. Its truly owned by Darsheel Safary. Right from the first scene to the very end he steals the show and our hearts with his endearing acting.

Taare Zameen Par is a biting criticism of the times we live in. But it also makes you smile, laugh, cry, nod in agreement and seethe with anger.. everything that a movie is supposed to do. It truly is a movie which everyone can relate to. Reminds you that movies are meant to make us think.. to provoke us and act as a mirror of our times. Taare Zameen Par does all this and much more. Watch it if you like watching meaningful movies.

- Sreejith - dailyrium.wordpress.com

Aamir scores an Ace, TZP a natural delight.

Author: Rahul Ojha from India
21 December 2007

The ghost (director) has been resurrected in human flesh and yes, Mr Perfectionist has got it all perfect. His maiden directorial venture is a delight for one and all. Whether you are a kid, or a teenager, just married, or if you are a parent -- Yes... You'll love it! Pre-release in what appeared to be a non mainstream film, shines like a UNIVERSAL film which will keep the box office abuzz.

The story moves along at a very natural pace at which the viewer is able to connect to the 8 year old dyslexic boy played by Darsheel Safary. That is the biggest plus point of the movie, the viewer draws parallel with the boys character connecting with him at a very high emotional level. You'll reminisce and be transported back to those wonderful years of your childhood and will have more than a tear in the eye. The scene where the boy is admitted in the boarding school and bidding goodbye to his parents and brother followed by the 'Maa' song is a real tear jerker. But tears is not all what you are going to have, the screenplay makes sure that those tear jerking moments are followed by heavy doses of laughter with some lovely and innocent humorous moments.

If you thought that only Sanjay Leela Bhansali knew how to capture art on celluloid then watch TZP. The boy's bunked day at school, his room, classroom decor, and the painting competition in the end are a colorful visual delight expressing a million words to the viewers.

Yes, its true. Aamir's character appears just before the end of the first half, but one is so engrossed that Aamir - The actor's absence is not felt. Thats remarkable! All the credit goes to the protagonist played by Darsheel who in my books gives the best performance till date by a child artist in Hindi Cinema. He is the heart and soul of the movie and how naturally this boy handles scenes of intense emotions with such ease in his first movie is stunning. Tisca Chopra as the boy's mother gives a top notch performance at par, if not above the likes of roles played by Nirupa Roy, Rakhi and Kirron Kher.

Aamir the actor has a shorter but powerful role which he performs decently. But at the end of the day its Aamir - The Director who wins hands down by extracting 'A GRADE' performances from all the cast, and making a movie which connects to the heart of the viewer. The second half becomes a little slow in between and it could have been more crisp. But thats negligible because in the end the movie manages convincingly to convey a very important message to today's parents - Your kids are not race horses of a derby. Let them travel life at their pace as each has their unique mission which only they can fulfill.

Lastly, TZP just made 2007 better and interesting. The award season is knocking and well, watch out, TZP may just pull off a surprise or two by upsetting the favorites so far...

Undoubtedly the best Hindi movie of 2007

Author: Kaustubh Prasad from India
23 December 2007

If you haven't seen Taare Zameen Par, you are missing out. The best Hindi movie of 2007 without doubt. Extremely sensitively handled, and flawlessly executed performances, especially by Darsheel Safary. This movie really hits you.

In a way, everyone can relate to it, especially if you have grown up in India where most children are classified as dumb or unintelligent if they "can't" become engineers or doctors. I went in with huge expectations, and this movie exceeded them.

Some reviews have complained about situations in the movie being too simple or repetitive in parts, but I have absolutely no problems with that. This is no thriller. You know what's going to happen, but you are looking forward to it too.

The songs might not be great hits, but they gel really well with the movie. They are beautifully worded, and capture the emotions of the characters perfectly.

When the end credits started rolling, most people started walking towards the exit, but even when they had almost stopped rolling, most of them were still standing near the exit, watching the images in the end credits.

A must watch for every parent.....!

Author: lovermire from India
21 December 2007

"Taare Zameen Par" is an exceptional story, but it is only and exceptional film because of its director (Aamir). Aamir does an amazing job of engaging his audience, introducing a brilliant main character (Ishan), and making the audience experience the reality of children's paradise & their inner world. The story to which very people could relate; however, the directorial & cinematography mastery exhibits throughout allows the audience to accompany Ishan on his journey and awareness of his weakness. Anyone who has been close to the frailties of the human mind will appreciate how respectfully and honestly this film approaches the subject. Aamir is able to portray all the complex reactions to mental dimension's while maintaining the humanity and essence of the subject. Superbly directed, wonderfully acted by Tanay Chheda (ishaan) and cast, this film succeeds on every level.

Mr. Perfectionist proves the fact he can be perfectionist in anything he does, Acting or Direction. TZP is definitely worth a watch for Matured Genre more than the kids.

Author: Sreeraj Arasa from India
21 December 2007

He is known as the most versatile and talented actor Bollywood has ever known. He can carry on any role with Nth degree of perfection and Charisma, may it be a Tapori in Ghulam or a mutineer in Lagaan or even a love struck terrorist in Fanaa. That is why Bollywood calls him the Mr. Perfectionist. A movie buff can never get enough of this acting pioneer. Now what if this acting legend puts on a shoe of a director? Will he be able to do the same level of justice and perfection to direction as he does as an actor? Well an intelligent man once told, An perfectionist is not the one who finds perfection in something, but rather a perfectionist is the one who imparts perfection to anything and everything that he does. And Aamir Khan, the Mr. Perfect lives no fissure to comment about his direction or the movie in his debut movie as a Director, Taare Zameen Par. A Brilliantly done movie by this Megastar of the Tinsel Town, with a perfect message for humanity.

Taare Zameen Par is a story of a young Dyslexic Kid Ishaan Awasthi, who is unable to comprehend things that is taught to him in school and ends up being a duffer, unworthy child in his entire School. His parents too fail to realize his real problem and held's his carelessness and negligence responsible for his derogatory performance in his studies. He is shifted to a boarding school by his Dad after his Dad gets enough of Ishaan's complaints from the school. This breaks Ishaan fully and he loses all his young budding hopes filled in those innocent eyes of his, until he meets his new Art teacher Ram Shankar Nikumbh (Aamir Khan) in his Boarding school. Ram understands the problem Ishaan faces and also discovers an amazing talent hidden in Ishaan. Ram very soon realizes the fact that he is the only Hope in the sinking life of Ishaan. Now he has to help Ishaan in making him realize his Young dreams once again, he has to fill new hopes in Ishaan's life once again, he has to prove the fact that 95.5% score and a first rank in class is not what life's all about in a student, there is a much more than being just a Doctor, Engineer or a MBA.

Aamir has just done a brilliant piece of direction and proved the fact that there is no end for his perfection. He has won the hearts of the audience once again, this time it's both as a director and as an actor. What was considered as a movie for Kids has much more to tell for elder genre than for the younger. Darsheel Safary just does a double justice to his role as a dyslexic kid Ishaan and why not, afterall Mr. Perfectionist himself has directed him. This is a movie you truly are gonna remember much after you have watched it in a theater. Don't you miss it….

Oxygen to Revive the Soul

Author: danzs from India
22 December 2007

A good film on children has always been much needed for Indian film-goers. And when in this moment of dearth one gets treated to a movie that simply touches the soul - needless to say - Taare Zameen Par - does just that.

Aamir Khan proves his mettle as a director. As an actor he is fabulous. The story captures a look at a middle class family who feel the younger kid (Darsheel Safary) is not a patch on the elder one who is a topper at class. The younger one is always struggling with his ABCs and spends more time out of his class rather than inside.

Its only when he is sent to boarding school with the hope that an iron fist will help him improve that he comes across art teacher (Aamir Khan) who correctly identities his problem of suffering from dyslexia and decides to unleash his creativity and make him an achiever.

To know more one should watch this movie since it has elements that everyone could relate towards while at school or boarding, and brings into focus the need for underprivileged and slow learning children to be given the chance to prove themselves with patience and love that would help them merge with mainstream education and become worthwhile contributors.

Brilliant job Aamir and your team for treating the subject with respect, honesty and flair. Darsheel Safary as the struggling kid has done total justice to his role and puts in a performance that will always be remembered.

The movie will make you cry, make you laugh, make you rejoice and come out feeling that there are some people out there who take Indian cinema several notches higher.

Yet another quality movie from Bollywood...oh now this is taking me by surprise...

Author: camouflage_s from India
21 December 2007

Its a fine Friday morning in Kolkata...the winter vacation has just commenced...we have planned a day out...gonna watch Francis Lawrence's I Am Legend...but due to last minute change of plans under unavoidable circumstances we are reluctantly drawn into the first day first show of Taare Zameen Paar...we are a bunch of movie buffs who watch a Bollywood movie once in a blue moon...within the next 2.5 hrs our opinions had changed...

After back to back hits(Rang De Basanti,Fanaa)Amir khan could well have gone for another Masala flick...but it needs guts to for debut directing such a script...and then pull it off even more brilliantly...with such maturity n sensitivity...the field is teeming with great actors making for great first time directors...(Kevin Costner,Mel Gibson,George Clooney n so many others)...but never before in Bollywood have i seen a better example of this.....

the film is about a 8 year old dyslexic child Ishann who finds it difficult to read or write correctly or for that matter perform any such activities normal to children of his age...n inevitably has to bear the brunt of his parents,teachers n other people he interacts with...but his world is filled with magical creatures n thoughts that gives him company...his parents unable to realize his disorder...sends him to a boarding school where the child retreats into a self imposed exile and has to contend with the added trauma of separation from his family...in comes Amir khan the temporary art teacher who encourages them to extend their boundaries of thought and imaginations...n shows special interest in finding out the difficulty of Ishaan...with time patience and care he helps Ishaan find himself...

but more than the script its the way minute emotions are captured...the way the audience is made to peer into a child's mind nd its own mechanisms...scenes are a film's USP...n though you may forget the film its the scenes that u keep embedded in your heart...

n TZP is laden with powerful scenes that will give you moist eyes...there's this scene where Ishan's parents had taken him home from the boarding school...n then comes to leave him there all alone again for the 2nd time...the first time Ishaan had kept staring at his parent's car leaving...this time he turned back n walked away...while his mother kept staring back...this is Ishan's own kind of protest against his parent's unjust nd cruel decision...

and to complement the film's excellent theme there's the superbly crafted n maturely executed visual effects n animation to go with it...that sketches a child's world of imagination...the camera work is brilliant...top notch performance by all the actors...Darsheel Safary steals the limelight...quite explains why Amir wanted to rush into directing this film as he was worried the child may grow up..reminds of Satyajit ray n his Apu...though emotional n dramatic everything seems utterly realistic...

nd Amir's directing needs special mentioning here...the way he captures a child's world...a child's obsession of noticing minute things nd finding beauty in it...like the little fishes that inhabit the roadside pond...the water filled pothole being run over by vehicles...a mother bird feeding her children...

nd with so many news of children succumbing to their parent's pressure these days...the film has come out at an apt time...it will change the whole way u look at the relationship between a parent and a child i bet...its one those films which entertains nd enlightens at the same time...stop reading it any further if you haven't yet seen it..just take your child n go watch it...

but everything has its share of bad sides...though it matters little i would still like to talk about the little cons...the editing work cud have been sleeker...the film tends to drag a little in the middle...although as hard as he may have tried Amir khan is unable to break away from the shackles of orthodox Bollywood treatment...nd sum scenes are just too melodramatic...like Ishan sailing a boat he has himself designed...but probably it was to draw the traditional Bollywood audience into watching this unique movie...too many songs...though good music from Shankar Ehsan Loy on all the songs...but sum were unnecessary...that's all...it would be sacrilegious to speak ill of this film any further...

u r quite adamant aren't you??i thought i told you to stop reading n go watch the movie...now go nd..enjoy the brilliant world of alphabet crabs...velvet octopuses...absurd arts...nd inverse letters...

is any member of KoЯn dyslexic??...a friend of mine joked...as far as I am Legend is concerned...never mind...i'm going to watch it tomorrow...

A great inspiring movie for all, Every child is special

Author: mukesh kumar from India
27 December 2007

Although Bollywood releases 100s of movies every year but few of them has really left a mark on the audience for a long time. I am pretty much sure that this movie has done an excellent job for all those people who are creative but not good in academics. Many people think things differently but in India like country where competition begins at the age of 4 they are just a dumb in the society.

Amir khan has done a very good job on both sides on the screen and off the screen besides he doesn't appear too often on the screen but Darsheel Safary steals the whole movie show.What a nice performance by a 8-9 year old child you are really gonna love this child. The movie brings our sweet childhood memories back.Its a mix of emotion, laugh and cry. We can imagine how we exploit children because they are not like us or they are not able to do what their parents want them to do.

At the start, movie shows that how a little child(Darsheel Safary) is forced to do what he can't understand. He gets lowest marks in the class and he has failed once in class three.Sometimes he bunk the class and most of the time he has been out of the class because he don't understand how to turn a page number of the book or while reading letters dance so he can't read. After fear of being thrown him out of the school his parents put him in a boarding school.They think he is lazy and notorious.But in boarding school situation gets worse until a drawing teacher(Amir khan) gets an appointment as a temporary teacher. After that Amir teaches him in different way and ultimately he gets the success.

In this movie director has taken two child one who always gets first and who is punctual for his work and other one is Darsheel Safary who is not good in academics because he can't understand letters and can't memorize too much things at a time. This movie is a motivation for all kind of child and their parents. Everyone should must watch this movie at least once. If you are too emotional then u may cry with Amir khan.

Page 1 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]